• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game so far...man. Missions in general have been very diverse and all feel important so far, and Michael is great. Loving the characters and setup of the story so far.

Hoodbury

My PS3 GTAV bundle finally arrived from Amazon!

Nothing like that new console smell...

I was thinking of getting that bundle but at this stage I wouldn't need a 500 gb PS3. Too bad they didn't have the 12 gig version bundle for cheaper or whatever size you'd need for this game.

Got to play the intro and a brief moment with Franklin before i had to go to work...hell, I'll probably replay those sections when I get home.

Very tenative initial impressions:
  • Cars handle wonderfully
  • Graphics not quite as sleek as I expected, but still a huge upgrade from GTAIV
  • Trevor is the best

rallaren

I have no doubt that the trailers and demos were running on next gen hardware or a PC. The game simply doesn't look as good.

Not saying it looks bad, but it does't run nearly as well as the trailers and other videos.

The aliasing and flicker are pretty bad in motion.
I imagined it looking much better on the blurry streams pre launch but after seeing 1080p youtube videos it's so-so but for this kind of game on almost a decade old hardware - damn.

Just contact the shipping company that's handling my copy and it won't get here until tomorrow. Kind of a piss off, but hey I've waited this long, I can wait another day.

Picked the game up this morning but had to go to work all day. Can't play it until 9pm tonight when my daughter goes to bed. Will probably play till 3am tomorrow and be tired and cranky all day, but it'll be worth it.

Got an SSD in my PS3, so that's going to be a dream.

you sir and doing it right, wish i had a SSD at the moment, even a small 32GB or something

StuBurns

Banned
I have no doubt that the trailers and demos were running on next gen hardware or a PC. The game simply doesn't look as good.

Not saying it looks bad, but it does't run nearly as well as the trailers and other videos.

The aliasing and flicker are pretty bad in motion.
Considering they say 'PS3 footage' on them, Rockstar would have willingly opened themselves up to endless law suits, so no, there's no way that's the case.

Andrax

Banned
It's.. so... good...

I hate the end of mission ratings though, really irritates me.

edit: also how come my game doesn't look at crisp as the "ps3 footage" shown and it has no anti alliasing? lol

inky

Considering they say 'PS3 footage' on them, Rockstar would have willingly opened themselves up to endless law suits, so no, there's no way that's the case.

Who would even sue them for that? Meh.

In any case, my PS3 version is one of a great looking game trapped in old ass hardware. This game yearns for a version that does it justice.

I'm enjoying it a lot but I have to go get lunch and run some errands. I'll probably won't sleep tonight tho =D

Chris R

Still "Shipping Now" on Amazon and Redbox isn't showing any copies to rent in my area :( I guess I'll just play Dota2 tonight or something and pretend GTAV doesn't come out until NEXT week.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I just found
the Grove Street cul de sac
. [Minor fanservice location spoiler.]

I think so? I'm really unclear on how it works. I think only one car at a time can be insured, though.

You can't buy car insurance in single player. It's a feature exclusive to Grand Theft Auto Online. If you want to save a stolen vehicle, or a vehicle purchased from a website, you need to store it in a purchased garage.

It's the implementation of repetitious and so far middling dialog that offends my sensibilities, not the vocabulary.

I guarantee I'd be just as annoyed after the 14th time my character said, "hassenpfeffer, hassenpfeffer, gee that's swell" in 60 seconds.

No one is upset that angry meth-heads aren't reciting the works of Khalil Gibran during gunfights.

Has anyone else had it where you change the style of one of the 3, switch to someone else only to find the one you changed as reverted back to their original look?

hlhbk

Can I install the play disc to a 8 GB USB stick? Has it been confirmed if it actually enhances performance on USB stick?

RLnglMP.jpg

Grove Street selfie

The Freaks and Strangers missions have been the best part about this game so far. I have done maybe eight main missions so far. Loving every second.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You can't buy car insurance in single player. It's a feature exclusive to Grand Theft Auto Online. If you want to save a stolen vehicle, or a vehicle purchased from a website, you need to store it in a purchased garage.
And then if I take that car out and leave it somewhere or get it destroyed, it doesn't respawn somewhere later? I can't magically reaccess it?

Seriously? That sucks. I see no point in ever customizing my vehicles then. Ah well.

Very glad I didn't take today off. I usually get games from Amazon at 11am or so, but as far as i know, it's 3:30 PM and GTA hasn't come in yet. I would have been really anxious if I were sitting at home wasting the day waiting for GTAV... instead of sitting at work, doing work, waiting for GTAV.

Pachimari

I know that this is probably nitpicky as hell, but the thing bugging me most about GTA V is that your ONLY option is to be as ignorant and as criminal as HELL. I'm walking around as Franklin, and the three things that are really messing with my enjoyment are:

1. Why is my ONLY option (other than ignoring people) to fight when I'm walking past NPCs? There have been a few times when I'm walking and people say, "What's up, Franklin!". I hit every button looking for something other than RUN and FIGHT. What if i just want to give somebody the fist bump, or just say hey! Seriously. Can't there be a button - especially when somebody starts fighting you for no reason - that lets you throw up your hands like, "Be cool, man. it's all good. My bad" or something. The minute you bump into somebody it's either they're scared of you, or everybody's ready to fight. I really don't like that. I wish they'd give a few 'props' points or something when you go out of your way to be cool. Maybe respect points or something. If the fight is unavoidable, bring it, but Rockstar goes out of it's way to make the world so 'realistic', only to have everyone be so damned crazy. It just bugs me.

I totally agree with this. It takes you out of it when the civillians are so hostile. It's like, there's really no interactions with the NPC's...still.

Though I enjoy the game A LOT.

SJRB

Gold Member
Seriously? That sucks. I see no point in ever customizing my vehicles then. Ah well.

If you customize a vehicle, you own it. You can store owned cars in garages, and if said vehicle is destroyed it respawns at the garage. If you abandon it somewhere it will get impounded and it will cost you 250 bucks to get it back.

I totally agree with this. It takes you out of it when the civillians are so hostile. It's like, there's really no interactions with the NPC's...still.

Though I enjoy the game A LOT.

Press right on the d-pad to interact with NPCs. You can greet them, react to them greeting you, etc. So there is an alternative to punching them in the face.

And then if I take that car out and leave it somewhere or get it destroyed, it doesn't respawn somewhere later? I can't magically reaccess it?

If you abandon the vehicle it will eventually end up at the impound lot (assuming you've "saved" it first in your garage).

ttocs

Very glad I didn't take today off. I usually get games from Amazon at 11am or so, but as far as i know, it's 3:30 PM and GTA hasn't come in yet. I would have been really anxious if I were sitting at home wasting the day waiting for GTAV... instead of sitting at work, doing work, waiting for GTAV.

Whenever I take the day off for a game, I always use gamestop because UPS has screwed me before with their delivery times. I didn't take off today but I just got confirmation that my GTAV and the strategy guide are waiting on my front porch for me. So, perfect timing this time UPS.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really loving this the more I play it. I'm especially loving the vehicle handling, for some reason it reminds me a lot of Driver. I love using the hood cam and bombing around the streets. The on foot controls are slightly heavy but still responsive and it feels like a big step up from IV. I'd maybe like the characters to be a bit faster when holding down the running button but so far it's not too shabby at all. The writing isn't sophisticated in the slightest but I'd be lying if I said it hadn't made me laugh out loud a good few times so far.

kazebyaka

Banned
I know that this is probably nitpicky as hell, but the thing bugging me most about GTA V is that your ONLY option is to be as ignorant and as criminal as HELL. I'm walking around as Franklin, and the three things that are really messing with my enjoyment are:

1. Why is my ONLY option (other than ignoring people) to fight when I'm walking past NPCs?

You can press RIGHT on d-pad to say something to people. Or you can point a gun at somebody and they'll be scared of you. That's more than enough interaction with random people, more than in most of video games anyway.

If you customize a vehicle, you own it. You can store owned cars in garages, and if said vehicle is destroyed it respawns at the garage. If you abandon it somewhere it will get impounded and it will cost you 250 bucks to get it back.

Ah, that's good to hear. 1.45 hours to go. I feel like I'm staring at the clock on the last day of school before summer.

I'm 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom