• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
jkUGxJAkRWhQF.bmp

jVI8kyBspEBGA.jpg

This is how my 360 is running GTA V. :/ So... is this a universal problem? Someone just tweeted me this...

@SpeedyBlueDude I just bought my copy at GameStop and the cashier was giving the people a number to call incase that happened on Xbox.

EDIT: Actually, don't know if images are okay to post here? No real spoilers in these images.

cdkee

Banned
So get this. I leave work early even though my copy hasn't arrived. As soon as I turn on my street I get an email on my phone saying it's been delivered! UPS guy just left it on the porch.

eival

great, found a bug in the very opening tutorial, got stuck on the last row of pillars as Trevor when the cops pull up, couldnt do anything but restart the friggen opening tutorial, which then allowed me to find out the cutscenes are unskippable, reminding me of all the fun that was Max Payne 3.

and whats up with the driving, the fact they have the "bullet time" slow down effect is the only excuse to have vanilla handling ridiculously tight, and it doesn't matter how fast you're going, you have the same exact turn speed, whether you flick the stick left or right, or push up on the stick and just slightly move it along the edge of the circle to try and just gradually turn the wheel...nope, and it also makes your car almost front flip on its roof with any small jump since you're pushing up.

and its not like the "driving skill" attribute effects it, cause it was the same while driving as Trevor in that part of the tutorial and once again as Franklin only magnified cause they're faster sports cars. and a bunch of scripted intersection would-be collisions to make you use the bullet time gimmick, yet if you just slow down they all stop before hitting you.

the "slidey cars" cheat footage ive seen on youtube seems to mimic GTA 4 physics, but we cant use it cause it disables all saving, along with achievements and thus in-game unlocks. so unless they patch it, or make that one cheat availible without disabling everything, the entire game will be like this.

first GTA game ever thats had this bad of an opening impression, or really any action/open world Rockstar game in general since the PS2 era, minus State of Emergency(which was just dumb) and Max Payne 3, except if there was driving sections, with bad handling, glad i rented this.

Zeliard

Omg you can really hide from the cops if you pull into an alley and turn off the lights. Is this the first open world game to not feature psychic police?

It is much more feasible now to get into a dark alley and generally away from trafficked areas to get away from the initial cop search, but their cones of vision don't seem to take that into account. You can be otherwise out of sight (behind a building, in some tunnel, etc) but if a cone of vision touches you, you'll be spotted. However the fact that there are cones of vision here means that you can always tell when you threaten to be spotted, so it works well.

ElfArmy177

Forgot I changed my ship address to my moms house last time I got my wife a gift... Been waiting for GTA all day from amazon, says delivered, figure its a glitch.

Get call from mom "there has been a package here for you since yesterday".... Wat?

jkUGxJAkRWhQF.bmp

jVI8kyBspEBGA.jpg

This is how my 360 is running GTA V. :/ So... is this a universal problem? Someone just tweeted me this...

EDIT: Actually, don't know if images are okay to post here? No real spoilers in these images.

This was happening in the first 30 mins of the game for me on ps3 but then after that i've never noticed it again and i'm almost done with the game

eival

jkUGxJAkRWhQF.bmp

jVI8kyBspEBGA.jpg

did he install both discs?

they said not to, because of texture loading issues

ascii42

jkUGxJAkRWhQF.bmp

jVI8kyBspEBGA.jpg

Now we know what it'd be like if they ported GTA V to the original PlayStation.

Actually, wait. Driver 2 looked better than that. So, 32X version, maybe?

driver_2_09_med.jpg

todahawk

Not at all actually. Which is disappointing. I mean it's the best the GTA games have ever had but it still doesn't hit the heights of MP3.

Agreed. It's much, much better than previous GTA's but not as good as MP3. Maybe R* felt it would've been too big a jump for most of the player base.

Still a big improvement, maybe full-on MP3 style shooting in GTA VI.

red731

I said here that I will finish Outlast while waiting for GTAV...

...so I freakin did. Now stretching with chillstep and hopefuly my dreams won't be as fucked up as what I've seen today.

So gratz to me, today at 0051 is the day I will receive that SE and finaly play the game...

nongtaspoiler
Fuck you red barrels and outlast, I love you.

sqwarlock

It's so weird using the DS3 when I used the 360 controller for all of GTA IV on consoles and PC. Taking some getting used to, but mostly when it comes to driving. The triggers don't feel sensitive enough, and neither is the steering. When I make small twitch movements on the left stick, they don't seem to translate well to the screen.

Without a point of comparison, however, I can't say if this is due to the controller or just the new driving mechanics.

NeoGiff

For those who have been wondering:

It IS possible to rob stores. I'm watching my housemate playing right now, and he just held up the attendant inside a gas station. An easy $404!

Hystzen

Anybody else have really low sound for the TV shows...rest of game volume is perfect but can't hear fuck all with TV even holding analogue stick up to increase volume does nothing

Not at all actually. Which is disappointing. I mean it's the best the GTA games have ever had but it still doesn't hit the heights of MP3.
I expected it to meet halfway between Red Dead and Max Payne 3, so I'll probably be OK. MP3 had a lot of trade-offs to produce that wonderful end result, and an open world title like GTA doesn't have that much breathing room (if any) to start with.

It is much more feasible now to get into a dark alley and generally away from trafficked areas to get away from the initial cop search, but their cones of vision don't seem to take that into account. You can be otherwise out of sight (behind a building, in some tunnel, etc) but if a cone of vision touches you, you'll be spotted. However the fact that there are cones of vision here means that you can always tell when you threaten to be spotted, so it works well.

I haven't had that x-ray vision provken with police. I was hiding in an alley with cops circling the block, almist constantly inside the vision cones, yet wasn't spotted until one cop had me in its line of sight.

bengraven

I had no interest in any of the characters (a typical reaction to a Rock* hero going back to Vice City) until I saw the facial hair. Now I want everyone with beards and it will be my GOTF until RDR2 comes out.

MercuryLS

Banned
I am so bummed out about the lousy PSN version. I specifically bought it to get the best version of the game, but it turned out to be clearly the worst. The arrogance of selling an inferior and unfixable version of the game as a premium "preloadable" digital version offends me. Where do I turn my defective product in? Oh, now I remember, that is not allowed.

The chance of people at Rockstar and Sony not spotting the pop in issues before release is zero point zero. Considering the huge legal ramifications of doing so, no apology or reward will be issued to those affected by this. Instead, we will get the pleasure of paying full price for the disc version and maybe full price for pc also, in addition to what we paid for the PSN version.

As a last resort, has anyone with the pop in issues on the PSN version tried to replace the ps3 hard drive with an ssd? I would prefer to spend 150 dollars on this rather than buying the disc version.

I'm not sure that a faster HDD would fix the pop in issue with the PSN version. This game was designed to be read from the HDD and Disc. It's the reason why they advise people to note full install it on 360.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok so it's 1am

Fuck sleep

Fuck work

I'm staying up for this GotG

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So this game is pretty damn godly. I was hyping this game to the moon and somehow it's still better than I expected. Here's a tip for people. Change to free aim straight away. The game uses the same gunplay as Max Payne 3 minus the bullet time. In other words it has the best tps gunplay around. You just won't be able to see that if you don't switch to free aim. It's really puzzling why Rockstar still insist on using the dated lock on system as the default when they've clearly nailed the shooting mechanics.

The driving is also fantastic and MUCH better than GTA IV. It's actually fun and easy to drive around but it still has an element of skill to it and the physics are still good. I took to the driving straight away. In fact I'd say GTA V is the new benchmark for driving in open world games. Franklin's special ability is super fun to use as well and it's a great thing to use when you fuck up a turn or you're about to crash in to something. Just use the special ability and adjust. It's also really useful for shooting in the middle of a chase.

I haven't played many missions so far as I've mostly been just messing around in the world, but missions have all been really good so far and I really like the few characters I've seen. Also best first mission in a GTA game by a mile. I've played a couple stranger missions as well and I was quite surprised. They feel like full fledged story missions. I'm being 100% serious. If these missions were ordinary mission markers and not the stranger mission marks I wouldn't see it as out of the ordinary. If this is the kind of stuff the stranger missions are going to offer then I'm a hell of a lot less worried about the seemingly low main mission count compared to the last couple games. Much better than Red Dead Redemption when it comes to strangers.

One aspect of the game that I'm not so happy about is the wanted system. Actually scratch that. The wanted system is fantastic. It's just one aspect of it that should have been tweaked a bit. I think every police officer having their own cone of vision you have to stay out of is great and the ability to either hide in plain sight or speed away is great. But my problem with it is the amount of time it takes to escape a wanted level. The amount of time you have to stay unseen for you to lose it. It feels like forever. It makes even simple one or 2 star wanted levels tedious to escape from. I feel you should have to stay out of sight for a good 10 seconds less than the game asks.

But with that said I have to say I'm super impressed with the police ai, which is a first for the series. They seem really smart with their searching. One time I got a wanted level and went in to an alleyway. I saw a ladder by one of the buildings and climbed it. I thought hey they'll never look for me on top of this building. Cops don't climb ladders! Boy was I in for a surprise. The cops didn't see me climb the ladder or anything so it wasn't a simple matter of them following me. I saw them search around the area I last was thoroughly before one cop eventually decided the last place to search was up the ladder. I was not expecting it and I got killed pretty soon after once I was forced to slowly make my way back down the ladder. Police seem pretty smart. Also damn they're aggressive! They seem like the toughest police I've encountered in the series even on the lower wanted levels. Cop chases are certainly tense and fun. I only find it annoying how long it takes to lose a wanted level because when I only have a 1 or 2 star level and don't really feel like doing a chase it feels tedious. When I actually want a chase it's cool. When I don't it's not.

The world is beautiful and detailed. It's super fun just to explore and mess around in general. It's also damn huge and I haven't explored hardly any of the map yet. I've barely even ventured outside the city. Oh yeah I almost forgot about the random events. So far they seem like pretty standard RDR stuff. I saved someone being held up at gunpoint by two guys. I returned a bike that someone tried to steal. Standard stuff really. Oh and the taxi missions are pretty crappy. I don't know why they even bothered bringing them back if they were going to be this....lame about it. There's not even a timer. Just go from destination to destination with no real interesting twist. Just something simply like a timer would have made this more exciting like the PS2 games.

By the way does anyone know how you make chop do.....anything. I can get him to attack people but that's it. Are there not any commands for him? Can't I pet him? I only just unlocked him so maybe this is stuff you can do later in the game, but right now no buttons do anything for chop other than making him come towards me or attack people.

Also does anyone know if this game has a super bunny hop cheat like San Andreas? I played around on a bicycle and it was pretty fun, but I really hope a bunny hop cheat is in there for some crazy shit.

So yeah, damn good game. I'm addicted. Oh I forgot one more thing! Music is good so far. Already heard more songs I like than I did in GTA IV.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I spent a few thousand on upgrades for a car and then tried to park it in the Vinewood Garage, but it wouldn't let me. #coolgreat

Fjordson

:lol I boot up the game and hear "One! Two! Three! Four! Whoo, I got a pelvic flow like a sumo wrestler!!" and it's Franklins' Aunt in the other room exercising in front of the TV.

I expected it to meet halfway between Red Dead and Max Payne 3
Essentially what it is. But turning off the auto-aim and increasing the sensitivity is basically essential I think. The default is too sluggish.

Madness

Lol, as Franklin I mouthed off some blonde chick in a rich area and she's like hold on I'm calling the cops and like all of a sudden I got a wanted level and had to evade the cops. That's some bullshit lol.

Did you guys know that at any time when you jump if you press "O" or "B" you ragdoll?

Like you can just jump while walking and press circle and the character goes into a ragdoll animation and ends up in a ball on the floor lol it's hilarious

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How do you turn off your headlights?

And is there anyway to quick select weapons without using the weapon wheel??

Dabanton

It's so weird using the DS3 when I used the 360 controller for all of GTA IV on consoles and PC. Taking some getting used to, but mostly when it comes to driving. The triggers don't feel sensitive enough, and neither is the steering. When I make small twitch movements on the left stick, they don't seem to translate well to the screen.

Without a point of comparison, however, I can't say if this is due to the controller or just the new driving mechanics.

I have the 360 version but popped round my friends house this evening and he has the PS3 version it's OK but I think the 360 controller feels tighter for this game.

The driving being looser means the DS3 stick placement also doesn't feel as nice for me.

The driving in the game is iiiiiinfinitely better than in IV.

Graphics are nice too. Frame dips are slightly annoying but not game breaking. Enjoying so far.

xbhaskarx

TRUE STORY

So I was kind of stalking this blonde chick in the "Beverly Hills" area, and she finally caught on to me, she started running across the street against a red light, and got hit by a car. I waited around and sure enough the paramedics came.

They had a conversation about how it was too late, and one of them was really upset about it. his partner kept saying don't worry man there's always a next time.

I was blown away.

3/10 they didn't even feel up her corpse

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was driving one of the Mini Cooper style cars in the country, enjoying to Radio Ga Ga by Queen, when I was a hill that I just had to ramp off of. So I did, landed nose first into the ground, and exploded.

This game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom