• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevasleep

GvBSZzP.png

Installing now :D

hal9001

Banned
Okay the game just arrived this morning. First impressions are good. The intro
prologue
was surprising and very well done. Very cinematic way to start the game and get the player used to the controls. The graphics/Lighting are an improvement from GTA IV and look amazing for an open world game on such old hardware. Also on a side note I have to say the ocean looked stunning when I first saw it and jumped for a swim.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Woke up this morning to find the download completed, and the game even installed itself after. Nice! Now off to work to think about what I wish I were at home playing

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Delete, redownload and let it install as part of the same process. Do not go to background downloading! Just find something else to pass the time.

I did background downloading and it worked fine. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

120gb Slim here with a 500gb 7200rpm HDD instead.

Venfayth

I played through the first mission as Francis, game froze, had to restart PS3.

Game wouldn't load after that. It'd get stuck on "Loading Story Mode" for >10 minutes.

Just deleted my save file, hoping this will help, but I don't think it's going to, the background of the loading screen isn't changing at all. Fuck.

So, I left my house and then hailed a cab to the airport. I arrived at the airport and then stole a nice car and jumped over a ramp into the runway area of the airport. I drove to a plane and then flew it all the way up to the highest point on Mount Chiliad. I make a safe landing with one backpacker screaming "Yo, this is some movie like shit!” I then get out of the plane and point my gun at him while someone else yells "I'll let the police handle this" as he dials on his phone. I then shoot them both as two dirt bikes right beside me catch my attention. I decide to jump on one and make my way down the mountain with little control. Moments later I fall off my bike and am starting to fall off the side of the mountain. I was going to die.....but I remembered that I had a parachute! With excitement in the air I quickly try to yank out my parachute but am too late by mere seconds as I splat onto the road.

Yep, I love this game.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Got the game this morning!

I have a question about popup though. Did anyone else have a lot during the opening credits? Might just be my Xbox DVD drive though, because it's been pretty fucked the past few months.

glaurung

FUCK I DIDN'T KNOW THIS

OMG
There might be pockets of land that are closed off for some story stuff, but I managed to do the following shortly after completing the first Franklin mission:
  1. Get in trouble, escape North.
  2. Get in more trouble, crash my car.
  3. Keep going North.
  4. Shake the pursuers (and a heli).
  5. Find an Ammu-Nation store in the hills.
  6. Bought a new jacket, repainted my handgun with a nice brown/gold army color scheme.
  7. Stole another car, crashed it on the beach.
  8. Stole an ATV from some folks frolicking on the beach.
  9. Slowly made my way back South, counter-clockwise circling the island.
  10. Eventually reached the big city again.
  11. Stole a BMX bike, pedaled home.
After that I saved, turned off the game and slept for two hours. Came to work.
I've played 10 hours so far and only discovered maybe 30 percent of the whole map.
My tour only uncovered the tiniest sliver of map, just the immediate surroundings of the big road. There is so much more inside and outside that circle.
"Discover"? As in, the map is blacked out from start? Fog of War?
Yes. The map is dark when you start. It fills in the places where you have been and some of the initial map objects.

dandoolan

After all that hastle, it just showed up. Turns out the mail man simply marked it as delivered as he was putting it in his van this morning. To save time when doing the rounds.

Only problem is, I took it as delivered to the wrong address, as did the post office when I called. The only people who predicted what had happened correctly before I finally found out were bloody amazon. The Amazon guy said during a earlier phone call that he wouldn't be surprise if that's what had happened.

Nuts.

Anyway,

IT'S HAPPENING!

Someone in this thread told me that, after the events of last night, I needed to get the game, some beers and just say "fuck it"...

And that's exactly what I've decided to do. Installing the game now.

My disc drive wouldn't open at first, though, so that was a bit frustrating.

gtrunner

Banned
can some one explain what the install screen looks like. i have been sitting at a black screen with misc playing for 20 minus with no hard drive activity.

HoodWinked

got done playing for 4 hours the lighting in this game is really fantastic.

can some one explain what the install screen looks like. i have been sitting at a black screen with misc playing for 20 minus with no hard drive activity.

on the ps3 version there is a counter on the bottom right with a slide show of the gta5 promo art.

I did not sleep at all, I just explored Los Santos. And now i have a geology exam in an hour.

Worth it.

This game is seriously going to consume all of my free time.

Got the game this morning!

I have a question about popup though. Did anyone else have a lot during the opening credits? Might just be my Xbox DVD drive though, because it's been pretty fucked the past few months.

PS3 version here. Haven't noticed any pop in at all actually. I have done more walking and such though then full blown sports car driving though. I was on a jet ski out in the ocean and was looking at the skyline and didn't notice any pop in either

Gandie

Man, my 360 must be dying. There are jaggies everywhere, some textures don't even load. I checked out the GB quick look and the game looks way better there. Any way to fix this?

nib95

Banned
Oh FFS. I get the staff discounted retail copy and then TWO just come through the post now. My Amazon copy, AND a copy I forgot I ordered from Tesco lol. Le sigh. Might ring my cousins and see if any of them have yet to buy it.

Madness

How can anyone not be impressed with what Rockstar has achieved. Holy shit, I'm in awe at the sheer size of the city and the random things going on at any given time. The aliasing is pretty bad and it's my only gripe.

This is a game that will really shine on pc/next gen however.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Man, my 360 must be dying. There are jaggies everywhere, some textures don't even load. I checked out the GB quick look and the game looks way better there. Any way to fix this?

Think I have something similar on mine. Although the popup isn't that bad during gameplay, the opening credits were pretty bad.
I've watched the video of the Play disc install/uninstalled comparison and it looks exactly like it does in that video when the play disc IS installed.

So, I left my house and then hailed a cab to the airport. I arrived at the airport and then stole a nice car and jumped over a ramp into the runway area of the airport. I drove to a plane and then flew it all the way up to the highest point on Mount Chiliad. I make a safe landing with one backpacker screaming "Yo, this is some movie like shit!” I then get out of the plane and point my gun at him while someone else yells "I'll let the police handle this" as he dials on his phone. I then shoot them both as two dirt bikes right beside me catch my attention. I decide to jump on one and make my way down the mountain with little control. Moments later I fall off my bike and am starting to fall off the side of the mountain. I was going to die.....but I remembered that I had a parachute! With excitement in the air I quickly try to yank out my parachute but am too late by mere seconds as I splat onto the road.

Yep, I love this game.

My god Tricky...you are making my wait till after work hard. I need this in my life!

Spawnofmoose

Neo Member
According to Royal Mail my copy arrived in my distribution office today but the postman has been and gone so I guess I'm not getting my copy until tomorrow.

NeoGiff

That sucks. I downloaded in background and everything went smoothly for me.

You're lucky! I'm beyond annoyed with this. Checked it out and it seems like it's a common error with the PSN version.

I'm restoring the file system now, after which I'll try to install it one more time. If it still gets stuck at 14%...I'll have to wait to download it again tonight.

HoodWinked

try clearing your cache, deleting some other files off your hdd (hdd typically work better when at less than 60% capacity), make sure that you installed the game install and the disc install on two separate storage devices.

for jaggies thats just how the game is but tv display settings can make them more pronounced, make sure youre using no overscan (1:1 pixel or 'fit'), set your sharpness to 0 (sharpness on tv is garbage and everyone recommends to disable it), disable any edge enhancement settings

Does Franklin's storyline ever stop being completely painful to experience? There's only so much I can stand of extreme gangsta stereotypes.

Lol, I'm trying to be focused at work atm but am working on 2 hours of sleep, no coffee and I know GTA is waiting for me when I get home. FML today is going to sssuucckk. I am off Wednesday and Thursday though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom