• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

I guess it's too premature to be talking lobbies/servers being hosted for NeoGAF members only, right?

That would be nice.

Sickbean

Okay, my mistake, but in end why does anyone care? The reaction towards opinionated previews, reviews, and discussion among games journalists and critics has largely soured for a lot of people on NeoGAF, but the interest in, and subsequent fervor relating to those very same pieces are at an all time high. Just look at any review thread for any highly anticipated game, the criticism of previews (case in point: IGN with GTA), the Doritos Pope stuff, many high profile games getting backlash for high reviews months later, etc. etc. Why does everyone hype up and go crazy over this stuff when so many are in agreement that they're terrible, or the reviewers are terrible players, or that they're paid off, or whatever.

The only time reviews bother me is when there's a clear misunderstanding of mechanics, unfair comparisons to other games, or a general lack of understanding of what the game is trying to be. All of that made more annoying when players and demos have shown to be more capable at detailing and showing the game off. Aside from those, who cares, honestly. There will be 7s and 8s for GTAV, and some of them will be purely for the hits. There will be an incredible number of 9s and 10s on the other hand, and some of those will be purely from the hype. In the end, who cares.

Whilst I completely understand your argument of why we shouldn't care about this stuff, ultimately I do care.

The reason I care is that Games are an art/entertainment for that I really love and care about, and that I think are still really struggling for legitimacy as compared to films and music. Poor quality journalism only makes this worse.

Anyway, this is sidetracking - back to the hype train. Do I take a day off work GAF? I've only got a few days left to take this year but I honestly can't think of anything better to do with them. My wife wouldn't be too happy but what she doesn't know won't hurt her right????

Do we have news about the review embargo? Ryan from IGN said there will be news very soon yesterday.

IGN will probably get a exclusive review like they did with 4.

So maybe they can upload on Sunday and I would guess everyone else will be embargoed until Monday or Tuesday.

Hanmik

Do we have news about the review embargo? Ryan from IGN said there will be news very soon yesterday.

Only the big sites. IGN, gametrailers, GameInformer Etc. Will have a review before the game hits stores.. Smaller sites only get the game the same day as it hits the stores.. So you need to trust the "big" sites to have an open mind with their reviews. But knowing rockstar i'm sure these sites have to play and review the game under special conditions.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Whilst I completely understand your argument of why we shouldn't care about this stuff, ultimately I do care.

The reason I care is that Games are an art/entertainment for that I really love and care about, and that I think are still really struggling for legitimacy as compared to films and music. Poor quality journalism only makes this worse.

I wouldn't say games are "struggling", as such. It's still a relatively young medium in comparison. Given a long enough time line etc.

But we can install the play dvd also, right?

Don't see why not.

Sickbean

IGN will probably get a exclusive review like they did with 4.

So maybe they can upload on Sunday and I would guess everyone else will be embargoed until Monday or Tuesday.

What possible benefit do embargoes serve with games like this which are pretty much guaranteed high scores?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Embargos still are a hype factor, get even more word of mouth flowing at the critical right before release period to sway people on the edge still. Otherwise you may have reviews trickle in weeks ahead of time and the game loses public mainstay. That sort of happened with Wonderful 101, does it feel like that game launches in the US in 4 days? Not really.

Okay, my mistake, but in end why does anyone care? The reaction towards opinionated previews, reviews, and discussion among games journalists and critics has largely soured for a lot of people on NeoGAF, but the interest in, and subsequent fervor relating to those very same pieces are at an all time high. Just look at any review thread for any highly anticipated game, the criticism of previews (case in point: IGN with GTA), the Doritos Pope stuff, many high profile games getting backlash for high reviews months later, etc. etc. Why does everyone hype up and go crazy over this stuff when so many are in agreement that they're terrible, or the reviewers are terrible players, or that they're paid off, or whatever.

The only time reviews bother me is when there's a clear misunderstanding of mechanics, unfair comparisons to other games, or a general lack of understanding of what the game is trying to be. All of that made more annoying when players and demos have shown to be more capable at detailing and showing the game off. Aside from those, who cares, honestly. There will be 7s and 8s for GTAV, and some of them will be purely for the hits. There will be an incredible number of 9s and 10s on the other hand, and some of those will be purely from the hype. In the end, who cares.

Not to mention many of the people who jump on the wagon to make fun of the Dorito's Pope are also overlapping a lot with the ones who have meltdowns over an 8(UC3 thread makes me wince to read). Death threats and legitimate anger fume out of people who haven't even experienced a second of the game, just crazy to me.

I will give partial credit to the whole IV fiasco in that yeah, they were definitely strapped for time and even as someone who is a frequent critic of that game even I was starstruck at first. But it's up to them to include shit like that in the text, talk about how the review setup was, or some sort of footnote stating that the game itself wasn't completed by them yet. The deeply ingrained mechanical issues are so incredibly obvious to see in IV before you are done with it, and to see it now as the highest rated game of all time is just...ugh. Though I guess it's still behind OoT, it just doesn't seem to show up on the list anymore for some reason.

Sickbean

I...I think the thread was less than 20 pages when I went to bed......

Slow down GAF, you'll burn out on the hype!

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Right now the pre-load should start on the 15th for anyone who pre-ordered via PSN.

Actually, on PSN, at least in the U.S., in the description, it tells you that you can begin the download after 12:01A.M. On the 17th. No preload mentioned.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Dang it's almost 5:30AM and I'm still playing Amnesia and watching 30 Rock. I kinda wanna beat this game in one sitting.

That said, I can't wait to get toasted as fuck and play GTA5. Going to be so much fun. Gonna get some take out, get loaded, and play that game until my eyes bleed.

I preordered the game on Amazon.co.uk from Italy and my expected delivery date is between 19 and 24 September. I did it because prices in Italy are stupidly high as usual (70 euro) and the few online shops that actually offered a better deal wouldn't bother to dispatch a game a few days earlier to get it delivered by the release date, but I'm starting to regret it:/

The hardest days are gonna be the ones between the release date and the day I'm gonna finally lay my hands on this thing, when everyone is gonna be playing it and I will be stuck in my self-imposed media blackout, avoiding any video and barely reading impressions.

Hold me GAF :/

Denzar

Do I take a day off work GAF? I've only got a few days left to take this year but I honestly can't think of anything better to do with them. My wife wouldn't be too happy but what she doesn't know won't hurt her right????

Take that day off, man! It feels great to know you've got the entire day to yourself . You can play that game you've been waiting for since forever in your crusty underwear on your stinky couch. Feelsgoodman.jpg

That said, I can't wait to get toasted as fuck and play GTA5. Going to be so much fun. Gonna get some take out, get loaded, and play that game until my eyes bleed.

HEAR HEAR

Dabanton

What possible benefit do embargoes serve with games like this which are pretty much guaranteed high scores?

Because when the game comes out a whole mass of high score reviews will hit and people who weren't really going to get the game find themselves caught up in the hype.

I can only imagine what FB and Twitter and going to be like that day. People will feel they are seriously missing out by not having the game.

I just bought Amazon Prime and got $150 worth of books for school and preordered GTA 5 for my PS3 :) Didn't think I would be doing that, but hell, if I don't like it/can't play it I can always sell it for ~$50

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
120 hours and the game will be mine. Good thing I have a busy week so hopefully it should go past quick.

I'm more excited for GTA 5 than my whole next gen order in November.

man, my PS3 is so fucking noisy. i can barely hear any of the music while playing The Last of Us, and i'm using headphones ffs. that thing seriously sounds like it's going to take off into the stratosphere. ridiculous really, i'm pretty sure it wakes up my neighbors too.

so, what to do with GTAV? if i buy the digital version, it won't stress out the blu-ray drive, so the PS3 should run somewhat cooler, right? but i wan't the physical copy, gotta have the box you know. is it like GTAIV in that you only install a small chunk of the game, and the rest it reads from the disc? or is there any chance of installing the whole game from the physical disc? what should i do? i can't play GTAV if i can't hear the pedestrians, all the ambient noises etc.. or hear the music clearly.

man, my PS3 is so fucking noisy. i can barely hear any of the music while playing The Last of Us, and i'm using headphones ffs. that thing seriously sounds like it's going to take off into the stratosphere. ridiculous really, i'm pretty sure it wakes up my neighbors too.

so, what to do with GTAV? if i buy the digital version, it won't stress out the blu-ray drive, so the PS3 should run somewhat cooler, right? but i wan't the physical copy, gotta have the box you know. is it like GTAIV in that you only install a small chunk of the game, and the rest it reads from the disc? or is there any chance of installing the whole game from the physical disc? what should i do? i can't play GTAV if i can't hear the pedestrians, all the ambient noises etc.. or hear the music clearly.
Install is only 8 GB on Ps3 so I'd guess it's definitely not the whole game.

Still I find it hard to believe you can't hear anything with your headphones on. I mean what the hell. Maybe get those noise-cancelling headphones?

You have a fat ps3? At fan speed x3 this thing sound like an helicopter

Yeah, my fat PS3 can get pretty noisy when things heat up. I fear for GTAV, I hope my good old launch PS3 survives.

Where you using disc version or running it off the hard drive?
My PS3 remains silent when running games off the hard drive, but with TLOU it kicked into max speed for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom