• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

i really dislike the ingame cutscenes, imho they all behave like puppets on strings, looks so unnatural. I'm alway glad when they are over, i feel uncomfortable watching them, they weird me out.
I've felt this way since gta4. glad I'm not the I only one. Also the lighting baking makes everyone look like melting wax statues (RDR)

Well, just got an exception from UPS

If you live on the east coast and haven't received it yet - expect it tomorrow!

Oh my god screw that. I am in Colorado but mine is not even out for delivery and it is 5:40 P.M. This was the reason I bought Amazon Prime, such a bummer :(

But gah damn, it is gonna be a magical moment when I finally receive this game. Never been so stoked to play a game in my life, and I have never even played a GTA game for more than a couple hours.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm watching my brother play this game.

All I could say was "wow" when he dived into the water. The game looks amazing.

Zeliard

I haven't had that x-ray vision provken with police. I was hiding in an alley with cops circling the block, almist constantly inside the vision cones, yet wasn't spotted until one cop had me in its line of sight.

Yeah after further experimentation, the cops' vision cones can still be on top of you in the map and they shouldn't see you if they don't have line of sight. I just messed around to get the cops' attention and ran off on foot and hid behind a dumpster, and they were close by and scouring the area but were still helpless to know just where I was. Pretty awesome stuff.

I had a moment earlier on in the game where they spotted me when they couldn't possibly have right after one of their vision cones intersected with my character, but I think that may have just been an aberration.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I love it when Michael says: "Great Cops, FUCKING BEAUTIFUL" :lol

Derrick01

Banned
I switched back to Franklin and he was holding lamar back from fighting 2 random guys. What's weirder is Franklin changed clothes and he's wearing what I'm guessing is sweatpants but the texture is so low that it looks more like spandex...with a tanktop. He looks ridiculous :lol

Step

I have a question, Are there some mini games/objectives/collectables like SR/Sleeping Dogs scattered around the map?

Just played this with my friend for about an hour or so. It's amazing how intricately put together everything seems to be, combined with the fantastic atmosphere the game has and how fluid everything works it's just a joy simply to run around.

I died like crazy once I turned off auto-aim. The hip-firing isn't nearly as good as it is in Max Payne 3, and there's no shootdodge. I had to buy like 30 grenades for the next Trevor mission so I wouldn't pull my hair out trying to kill all those enemies without having to sit in cover all day. I wish it was easier to run and gun.

Why can't they just import the shooting mechanics from Max Payne? Is it really that difficult?

I'm sitting here with my copy of the game and I haven't opened it yet. I bought GTA4 based on the 10's and talk of it being the greatest game evar, and came away disappointed. I'm afraid of getting burned again.

Gameplay has to be solid for me to enjoy this game. Anyone got major complaints with the feel of the driving/shooting?

Raw64life

I only pre-ordered last week and Amazon delivered mine at 12:30. Played it for a couple of hours after work. Didn't really get swept up in the hype but so far so good. Although the texture loading in the opening credits when they were showing different locales was terrible. Close ups of giant blurry spots that took several seconds to become buildings. Minor complaint though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why can't they just import the shooting mechanics from Max Payne? Is it really that difficult?

I'm sitting here with my copy of the game and I haven't opened it yet. I bought GTA4 based on the 10's and talk of it being the greatest game evar, and came away disappointed. I'm afraid of getting burned again.

Gameplay has to be solid for me to enjoy this game. Anyone got major complaints with the feel of the driving/shooting?

Dude, just fucking play the game.

it's refined that's for sure...for a open-world game this size, quite outstanding. In comparison to other third party shooters, about average. So, solid to outstanding depending on how far you go into the game and how many gameplay options open up for you. also your abilities level up.

TRUE STORY

So I was kind of stalking this blonde chick in the "Beverly Hills" area, and she finally caught on to me, she started running across the street against a red light, and got hit by a car. I waited around and sure enough the paramedics came.

They had a conversation about how it was too late, and one of them was really upset about it. his partner kept saying don't worry man there's always a next time.

I was blown away.

There was one point for me where I fell off a rooftop, got hit by a car which immediately stopped after, upon which a supposed gang member donned in green proceeded to attempt to steal the car which hit me in the first place. I then shot the thief and took the car for myself.

So ridiculous, I only played this for about an hour and I'm already having a ton of fun with it.

wattm

Neo Member

They are running the "Apple strategy". If they make everything perfect, what is left to improve?

Michael is the GOAT GTA character. He's got that tony soprano post-modern angst.

Franklin is alright so far, kind of generic. I like Lamar more

Lakitu

st5fu
Hehe, random encounter spoiler. Probably been mentioned before but...
I found a couple of Mexican musicians on the hard shoulder, and I proceeded to steal their car with their sombreros and guitars in them. I then ran one of them over which lead to a pretty fun police chase.

Fjordson

The shooting is way better than GTA IV. Not at all comparable.

Driving is pretty subjective, but it's different from IV, so if you hated IV's driving you'll probably like this.

Mayyhem

For a game of this nature, size, and scope, the shooting is pretty damn amazing. No complaints from me. Then again I did not expect them to be able to carbon copy the shooting mechanics from MP3, but I did expect an improvement over 4. It's quite a significant improvement too, shooting is a lot more fun.

Has anybody seen the apache-type chopper?
I saw a Chinook (sp?) near the military base. Looked so badass but impossible at the moment to get near the base without being blown to pieces.

Anyone know how to steal a passenger jumbo jet yet!!?!?!?!? Is it something you figure out later through story missions or can it be done from the start?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Thanks to Amazon's great customer service, cancelled my order in a.2 min.phone call and picked this up at WalMart.

Looks.incredible for a current gen game.

Get off work, get the game, get home, kid is watching Barney on Netflix, no big deal.

Play with the kid and wife for a bit, turn Barney off, delete some stuff off the hdd, insert instal disc, wife tells me there are no more baby wipes.

Go to the store, get back and the game is installed and ready to go, controller dies while setting brightness.

Solidios

Neo Member
My GTA V copy arrived at the office this morning, but I was unable to crack it open until late afternoon. That wasn't a huge issue, because I didn't come into this game super-hyped. I followed the promotional news/screenshots/videos but I didn't consider GTA V a must-play.

Then I played it.

Holy smoke is this game good. I must be a hour or so in, and I've already experienced a few thrilling gunfights and quite a few humorous moments. Seriously, all I kept thinking about on the post-work commute to a friend's apartment were strategies for tomorrow's session.

I think this weekend it'll be me, the PS3, pizza, and a turned-off phone.

This map, the colors, and the day/night cycle is absolutely incredible. I've just been driving around clearing the "fog of war" for the last 2 hours, and I'm constantly surprised at what Rockstar's been able to get out of this ancient hardware.

Also, no major pop-in, texture loading, or framerate issues. My retail PS3 version feels smoother than either GTAIV or RDR on the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom