• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AND WHEN I THOUGHT THIS GAME COULDN'T GET ANY BETTER

I SEE THE WORLD UNDER WATER

oh my GOD

fatius

Ok. Finally installing! Went with ps3 disk instead of downloading it.

Now hopefully the kids and visiting family will all go to sleep so I can play it...

Ok guys I noticed something. On the life invader war stock page there are 6 military vehicles but in the in game page, there's only 5 with the apache type helicopter missing. Has anybody found that chopper?

eival

Nope, only installed the Install disc.

This is what my GTA V file on 360 looks like, does this look right?

jbnWqWueL2tmeu.bmp

yes, i went ahead and installed the other disc as well, havent noticed any texture issues like that but im still just in the opening tutorial parts.

only time i remember texture loading like that was if you played GTA 4 online and drove the Interceptor police car in Gay Tony at max speed, it would make the textures look like that, probably to keep the FPS decent.

then again it could just be another bug. either way, spending 5 years developing a game leaves no excuses to cut corners and tell people they cant install it like they've done every other game that's come out including GTA 4, RDR, LA Noire without issue.

if swapping the disc maybe 1 time during the entire campaign would of fixed all the data loading issues, id much rather of done that, Mass Effect 3 had 2 discs, you only had to swap at the very end if you played vanilla campaign, the other data on disc 2 was just if you imported a save and needed to load up all those additional cutscenes, same with LA Noire, the entire world was on all 3 discs, but you merely had to swap for the next batch of cutscenes/missions.

eival

I have the 360 version but popped round my friends house this evening and he has the PS3 version it's OK but I think the 360 controller feels tighter for this game.

The driving being looser means the DS3 stick placement also doesn't feel as nice for me.

i rented the PS3 disc version as well as 360, but its still on the way but if the car handling is noticeably better, ill happily restart on that version and just send back the 360 one..which i wont be using for online anyways since my gold just ran out and im not about to renew just for GTA Online and find out it turns into Mod-City after a few months when Rockstar/Microsoft stop patching it and becomes GTA 4 free roam circa 2009-present day.

SuperSah

Banned
So, I am super happy with the game.

Runs amazing on 360 with almost no issues. The graphics are amazing, the views always blow me away and the skyboxes are incredible.

The draw distance is impressive as is the physics. I REALLY like the driving. I love the arcadey feel, it's a good change from serious driving like Forza 4.

The missions are great and the yacht one made me smile all the way through. The teamwork between characters and the impressive animations.

This was worth the wait.

Only issue is, I suck at flying, but the views from the air never cease to amaze.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I was walking around the downtown earlier today as Franklin, and I see some guy get jacked for his mountain bike. He's screaming for someone to get it back as the thief rides right past me, so naturally I tackle him and return the bike. The guy thanks me and rides off. About 2 hours later(next game day) I get an email from him.
He says he is the president of a large corporation and he gives me 120k worth of company stock. It's still going up at the moment and currently worth around 136k right now I think.
Pretty damn cool.

BFIB

Ok, got a solid 6 or so hours on the 360 version, and played a couple hours at my neighbors house with his PS3 version.

My thoughts:

-Really solid intro. The way everything was introduced, nothing felt like a tutorial.
-Driving did not click with me at first. I'm in the minority, but I really liked GTA IV's driving mechanics. Had a steep learning curve, but once mastered, created some intense, fun chases. Raised the camera height, and saw a big difference in my handling in V. Spent around an hour just driving, and now its starting to feel a lot more natural.
-Mission structure is fantastic. Even though I'm still an errand boy, the way the missions are set up, the errands actually make sense.
-The transition between characters is way, way better than I ever could have imagined.
-Radio selection is the best since San Andreas

Ok, like I stated, I did get some hands on time with the PS3 version today. I honestly could not tell a difference between the two. I read the DF article, and tried to see the blurriness that was mentioned for the 360 version. Could not tell at all. Maybe if they were side by side, but if DF has to nitpick to that level, then it speaks volumes about how well both of these versions were built. Hats off to R*.

Graphics look great, have had a few dips in FPS here and there, but its nothing that is worth keeping me from enjoying the game. For those remotely on the fence, buy it. Best timesink (along with Diablo 3) that you can ask for.

So this game is pretty damn godly. I was hyping this game to the moon and somehow it's still better than I expected. Here's a tip for people. Change to free aim straight away. The game uses the same gunplay as Max Payne 3 minus the bullet time. In other words it has the best tps gunplay around. You just won't be able to see that if you don't switch to free aim. It's really puzzling why Rockstar still insist on using the dated lock on system as the default when they've clearly nailed the shooting mechanics.

This right here. For people complaining about the shooting mechanics: turn off auto-aim! And if you're having difficulty seeing the dot reticule you can change it in the start menu.

wattm

Neo Member
So, I am super happy with the game.

Runs amazing on 360 with almost no issues. The graphics are amazing, the views always blow me away and the skyboxes are incredible.

The draw distance is impressive as is the physics. I REALLY like the driving. I love the arcadey feel, it's a good change from serious driving like Forza 4.

The missions are great and the yacht one made me smile all the way through. The teamwork between characters and the impressive animations.

This was worth the wait.

Only issue is, I suck at flying, but the views from the air never cease to amaze.

It seems to me that they have hardened the flight controls. Even Trevor with his high level of piloting has troubles maintaining stability sometimes.

sappyday

I'll post some pros and cons so far

+ Beautiful world
+ Great graphics (I have low standards I guess because this game is the most visually impressive open world game I have seen)
+ Driving is good
+ Characters are great (I haven't unlocked Trevor)
+ Writing is better than GTA IV, not amazing but a big step up.
+ A lot of customization

- Some pop-in
- Gunplay is not as good as Max Payne 3
- The shooting during driving is terrible
- I don't like the GPS system or the mini map. I get distracted from trying to look at where to go and not on the road.

Karak

Got to spend another 2 hours with the PS3 version now. Don't see any difference between them that is easily discernible. That is good news.

I'll post some pros and cons so far

+ Beautiful world
+ Great graphics (I have low standards I guess because this game is the most visually impressive open world game I have seen)
+ Driving is good
+ Characters are great (I haven't unlocked Trevor)
+ Writing is better than GTA IV, not amazing but a big step up.
+ A lot of customization

- Some pop-in
- Gunplay is not as good as Max Payne 3
- The shooting during driving is terrible
- I don't like the GPS system or the mini map. I get distracted from trying to look at where to go and not on the road.

Agreed with everything but the shooting bit from cars for me. I became an ace while shooting from the car. I have no clue why but it felt so easy.

Fjordson

Second mission of the game spoilers:

Is R* poking fun at open-world games? Specifically their open-world games?

That Simeon a funny dude though, huh? It's gonna be a shame when we get to book his ass and jack him for all his shit.

What the fuck you talkin' about?

That's how shit work, ain't it? You do some jobs for a fool, develop a little uneasy relationship. And then they ask you to do something above and beyond. You fall out, fools get capped, then you start all over again with some other fool."

That's some funny shit if so :lol

the soundtrack is kinda zzzzzz so far, i dont really like most of the songs, more dr dre please.

should have used "Private Eyes" instead of "adult education"

SuperSah

Banned
It seems to me that they have hardened the flight controls. Even Trevor with his high level of piloting has troubles maintaining stability sometimes.

I wish the yaw controls were just simplified for the L stick. It's more realistic, but i'll get used to it.

Try taking off a jumbo-jet. :p

DirtyLarry

Am I missing something on how to use the Blimp? I got it as part of the special edition, and in the map it says directional pad for the Blimp, but all it does is let me easily pick items on the map. Is that all it does?

McLovin

I got to say the ps3 version looks great! The ground textures are nice and crisp too except maybe the sand at the beach. Cut scenes are definitely not 30fps though.

TheContact

Am I missing something on how to use the Blimp? I got it as part of the special edition, and in the map it says directional pad for the Blimp, but all it does is let me easily pick items on the map. Is that all it does?

For me I used the cell phone to call the Blimp, then they stored it at a location near me and I drove to get it

SuperSah

Banned

Call them on the phone, then they dump it for you.

todahawk

:lol I boot up the game and hear "One! Two! Three! Four! Whoo, I got a pelvic flow like a sumo wrestler!!" and it's Franklins' Aunt in the other room exercising in front of the TV.

Essentially what it is. But turning off the auto-aim and increasing the sensitivity is basically essential I think. The default is too sluggish.

Just what I was thinking, good call... bumped it up to what looks like 9.

oh, and press > to drink a beer (x100)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Rockstaaar!!!

how the fuck, i mean waaat? i'm blown away by this game.

One tip: don't just do story missions each of the characters has a ton of side stuff to do.

Also, did you know that when you press the left move thing ... don't know the english word now it's late ... but not the analog stick near pedestrians then you can interact with them.

SuperSah

Banned
Rockstaaar!!!

how the fuck, i mean waaat? i'm blown away by this game.

One tip: don't just do story missions each of the characters has a ton of side stuff to do.

Also, did you know that when you press the left move thing ... don't know the english word now it's late ... but not the analog stick near pedestrians then you can interact with them.

Cheers for the tip!

When can I unlock the Flight School?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom