• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any details on the multiplayer? Only thing that is swaying me away from buying it. Really hope cops and crooks is back.

you seem to just like playing the same thing over and over..so why not just re-buy gta 4? if a old feature is your sticking point? seems weird that as great as gta 5 is, you want something in the game that was in the last game 5 years ago??smh

i really dislike the ingame cutscenes, imho they all behave like puppets on strings, looks so unnatural. I'm alway glad when they are over, i feel uncomfortable watching them, they weird me out.

TRUE STORY

So I was kind of stalking this blonde chick in the "Beverly Hills" area, and she finally caught on to me, she started running across the street against a red light, and got hit by a car. I waited around and sure enough the paramedics came.

They had a conversation about how it was too late, and one of them was really upset about it. his partner kept saying don't worry man there's always a next time.

I was blown away.

HoodWinked

Played the PS3 version for 5 hours.

Good:
- Driving feels awesome.
- Map is really big. Exploring is fun.
- Music is awesome.
- I like the missions and story so far.

Bad:
- Framerate sucks. I turned on motionflow on my TV, that makes it sooo much smoother. The tiny bit of extra input
lag doesn't really matter.
- Gunplay is still a bit clunky.
- I still struggle with the controls, not intuitive at all. I somehow keep pressing the wrong buttons. Maybe that's just me though.

yah the controls are a bit unintuitive. the dpad controls specifically cause they just threw everything there that didnt have its own designated button.

change the radio, hold for radio selection wheel, retract the car roof, check your characters stats, change characters, check your phone. and the reload and jump buttons are different from most games. so theres a learning curve to break muscle memory, i think there isnt much that could have been done control wise due to how much functionality the game needs.

What are the people represented by little blue dots on the minimap? Random encounters? Do you do anything with them other than talk to them for a minute?

Protip: don't surf the web on your phone at night in the countryside.
Pretty sure I was just mauled by a mountain lion lol. Couldn't tell from the angle it gave me.

AkuMifune

Banned
Not having any issues with the PSN version on my super slim. Watched some streams to be sure.

Not sure why it seems so inconsistent to some.

Afro

Best thing I've seen so far is the fact that you can't simply drive your busted up car into your garage to magically make it brand new again, even after reloading the save. You need to actually drive to the shop and pay for the repairs. This gives an incentive to drive well. Just amazing.

one85x

sigh

Got home with GTA V for my Slim PS3.

Pop the game in and it spins a few times, then nothing. About ten/fifteen seconds later the drive makes a quick clunking sound and then stops...nothing else. The game never shows up in the game menu or starts up.

I can start the PS fine, get into the store, still load and play my downloaded titles. I tried a couple of different games and the same thing happened (they never showed up in game menu / never started).

I can stick a DVD in there and it plays it just fine...so the drive isn't dead.

I'm in the middle of an 8 hour full format from the system menu hoping that this fixes it. Anyone ever encounter something like this and have any other solution?

Thanks.
This has happened to me with a couple of games. Not sure what causes it, but I can usually get the system to recognize the game by holding the front of the PS3 up after putting the disc in.

Is my Trevor a hipster?

ANVNu7G.jpg

ekim

Game is running TERRIBLY on my Xbox. Pop Ins everywhere, and the game just restarted on me because of an issue with the storage device I saved it on, the storage device I saved it on is my official 360 harddrive. :|

If I have to buy a new HardDrive to play this game, ugh.

Have you installed both discs to the HDD? If yes: don't do it. :)

So um, the damage modeling seems to be scaled back from GTA IV. It takes a lot more to beat up cars now.

They actually deform even more than they did in Gta IV if you hurt them enough. I like it better now since it's easier to keep customized cars looking spiffy, rather than having them look like Godzilla took a chomp out of it because I tapped a light-pole.

MCN

Banned
So um, the damage modeling seems to be scaled back from GTA IV. It takes a lot more to beat up cars now.

However, cars can now lose their wings, which I don't think they could do in GTA4. Also, wheels can become jammed by buckled arches.

Dreaver

It's so much fun to be in a car chase with Franklin.
Driving against the traffic and using the slow motion ability to evade traffic.

ViviOggi

So I was crossing some highway up North with half health and my pistol out, of course a car ran into me and while Franklin's body was launched into the air a last shot went off. Are you kidding me with this amount of detail?

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before, only using my mobile and I'm abroad but I managed to watch some twitch tv footage the other day.
It looks great, but how does it run while driving around quite fast? Typical choppy gta stuff? Or somehow magic and smooth like it was also a racing game...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
As well as wanting a more 'bolder' aiming reticule I'd love to have an option to keep the reticule on screen all the time. Run and gunning is actually pretty fun but I hate the way I have to press the fire button to make it appear on screen and how it disappears quickly as well. I guess it's probably a design choice but I'd love the option anyway. Those are really my only nitpicks with the game so far. Ok the combat isn't on par with Max Payne 3 but it's still a big leap as to be very enjoyable now.

HoodWinked

sigh

Got home with GTA V for my Slim PS3.

Pop the game in and it spins a few times, then nothing. About ten/fifteen seconds later the drive makes a quick clunking sound and then stops...nothing else. The game never shows up in the game menu or starts up.

I can start the PS fine, get into the store, still load and play my downloaded titles. I tried a couple of different games and the same thing happened (they never showed up in game menu / never started).

I can stick a DVD in there and it plays it just fine...so the drive isn't dead.

I'm in the middle of an 8 hour full format from the system menu hoping that this fixes it. Anyone ever encounter something like this and have any other solution?

Thanks.

the bluray laser on your ps3 is malfunctioning. the dvd and bluray uses a different frequency diode its why the dvds still work.

the format will likely do nothing you may try swabbing the lens with a qtip+alcohol at your own risk, or call sony for a repair.

NIN90

Sorry if this has been asked before, only using my mobile and I'm abroad but I managed to watch some twitch tv footage the other day.
It looks great, but how does it run while driving around quite fast? Typical choppy gta stuff? Or somehow magic and smooth like it was also a racing game...
Definitely gets in the 25 FPS territory when driving a fast car.

So you walk through a door, push it open with your arm, and your arm remains braced against the door to hold it in place. That detail is amazing to me for some reason.

Best thing I've seen so far is the fact that you can't simply drive your busted up car into your garage to magically make it brand new again, even after reloading the save. You need to actually drive to the shop and pay for the repairs. This gives an incentive to drive well. Just amazing.

That's how it's been in all the Gta games......and it's incredibly tedious. Apparently, in this one if you save it in a purchased garage, it reappears fully repaired if you blow it up, so I just have to keep a rocket launcher handy :)

pa22word

Uh so what do you do with the armored cars once you jack them? Do you drop them off somewhere like GTAs of old or what? I'm in one currently with Michael after jacking it due to an in game prompt telling me to, and dunno what to do with it.

Also, how do I download apps onto my phone? I wanna train chop but can't remember the dog training link lol.

no angel

Omg you can really hide from the cops if you pull into an alley and turn off the lights. Is this the first open world game to not feature psychic police?
I was hiding from the fuzz behind a pillar in a car park, they were about 3 feet from me when they finally called off the search, sweaty palms!

Also I rammed a car so hard one of its wheels fell off. Fun times.

Omg you can really hide from the cops if you pull into an alley and turn off the lights. Is this the first open world game to not feature psychic police?
Just did this exact same thing during that Lamar/Stretch mission. Was pleasantly surprised that just being outside of police FOV won't eventually erase your wanted level. You gave to stull leave the last area they saw you.

I was in the movie lot area in an alley, lights off, with cops continually circling where we were. After a few minutes, a cruiser rolls slowly past the stairs I was next to and the chase starts again.

Made me think of the intro to Drive.

So is there a way to set the map to the old direct-overhead setting instead of the newly-adopted 3/4 overhead view? It's kind of annoying while I'm driving.

h00ters

Uh so what do you do with the armored cars once you jack them? Do you drop them off somewhere like GTAs of old or what? I'm in one currently with Michael after jacking it due to an in game prompt telling me to, and dunno what to do with it.

Also, how do I download apps onto my phone? I wanna train chop but can't remember the dog training link lol.
You have to smash the back doors off it. Just get out and shoot the doors until they come off.

RS4-

Hey, there's that colored tire smoke Lazlow mentioned in an interview recently. So is that an actual thing, IRL?

Yeah they've had them in real life for a while now, last time I checked, they were only on some small sized tires, like 15"s; I don't remember if they're actually street legal though.

Looks great. Is that an ingame feature or do you use capture software for that?

Capture software, doesn't really take good shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom