• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
Well I might be going in the hospital today for a week or two and I've fallen in love with this game since I got it at midnight launch. I know I need to get better and it will be here when I get back, but still it's just that great.

Anyway sure there are some aliasing issues, but the graphics are seriously amazing for a world this huge and realized. The lighting shaders are a huge part of that. Earlier today I found myself on the coastal highway as it transitioned to night time and I was blown away. It might seem like a little thing, but the lighting in the tunnels with other cars was something out of this world. I'm enjoying this far, far more than GTA IV already. I can't wait for Online to come out.
1-2 weeks? Damn man i hope it isn't anything really, really serious and hope you get better soon.

Hey everyone few questions:

#1 So how does the saving a car before you own a full garage work?
#2 Getting gold on the target range is like impossible or am doing something wrong?

Maybe some more later.

Afrodium

Banned
Found this in a cable car station on top of Mount Chilliad.
3bDcQER.jpg

Any guesses as to what it means?

Linius

Lol, saw a random encounter happening.

Was driving around and some guy was being mugged at a parking lot. Ran over those robbers with my car and collected the reward :p

Good to see they brought those random events over from RDR.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
#2 Getting gold on the target range is like impossible or am doing something wrong?

Maybe some more later.
You unlock better guns of the same type (different handguns, different SMGs etc), always choose the latest weapon and you should do fine. It's easy once you realize how important x3 combo is. It's much better to chill out and make every shot count, and go with x3 bonus, rather than holding down the button and getting weaksauce single-digit numbers!

TxdoHawk

Can you get food anywhere anymore? Whenever I come across a restaurant it doesn't let me go in like I could in San Andreas and GTA4.

You can get food and drinks from vending machines. Not sure why they didn't bring back the food places, they were kind of hilarious in IV. I wonder if it was just an easy thing to cut to save development time.

MMaRsu

As for the gameplay itself, I think the supposed "better" gunplay system is kind of a farce. The lockon seems about as wonky as it ever was. Will the reticule snap to this guy? Will it not? Like IV, it's sometimes a guess.

Please turn off lock-on dude. I don't understand why R* defaults to this bullshit. I think they acknowledge that most gamers suck at games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You can get food and drinks from vending machines. Not sure why they didn't bring back the food places, they were kind of hilarious in IV. I wonder if it was just an easy thing to cut to save development time.
Oh so that's why I couldn't get a hotdog from the stand! They completely took that away? FUUUUUUCK :( WHY.

Lol, saw a random encounter happening.

Was driving around and some guy was being mugged at a parking lot. Ran over those robbers with my car and collected the reward :p

Good to see they brought those random events over from RDR.

this happened to me too, i gave the guy his money back ($500) and he only gave me $50 as a reward so I killed him and collected $90 more

:)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Please turn off lock-on dude. I don't understand why R* defaults to this bullshit. I think they acknowledge that most gamers suck at games.

Yep Free Aim is the way to go, I really hope they don't do this shit with GTA Online and have Free Aim as default.

MMaRsu

Oh so that's why I couldn't get a hotdog from the stand! They completely took that away? FUUUUUUCK :( WHY.

Ram?

Yep Free Aim is the way to go, I really hope they don't do this shit with GTA Online and have Free Aim as default.

Hahahahah... no :(

R* screwed Max Payne 3 by having 3 different playlists to play in. Lock on,assisted and free aim. Everybody would go lock-on because faster kills equals faster XP. Almost nobody played in free aim, and Max Payne 3 multipayer is dead on consoles.

hort22

anyone else feel overwhelmed playing this?...i guess its really my first GTA experience and i might be the worlds worst driver, shooter, and eluder of police...i am pretty good at getting lap dances though!

cdkee

Banned
The sound in the game is incredible as well. I swear when you slow down (press brake) in a nice car you can hear it rev higher as it presumably downshifts. Also when you're on a hill, stopped, if you slightly press the acceleration trigger the car rolls back a little.

The attention to detail is amazing. Kudos to R*.

Megasoum

Banned
The sound in the game is incredible as well. I swear when you slow down (press brake) in a nice car you can hear it rev higher as it presumably downshifts. Also when you're on a hill, stopped, if you slightly press the acceleration trigger the car rolls back a little.

Yeah and if you get out of the car in a silent spot (like a garage for example) you can hear the engine click as its cooling down.

kris.

Banned
Looking at stock pages in-game and real life is like reading an alien language.

I know you should invest when
doing an assassination mission, you invest in the competition but it's never clear WHO the competition is

Lester says outright during the mission cutscenes whose stock will benefit from the assassination. Just gotta pay attention.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
R* screwed Max Payne 3 by having 3 different playlists to play in. Lock on,assisted and free aim. Everybody would go lock-on because faster kills equals faster XP. Almost nobody played in free aim, and Max Payne 3 multipayer is dead on consoles.

I know dude, I liked playing Max Payne 3 online as well :( I hate the way they keep splitting the playerbase. Well maybe with GTA Online it has a better chance.

KB24

anyone else feel overwhelmed playing this?...i guess its really my first GTA experience and i might be the worlds worst driver, shooter, and eluder of police...i am pretty good at getting lap dances though!

Overwhelmed by it's awesomeness! *slaps knee*

cdkee

Banned
Yeah and if you get out of the car in a silent spot (like a garage for example) you can hear the engine click as its cooling down.

Oh yeah, how could I forget? R* really went the extra mile here. These are the little things that differentiate them from other studios in a big way.

JackHerer

Hey everyone few questions:

#1 So how does the saving a car before you own a full garage work?

Maybe some more later.

I had some difficulty with this as well. It seems like most of the time the car will show up again at the impound lot. The full garage does not seem to save vehicles. It will only store them. Unless that's what you meant.

In that case each character has a safe house and you can store cars in the garage at each one.

Megasoum

Banned
Lester says outright during the mission cutscenes whose stock will benefit from the assassination. Just gotta pay attention.

I was super dumb and invested in LifeInvader after blowing up the dude... Argghhh it's pissing me off. So who are the competitors? I missed it during the cutscene.

Also when you're on a hill, stopped, if you slightly press the acceleration trigger the car rolls back a little.

yeah at first I thought game was slightly bugged, then realized - woah its like driving a real car. Also impressed at the change in traction driving on dirt road.

ScOULaris

What's especially strange is that Cluckin' Bell and Burger Shot are scattered around the whole city like they were before, only now you can't go into them.

It's not a major omission, especially since your health now partially regenerates during downtime. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. :(

newsguy

I believe you can have hydraulics installed if you bring your car into a mod shop.

You know I keep reading this but I've takes countless low riders into the mod shop and have never been given the option for hydraulics. The only suspension upgrade I've seen is dropping cars.

Yoshichan

That's what it seems. What I'd forgotten was no more buying food at places like Burger Shot or Cluckin Bell.
I'm really curious why they did this... Can't possibly be hardware restriction. I mean, how much power can a place like Burger Shot really take?

Random event
I was driving around with Michael and some guy was screaming that his bike was being stolen so I go after the thief and return the guys bike
..about an hour later
I get a random email form the guy whose bike I returned and it turns out he is loaded and gives me
$100,000
in stock to some company.
I love this game.

cdkee

Banned
What's especially strange is that Cluckin' Bell and Burger Shot are scattered around the whole city like they were before, only now you can't go into them.

It's not a major omission, especially since your health now partially regenerates during downtime. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. :(

Yeah, fast food places did have their own charm...but you can buy drinks from vending machines to restore health as well.

DodgerSan

Question regarding a freaks & strangers mission:

Does the weed- induced 'alien invasion' only happen the one time? Seems like a waste if so!

Yoshichan

Jesus, Gen X! Good job man!

Septimius

I'm really curious why they did this... Can't possibly be hardware restriction. I mean, how much power can a place like Burger Shot really take?

Well. Hmm. They might have some way of pre-loading houses that you actually can enter. If there's a Burger Shot everywhere, it might get in the way of that. What do I know, though. They're pushing everything to the limit, so maybe it was just the straw that would break the camel's back.

Linius

Random event
I was driving around with Michael and some guy was screaming that his bike was being stolen so I go after the thief and return the guys bike
..about an hour later
I get a random email form the guy whose bike I returned and it turns out he is loaded and gives me
$100,000
in stock to some company.
I love this game.

Wow, introduce me to this guy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom