• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If you abandon the vehicle it will eventually end up at the impound lot (assuming you've "saved" it first in your garage).
Okay, cool. How do I save it in my garage? Just drive it in and then leave it in there for a second? And are you talking about my home garages, or the repair/upgrade garages? Just want to double check, hah.

Pachimari

If you customize a vehicle, you own it. You can store owned cars in garages, and if said vehicle is destroyed it respawns at the garage. If you abandon it somewhere it will get impounded and it will cost you 250 bucks to get it back.

Press right on the d-pad to interact with NPCs. You can greet them, react to them greeting you, etc. So there is an alternative to punching them in the face.

I know that but everytime I use that dpad, people get pissed at me haha - they always end up wanting to fight, unless I talk to Franklin's aunt.

I totally agree with this. It takes you out of it when the civillians are so hostile. It's like, there's really no interactions with the NPC's...still.

Somebody said something to Franklin and when I pressed the right D-pad button he said "What it do?"

Not sure if he was actually responding to that character or if it was just a random thing

Needless to say its going to be hard to call my GOTY. Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us are amazing games but GTA V might be king.

nQ0pZHV.gif

Is something wrong with my phat PS3 ? I almost never reach 30fps outdoors and sometimes go below 20 but I've read people mentionning smooth framerates so I'm wondering if I should go to my friend's place to compare and see if something's wrong with my console.

SpeedNut

Playing fetch on the Chop game on iFruit... throw the ball off the screen and Chop brings back a bong and drops it in front of me like a proud child.

Fantastic.

Just been playing for pretty much 9 hours straight, a short food and toilet break aside.

I've done a bit of messing around, but the story is so good at pushing me forward I feel like I've taken a good chunk out of it and most been doing the missions.

Septimius

I think the handling's actually too light. I liked the heaviness in GTAIV, but then again, I'm a heavy sim-racer, so I guess I have to concede this one if everyone else is happy. I have a good grip on correcting oversteer, but in this game I just start oscillating wildly as I lose all speed, because the game so quickly corrects.

SJRB

Gold Member
I know that but everytime I use that dpad, people get pissed at me haha - they always end up wanting to fight, unless I talk to Franklin's aunt.

I don't understand. I've been playing as Michael all day and I use it all the time to greet random people. I've never had a single agressive response.

Are you walking around in Ballas territory or other rough neighbourhoods perhaps?

Okay, cool. How do I save it in my garage? Just drive it in and then leave it in there for a second? And are you talking about my home garages, or the repair/upgrade garages? Just want to double check, hah.

Yeah, just park the car in a purchased garage for a second. You can't park stolen/purchased cars at your home/safehouse garage.

Is something wrong with my phat PS3 ? I almost never reach 30fps outdoors and sometimes go below 20 but I've read people mentionning smooth framerates so I'm wondering if I should go to my friend's place to compare and see if something's wrong with my console.

people have accepted this as acceptable sacrifice on current gen it seems. lowered expectations . gif

Timu

Took some pics with my Roxio to show off some scale:

dac99fd4_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-09-1714-54-55-622.png

Apparently you can go in 1st person when you don't touch anything on the controller for some time:

49f1dc05_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-09-1714-49-30-464.png

MYE

Jesus they really outdid themselves. First time in a GTA game I don't get the feeling that sections of the map were randomly generated.

I'm in some low income, shithole area and damn - It feels real!
So much detail...

Ah, that's good to hear. 1.45 hours to go. I feel like I'm staring at the clock on the last day of school before summer.

I'm 37.

42.5 here, and excited like today is Christmas Morning and I am 8yrs. old

Tick tock, tick tock. Come on 5 o'clock!

(and I took tomorrow off too for sleeping in / playing after what I am sure will be a late night session today)

Derrick01

Banned
So the people bad talking tennis, what's wrong with it? I just played a game on a college campus on normal difficulty and I beat the hell out of my opponent. If anything it was too easy.

Dug said:
Does this game have a crouch button?

Not really a full crouch but pressing the left stick will make your guy slouch a bit which is the game's version of crouching/stealth mode.

Enco

I have only played a few hours on 360 but this easily trumps Red Dead Redemption as my favorite Rockstar game. Also to those complaining about image quality I have no idea what game you are playing. The game is running on ancient hardware and considering how old the hardware is this game is a revelation in terms of IQ.

I also have no doubt based on the commericals there is at least a next gen version and/or PC version coming as it looked and ran even better.

Needless to say its going to be hard to call my GOTY. Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us are amazing games but GTA V might be king.
For me nothing will beat TLOU. Hardly played GTA V but TLOU was too great to beat. Infinite might be tested though. Only time will tell.

Dukey

Banned
In GTA4 I hated driving because the camera was too low, so anytime I crested a hill I'd see nothing but my car instead of what was ahead, forcing me to constantly ride the right analog stick to compensate. Same problem in GTA5, except this time there's a menu option. So if that bothered you as much as it did me, go into options and choose the 'high' setting for vehicle camera. You can still adjust the camera using the back button, but now all the choices will have a higher viewpoint. I love it.

For me nothing will beat TLOU. Hardly played GTA V but TLOU was too great to beat. Infinite might be tested though. Only time will tell.

For me, any game with replay value will best TLOU. It was a fine game and all, but I never want to play it again.

Raven77

Here are my impressions of the GRAPHICS and ATMOSPHERE so far, not gameplay:

- The draw distance on vehicles is incredible. This is THE FIRST GAME EVER where I actually FEEL like I am going down a real highway. 30-40 cars on screen, easily, all going very fast, very crowded.

- The lighting is mind blowing. Shadows are crisp (mostly). Reflections are top notch.
Examples:

* Soda Machines - the the lights and colors will reflect off of the floor.
* Walls - The color of the wall will bounce similarly colored light off of other surfaces in the same way that "ray tracing" would. I'm sure they are faking this effect but it is awesome.
* Fog is used in conjunction to the overall sunlight to increase depth and give real distance to the world.
* Floors actually reflect almost ALL objects resting atop them.
* Rain puddles reflect the world around them.

- The clothing and cloth physics.
balloon-outdoor-advertising.jpg

I have never seen one of these in a game before (might have been done before though) and it is amazing. Its very cool and you can actually jump into this thing and it will move realistically. Also, when your character is walking, the fabric of their clothing actually shifts and moves.

- The water, my lord, the water. Its amazing that so many types of water are represented and look so good. The water in the pool looks and is behaving noticeably different from the ocean water and lake water. They also, all look extremely good. Large waves, reflections, pure bliss.

- Euphoria character physics are fantastic. I got on top of the car with the tarp on it next to Franklins house and tried to jump on the roof, Franklins head nailed the gutter and his legs shot forward sending me slamming down onto the hood for minor damage. I also tried jumping down the stairs once and basically "Spiderman Splatted" against the wall and proceeded to fall hilariously down the stairs.

These are my thoughts and reactions so far. Amazing game.

ThisOne

So the people bad talking tennis, what's wrong with it? I just played a game on a college campus on normal difficulty and I beat the hell out of my opponent. If anything it was too easy.

Feels a little boring to me. I played one set and don't really see myself returning to it.

lem0n

Guys, I've been thinking. I've been trying to think of a better game. I can't. This is my favorite game of all time. I'm about 7 hours in and I can already tell.

Back to the game

kazebyaka

Banned
In GTA4 I hated driving because the camera was too low, so anytime I crested a hill I'd see nothing but my car instead of what was ahead, forcing me to constantly ride the right analog stick to compensate. Same problem in GTA5, except this time there's a menu option. So if that bothered you as much as it did me, go into options and choose the 'high' setting for vehicle camera. You can still adjust the camera using the back button, but now all the choices will have a higher viewpoint. I love it.
Same here, I'm really glad they addressed this problem. High camera is the best camera.

Car handling is definitely not an improvement over IV, though I appreciate that some cars (like the one meant to be a C63 AMG Black Series) develop noticeable downforce at higher speeds. If you think the cars handle better in this game, you must not know cars. That's ok though, as this is no driving sim.

Motorcycle handling seems a major step back as well.

But it's mostly because I'm trying to drive these things the way I did in GTA IV rather than adapting to the new feel. The bikes especially require lots o' stick finessin'... a "steering sensitivity" slider in the options would be delicious, but for now, I'll shelf my complaints and fix it the old fashioned way: practice.

Goddamn these cops are serious business! I accidentally brushed one during a taxi mission and next thing I know I'm racing down an alley with 4 cop cars on my tail!

Very glad I didn't take today off. I usually get games from Amazon at 11am or so, but as far as i know, it's 3:30 PM and GTA hasn't come in yet. I would have been really anxious if I were sitting at home wasting the day waiting for GTAV... instead of sitting at work, doing work, waiting for GTAV.

same here. ups usually comes at 10:30. here it is almost 4 and nothing....smh

Megasoum

Banned
Why do you need to hold down on d-pad to show the lap counter during races? That's stupid. I need my left thumb for driving... And it's not like we're short on room for the UI on the right side.

Dreaver

Can someone answer one of my questions?
- How does saving cars work exactly? Let's say I have a tuned car, can I save it 'forever'?
- What are exactly the differences between the tennis smashes (A, B, X and Y)?

How do you take pics with your phone?.

Snapmatic app when you access the character's phone. Pictures are kinda iffy right now because the Social Club servers seem to be having a bad time trying to stay stable. But basically when you snap the picture it'll upload to the social club site automatically

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just did a triathalon and afterwards I hear a giant explosion and see a blimp crashed and lit multiple cars and people on fire. LOL.

Have people been looking at lifeinvader? Really hilarious reading everyone's pages, constantly updates after missions too.

Derrick01

Banned
Can't crouch? :(

Like I said it's not really a crouch it's more like the guy leaning a bit but it's how you enter "stealth" mode. He moves quieter when you press the stick.

If it's not working right now then you probably have to do the main story mission that introduces it to you. I'm not sure if they lock it at first or not.

nib95

Banned
Can someone answer one of my questions?
- How does saving cars work exactly? Let's say I have a tuned car, can I save it 'forever'?
- What are exactly the differences between the tennis smashes (A, B, X and Y)?

I need to know this too. I'm not spending thousands on a car only to have it die or be left behind on a mission and for me to never see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom