• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merovin

Three more hours to go, and my work productivity is almost negative already.

tumblr_m9evsjgKDL1refaz7o1_400.gif

My problem right now. Just waiting... Need to get home.

Alienous

Whoever said shoot and drive was fucked is right.

It legitimately amazed me. They took the mechanic wholesale from GTA IV, where it also didn't work, but added lock on. But the 'spray and pray' drive-by aspect of shooting from a car is lost with lock-on, and hitting a target is very difficult without it.

When the game actually expects you to shoot from a car while driving it, sometimes with expected accuracy, I was honestly surprised. The game mechanic isn't good enough to sustain gameplay.

Darklord

Banned
I'm kinda bummed at how this game runs. Between the pretty damn average framerate, enough jaggies to cut your eyes out, lots of pop-ins, and a lot of muddy textures. Some parts look fantastic but then things start to chug and it's a bit rough. Not that I won't play the hell out of it but coming from almost entirely PC gaming the last year to this, it's VERY noticeable.

bjork

Went to a 24h Wal-Mart about 4:30 this morning, after work. Some other guy was there looking for it too. He gave up and I was not far behind him, but he stopped and asked a worker who pointed out that they were at a register up front, and not in electronics. We both headed over and got our games. No idea what the chance is he's a gaffer but if you read this, thanks for asking, dude. I wasn't going to!

My first day one retail purchase in maybe 6-7 years? Hope it's good :)

oxidax

So if the PSN version is indeed the worst version (not that it has been confirmed yet but just in case) could sony give us a refund?

h00ters

The game is a phenomenal achievement considering it is running on hardware which was sourced in early 2005. To those complaining about the framerate, I've rarely spotted mine dip below anything noticeable. Yes, it's not 60 FPS, but considering the hardware, you can make a trade off, would you want the incredible draw distance and sense of scale, or a lock on 60 FPS and a much more geographically contained experience?

I'm kinda bummed at how this game runs. Between the...average framerate, enough jaggies to cut your eyes out, and a lot of muddy textures. Some parts look fantastic but then things start to chug and it's a bit rough. Not that I won't play the hell out of it but coming from almost entirely PC gaming the last year to this, it's VERY noticeable.

I keep seeing comments like this and I have to wonder, what did you expect? These consoles are seven years old. It is downright ridiculous to expect a game of this scope to produce IQ/Textures/Frame-rate that are anywhere near your expectations. Personally, from the videos and screenshots that I have seen I'm shocked it looks/runs as good as it does.

So if the PSN version is indeed the worst version (not that it has been confirmed yet but just in case) could sony give us a refund?

I would be shocked if Sony issued a refund. Your best course of action if you are truly dissatisfied with the purchase is to take it up with your credit card company.

NeoGaffer

Neo Member
BUMP

Can anyone confirm if the game has XMB (for PS3 users) custom soundtrack, and if so, are there any kind of limitations/restrictions?

Asks a user with a DRIVER avatar.

I've read somewhere that there's a radio station for your custom soundtrack.

anyone else in the UK and your code for atomic blimp not working? cos mine isnt.. ><

Oh man, my Atomic Blimp code isn't working, lame.

Same here. (EU PS3)

For those of you who's blimp code isn't working - I read online on the plpaystation forum someone who got through to customer service and replied via email:

''Firstly, do check that your disc, console, and PSN account are all from the same region. Also, the codes may not work immediately at release. Assuming that there's no region issue, please wait until after 7:00pm EST and see if the code works then''. EDT - 8pm. GMT(UK) - MIDNIGHT. Hope this helps.

http://community.eu.playstation.com...-V-Atomic-blimp-dlc-not-working/td-p/19758497

Vidpixel

I'm picking this up on break at work with a gift card I found. It's the girlfriend's birthday though, so I probably won't be able to embark in all the anarchy until later this evening.

kazebyaka

Banned
I keep seeing comments like this and I have to wonder, what did you expect? These consoles are seven years old. It is downright ridiculous to expect a game of this scope to produce IQ/Textures/Frame-rate that are anywhere near your expectations. Personally, from the videos and screenshots that I have seen I'm shocked it looks/runs as good as it does.
I agree, the game looks absolutely mind boggling for 7 year old hardware. I don't understand why people bitch about it. If you don't like framerate so much, why do you own a console at all?

Did anyone's else car vanish after they put it in Franklin's garage after the first mission? Where can I retrieve it?

Also I'm playing the PSN version and I am not noticing any horrible pop in. Pretty much the normal pop in you can expect from a game like this on current gen. The pop in isn't bad at all.

Brawl96

Has anyone have been having problems signing into the app?
I downloaded yesterday afternoon and have been getting errors ever since.

Nevasleep

you lucky folks have fun gaming . i want to play it.. argh... tomorrow is my free day of work for this week and amazon uk still has not dispatched -.- i am f***ed. but buying and reselling for one day or two seems silly. ugh.

Buy it, send back Amazon (say it arrived late).

fourstorks

Neo Member
Just woke up, game took a grand total of 3.5ish hours to DL on PSN and I'm installing now. Good thing I took my vacation this week...

Honestly, the PSN purchase wasn't that bad when you consider the chaos that was the midnight release in my town. Made local news and shit, yo.

Amagon

I'm kinda bummed at how this game runs. Between the pretty damn average framerate, enough jaggies to cut your eyes out, lots of pop-ins, and a lot of muddy textures. Some parts look fantastic but then things start to chug and it's a bit rough. Not that I won't play the hell out of it but coming from almost entirely PC gaming the last year to this, it's VERY noticeable.
My feelings exactly, will definitely pick up another copy for next gen consoles or pc because of this.

plainr_

First impressions:

-IQ is absolutely dreadful.
-Driving is really enjoyable. So glad they ditched the more realistic driving mechanics of GTAIV. Maneuvering through traffic is actually fun again.
-Character switching is now essential for all GTA games moving forward. Love it.
-They recaptured LA to a tee. The highways, the neighborhoods, the buildings, the atmosphere, just about everything. Well, maybe not the traffic. :p
-Cinematic camera angles during chases. A nice damn touch.

oxidax

Did anyone's else car vanish after they put it in Franklin's garage after the first mission? Where can I retrieve it?

Also I'm playing the PSN version and I am not noticing any horrible pop in. Pretty much the normal pop in you can expect from a game like this on current gen. The pop in isn't bad at all.

Did u compare it with the ps3 physical or anything? or the streams?

Darklord

Banned

I think it looks a lot shitter in-game than any of the screenshots. I didn't expect wonders but damn, when a game like Sleeping Dogs has been out for ages and then you look at this. It's rough.

filipe

Get a big flash drive and install the other disc on that. S'what I'm gonna do... as soon as said flash drive turns up. :)

I installed mine onto a 32GB 3.0 flash driver and it's running buttery smooth. They're so cheap now there's no reason not to.

For anyone interested in this route, I highly recommend one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCZI8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not the exact one I have, but the same Read/Write speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom