• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, this game exceeds all my expectations. Coming from IV last night, it absolutely astounding that Rockstar achieved the visuals and atmosphere on the same consoles. The story is excellent so far, the voice actions is great, and the whole world just feels alive. Shooting, driving, melee, all much improved, and the pacing blows IV away. Shootout, car chases, cool objectives already?!

I just finished Lester's first mission and can not wait to see where the story goes. As a huge fan of crime fiction, I am loving the plot. Michael is such a cool character.

And the cop AI! Wow, haven't been this impressed since the cops in Most Wanted (PS2) tried to do a rolling roadblock. And the line of sight system is so great. So satisfying to park out of sight, turn the headlights off, and watch the cops drive past.

My GOTY and I've only played three hours

Derrick01

Banned
I can't get enough of punching people in this game. I ran up and punched this one chick standin on a corner so hard her headphones went flying out into traffic.

RDreamer said:
Holy shit the shooting controls are still sooo bad

They definitely do take some getting used to. I had some guys standing far away and could barely see where I was aiming.

I just got my cabbie killed by telling him to hurry up through a random police shoot out. He ended up hitting a police officer and they shot the shit out of the car lol

hal9001

Banned
I really wish there was a option for classic controls x (accelerate) and square (break). Why have Rockstar not given us the option. I am too used to the classic controls.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda feel alone for not being a GTA fan heh :) Still following the thread and pondering if I should pick it up for 360 just for the heck of it or wait until a PC or PS4 port arrives. I played GTA 4 for like 30 minutes until being bored and never touched it again, same with 3 and SA.

Dammit GAF.

MYE

"THERE, THATS MY BOAT"
"Your boat's in a fucking hurry, man!"

lool, loving the dialogue. Game looks fantastic damn!

Moobabe

Repost for new page and all that

Just started having audio issues around about the first
heist mission
anyone else in a similar boat? PS3 version here.

Also -
can you play and do heists whenever you want? Or are they pre-determined by story? The planning element seems really cool

I kinda feel alone for not being a GTA fan heh :) Still following the thread and pondering if I should pick it up for 360 just for the heck of it or wait until a PC or PS4 port arrives. I played GTA for like 30 minutes until being bored and never touched it again, same with 3 and SA.

Dammit GAF.

if under 30 fps bothers you dont

why reviews dont mention the poor performance, I dont know

newsguy

I can't get enough of punching people in this game. I ran up and punched this one chick standin on a corner so hard her headphones went flying out into traffic.

Same here. Euphoria makes knocking dudes out feel amazing. I took a running start and knocked a guy into a moving car.

jrcbandit

any tips on driving fast cars without crashing into everything (ps3 version)

Be very light on the controller/your movements. Also, I found it easier to use the normal brake rather than the handbrake to maintain control. I only really use the handbrake if I want to spin around and go in the exact opposite direction.

Atsumi

This is my first post - SUP BROS.

40MHgZz.jpg

Are those coasters? Because that would be awesome.

So launch night in the Mission district in San Francisco was pretty cool. This van pulled up around 11.30 and P.R. people poured out with swag for the crowd. I got a keychain shaped like the extermination van in the game. A "Five" sticker. A rockstar pen and a GTA5 poster. (will post picks when I get home later). Others got t-shirts and sticker packs.

Not sure if others experienced this, but it was pretty cool of Rockstar to arrange that.

rouken

just did boat mission with jimmy. man the vmissions really are varied this time. and i love jimmy's interaction with franklin.

still getting used to the driving, its a mixture of gta 4 and saints row driving. but im really hating on using the ds3 triggers to accelerate, might need to buy the trigger enhancement.

i dont notice the fps drops people keep crying about in the ps3 version. but there are definitely pop ins. also the ps3 drive is really going all out on the disc. i hope it wouldnt cause a problem.

SRTtoZ

4. Responding to my text messages with Taneisha, and the game implies that you have options about what you can respond. I haven't seen ANY other options other than the one sentence provided. Perhaps I'm looking for a LITTLE more rpg in this, but even if i have to come to the same outcome, I don't want to always say what they're asking me to say HOW they want me to say it. A little more Walking Dead/Mass Effect in this would've helped greatly with the immersion.

Yea this bothered me too. I'm still early on in the game so I assume that we have no other options with that conversation...

Either that or I have no clue how to select another option.

rezn0r

Holy shit, this game exceeds all my expectations. Coming from IV last night, it absolutely astounding that Rockstar achieved the visuals and atmosphere on the same consoles.

I'm glad you said this, I won't get to play for another ~3 hours but I busted out GTA IV last night to bang out the few offline achievements I never got and I was amazed at how dated it looked... and was hoping it'd be a cool contrast to the new one.

I've played about 7 hours so far. Absolutely phenomenal experience.

A couple of questions...

Will my cars always respawn if I park them in a garage just once? How many cars can you save? I'm hesitant to pour money into customization until I have a grasp on how the system works.

And what is the blue bar for beneath the mini map? Green is health, yellow is special ability, and blue I have no clue about. It certainly doesn't seem to be stamina, which would have been nice...

Hale-XF11

The Blimp is amazing

It really is. I flew over the entire map at night and everything was lit up everywhere. Then I crashed into the side of a mountain and my blimp exploded just as I bailed out and rolled down a mountain. Can't believe I survived that.

LevityNYC

Banned
The script for the first 90 minutes:

N-word, n-word, n-word, n-word, n-word, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, bitch, bitch, bitch.

I hope it gets better soon.

DJ88

The sky in this game is breathtaking to look at. I love the way the clouds are actually lit by the sun and moon in real time. Man I'm actually glad they made the country and wilderness portion of the map so much bigger than the city. After Liberty City, it's so refreshing to just drive around through those back roads and mountains at night with just the moonlight lighting your way. I spent most of my play time there last night so by the end of it, I was actually looking forward to going back into the city. It's a perfect escape when you need to take a break from everything that's going on in Los Santos.

Septimius

Why am I this excited that GTAV can be connected to my phone?! There's something so futuristic about this. Makes the GTAV world seem extremely persistent. I just managed to log in to the app for the first time just now.

EDIT: and now I'm out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom