• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data Ghost

I havent played my copy yet, but just a thought, some people are mentioning sluggish controls. Is this just how the game plays or is it to do with the fact that you can level your character up as the game progresses? (possibly resulting in tighter faster controls).

Tizoc

Question to those that have the game and gotten a little far in it, feel free to use spoiler tags btw: Does the game have 'Stealth'-like missions? Or rather missions which can be done without being discover/identified/detected?

So please, let me know which version is the best and why, without including any spoiler (on other info at all, really). I'll just scroll through in a few minutes looking for replies.

According to the streams and a few screenshot comparisons. Both versions are extremely similar. It's hard to tell the difference, both version run in 720p. I have the PS3 version and I'm not happy with the performance (it seems sub 30 to me), but it's a console GTA. So far, from my impressions and from what I've read on the spoiler thread. Both versions are amazing, just pick the game on the console you prefer (controler, online model/friend list), you can't go wrong. You can also wait for digital foundry to make its magic.

friday

Yo, this shit is for real. Just get out of the city, go on a random ass adventure. I think I was mountain biking for half an hour. Once I started driving down the freeway and through the canyons i was just blown away. I love it so far.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
One option, "]blacky[", if that is your real name, would be to cry yourself into a delusional sleep in your fevered state, and pray that those WiiU games you bargained on are as good as you hoped.

The alternative would be to lose that self-depracating man-flu schtick, get off your sorry behind, down some cough syrup, drag that toy box to the store and start trading things in for the best goddamn game your bloodshot eyes have ever seen.

Just kidding ;) Kind of wish I had a WiiU... sometimes.

Is it just me or is the satire really flat?

Feeling the same, hope it develops. I think it's because the writing is doing nothing for me, and the timing seems off. Not in this for the writing, thankfully.

So far my only real disappointment is the driving feels like steering a matchbox with a wet noodle, and the fact that trying to visit valiant-ent.tv on the phone doesn't lead to a Manhunt easter egg :p

Question to those that have the game and gotten a little far in it, feel free to use spoiler tags btw: Does the game have 'Stealth'-like missions? Or rather missions which can be done without being discover/identified/detected?

Quick response :
Yes , there is one pretty early in the game

more details :
This is how the stealth works : you have to press L3 to activate stealth mode, your character will then move slower and will make less noise, you can install kill people if you get them from behind during when in that mode. You can't crouch manually, it's been replaced by the cover system

sqwarlock

Had an amazing time at the midnight launch with two friends that went along, and now I'm sitting here with my new PS3 watching GTA V install. So pumped.

ufo8mycat

Ohhh GTA V has jaggies on 6+year old hardware.

Come on guys, you should of expected this going in. The majority of console games have jaggies. :)

Some of you make it sound like it's something new

DjRoomba

Banned
hahah yeah

Another in a long line of media that seems to think smoking weed is equivalent to taking strong hallucinogens.

yeah, you can trip on powerful weed. But
fighting aliens
definately seems like a more of an acid kinda thing and Michael walking around the house depressed after you smoke the bong adds up to this games unfortunate anti-weed stance

Played a few hours and I am loving it. But I am going to talk about some of the negatives here, I stole a fire truck and there is no fire missions. I got in a cop car and no crime fighting missions. A look around and there are no hidden packages or any collectibles. I did a side mission that involved a tow truck but once the mission was over that was it, it didn't unlock tow truck missions. I look at the stats and there are only 16 random events in the entire game world. Its missing so many of the things I love to just mess around with in GTA, I am kind of bummed.

I am sure as the game goes on I will be in complete love but it sucks to see so much stuff cut out.

Side activities I've come across:

Taxi missions
Hunting
Rampages
Assassinations
Hidden collectibles (at least one set of 50)
Flight school
Smuggling missions
Yoga
Tennis
Marathon training
Racing
All of the various Strangers and Freaks mission lines
Points of interest
Shooting range
Property management

There's tons to do. Some things open up as you progress through the story.

There are some heists where you can chose how you want to do it. Stealthy and clever or Rambo like. And there are a few stealth missions. One is really early with Franklin.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
started the game off on component, and thought "eesh, if the font on the install is unreadable...how's the game gonna be?"

Put in the HDMI (need to get another HDMI cable...), and that made ALOT of difference (obviously).

Went through some missions, to get a feel of things, before exploring.

Just... wow

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Quick Save'
65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe.gif

Don't judge the driving to harshly just off first impressions (I was put off at first), car handling can vary wildly depending on the vehicle and character stats. [Slight car spoilers]
the comet still handles like a fucking boss

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thank God I took Tuesday and Wednesday off. 3:30 AM came up quick. My Eyes are probably bloodshot from the awesome.

Shady859

Started game followed story exactly to repossession mission. Then did tow truck freaks mission for crackhead girl and saw the strip club near.... Went from $400 to $4
never got any action. So real!!!! Lol

Don't judge the driving to harshly just off first impressions (I was put off at first), car handling can vary wildly depending on the vehicle and character stats. [Slight car spoilers]

Yes, this. I'm a big fan of GTA IV driving physics and at the beginning of GTAV something feel strange, not better or worse, but strange. But now I'm gettin used and the characters abilities are increasing, and the feel is much much better (love to nigh racing with Franklin).

ufo8mycat

Hmm...

They must be using real shadows this time around, then. The PCv of GTA IV has the same issue when you enable the shadows (like running at a solid 60 at night then dumping to 20-30 depending on where you're looking, lol).

wha?! On a low-end PC?
Pretty sure on a high-end PC its constant 60fps
Correct me if I am wrong

Riggs

Banned
Started game followed story exactly to repossession mission. Then did tow truck freaks mission for crackhead girl and saw the strip club near.... Went from $400 to $4
never got any action. So real!!!! Lol

DO NOT try and take FiFi home hahaha, she is a good girl and wouldn't fuck me!!!! How dare she.

crozier

Installed and played through the introduction. I like what I've played immensely so far, but I have to admit that I preferred car handling in GTA IV (which I alone apparently thought was near perfection). After playing through TLoU last week the graphics are extremely underwhelming too, although obviously this is an open-world game whereas TLoU is not. The framerate is rock solid, though.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

I'd recommend the same. The driving model didn't click with me until I was a few hours in. I wouldn't change a thing now. It's the best there's been in a GTA title.

Reducing the steering sensitivity to the lowest setting helped improve my impressions of the driving model too.

Shady859

DO NOT try and take FiFi home hahaha, she is a good girl and wouldn't fuck me!!!! How dare she.

Ditto that on Cheetah. Dance, double dance, made it rain while at stage till I couldn't make it rain and tried again..
Hahaha

I did notice the announcer say one girl coming to the stage is a dirty girl... But I was broke!

Riggs

Banned
Reading this post in Ricky's voice delivers

Holy fuck this pepperoni is good

LOL, you made my night, I re read it in Ricky's voice .... I think I am getting a complex rofl. Dude this game is so fucking legit. I never drinl at 4 am, but we are getting fucked up tonight bots. I AM GONNA GET DRUNK AS FUCK, FUCK, FUCK ....

And I am blowing up my car, fireworks later also. Just don't buy anything from burgershot, aka dirty burger. They are selling swish!!

nowai

Got my midnight launch copy!

I was playing some Killzone on my Vita while waiting in line and dude in front of me asked "yo, is that a Wii U?" His buddy said "nah man, that's a... a... Vista."

I knew the Vita is having sales issues, but FFS, it's hard to sell when people don't even know what it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom