• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norns

First impressions:

-IQ is absolutely dreadful.
-Driving is really enjoyable. So glad they ditched the more realistic driving mechanics of GTAIV. Maneuvering through traffic is actually fun again.
-Character switching is now essential for all GTA games moving forward. Love it.
-They recaptured LA to a tee. The highways, the neighborhoods, the buildings, the atmosphere, just about everything. Well, maybe not the traffic. :p
-Cinematic camera angles during chases. A nice damn touch.

It's really not.

I'm curious, how high is the sharpness turned up on your TV?

ufo8mycat

I'm kinda bummed at how this game runs. Between the pretty damn average framerate, enough jaggies to cut your eyes out, lots of pop-ins, and a lot of muddy textures. Some parts look fantastic but then things start to chug and it's a bit rough. Not that I won't play the hell out of it but coming from almost entirely PC gaming the last year to this, it's VERY noticeable.

You obviously game on PC for a reason - because 25-30fps bothers you, along with popin etc. I honestly don't know what you were expecting. :D

My advise - Just wait for the PC release.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It legitimately amazed me. They took the mechanic wholesale from GTA IV, where it also didn't work, but added lock on. But the 'spray and pray' drive-by aspect of shooting from a car is lost with lock-on, and hitting a target is very difficult without it.

When the game actually expects you to shoot from a car while driving it, sometimes with expected accuracy, I was honestly surprised. The game mechanic isn't good enough to sustain gameplay.

Can you turn auto-aim off when driving? I hate auto aim and was quite handy with the GTA IV drive-shooting.

Did u compare it with the ps3 physical or anything? or the streams?

I haven't compared it to anything. Only my 20 years of playing video games. And plenty of open world games on both consoles and PC. The pop in hasn't been that noticeable to me, at all, and I have been mostly a PC gamer since 2011.

I think some people just love to nitpick stuff. I'm gonna enjoy the game, you guys talk about IQ all you want.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm really happy to see that the 360 controller works great on PS3 with that game. Some games are really bad for that (either because the mapping is weird on the 360 pad or the deadzones are fucked up).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I installed mine onto a 32GB 3.0 flash driver and it's running buttery smooth. They're so cheap now there's no reason not to.

For anyone interested in this route, I highly recommend one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCZI8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not the exact one I have, but the same Read/Write speeds.

I got a 16GB Cruzer Blade on order.You don't happen to know the read/write speeds on it (or, indeed, how to find out)?

Rey

So for those like me who actually enjoyed IV's driving mechanics how are you liking the new game's style?

For me personally its a huge step back from GTA4. There is almost no suspension in the cars.. The crashes are less spectacular because it feels like its missing the physics from GTA4. I tried to get launched thru the windshield and could not succeed. You can basicely go flat out without worrying about crashing.

Glad I took this entire week off. Baby is at daycare. Wife is at work.

It's 5 o Clock somewhere! Even if it is 10:18AM here...

PZgD8T5.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
INSTALL WHILE SHOWERING

HAJABKSJWJLBQJQJD

RDreamer

What's wrong with controls? The controls are fine, the game plays not much different from RDR.

Aiming and driving are just janky for me. I feel like I'm fighting the controls rather than the enemies or the traffic. The first car you use in the first mission felt like it was driving on ice, too. Any tiny movement sent it spiraling around. Aiming still feels weird and clunky like GTA IV did. I feel like the fact that they still have their weird auto aim shit in it acknowledges that they know it doesn't feel right.

Norns

Just the default settings with Game Mode turned on. Jaggies are painfully distracting outdoors.

You're right. I was just playing Arma 3 before I picked up my copy.

The game default on a lot of TVs have sharpness levels fairly high, try turning it down.

For me personally its a huge step back from GTA4. There is almost no suspension in the cars.. The crashes are less spectacular because it feels like its missing the physics from GTA4. I tried to get launched thru the windshield and could not succeed. You can basicely go flat out without worrying about crashing.

What the hell....that was one of my favorite parts of IV. Ugh

Calion

It is.

Jaggies everywhere and jarringly bad pop-in. I'm playing it on a Spyder calibrated monitor, so sat quite close, but the IQ is bad. There is no way round that.

Yup. Controls, jaggies, noticeable frame rate drops during the day, and muddled textures. Just look at car damage. It's disappointing as fuck.

cackhyena

First impressions:

-IQ is absolutely dreadful.
-Driving is really enjoyable. So glad they ditched the more realistic driving mechanics of GTAIV. Maneuvering through traffic is actually fun again.
-Character switching is now essential for all GTA games moving forward. Love it.
-They recaptured LA to a tee. The highways, the neighborhoods, the buildings, the atmosphere, just about everything. Well, maybe not the traffic. :p
-Cinematic camera angles during chases. A nice damn touch.
lol

smr00

Banned
Game looks and runs fine to me :-/

Guess i am not that picky about it. Been a console gamer most my life so low res, jaggies and all that has never ruined my experience or bothered me.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus this game is so good. Every mission so far has been extremely enjoyable.

Also - Michael is the biggest badass in a long, long time. Also biggest asshole, haha.

Karak

Glad I took this entire week off. Baby is at daycare. Wife is at work.

It's 5 o Clock somewhere! Even if it is 10:18AM here...

PZgD8T5.jpg

Looks like you are well prepared.

Jesus this game is so good. Every mission so far has been extremely enjoyable.

Also - Michael is the biggest badass in a long, long time. Also biggest asshole, haha.

I admit I made him look like Tom Cruise in Collateral as my first job.

Norns

Guess i am not that picky about it. Been a console gamer most my life so low res, jaggies and all that has never ruined my experience or bothered me.

It's GAF man...

I play games on a high end PC, and still think the game is impressive.

ufo8mycat

I don't know what PC gamers coming to the console version of GTA V were expecting. 6 year old hardware.

GTA V jaggies etc is normal.
Sleeping Dogs on console has it
RDR has it
<insert any open-world game on console here> has it

Hell you don't even have to limit it to open world games.

This is nothing new :D

Yeah, given the scale and ambition it's pretty amazing what they pulled off on such ancient hardware. Sure enough, I would have prefered a PC version as well, but I can still enjoy a game as well-made as this.

ironcreed

Banned
What's wrong with controls? The controls are fine, the game plays not much different from RDR.

Hell, I was thinking how improved they are even from Red Dead. Everything feels tight and smooth, the camera is not a wonk-fest, and the driving has been refined to the sweet spot. I love how it plays.

Yup. Controls, jaggies, noticeable frame rate drops during the day, and muddled textures. Just look at car damage. It's disappointing as fuck.

This is what happens when you set your expectations for a seven year old console as high as a current PC. This game or any game for that matter that is released on these consoles are going to show their age. If you cannot accept that fact, then it is best that you wait for the PC release. It just boggles my mind that so many people had such unrealistic expectations for a game released on seven year old hardware (which was not even that great when it was released).

I still wish they would add a " camera lock " feature while driving. So you could set it to a certain point, then lock it down so it doesn't move.

Anyone else finding it fun to drive around in cinematic mode? heh. It gets tricky here and there, but love the angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom