• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Early, early mission spoiler] The car Franklin steals
from Michael's home, the one that belongs to his son, is the same car Tony Sopranos son AJ had.

Moar Sopranos references!

Michael is pretty much a satire of TS.

What I recently did was playing tennis. Pretty impressive how good it is for a minigame. Better than some full game.

kazebyaka

Banned
How are the story missions? Are they more interesting than the "drive here, shoot that, watch 10 minute cutscene with banter that goes nowhere" fest of vanilla GTA IV?
Let's say it's the most varied open world game I have ever played. And yes, it's even more varied than San Andreas. 69 missions, each is different from other.

kazebyaka

Banned
I want to shave Trevor's head. Doesn't matter which barber Igo to I always get the same choices. He's sporting the greatest beard ever but I need his hair gone.

After spending 35 hours with the game I gave up trying to find something more than three haircuts and a beard.

Muffdraul

Very glad I didn't take today off. I usually get games from Amazon at 11am or so, but as far as i know, it's 3:30 PM and GTA hasn't come in yet. I would have been really anxious if I were sitting at home wasting the day waiting for GTAV... instead of sitting at work, doing work, waiting for GTAV.

Thank you, you just reminded me how I got into the habit of having my mega hyped day 1 pre-orders delivered to me here at work instead of taking the day off and getting them at home. It's because sometimes they don't get delivered until late afternoon/early evening. Seriously, it's been so long that I couldn't remember what made me do it this way.

A little less than 4 hours to go, sigh...

SpaceHorror

This game is okay. Not the game of the year material, just seems like an average GTA game. Story is on the stale side, nothing to hold onto the edge of your seat for. Shooting plays out just like any other Rockstar Games. Driving is still arcady but better.

When I switch to other characters, they're not really doing much unlike what I've seen in the teaser. I either catch them driving aimlessly or walking aimlessly. Boring.

Logged in 6 hours, will report back.

The majority of my switches have been the same, but I've witnessed a few events when switching back to Franklin. One he was getting thrown out of a strip club, the other he was intervening in a scrap between Lamar and what looked like drug dealers or rival gang members. Nothing to do with a mission, just a random incident. Pretty cool.

noomi

This is very trivial..... but one thing I REALLY miss from GTA4 is being able to go into first person view when riding in the back of a taxi. Also asking the driver to change the radio stations as well :( Something about seeing the city from that view is very pleasing to me.

anddo0

I'm having fun with them, but they don't feel any better than any past GTA game to me. But it's been yeaaaaars since I last played GTA.

I shot at the back of it and rammed it with a car, and it opened up.

Shoot/kick the back door until it opens

I shot and rammed the hell out of it and nothing.
It's called the Gruppe 6 right?

edit: almost 50 rounds from a shotgun and nothing,. Two shots from a handgun and it opens.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This is very trivial..... but one thing I REALLY miss from GTA4 is being able to go into first person view when riding in the back of a taxi. Also asking the driver to change the radio stations as well :( Something about seeing the city from that view is very pleasing to me.

Think there's a camera angle that goes to "Hood" camera, that you can look around. Not the same as in car, but has the same use, perhaps even better "viewing" without the cab getting in the way.

"The package was missed at the UPS facility, UPS will deliver on the next business day." - UPS

wow....and I won't get a chance to play tomorrow smh

No Love

Banned
So how shitty does this REALLY look and perform? I'm a spoiled PC gamer who knows what delicious crispy graphics are, but is it REALLY as bad as other PC gamers are trying to make it out to be?

I mean, as long as it looks/performs better than GTA IV does, I think I can deal with it. I'm going to pick up my PS3 copy in a bit to play tonight but I'm trying to gauge what I'm really in for based on what others have experienced thus far.

And just for a baseline, I think Last of Us and Killzone 2 look absolutely fantastic.

jrcbandit

Once you mod a car it's always available at an impound lot for a fee.
Not necessarily, a car I modded was reliably showing up at my safe house or impound lot, but now it has disappeared. I am going to try the impound lot again, but I am not very hopeful. The impound lot wasn't even showing up on Michael's map while it still was showing for Franklin and vehicles were there for Franklin.

max_505

Not sure if this is a bug/glitch or something intended: In the mission "
The Long Stretch
", you'll be forced to go to an Ammu-Nation store and buy a shotgun w/ a flashlight installed, but if you look closely at the other available weapons, there's an assault rifle with most of the upgrades already unlocked for free and the only thing you have to do is install those on the weapon.

Because of that, I quickly unlocked "fully customize a weapon" trophy.

Did anyone also experience this?

So how shitty does this REALLY look and perform? I'm a spoiled PC gamer who knows what delicious crispy graphics are, but is it REALLY as bad as other PC gamers are trying to make it out to be?

I mean, as long as it looks/performs better than GTA IV does, I think I can deal with it. I'm going to pick up my PS3 copy in a bit to play tonight but I'm trying to gauge what I'm really in for based on what others have experienced thus far.

And just for a baseline, I think Last of Us and Killzone 2 look absolutely fantastic.

Well, when your not driving really fast it is not bad. Night time is spectacular, the water is spectacular.

Everything is really well done, but the aliasing is horrible. Deep in the background you can barely tell what stuff is due to all the moving ladders jaggies and shimmering, etc. It is distracting. But when walking around or whatever, it is fine. Skyline and such looks amazing, the closer up details of the buildings look amazing, cars look amazing, etc. I watched a storm build the other night, the clouds slowly crossing the path of the moon and building up. Was awesome.

It has its ups and downs.

looks great, but runs bad. people are enjoying the game so they aren't commenting that it runs so poorly. low expectations I guess.

Ensirius

The majority of my switches have been the same, but I've witnessed a few events when switching back to Franklin. One he was getting thrown out of a strip club, the other he was intervening in a scrap between Lamar and what looked like drug dealers or rival gang members. Nothing to do with a mission, just a random incident. Pretty cool.
I've had two switches to Trevor where I was laughing my ass off. The most I've laughed playing a game by far. I'll spoiler it.

First time trevor is near a garbage bin when a random dude drops what seems like a finished taco. He picks it up from the bin then throws it at the dude in disgust when he notices it's has already been eaten. His face makes the scene...

Another instance his riding on the freeway with a scooter chasing another driver riding a scooter yelling "we're scooter buddieees" awesome shit.

Also I forgot another time he's laying on the street with a beer in his hand. He breaks the bottle and when you take control of him he's still drunk.

calder

People who played through GTA4 on PS3 and are now playing GTA5 sure get a nice graphical boost, even ignoring the better lighting/textures/loading/detail. Having the game actually be 720p is a huge improvement, makes all the other visual upgrades over 4 even better.

Several hours in, loving it. Franklin and Lamar are godtier, and Michael is a more interesting character than I would have thought. So far it's Franklin's game though.

QaaQer

YZoVFuK.jpg

OG Loc

Regarding switches:

I once switched to Michael and
he was coming out of a motel and said "yeah I think my dick is going to fall off." Lmao

Afrodium

Banned
I just played this game for six hours and had to pull myself away for the sake of my eyes. My god, this game is incredible. I never owned any of the PS2 GTAs, only played them at friends' houses. I loved GTA IV, and already this game kicks the shit out of it.

The world is so lovingly crafted and dynamic. The lighting is beautiful, the random encounters are awesome, I can just drive around Los Santos forever. I think my favorite detail is how appropriate the NPCs are. Hipsters hang out in front of the Urban Outfitters, backpackers stand atop Mount Chilliad and take photos with their phones, rednecks drink beer behind liquor stores on the outskirts of town. It just makes the world feel so much more lived in and real.

And the world is just filled with fun things to do. I'm not talking about mini-games either, but things like barreling down a mountain trail on a dirtbike or hunting.

I'm going to be playing this game for a long time.

RS4-

Spoiler about the garage

4 vehicles, I have 3 super cars and a stupid bicycle. Was hoping you could put more cars :(

I'll upload pics later.

Hmm, I took out one car from the garage, then went back inside to take out the other. My first car is gone from both the garage and outside. Going to see if they leave it at the impound. If they're gone until you buy them again then...well, gg money

kazebyaka

Banned
Several hours in, loving it. Franklin and Lamar are godtier, and Michael is a more interesting character than I would have thought. So far it's Franklin's game though.
If you see how many missions you finish with each character,
I say it's a Michael's game after all.

jrcbandit

I'm also all about PC level of graphics. GTA looks crappy at first because of the low resolution and aliasing, but I quickly got over that after 30 minutes or so due to the art style and detailed world. TLOU is definitely a lot better graphics wise but the levels are a much smaller scope than the depth of GTA V.

protonion

Unhappy about (strip club related)

not getting a fuck scene/mini game with a stripper. I spend 15 minutes finding the one to accept me at her home... We've seen every possible death in videogames but sex which everybody does is a no no. The only sex scene I've seen so far had a dressed woman. Come on now!

In any case the game is phenomenal. I love that there is no filler like packages or other stupid collectibles. Everything has substance.

It really is mindblowing how much stuff there is in the game. How did they put all of it together?

I would buy the game even if I hated it just for their effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom