• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to re-ask this but the thread is flying: anyone know how to change responses to emails and texts on the phone? It says up top "Choose Your Response" but I'm not seeing how to do it.

A bunch of folks have been asking this - I'm guessing that the first few texts you receive, you don't have a choice of response. Pressing right/left on the d-pad makes a sound as if it should scroll, but there's obviously only one choice. Maybe some messages will have choices later on.

Re: in-taxi view - have you tried cycling the views with Select/Back while riding in a cab?
I also love how now you can just tap Circle/B now for cinematic driving cam. Holding that and trying to look cool used to be a chore...

Vibranium

Banned
The game is just awesome, Franklin and Michael are great, once I get to Trevor I'm sure he'll take the cake.

Anyone love the awesome games industry parodies during the
Lifeinvader mission with Lester
? The shots at Call of Duty ("$60 expansion packs!") and publishers were great, makes me wonder what it'd be like to be an Infinity Ward guy and play the game during that segment.

Oh man, what have they done to the flight controls? Planes wobble around in the air randomly, which I suppose is wind and turbulence, but it makes me feel so much less confident flying between buildings and under bridges because I never know when my plane's going to misbehave. And I don't know what's going on with the helicopters. It seems like they'll swing back the other way whenever you try anything interesting with the left stick. You used to be able to fly a chopper without even using the rudders, just throwing them into beautiful sweeping turns and dives, but now you have to do everything with the rudders and try to keep the left stick as steady as possible. They just aren't fun to fly.

I managed to get all Golds in the Flight School, but I'm so disappointed by the way the aircraft control (and I have full Flying skill with Franklin and Trevor, so it's not that). You also apparently don't get anything for finishing Flight School, not even so much as a 'Well done', and it seems like you have to do it all over again with every character. I did it with Franklin first, then when I went back as Trevor (wondering if anything different would happen for him since he's the pilot), all the lessons were locked again and I had to start from the beginning.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this for 12 hours so far (according to character time totals) and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. The game is huuuuge.

d1rtn4p

I put about five hours in now; it's not a bad game. Dialogue, characters and writing are all mostly terrible like the previous games. So much swearing and craziness that you're safe skipping past the cut scenes.

Also, seems almost a crime against humanity for not having a heads-up GPS system while driving. So many wrecks while staring at the mini-map, but I guess it's trademark GTA at this point.

I've heard mixed reports on the ambiance, but to me, it appears to have been cut back from GTA 4. I remember seeing things like cops pulling over cars at gunpoint, and random shootouts with criminals. I haven't seen anything yet that I didn't start, as far as a scene breaking out.

Anyone have any info on what the hidden packages are? I haven't came across one, and I'm curious on the details and how they impact your character.

Zukuu

Banned
When you buy a car, it's one time use only... :X

That, along with my other point earlier in the thread, makes this game vastly inferior in that respect than Sleeping Dogs. A shame.

Cloudy

Banned
LMAO @ Michael meeting Franklin. I like this game

The view while driving is way too close behind the car. They need to patch in additional cams

Anyone have any luck with stocks yet? I bought maybe $1000 worth of shares in two stocks and they haven't done much. Its almost like the real stock market! Lol

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So far I must admit I really love the main characters (especially Trevor) and have been finding the side charcters great as well. It's keeping me very entertained so far.

antitrop

I have to say that it's very easy to marathon this game. I haven't really played a game for this many hours in a day in a looooong time.
I actually can't remember the last time I got completely engrossed in a game so quickly. I'm not prone to marathon gaming sessions. I have a pretty short attention span, I get bored and post on GAF or something.

But I've just been playing GTA V all day, since I got home from work.

malfcn

First mission or so and it's great. A few things though, hard to read all the tutorial info while doing stuff at the same time. And I wish the text was a little larger.

When it says you can replay missions, it said something about not uploading to Rockstar. What was that about? It went away before I finished reading.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

The view while driving is way too close behind the car. They need to patch in additional cams

If you change an option in the menus, vehicle camera or whatever it is' to high when changing through the cameras they are further away from the car.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, this song is SO GOOD: Jessy Bulbo - Maldito. It's plays on the East Los FM station. My new favorite song in the game.

If you change an option in the menus, vehicle camera or whatever it is' to high when changing through the cameras they are further away from the car.
You can also do it by pressing the Select / Back button.

antitrop

You need to check the Options menu and press the Back button on the controller.

Change the view to 'High' and then cycle through the different cams, if you played any previous GTA games, there is one here for you.

Fjordson

I put about five hours in now; it's not a bad game. Dialogue, characters and writing are all mostly terrible like the previous games. So much swearing and craziness that you're safe skipping past the cut scenes.

I've heard mixed reports on the ambiance, but to me, it appears to have been cut back from GTA 4. I remember seeing things like cops pulling over cars at gunpoint, and random shootouts with criminals. I haven't seen anything yet that I didn't start, as far as a scene breaking out.
Bolded is crazy talk.

As for the second point, it's been increased big time over IV. Cop chases, random events, robberies, etc. It's all over the place.

It won't and that's probably the worst part of the game gameplay-wise.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed that they still haven't found a better method for vehicular weapon combat. I think I'd even prefer a simple lock-on that gravitates only toward people / tires / specific mission objectives. Because the camera is much too janky while the vehicle is moving.

anddo0

That's it for today, more than 11 hours logged. I ended the night with Trevor's first mission. I don't know what to make of his character yet. I do find that he talks too much during combat. I also disliked his initial mission. The enemy placement/spawns felt poor, and lead to cheap deaths.

Loving the game so far. I played most of the day, and I barley scratched the surface. The game has so much going, just crazy.

SlickVic

In terms of driving around, a couple things I'm missing from other open world games

- Overlaying of turn-by-turn GPS directions directly on roads
- Being able to toggle the GPS to different missions without needing to pause the game to go to the map ala Sleeping Dogs (if the game does have this, then I'm just missing it).

These are by no means game breaking exclusions, but I kinda wish R* would see some of these good ideas from other open world devs and incorporate it into their game.

King326

You guys tried talking to NPC's/Pedestrians?

Make sure you're facing them on foot and press > on D-Pad. Every character reacts differently towards NPCs. Trevor is hilarious.

Pollux

So I entered a cheat and now achievements are off. I turned the game off and on, and I've still only gotten one achievement. I'm planning the first heist. Have I missed any achievements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom