• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's doesn't feel like "weight". It feels like imprecise sluggishness. I love weighty games, but this is something else entirely; and it's not nice.

Yeah, characters movement suffers from a lot of lag and lack of precission, you have to move your sticks all the way to get them moving. The movement reminds me of the present parts of Assassins Creed where the engine seemed a whole different one from the past parts and for the worst.

So far, played for two hours or so and the game is much more boring than IV than actually i didn´t finish for being boring...

Played a few hours and I am loving it. But I am going to talk about some of the negatives here, I stole a fire truck and there is no fire missions. I got in a cop car and no crime fighting missions. A look around and there are no hidden packages or any collectibles. I did a side mission that involved a tow truck but once the mission was over that was it, it didn't unlock tow truck missions. I look at the stats and there are only 16 random events in the entire game world. Its missing so many of the things I love to just mess around with in GTA, I am kind of bummed.

I am sure as the game goes on I will be in complete love but it sucks to see so much stuff cut out.

A valid complaint.

The only negative I really have at the moment is that the controls are still far from perfect and doesn’t even feel as good as Red Dead Redemption. It can still be a pain to turn your character and tapping the sprint button really should go away. I went to the top of one of the mountains and walked right up to the ledge but fell off because my character moved forward too much even though I hardly moved the analog stick....it's all not quite as fluid as it should be even though it's still an improvement over GTA IV. Oh yeah, and whoever thought it was a good idea to map the shoot button to R2 for the PS3 version needs a slap. I changed in to R1 straight away.

pa22word

Finally got back and am finally about to play it (installing now). Had to jump through so many god damned hoops to reauthenticate my account after changing my hdd it'd make your head spin >.>

Can't wait! 360v here. Has anyone been able to spot any differences between the skus yet, or even found the native res between the two? I'm hoping it's native 720p as my TV does a nice job scaling it vs those weird resolutions games like RDR PS3 ran at.

I got whataburger on the way home from grabbing mine

tumblr_mq2f0fseMi1sxjjgqo1_r2_500.gif

A man after my own heart.

karasu

Just sitting here watching TJ Hooker while I wait for my download to finish. :| I started downloading about four hours ago. :| It took 2 hours longer than projected. :| 1GB left until install. :|

Bradach

Just about to go collect GTA5 to realise I've lost my preorder slip. It was fully paid :(

I hope they have some record of it but I doubt it. I'll chance my arm

ekim

Played a few hours and I am loving it. But I am going to talk about some of the negatives here, I stole a fire truck and there is no fire missions. I got in a cop car and no crime fighting missions. A look around and there are no hidden packages or any collectibles. I did a side mission that involved a tow truck but once the mission was over that was it, it didn't unlock tow truck missions. I look at the stats and there are only 16 random events in the entire game world. Its missing so many of the things I love to just mess around with in GTA, I am kind of bummed.

I am sure as the game goes on I will be in complete love but it sucks to see so much stuff cut out.

Afaik you can call the person that gave you the first tow mission to do more of them.

I have been laughing my ass off at the falling physics. Jumping into moving cars, slamming into the windshield, firing the gun still while being driven down the road, the person in the car screaming. Hilarious. I just hurdled a barrier on a second floor building but caught my foot. Sent him end over end head first into the windshield of a parked car. The person yells holy shit are you ok??? Lmao.

This game is awesome

Just bought the game. Now I just have to wait 'til this evening. Which is going to be totally easy and not painful, especially knowing that's right there, watching me.

pa22word

Hope there is a cheat to make it permanently night time, the framerate on ps3 is so much better at night...

Hmm...

They must be using real shadows this time around, then. The PCv of GTA IV has the same issue when you enable the shadows (like running at a solid 60 at night then dumping to 20-30 depending on where you're looking, lol).

Septimius

I'm at work. The game should arrive in the mail today. I do not want to be at work. I want to be at home. With like two pounds of chips and chocolate and this game.

Now I'll go implement something.

Addnan

Ran to the delivery office. I have it, for whatever reason the driver left it at the Royal Mail delivery office marked as delivered. The guy working the desk found it :/

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Yes! Download completed and finally installing. I had to pause the download and start it back up on PSN to get the damn thing moving again. Stuck at 93% for so long :(

Yea, exactly what I had to do. It was blazing fast getting up to 52% in 1hr then took a major nose dive. Now it has picked up to how it originally was!

Zeliard

Is it just me or is the satire really flat?

I've never been hugely impressed by the satire in any GTA game. It's always lacked a certain element of subtlety.

Where I think the writing shines here comes in the character interactions. This is evident even early on, through the back-and-forths Franklin has with Lamar and others. The dialogue is consistently interesting to listen to and it's conveyed brilliantly through the very strong voice acting and, when applicable, cutscene animations.

OKay guys, I super apologize for this but I'm probably going to get the game when I have some extra funds. But I need to know which version is the best to get without looking at comparison videos.
I want to go in completely blind. I only do a media blackout for very few games -- Portal 2 and Bioshock Infinite being the most recent. It really amplifies the experience for me.

So please, let me know which version is the best and why, without including any spoiler (on other info at all, really). I'll just scroll through in a few minutes looking for replies.

DjRoomba

Banned
Sam Houser has a weird view of the effects of Marijuana lol
Also interesting that they changed the Drunk effect. I thought the one in IV was a little more accurate

Axial

So, Rockstar adviced not to install the second disk on the console to prevent pop-in, but what if one would install the first disk on the HDD and the second one on a USB flash drive? Anyone tried that?

demolitio

Your image would be accurate for me as well if it said "...with Roman heads" since I'm demolishing the Roman Republic as Sparta in Total War right now all because I went to the one Best Buy that didn't have a midnight launch...lol

I wish they were open since I'm an insomniac anyway and there's nothing like the open road at night when there's no traffic there to piss you off.

Xamdou

Went to my local Bestbuy midnight release to get my pre-ordered plain vanilla copy of GTA V (360), walked out with a special edition 360 version plus a t-shirt and some stickers:

GTAVSpecialEditonTshirtStickers.jpg

Bestbuy GTAV Special Midnight Release Swag!

nib95

Banned
Went to my local Bestbuy midnight release to get my pre-ordered plain vanilla copy of GTA V (360), walked out with a special edition 360 version plus a t-shirt and some stickers:

GTAVSpecialEditonTshirtStickers.jpg

Haha, the hype got to you. But honestly, go standard and next gen double dip later I say.

Fjordson

So, Rockstar adviced not to install the second disk on the console to prevent pop-in, but what if one would install the first disk on the HDD and the second one on a USB flash drive? Anyone tried that?
That's the best solution really. Digital Foundry confirmed that installing the play disc to a USB drive got rid of the issues they saw when both discs were installed to the HDD.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
hahah yeah

Another in a long line of media that seems to think smoking weed is equivalent to taking strong hallucinogens.

The best one has to be Emilio Estevez's reaction to it in The Breakfast Club. Judging by the effect it has on him, it seems that Bender may have spiked it with crack or PCP or rocket fuel or gunpowder or... something.

I think it's closer to gta4 controls than max payne

Luis or Niko?

So yeah. I will receive it tomorrow, took days off already, will try and finish Outlast before it is in my hands.

Soon, man. Soon.

I've been replaying some GTA San Andreas on my PC this week in anticipation to GTA V. And after playing a few hours on the PS3 version yesterday, I must say that it's pretty hard to go from rock solid 60fps to sub-30. I wish I was playing a PC version of GTA V. Rockstar did wonders with the PS3, but there's only so much you can do with these old consoles. Also, is it me or are the texts tiny? It's pretty annoying to read the notifications and websites in that game, I wish there was an option to increase the size of the font. Here is another reason why it would be better on PC !

Other than that, the game is a blast to play as I expected. So far I regret the GTA IV driving model, but it's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom