• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undead

Metacritic: 96

Some will score high because it's GTA but like another poster said, some will also score low because it's GTA and they want the traffic

CSliVos.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Dries

Regarding the PS3 version, does anyone know if the drive button will be R1 or R2? What was it in GTA 4?

I also heard some rumour that there will be some kind of cruise control for vehicles a la the horses in RDR (hold A for the desired speed). Is this true? Maybe answer this in spoiler tags to be sure.

And another thing: is the default movement to walk, just like in GTA IV? You know what I mean right, is this known?

Edit: did someone post a pic of the loading screen? I saw it in the corner of my eye and looked quickly away... Isn't that spoilerious as shit? If so, it may be time to bail the thread :-/ (still would like my questions answered though :D)

So, can anyone explain to me the logic of releasing this game, one of the most anticipated games of this generation, on a Tuesday? I could have possibly understood a Thursday release, since the weekend's getting close. But Tuesday, really?

It just seems to be a huge troll to people with job/college responsibilities.

So, can anyone explain to me the logic of releasing this game, one of the most anticipated games of this generation, on a Tuesday? I could have possibly understood a Thursday release, since the weekend's getting close. But Tuesday, really?

It just seems to be a huge troll to people with job/college responsibilities.

It's just the standard game day release for the US, so they decided to launch it in Europe on that day as well.

TheDanger

Banned
Edit: did someone post a pic of the loading screen? I saw it in the corner of my eye and looked quickly away... Isn't that spoilerious as shit? If so, it may be time to bail the thread :-/ (still would like my questions answered though :D)

What in the hell is a spoiler about a game installing screen with a dude on a jet ski?

Twinduct

Man almost had a small heart attack!
Received this email from the company I ordered from.

Subject: Embargo date change
** This a placeholder template ** Dear [name], The embargo date on the the product 'Grand Theft Auto 5 (GTA V)' belonging to order '100016300**' has changed to ${ctx.format(${ctx.futureAvailableDate})}.

Looking online, it seems it'll only arrive around the 17th.

Card Boy

Banned

I just got dumber.

nick nacc

Banned
I will ignore all these "leak" pics. Goddamn take a video of you playing. It so obvious it's not real if its anything but video of you playing,

Holy moly this thread is motoring.

So which site is gonna be the first to post a non-10/10 score?

Polygon?

Edge?

What is this fascination with sites that won't give the game a perfect score? As if GTA is owed 10s and any heathen who dare say different is to be stoned.

For a forum constantly berating games journalism and criticism, you guys sure do care a lot about what they have to say.

Anyone who is predicting that GTAV will get a metacritic score less than 95 is crazy. This is GTA we are talking about and this iteration will be Rockstar's Magnum opus.

Twinduct

Embargo change date? hm... release put forward? :eek:

:( probably not

Imagined the same, well mostly hoped it meant I'll get it on Monday.
But the email looks like an unskinned mail template that's tied to their system. It also looks broken as hell.

I emailed them to ask what this means, but I assume it was suppose to be an internal call from the system with the stock change.

Maybe they'll send it earlier for the free QA!

Sickbean

What is this fascination with sites that won't give the game a perfect score? As if GTA is owed 10s and any heathen who dare say different is to be stoned.

For a forum constantly berating games journalism and criticism, you guys sure do care a lot about what they have to say.

The point is that I don't think it is owed perfect 10s just by virtue of being GTA - yet that's pretty much what happened with GTA4, which managed to blind nearly all critics to it's failings.

Sickbean

So for clarification, if I buy this from the PSN store (EU), I'll be able to pre-load some time over the weekend, then it will unlock at 1am on Tuesday?

The point is that I don't think it is owed perfect 10s just by virtue of being GTA - yet that's pretty much what happened with GTA4, which managed to blind nearly all critics to it's failings.

In their defense I can say that with GTAIV, journalists were able to try the game just for two/three days, and in their offices.

Okay, my mistake, but in end why does anyone care? The reaction towards opinionated previews, reviews, and discussion among games journalists and critics has largely soured for a lot of people on NeoGAF, but the interest in, and subsequent fervor relating to those very same pieces are at an all time high. Just look at any review thread for any highly anticipated game, the criticism of previews (case in point: IGN with GTA), the Doritos Pope stuff, many high profile games getting backlash for high reviews months later, etc. etc. Why does everyone hype up and go crazy over this stuff when so many are in agreement that they're terrible, or the reviewers are terrible players, or that they're paid off, or whatever.

The only time reviews bother me is when there's a clear misunderstanding of mechanics, unfair comparisons to other games, or a general lack of understanding of what the game is trying to be. All of that made more annoying when players and demos have shown to be more capable at detailing and showing the game off. Aside from those, who cares, honestly. There will be 7s and 8s for GTAV, and some of them will be purely for the hits. There will be an incredible number of 9s and 10s on the other hand, and some of those will be purely from the hype. In the end, who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom