• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

One thing I thought was kind of jarring is how quickly Michael and Franklin become bros. Early game spoilers

Michael puts a gun to his head, tells the dude to run into the dealership, and then comes over to his house.

Game is great though. Still have to meet Trevor. I'm waiting for a mission to start so I went into the back country, jumped off Mt Chiliad. Explored a bit and eventually got back to Los Santos.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Basically you bust in yelling for everyone to get the fuck down, while one of the crew members covers the civilians you and another smash all the display cases stealing the goods. This option just seems more chaotic because you've got all these people on the ground freaking out while you're smashing and grabbing and you keep getting a time count down to when you need to leave.
That's awesome! Can't wait to play a second run through this masterpiece :3!

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, that part felt really weird to me. [spoilers from the same part]
I thought TLAD did a great job of establishing that Johnny remains calm and cool in the face of unhinged characters. Maybe Billy wasn't Trevor crazy but Johnny was like a completely different character in 5.
The whole scene/mission won't make or break the game but it was a definitely an eyebrow raising moment for me.

I'll say it again: the character you are talking about has completely lost his life and brains to METH. FUCKING METH. he was a meth head and he died like one.

newsguy

I'm playing way too much. Last night I finally stole a plane and took it to the base in order to steal a jet. Of course I assumed I would get a parachute bur I didn't. so when I made my heroic jump on to the base's airstrip, I made a splat sound.

Smokey

A lot of controls in the game. When you are finished with chop, what do button do you press to stop playing with him? And then how do you switch characters again when in battle? I know the quick method is pressing down on dpad, but isn't there another way?

Madness

I know we're already past launch, but please guys, be a bit more careful and spoiler your story missions and what characters do etc. Like reading through this thread, I've already had the second heist spoiled, things like where missions will happen, what characters are in play and where they happen on map. With spoiler text, it gives us the option to not have it spoiled immediately while scrolling down.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
hmmm, I dunno. Did you get her to like you whilst doing a two person dance? If that happens, as did with my Trevor, You might get both women to like you, but only one will ask you to take her home.

I really think it's a storyline thing. Because I don't even think the second 'set' of strippers starts rotating in until after the first heist.

Mr.Swag

Banned
This is the second day in a row my body wakes me up early.

It wants grand theft auto.

Have four hours left till class. Might as well get a little sesh in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| Can we stop for ice cream on the way?
Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| Dragonzord can't even romance strippers right

melee is still as shitty as 4 :(

I just love how there are so many 1 time use unique animations splattered around.

btw: if you get kicked out of the strip club (is there more than one?), can you ever go back, as in does it 'reset' in a day or so?

Played up to
the introduction of Trevor
last night, loving it. Haven't heard Party All The Time yet on the radio which is extremely disappointing.

Not crazy about Franklin's voice actor so far, but it might just be because the guy voicing Lamar is so good. He's not bad, but compared to some of the other characters I haven't been as impressed.

Drivers get road rage!? Brilliant! This guy chased me down a windy dirt path to a dead end at the ocean. I pulled out my gun and he ran right away screaming. Haha. Love it.

MMaRsu

I just love how there are so many 1 time use unique animations splattered around.

btw: if you get kicked out of the strip club (is there more than one?), can you ever go back, as in does it 'reset' in a day or so?

Huh? Melee is much better than in 4.

Is Regulators in the game? I haven't heard it on the radio :(.

kazebyaka

Banned
Was going to attempt to beat the game for 100% completion. One look at an official guide persuaded me not to do so. There is so much stuff to do and collect, it's crazy!

Nyx

Ahahaha, was the the one about the guy who dreams while he is awake? That was weird.

Saw that one too, very VERY weird haha.

At one point some lady said : ''and then I end up with a Hermaphrodite'' which was so out of context at that moment.

Then the talk about post-modernism and stuff, really, who thinks of this shit haha

newsguy

Last night I encountered a random mission where
a woman tells you to follow her to a house because a man is beating his wife. When you arrive it's a scam and 3 guys try to rob you. So I killed the 3 guys and the woman crouched down in fear. As a lesson to future thieves, I doused her in gas and burned her alive.

MMaRsu

a woman tells you to follow her to a house because a man is beating his wife. When you arrive it's a scam and 3 guys try to rob you. So I killed the 3 guys and the woman crouched down in fear. As a lesson to future thieves, I doused her in gas and burned her alive.

lol

Linius

Was going to attempt to beat the game for 100% completion. One look at an official guide persuaded me not to do so. There is so much stuff to do and collect, it's crazy!

It's a lot. But the world is so much fun to be in that I'll probably end up going for it anyways :p

Bishop89

lol i had that mission today, i just shot her instead

Spazznid

I went on a lust-filled rampage, and got killed. They let me back in after that.

Karak

Ahahaha, was the the one about the guy who dreams while he is awake? That was weird.

I wanted to put that in my review but I was...I mean it was so hard to describe I just figured screw it. But I wanted to talk about it so much because it seems to make sense but doesn't...then seems to again. It was crazy.

ScOULaris

Despite a somewhat dull opening hour or so, I am absolutely in love with this game now that everything is starting to click. It's just so huge and packed with details that I'm struggling to decide what to discuss.

Quick question: anyone else bummed about no longer being able to attack anyone or draw your weapon when you're inside a shop? I miss going on senseless rampages in LAN cafes and clothing stores.

Karak

One thing I thought was kind of jarring is how quickly Michael and Franklin become bros. Early game spoilers

Michael puts a gun to his head, tells the dude to run into the dealership, and then comes over to his house.

Game is great though. Still have to meet Trevor. I'm waiting for a mission to start so I went into the back country, jumped off Mt Chiliad. Explored a bit and eventually got back to Los Santos.

I feel that this is explained or at least the overall tone and feel of the game explains this spoiler bit above and makes it make sense.

Linius

Despite a somewhat dull opening hour or so, I am absolutely in love with this game now that everything is starting to click. It's just so huge and packed with details that I'm struggling to decide what to discuss.

Quick question: anyone else bummed about no longer being able to attack anyone or draw your weapon when you're inside a shop? I miss going on senseless rampages in LAN cafes and clothing stores.

I have to admit I was thinking about robbing or killing that barber on rodeo drive after my haircut but I couldn't do shit inside the store :p

j-wood

You know what Rockstar? If you're going to make a phone application that does useful stuff in the game, the least you could do is make sure the application is ready to go on all phone OS's by release.

Total bullshit there is still no android app.

Well I might be going in the hospital today for a week or two and I've fallen in love with this game since I got it at midnight launch. I know I need to get better and it will be here when I get back, but still it's just that great.

Quoting this out so people can take a moment to stop complaining about graphics and framerates for a second (then go back to your arguments again).

Good luck man, get better soon.

newsguy

Yeah. I wanted to shoot up the Ammunation because I loved how in the old games the guy working was crazier than you. What I really miss are hydraulics though. How can you roll in Balla territory and not hit the 3 wheel motion while blasting N.W.A???

Sushigod7

You know what Rockstar? If you're going to make a phone application that does useful stuff in the game, the least you could do is make sure the application is ready to go on all phone OS's by release.

Your not missing anything even when it works it's pretty boring.

BoatAck

Does the PS3 Super Slim with GTA V packed in come with a case for the game? I need a new PS3 so I might just return my 360 copy and start over on PS3. I hate not having a case for games. I always leave the disk lying around and it gets fucked up.

I checked out an unboxing video and it looks like GTA V comes with the case. I am thinking of buying that bundle as well.

Spazznid

Whew! I thought I missed something!
I accidentally shot her during the fight, and thought she might've been put up to it, and would allow me to "Save" her or something.... Still capped the bitch in the head at the end. Nobody tries and gets the upper hand on Franklin.

Last night, I was driving by the rich houses, as trevor, and
some lost were carrying a girl into a Van. I got out and handed them some desert justice, and the girl was thankful, she asked me to drive her home. I also had the option of taking her to that church thing, but was going to taker her home. On the way, some Lost caught up to me and shot my tire, causing me to spin out. When I stopped, I tried to aim at them, but they pulled up in front and managed a headshot through the windshield, killing me and the girl.
Not a real mission, so no retries.. I almost cried.

Tek

Agreed :(

TxdoHawk

I'm just past where you get to know Trevor. My thoughts so far, spoilers behind tags.

So far, I definitely feel like this is a step up in the gameplay department and no real progress in the story department. Character motivations seem really sloppily written at times, although I really like how Michael's family members
are so terrible they make him someone you sympathize with by comparison.

I also have a really hard time believing that
everyone else on the team would simply accept that some giant scary mobster, seemingly only introduced to nudge players to the first heist, gets a 2.5 million cut before anyone else takes their share.

Trevor's first bit of gameplay is quite good too. The idea that
hearing a Michael quote would suddenly set Trevor off on a crazy, manic rampage and takeover spree
is video-gamey, but it works here, and the relentless pace of those few missions does a good job of setting the tone of
how unhinged the guy is.
Also, it's great that one of Trevor's buddies
is basically the GTA equivalent of a Juggalo, and this isn't even ripped on or even acknowledged.
Even better,
sometimes he's wearing face paint and other times he's not, with seemingly no real rhyme or reason why.
It's a good example of where Rockstar could've easily squeezed the character for a cheap laugh and chose not to, because somebody realized his mere existence and mannerisms are hilarious enough. It's a rare restraint that I wish you'd see more of in these games.

As for the gameplay itself, I think the supposed "better" gunplay system is kind of a farce. The lockon seems about as wonky as it ever was. Will the reticule snap to this guy? Will it not? Like IV, it's sometimes a guess. I also never thought the gunplay was nearly as bad as advertised, though. Damage seems a tad high and random, one guy with an automatic weapon that pulls off a lucky shot can really ruin your day. I'm glad we have regenerating health, at least. The liberal checkpoints are also a godsend.

The driving, to me, is what it is. I think it's too twitchy and responsive this time out, but this kind of thing will always come down to personal preference, and eventually everyone gets used to the new driving model.

I'm not super impressed with the weapon customization, since this is a semi-realistic game every mod I've come across has been pretty ho-hum. I do like the firing range, it actually seems like some thought was put into the challenges, and I wasted a good solid 30 or 40 minutes bronzing everything.

One last note: No bunny-hopping on bicycles? That was a fun part of San Andreas.

This seems like mostly complaints, but a lot of this stuff is pretty nit-picky, especially the story beats. The game itself is really, really enjoyable so far. It's not going to be mistaken for a game that pushes the medium drastically forward, but it feels like the culmination of what a "traditional" open-world game can be. This is good, because the game is fun, and bad, because I think it's going to be harder from this point out to come up with new, compelling gameplay ideas for open-world experiences.

GTA has pushed he limits of what a game like this can be. Saints Row 4 took great delight in smashing those bog-standard ideas for the sake of fun. It's going to be really interesting to see what these two franchises decide to do next.

keyrat

And then the way Michael decides to get back in the game soon after that, because
he levels a notorious mafioso's $2.5m house thinking the tennis coach who fucks his wife lives in it.

That was a little much for me. I can see myself skipping some of these cutscenes. That said, I've enjoyed Franklin's co-worker's banter.

Me when I'm playing with stocks in real life AND in-game:

wmeBHvt.jpg

It's just like gambling; don't bother doing it unless you know you will win.
There are missions and side things that will affect a company and the stock price. The few times I've seen it it's been pretty clearly layed out.

CF22

There are some things they should've kept from IV. Yesterday I tried buying food from a hot dog stand at the pier, there's no Huntley Sport, and something else I forgot because the game is so good.

ScOULaris

Yeah. I wanted to shoot up the Ammunation because I loved how in the old games the guy working was crazier than you. What I really miss are hydraulics though. How can you roll in Balla territory and not hit the 3 wheel motion while blasting N.W.A???
I believe you can have hydraulics installed if you bring your car into a mod shop.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SOON I GET TO GO HOME. Ironically, I might just kick back with some TV in the game at first.

This game is so fucking meta.

STRAIGHT UP.

Less than 2 hours...!

ScOULaris

There are some things they should've kept from IV. Yesterday I tried buying food from a hot dog stand at the pier, there's no Huntley Sport, and something else I forgot because the game is so good.
Can you get food anywhere anymore? Whenever I come across a restaurant it doesn't let me go in like I could in San Andreas and GTA4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom