• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
The voice of Stretch is definitely.....

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

Love it

Holy fuck, I haven't met this character yet but I looked it up and it's true

That's awesome

Jindrax

Ok here's my summary:
Tech stuff: Game runs mint on 60gig phat ps3... But that might be because I have extra USB fans on the front of the unit. People complaining about AA and IQ, it looks about the same as any ps3 game the graphics themselfves arn't that impressive. The models and animations and physics and living world, these are the freakin mint. The way the water moves, rain puddles, car damage, ragdolls, reaction of bystanders and basicly all the NPC's just... WOW.

Gameplay: Some cars drive great, others feel weird, just depends, driving itself though is fine. Shooting feels goodn though I think the enemies take a shitload of bullets before dropping though... Swimming, running, riding, jumping all good. Haven't tried air vehicles yet. Level of costomisation is somewhere between GTA4 and GTASA.

My takeaways: contains gameplay spoilers no story spoilers:
1. Yesterday I was stuck in traffic for some reason (whoever complained about empty world... FU. I then used the horn... The guy infront wound his window down en stuck his middlefinger out at me. So I was like DUDE WTF so I kept pressing the horn. He then stepped out... and proceeded to kick my ass ( I didn't get to the hand to hand combat tutorial yet ). The living world is freakin mint
2. It feels like they took the "realism" from GTA4 and made it fun. I had a blast just driving around doing nothing xD
3. Random events are fun... yet betraying! I had one where this lady got her handbag stolen so I chased the dude down and kicked his ass ( after the combat tutorial HA! ), got the bag back, and brought it to her (contained 750$) she then just said thanks and walked off. No reward! So I shot her in the face and took it back xD. But once this lady was calling for help! So I went over. She said her friend was getting beaten by a guy. So I walked over to the alley ( in hindsight... this was a bit dumb ) and walked straight into an ambush! That's how Michael got shot up...
4. This I think is one of the greatest improvements in GTA. I had a sweet black Audi A8 sort of thing... I drove it to a mission. Parked it. Did the mission. After the mission was complete, I look at the street and there it was, exactly my car, parked! didn't even lose it! So I used the same car, between 4 missions and it never vanished! It always showed back up! Untill I blew it up... I miss it now :(
5. You can pop the roof on convertable cars... OMFG
6. Things I think suck (nitpicking): I bought Franklin a 5000$ set of clothes, switch back to Michael to do a mission, switch back. The dude is wearing his freaking rags again! I think theres 6 barbershops and they all have the same stuff, except the one in the fancy pants neighberhood he had something different... ish. (I only checked 4/6), Same with clothes. Can't walk aroudn shirtless? Can't change physical appearance. Franklin is ripped Michael is old and unfit. Doesn't change :(. The car shooting is indeed enourmously shit xD but OMG I don't even know how to aim properly without shooting about 50000 bullets allover the place first. Not sure if I like the new cop system or not.

Overal the game is epic, a must buy. Can't wait to test out MP

7. Questions: Can I rob stuff? Do all characters have their "own" car? what effects do the stat points have? I heard stuff about car insurance, where how what?

Ok found out what those beeping sounds are on my ps3 super slim. It's the seeking reading/sound of the drive, sounds like that beep when you turn on your ps3.

I have never had this problem on my old phat ps3 :(

Putty

I was just driving around for 30 mins last night and man, the map is just massive! And the amount of detail is just astounding! So many details to take in. Honestly the tech differences over GTA4 just beggars belief!

So good.

Born2Live

Managed to play for 4 hours or so last night, would have still been playing now if I didn't have to go to work. The game is awesome I've done the odd mission here or there but most of my time has been spent just cruising around and taking it all in. GTAV baby!!!

What really stood out for me is just how much vibrant and colourful the whole game is compared to GTAIV, I know this is mostly down to location but even so it's nice.

I was just driving around for 30 mins last night and man, the map is just massive! And the amount of detail is just astounding! So many details to take in. Honestly the tech differences over GTA4 just beggars belief!

So good.

For the size of the game world and the amount of detail in it, it's in a league of its own. A HUGE upgrade from IV.

kris.

Banned
So I think I played for like 13 hours today. I haven't done something like that in maybe 3 years. Rockstar has made the video game equivalent to crack. I gotta power through work tomorrow so I can play some more.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well guys

With 2 hours of sleep

I'm now headed to work

Fuck my life I feel ruined

I done a mission yesterday with Michael, where you
smoke weed and all those aliens appear and you have a chainsaw in your hand. I found that he didn't even use the chainsaw, I was just running up to them and killing the by touching them

Is this a bug?

Had some weird mission inconsistencies -
during the mission where Franklin repairs Michael's car I was credited by the guy for having won I race I hadn't won yet. I don't think this is a glitch so much as an inconsistency that assumes you'd have done that race by the time you do the mission

Also had a car clone itself in my garage, preventing me from withdrawing either one.

Can someone explain to me why
Lamar wanted to attack the Baller in the first mission with Chop? If the game explained why he wanted to do that I missed the explanation

Manic D

I have two main issues with the game so far, apart from the new driving physics which are a big step back from IV's:

-shooting from a car in first-person/hood view should not change the viewpoint to third-person, in IV you could shoot in first person viewpoint and it worked much better.
-there should be a separate steering sensitivity adjustment, as the cars are just too twitchy with even the most subtle controller movement.

The game looks terrific on PS3 & runs fine for the most part. Still early on in the game.

just got done with a twelve hour play session an hour ago, and reading this thread means I'm gonna probably put in a nother 2-3 before sleep.

It's 1 AM here.

As for the game, it's fucking great, love the amount of content and incredibly happy that the mechanics are so improved. and FUCK trevor. I love him and I hate him.

Also, (random encounter spoiler and very early game spoiler)
have you guys ever had your protagonists bump into one another by accident? I had micheal bump into franklin after their first encounter, micheal promised frank a beer, which got brought up in the next cutscene. Does that always happen, because that was fucking mindblowing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had some weird random encounters with Trevor. The whole game in general gets so much crazier when he comes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
But you'll miss OT2!
No see I'm still here! MOBILE GAF BABY, NOTHING CAN STOP ME!!!

I posted my impressions in that other GTAV thread btw!

JoshHood

smoke weed and all those aliens appear and you have a chainsaw in your hand. I found that he didn't even use the chainsaw, I was just running up to them and killing the by touching them

Is this a bug?

It's a minigun isn't it?

Draconian

Cover system feels pretty good. Miles improvement over IV's. I've only done two or three missions, so I can't comment on much else. I do think the "tap A to run" is a part of these games' controls that feels like it should've been dropped a long time ago.

xbhaskarx

Am I supposed to sell
Lifeinvader
stock before the
Michael cell phone
mission? I don't have any in my portfolio, is there a way to short a stock? Should I be buying it now that it's
down to $109
?

Got a great deal on this game today at Best Buy! They matched the Toys R Us promotion of any Rockstar game that's $19.99 for free with GTA V purchase + $10 gift card. They didn't have the regular Red Dead Redemption, so they gave me the GOTY edition no problem.

spekkeh

Banned
Loving the game, but they definitely need to patch it and increase the text size for the tutorial prompts early in the game. Have to basically stop playing to look over and read them.
Same here. Boggles the mind that they spent 260 million and could not hire a UI designer that knows a thing or two about visual search and split attention.

NeoGiff

Is this a bug?

It's not a
chainsaw, it's a minigun.

just got done with a twelve hour play session an hour ago, and reading this thread means I'm gonna probably put in a nother 2-3 before sleep.

It's 1 AM here.

As for the game, it's fucking great, love the amount of content and incredibly happy that the mechanics are so improved. and FUCK trevor. I love him and I hate him.

have you guys ever had your protagonists bump into one another by accident? I had micheal bump into franklin after their first encounter, micheal promised frank a beer, which got brought up in the next cutscene. Does that always happen, because that was fucking mindblowing.

See, this never happened to me, so when
Franklin shows up at Michael's house uninvited hitting him up for a beer it didn't make any sense
. Kind of hate that this can happen.

JoshHood

Same here. Boggles the mind that they spent 260 million and could not hire a UI designer that knows a thing or two about visual search and split attention.

Yup. I'm struggling a little bit with the bars below the map, but getting used to it. The way IV handled that stuff was much better suited for quick glancing.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Franklin shows up at Michael's house uninvited hitting him up for a beer it didn't make any sense

Wait, what?

When franklin jacks the car and they "meet", Michael says something about having a drink, teaching him what the world is really about

I thought that's what they were referencing.

KAP151

Anyone had their cars dissapear from the garage.

Both regular and custom cars. From different garages too.

Few other people reporting this as well.

Pissing me off big time!

hahaha, oh man, that's kinda shitty. I had hoped the game was being super reactive to what I had done :p

It's 1 AM here.

That didn't happen to me. Franklin mentioned a beer in the cut scene but I was wracking my brain trying to figure out when they talked about that. I never had them run into one another before their missions together.

sqwarlock

So I learned today that flying through the windshield after a big collision leaves you a very bloody and dead mess. Same goes for exiting a car while it's moving at high speeds. The game feels more unforgiving than IV, and I don't mind at all. Makes for some hilarious deaths.

Oh, running and jumping into a wall for the first time only to encounter a satisfying "thunk" and a Euphoria fall is one of the funniest things I've done so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom