• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm a total idiot, but I can't find anywhere to buy food in-game.

Apart from health kits in your safehouse and a few other places, is there even any other way to restore health? Doesn't seem to be any enterable food joints.

There are vending machines in some locations and you can buy candy bars in the convenience stores, but that's not even remotely useful because the convenience stores are robbery locations which count as a collectible so none of them are marked on the map, and there's only 20 (or was it 19?...) of them in all of Los Santos and the surrounding areas.

There are Burger Shots etc around, as well as the street vendors from IV (all over Vespucci beach mainly) - but you can't interact with them at all.

Probably my biggest gripe with the game considering the characters don't take much to go down at all. Even sticking a vending machine in all of the ammu-nations would help out.

If I need health I tend to just drive home for the medkit because it's the only place I know I can find one for sure. I've used the 'point of interest' feature on the map to mark up some of the convenience stores, but they don't show up in game so it's not a complete solution.

Just started, got to the point where you first get
access to Michael

Question: does the game tell you when you boost your stats, or is it just some gradual unannounced change?

The stat screen flashes on screen and you see it going up when your leveling up.

Quick

Banned
I like how each character has a different phone.

Michael:
iPhone
Franklin:
Android
Trevor:
Windows Phone

Cdammen

This has probably been asked before: The game tells me to install an iFruit app for my phone to customize cars and train the dog. Where do I do this? Are they talking about my in-game phone or my real phone? If it's the real one, I'm on an Android and the app is only available to iPhones.

I'm really enjoying the tighter driving in this game, even though I really liked the springing and weird physics of GTA IV, also the light is incredible! I love that everything casts a shadow and that they move and change.

(EDIT) Nevermind about the Chop training thing. Just scrolled up and saw it quoted. Fuuuck.

eival

Guys, how do I access the Social Club from within the game?

Can't seem to find the option anywhere.

mine says i dont have permission or somthing.

idk if thats cause my Gold account ran out, or if cause i had "socal media" or whatever disabled on my account, i enabled everything but that normally takes a while to sync up.

either way, it seems kinda dumb that the Dog app and car customisation is "phone-gated", just cause i dont have a smartphone and/or just dont feel like syncing it, i cant access everything within the game.

unless theres a way to get your dog better and stuff wtihin the game thats kinda dumb.

i find it ironic that they make fun of all the social media stuff yet they have facebook integration and all these phone apps and crap which is nothing more than the same facade other social outlets use to entice you to sync all your accounts.

PS. it sure would be nice if the "losing the cops" method made some sort of sense, i just spent probably 30 minutes driving all across lower santos trying to lose a 3 star level, i was out of their sight for atleast 30 some seconds, even got out and hid...nope, here comes some cops who spawned on foot, then i reach LAX where the helicopter loses me and jump out into a lil stairway and the stars go off in just 5 seconds...wtf.

Dries

Really? No enterable food-joints? Can't be.. Guess they had to compromise on something. But is this really true GAF?

Also, can someone say how many hours/missions it takes to gain control over Michael?

It's crazy how I've been getting away from the cops like the opening scene of Drive rather then my usual just drive really fast. Been doing a lot of hiding in alleys, and behind people houses just avoiding the cops. It's amazing.
I heard there was a way to turn off the engine but I can't work out how. Do you know? I think this is possibly a result of the city design. I'm finding that sprawling car chases are a little harder compared to IV because the layout and traffic is so haphazard.

terrible

Banned
I heard there was a way to turn off the engine but I can't work out how. Do you know? I think this is possibly a result of the city design. I'm finding that sprawling car chases are a little harder compared to IV because the layout and traffic is so haphazard.

I've never gotten away from cops just by driving really fast. I always have to hide somewhere and it's kind of boring to be honest. I like the way cop chases went in GTA IV a lot more.

PS. it sure would be nice if the "losing the cops" method made some sort of sense, i just spent probably 30 minutes driving all across lower santos trying to lose a 3 star level, i was out of their sight for atleast 30 some seconds, even got out and hid...nope, here comes some cops who spawned on foot, then i reach LAX where the helicopter loses me and jump out into a lil stairway and the stars go off in just 5 seconds...wtf.

this. I eventually had to burrow under an overpass against a wall and right as the stars went a way a chopper moved in right above me so probably got lucky. System seems very unforgiving, can't even get your car repainted, tells you to lose the cops first.

Aleph

I've been playing the game for around 10 hours... can someone explain what the "press right stick while driving" thing was? If I do it the camera looks backwards...

Apparently if you install the game disc to a USB drive and the install disc to your xbox it solves the problem with the graphics not loading in

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/gta-5-xbox-360-installation-issue-solved-with-usb-drive

I haven't tried it out though

Ugh. Maybe I'm just confused, but are they saying to pick the HDD when it asks where to install to, then use the dashboard to install the play disc to the USB drive?

I've already started installing the "install" disc to the USB drive. I was planning on leaving the play disc in the ODD drive. Am I going to be ok?

RDreamer

Good god Rockstar, why can't you make good controls on fucking anything?

I just want to go to sleep, and I have to land a goddamned plane to do it. Holy shit this couldn't be worse.

Oh yeah, a small story. I finally found the airport earlier but the catch is I had 3 stars, so I had to rush and find a plane. After a few minutes of running, around I found one! I couldn't turn, so I backed up as much as I could and let it rip! Cleared the first two obstacles, just barely, and...!

one of my wings smash into the building causing the plane to crash down onto the roof and explode

;_;
Lollll same thing happened to me when I found the airport. To turn you have to use R1 and L1 (not sure Xbox equivalent) or else you'll just go straight.

Automatically get 3 stars in the airport unfortunately. Not sure if that will change eventually maybe you unlock access or something through the story.

nib95

Banned
Good god Rockstar, why can't you make good controls on fucking anything?

I just want to go to sleep, and I have to land a goddamned plane to do it. Holy shit this couldn't be worse.

Yea that bit was frustrating. In fact, I found a lot of segments weren't clearly explained or messaged. During that plane sequence I could barely read the instructions on the top left, and had to concentrate on that plus landing the damn thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this game, but I've experienced a tonne of frustration as well as joy so far.

Moaradin

Holy shit, the missions are so much better than GTA 4. I'm only 1-2 hours in and some of the missions I've done were more fun than anything in the last game.

Jon93

Neo Member
So I've ran around to a bunch of different communities and found that a very small portion of PS3 players are having horrible FPS issues.

If the crowd is large enough here maybe we should organize a thread to collect info on everyone's PS3 and submit a helpful and formal bug report to Rockstar.

malfcn

Does this game still track stats and deaths?
I finished a mission and bumped into someone that jumped me and before I knew it I was wasted. Woke up at the hospital and -$15. Is that the only penalty? I remember GTA having extensive stats before.

So the mission right after the first heist that has Franklin coming over Michael's... who the fuck is this Dave guy? Did I miss something? They both act like they know him.

JoshHood

Loving the game, but they definitely need to patch it and increase the text size for the tutorial prompts early in the game. Have to basically stop playing to look over and read them.

Oh and the iFruit app is seriously crappy. Minute-long loads into it and then to the apps, and really unresponsive. Hopefully most of that is down to the servers getting hammered.

Does this game still track stats and deaths?
I finished a mission and bumped into someone that jumped me and before I knew it I was wasted. Woke up at the hospital and -$15. Is that the only penalty? I remember GTA having extensive stats before.

Still tracks deaths, per character now. Lucky with that $15, it can go as I high as $5K per hospital visit if I recall.

About to throw my controller across the room at this plane landing sequence...
Which one are you talking about? The first time you get in a plane early with Trevor? Where you "race" your buddy to the landing? I hope its not that one because that was incredibly simple. I find the flying to be perfect in the game. Although I have played a lot of flight sims.

Recoil

Popped into Michael, and he's just driving around town in an
FIB SUV

Interesting.

I really like how this game is building up the mystery about his character.

RDreamer

Which one are you talking about? The first time you get in a plane early with Trevor? Where you "race" your buddy to the landing? I hope its not that one because that was incredibly simple. I find the flying to be perfect in the game. Although I have played a lot of flight sims.

Yes it's that one. The controls are so disorienting and crazy. I can't fucking turn or do anything. The times that I finally get to the damned strip I end up landing but wrecking the gear too much or damaging the fucking plane...

Edit: Holy shit I just want to sleep... good god let me land this fucker...

malfcn

Still tracks deaths, per character now. Lucky with that $15, it can go as I high as $5K per hospital visit if I recall.

I may reload, it's a cheap death. I've actually always reloaded GTA games, don't know why but I like beating it with 0 deaths. Wow, it's like the stat menu wasn't there a moment ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom