• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, this game exceeds all my expectations. Coming from IV last night, it absolutely astounding that Rockstar achieved the visuals and atmosphere on the same consoles. The story is excellent so far, the voice actions is great, and the whole world just feels alive. Shooting, driving, melee, all much improved, and the pacing blows IV away. Shootout, car chases, cool objectives already?!

I just finished Lester's first mission and can not wait to see where the story goes. As a huge fan of crime fiction, I am loving the plot. Michael is such a cool character.

And the cop AI! Wow, haven't been this impressed since the cops in Most Wanted (PS2) tried to do a rolling roadblock. And the line of sight system is so great. So satisfying to park out of sight, turn the headlights off, and watch the cops drive past.

My GOTY and I've only played three hours

Wait you mean like...Drive? Seriously?!

Eusis

Has there ever been local co-op in a 3D GTA that wasn't San Andreas' hidden missions?
That's actually happened? I was thinking more when have we seen local co-op in an open world game PERIOD. These are massive settings that are ram/streaming intensive, unless you force players to stick together in small areas (likely what SA did) it's not going to work on current hardware. Maybe with RAM going way up on next gen consoles something can be done, but even there I suspect it's a vain pursuit.

The script for the first 90 minutes:

N-word, n-word, n-word, n-word, n-word, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, bitch, bitch, bitch.

I hope it gets better soon.

What would "better" constitute in this situation, given that the early part of the game is set in urban LA with young black male characters?

That's actually happened? I was thinking more when have we seen local co-op in an open world game PERIOD. These are massive settings that are ram/streaming intensive, unless you force players to stick together in small areas (likely what SA did) it's not going to work on current hardware. Maybe with RAM going way up on next gen consoles something can be done, but even there I suspect it's a vain pursuit.

Yeah, San Andreas had secret split screen stuff.

Eusis

The PSP GTA games had local co-op through adhoc.
The core of the problem as I saw it was that open world games were just too hardware pushing to make local co-op on a single system really practical. Something where each person has their own hardware on the other hand should be cake, just tracking the positions and activities of two people in the same world, but each person with hardware to render the game. Kind of like a (way) smaller scale MMO really.

Well, my SE is sitting next to me for the 360. Picked up a 32 Gb USB 3.0 thumb drive to hopefully not have to use the disk drive (I don't want to wake up the entire city of Portland when I play) but now I just wait ... 3 more hours of work.

BTW, the steelcase is amazing. I love the look of the classic covers with the usual poster look, but this is one great looking case.

Never using Amazon again.
No later than Thursday, if they expect any more money from me they can fuck off.

I learned my lesson with them. I tried about 3 or so "release date deliver" and all but 1 (FFXIII, lol) arrived late. Great for games in general but for release date delivery I'll never look to them for games I can't wait a day two.

njean777

sounds like a Tarantino film. and last i checked, that motherfucker earns Oscars.

It also has to do with it being the culture that R* is trying to represent. I already had a soapbox post earlier, but if they didn't talk like this it would sound and be fake as hell.

Stat!

Not sure if anyone picked up GTA and knows this but my friend wanted to get it at Best Buy but not sure if he'll get the atomic blimp DLC. He did not pre-order. Will he?

imag0457gqsm4.jpg

Hah! I found one! At the Bart Smit in Oosterhout of all places.

Septimius

I think the game looks great. I mean, I'm not blown away. TLOU still has details beat by a long-shot, but I don't expect a game this size to be as detailed, especially on such aged hardware. Confined spaces and great detail, or a huge, open world with amazing amount of content. TLOU and this game really are the pinnacle of each setting.

I think the game looks great. I mean, I'm not blown away. TLOU still has details beat by a long-shot, but I don't expect a game this size to be as detailed, especially on such aged hardware. Confined spaces and great detail, or a huge, open world with amazing amount of content. TLOU and this game really are the pinnacle of each setting.

yeah 30 fps is a dream right, dream on you crazy diamonds ...

So is it a bad day to wander into a Gamestop or wherever and pick up a copy of the game? I'm assuming R* shipped way more units than there were preorders right?

Just went out with a buddy to get him a copy and the Gamestop here turned anyone around that didn't have a reserve.

Animal

Banned
I have the ps3 version running on a ps3 slim 120GB and the game runs beautifully.

I can't believe how good this open world game looks and moves. Congratulations Rockstar.

Five

Banned
Lovely game, but certainly not without issues. I've only just done the first mission for Lester, so some of these may get better or I might run into other problems.

I wish there was an option to turn off the grading system after missions. I don't care to go for gold, but seeing a bronze or silver most of the time can be disheartening.

I get that some people in real life can swear a lot, but maybe they didn't need to be so realistic in that regard. The level of profanity is distractingly high. I'm not comfortable playing this in front of my kid brother, whom I was content to let watch Saints Row.

A lot of the default settings seem to the worse choice, though maybe this is subjective. The reticle is tiny, the car camera is too low, the safe screen space is all the way pinched in.

The first two driving situations you're put in are fairly difficult. In the truck in the snow isn't too bad, and would be forgivable on its own, but the car repo is insane. You're given an incredibly fast car that over handles, put in a city that you've never been to before and expected to race. That's preposterous, which is a shame because I'm starting to really like how the driving handles after driving around more.

I spent a good couple of hours not realizing you could move around in the map or set waypoints. I didn't realize you had to select the map option, which seems to be a redundancy at first. When neither the d-pad nor either of the sticks or triggers moved my map cursor, I just assumed it was hardwired to only center on your position and not zoom. Also, I've been hardwired by almost every other game this generation to hit select for bringing up the map. I wish R3 was used for changing camera instead, and pulling down on RS was used for looking back as in SR.

The game occasionally forgets where I've parked my car. I haven't gotten any message about it being impounded, so I'm guessing it's not that. Worse, it seems to forget where I've parked cars I own more easily than ones I've stolen. I've taken to calling taxi cabs because I just don't feel like stealing everything.

Some amazing presentation, for sure, but it doesn't feel like a ten yet.

Caoz

So I bought a 50 dollars card to buy in on the PSN, using some credit I got there. Guess what happened.

jO0DL0C.jpg

Only freaking game at this price.... Thanks Rockstar ! You sure made a loyal customer out of me today.

Everything else is pretty cool so far but he we are, over a decade later and on foot traversal still feels clunky and melee combat is stuck in GTA3. Yeah, I know, it's about cars and guns, but it's still a bummer Rockstar can't be pissed to do something with character movement and hand to hand combat. Maybe you unlock some stuff down the road...

I wouldn't say it's common for GTA fans to complain about curse words.

No but I've heard "the cursing is way overdone" in a number of places now, citing that it's way worse than any previous GTA. Not that it's got a lot of bad language, but that it's gratuitous. Basically a knock on the writing, not the cursing per se.

sdornan

A question for anyone with the 360 or disc PS3 version of GTA V (and please excuse the horrible video quality of my iphone video, filming the psn version):

Do you get this kind of pop in of cars in your game? Obviously the pop in is quite far away here, but it is difficult (only two hands) to catch on video the dynamic pop in that happens very frequently when I drive fast, especially of street lights, road signs and big cars.

Woah, that's pretty bad. I definitely haven't seen that yet. I did see some pop-in during the intro and have seen some road sign pop-in.

InertiaXr

Is there any way to use L1/R1 for driving on PS3? I switched the control scheme to 'alternate' and it changes the shooting from the 2's to 1's, but driving is still on L2/R2....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom