• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Went to pick up my pre-order at gamestop. The line was so long there wasn't any parking left.

Went to best buy, walked in and bought it and got pre-order goodies. Lolololol

So far it's pretty nice.

Been playing for about 90 minutes, but mostly been free roaming so far.

Impressions

It took me a little longer to warm to than I expected, but it's great.

I didn't like the prologue section much at all but I understand it was basically a tutorial to get used to shooting/cover/switching characters, it just didn't feel like GTA to me. Mind you I don't like the beginning of IV much either and even San Andreas had some tedious missions at the start so it's to be expected. Also, maybe the fact I was still adjusting to the controls etc would have something to do with it.

Free roaming as Franklin (the only character I've really played as so far outside of the prologue) has been awesome. Way more fun to run around causing havoc than it was in IV.

I have only done one real mission, not counting the prologue and the one where you race Lamar to get used to how the cars handle (kind of undecided on if I like the driving as much as/more than IV yet, it's definitely different).

I did a couple of taxi jobs to earn some money for weapons. So far I've barely used guns (I blew up a bus with a grenade though which was fun and looked awesome) outside of the couple of missions. The game looks amazing when it's dark out, even more so than during the daytime imo.

Haven't heard much of the radio so far but the talkback stuff has been hilarious, and Radio Los Santos is awesome though I'd like if there was a Playback FM/Classics equivalent too.

I went to the safehouse to get away from the cops, sat down on the couch and smoked/watched TV, when I went to change the in-game TV volume the game froze and I had to turn the console off (playing on a super slim PS3). Hopefully won't happen again...

So far it feels like I need to play for another couple of hours to even scratch the surface. The scope of this game is daunting to say the least. I think once I get a few hours in I'm going to absolutely love it.

Lol was walking behind someone and hit right on the dpad, made him start talking smack to the guy ahead. He slows up and I talk again. The guy runs up and pushes me then I have him an uppercut, knocked out in one blow.

The joy of walking

carlos

NFL Linebacker barkevious mingo was in front of me in line at the midnight release lol!

lol, I honestly don't know if that's a real person; it sounds more like one of those fake football player names from the Key and Peele sketch. (no offense to Mr. Mingo, if he in fact exists).

and to all those asking, yes it runs fine on ps3, and yes, you'll like it even if you didn't like gta 4 :)

Madness

In line at the Lloyd Center Gamestop in Portland. At least 150 people here!

Lol, there's like 400+ where I am. Line is at least half a kilometer down the area now. Full of people toking up etc. No girls either. ALL guys except for two moms with like their preteen sons.

Addnan

Fuck Royal Mail, fuck everything. Game was supposed to be here, now it says it has been delivered to a safeplace. wtf. Cunts.

7 more GBs to go and speed has picked up so it shouldn't be long. So excited.

Edit: Woot, only 6 more to go! Although now it only says 12/18 GBs where before it used the thousands place. Biggest game I've downloaded from PSN so I didn't know it did this, weird.

GQman2121

Banned
Two strippers at once was hilarious just now. She invited me over once I filled the flirt meter too. I wonder if anything will come from that.

Zeliard

Still very early days but already a fun experience. The early glimpse they give you at the
character switching
(light mechanics spoiler) is very promising if it holds up later on.

Lamar is just awesome. The voice acting is just so perfect, very believable, and I love the back-and-forth between he and Franklin. Soundtrack is wonderful.

The gunplay feels good, but then I would have expected it to anyway since Euphoria is and has always been amazing. The downside is that dual analog sucks for shooters and always will, but that can't be helped here till the PC release, and I much prefer to use Free Aim over some goofy lock-on or aim assist system. I highly recommend people use Free Aim so the gunplay feels a bit more natural. It doesn't overall feel as violent as in Max Payne 3, missing some of the effects like the exit wounds, but it's still strong enough.

The cone of vision for the cops is neat and for the most part enjoyable to avoid, but it can be a bit silly if you're in a tunnel or in some other area they couldn't possibly spot you, yet you're still seen if you enter a cone of vision. However it's still fairly intuitive since you can always see the cone of visions on your map and take steps to avoid them, and for the most part when you get out of line of sight the cops are pretty much screwed. It's a lot more effective now to enter some dark alley to get away.

The performance and IQ can be rough, but really, there's only so much you can expect with ancient consoles and an ambitious open world title.

This game is fucking crazy.

It looks insanely good for this gen.

Feels nothing like GTA IV and at times nothing like GTA at all.
Interested to see how I end up liking it.

Only gripe so far is no dive like Max Payne.

Gvaz

Banned
Only while driving. When you're on foot or not moving, the game is quite stunning.

How is it bad while driving? When I'm on foot it's more obvious because im going slower. Driving sections usually lop on the blur and shit and Vaseline and you can't see shit for jaggies.

This is of course my experience with PC games because I only touch my consoles for exclusives.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Only while driving. When you're on foot or not moving, the game is quite stunning.

Ok, guess i can live with that.

I will never touch a car in this game, if i don't have to.

This game is fucking crazy.

It looks insanely good for this gen.

Feels nothing like GTA IV and at times nothing like GTA at all.
Interested to see how I end up liking it.

Only gripe so far is no dive like Max Payne.

Which console are you on?

Just finished the Install, hold me!
I got out of Best buy first in line and got home.

I'm tired but I don't work tomorrow so it's on. See you on the other side of the story mode

Good to see you guys all enjoying it, mine should arrive today, and I'll be watching breaking bad first.. But then I'm in Los Santos for the next few months! :D

Tevious

Wish I could play, but damn PSN is slowaga. Getting 1MB per 3 seconds. Looking to be about 1GB/hr at this rate. Is the US PSN cancelling the preload Grace Chen's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom