• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a game goes this far above and beyond all of its peers, a 10/10 is totally justified.
At first glance GTA IV did this. Looking back, there are a lot of valid criticisms.
Everything R* has done since GTA IV has worked towards fixing those problems.

Bring on the 10/10s

Er, what? What exactly is this game doing that's so above and beyond? It looks mechanically strong and has a lot of content. If it's good then it deserves 9s and 10s on that alone, because that's really all it needs. But it's ultimately a revision of a very familiar formula.

Again I'll say ... for the people who feel the need to prove that they have the game by taking a dozen pictures of their TV screen with GTAV loaded on the title screen on XBL ... why can't they just launch the game and take a 30 second video using the same camera of them walking around.

Because they don't have the game and it's easier to photoshop a loading screen or print a box art cover then a gameplay section. And the people who do have the game aren't concerned with letting everyone know.

Kalamari

Gaming veterans should know that game reviews are often biased, especially for mega releases like GTA V. Perfect scores are meaningless.

The only reviews I am waiting for are the ones that come a month after release, when GAF is able to objectively critique the title.

Er, what? What exactly is this game doing that's so above and beyond? It looks mechanically strong and has a lot of content. If it's good then it deserves 9s and 10s on that alone, because that's really all it needs. But it's ultimately a revision of a very familiar formula.

I'd say that the three protagonist part is pretty above and beyond anything we have seen thus far. Does that alone warrant anything but a 10/10? Of course not. But there are a bunch of things added and improved that do.

But 10/10's have been pretty much blown out of the window since GTA IV. It made the rating system pretty non-functional.

smr00

Banned
Me too! Hitting the GameStop early, getting my number and then getting cigarettes. It'll be a fun wait!
I debated about doing a midnight launch but i dislike big crowds and after the horrible Halo 4 launch here that was full of just filthy people i really, really don't want to go to another one.

You think i am over exaggerating but the majority of people that showed up looked and smelled awful, there was a group of extremely racist people and it was just a awful, awful experience. Take the worst gamer stereotypes, add a dash of XBLA kid stereotypes and a sprinkle of tennessee stereotypes and that is what i had to deal with. It made me feel ashamed to be a "gamer" and to live in this city.

I guess i could just do the anti-social thing and just sit in my car till like 12:05.

dreamfall

Gaming veterans should know that game reviews are often biased, especially for mega releases like GTA V. Perfect scores are meaningless.

The only reviews I am waiting for are the ones that come a month after release, when GAF is able to objectively critique the title.

The GAF backlash seems inevitable, much like GTA IV.

Some of it will be justified, and some criticisms will scream "this is the worst game I've ever played ever" or "Oscar quality" etc.

It happens.

IMACOMPUTA

The meticulous care that goes in to everything about the game.
It's all in the details. The amount of licensed music, the detail and size of the map. The world they create, the depth of the multiplayer, the physics engine, the graphics, the shooting mechanics, etc.
I''m not saying they've nailed all of these aspects.
I'm saying if they do (and from what we've seen and heard it is possible) that the game might deserve a 10/10.

Smokes confirmed!

At my place, the lineup is usually at least 40 deep for any title. I'm thinking this will be even crazier- much worse.
For every Rockstar title, I pay it off and they put a number on the receipt. I get there early, get that number, and then come back around 11 to appreciate the gaming camaraderie and chain smoke in anticipation.

Ritualistic healing to contain that last hour of hype!

Interesting. ill get there 4 hours early. Theres lots of shopping and food around our store. Im sure with a release this big they will do what you say and number receipts.

No cigs for me. Some Wine black n milds tho :D

kris.

Banned
The GAF backlash seems inevitable, much like GTA IV.

Some of it will be justified, and some criticisms will scream "this is the worst game I've ever played ever" or "Oscar quality" etc.

It happens.

That's why I'm going to avoid any and all GTAV threads around a week after it's released. So much hyperbole will be thrown around and that shit is so annoying.

it'll be the best game ever though so

Gaz_RB

Interesting. ill get there 4 hours early. Theres lots of shopping and food around our store. Im sure with a release this big they will do what you say and number receipts.

No cigs for me. Some Wine black n milds tho :D

I live in Montana at the moment, so midnight launches are pretty hassle free here, luckily

Gonna be nabbing some Swisher Sweets for release!

dreamfall

I debated about doing a midnight launch but i dislike big crowds and after the horrible Halo 4 launch here that was full of just filthy people i really, really don't want to go to another one.

You think i am over exaggerating but the majority of people that showed up looked and smelled awful, there was a group of extremely racist people and it was just a awful, awful experience. Take the worst gamer stereotypes, add a dash of XBLA kid stereotypes and a sprinkle of tennessee stereotypes and that is what i had to deal with. It made me feel ashamed to be a "gamer" and to live in this city.

I guess i could just do the anti-social thing and just sit in my car till like 12:05.

I understand your pain. Completely, and utterly.

I was out for the Gears of War 3 launch, and the employees at the place knew that I was excited about Lollipop Chainsaw and gave me some swag; a pink styrofoam chainsaw and some Juliet picture. I ended up being 5th in the line, and got called all types of homophobic shit the entire night by other "gamers" as they went to the back of the line. Could really care less though- it was about getting there early, and just being hyped to play the game. I usually roll with others- the solo missions are never fun when it's a throng of people just as eager to play the game as you are.

Everyone gets antsy- but then there are some launches that you never forget. Red Dead Redemption, MGS IV- those are memories I'll never forget. Waiting for a game you've waited years for, unwrapping the plastic on the ride home and just feeling like you were about to get lost in digital bliss!

Gurrry

For those of you going to midnight launch without a pre-order...

Ive had far more success going to wal-mart and getting it at midnight than I have waiting in that stupid gamestop line.

First of all, game-stop is really lame and they make you stand outside until 12. Atleast in wal-mart you can dick around inside and wait for them to bring the game out.

Its also been a much faster experience for me at wal-mart. Id be leaving the store with the game in hand and on my way out Id still see people standing outside in the line at gamestop.

Just an FYI

BraXzy

Ugh.. I've been trying to hold out so I can wait for a next gen/PC release, but who knows when that will be, and the temptation is too stronk to just get it now. Nooowwwww!

So I think tomorrow if there are any left, I;m gonna pre-order the special edition cuz I love me some metal cases!

smr00

Banned
I understand your pain. Completely, and utterly.

I was out for the Gears of War 3 launch, and the employees at the place knew that I was excited about Lollipop Chainsaw and gave me some swag; a pink styrofoam chainsaw and some Juliet picture. I ended up being 5th in the line, and got called all types of homophobic shit the entire night by other gamers as they went to the back of the line. Could really care less though- it was about getting there early, and just being hyped to play the game. I usually roll with others- the solo missions are never fun when it's a throng of people just as eager to play the game as you are.

Everyone gets antsy- but then there are some launches that you never forget. Red Dead Redemption, MGS IV- those are memories I'll never forget. Waiting for a game you've waited years for, unwrapping the plastic on the ride home and just feeling like you were about to get lost in digital bliss!
The best midnight launch oddly enough was for World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. Everyone there was extremely friendly but i have just had so many shitty experiences.

Yeah, if i had friends that actually played games other than Madden/NCAA/COD i would probably go but right now i don't know anyone who would want to. I could just throw some earbuds in and ignore the people.

Ive had far more success going to wal-mart and getting it at midnight than I have waiting in that stupid gamestop line.

First of all, game-stop is really lame and they make you stand outside until 12. Atleast in wal-mart you can dick around inside and wait for them to bring the game out.

Its also been a much faster experience for me at wal-mart. Id be leaving the store with the game in hand and on my way out Id still see people standing outside in the line at gamestop.

Just an FYI
Do what i do.

Show up at like 9ish and get your receipt tagged with the marker (or that's what they do here) go home or go to a movie or something and head back there at like 11:45-11:50 and just sit in your car listening to some music till 12:05-12:10 and just walk in. Once it hits 12:00 the line moves extremely fast (or at least it does here because they have like 2-3 lines. 1 for standard, 1 for CE etc). That's what i will probably end up doing if they don't allow us to go inside. Seeing as the only place doing it here is the one in the mall it means they will make a big deal out it and have TVs hooked up, pizza etc. The Halo 4 launch, aside from the racist filthy assholes was insane. They had a bunch of TVs and 360s hooked up, pizza, a DJ etc.

If it's a stand alone store outside of the mall they always make you wait outside (or here they do)

kris.

Banned

Just an FYI

thisthisthis

Most people around here (where I live, not GAF) go to GameStop and are woefully unaware that Wal-Mart has the game at midnight as well and that it's practically empty aside from the usual creepy Wal-Mart people. It's so much faster. Plus I fucking loathe GameStop with a fiery burning passion.
And they get some really weird people for their releases...

Andrew.

Banned

Just an FYI

Id rather surround myself with a bunch of neighborhood geeks than my neighborhood Walmart white trash though....

antitrop

I had a fantastic experience attending the midnight launch of Final Fantasy XIII at my GameStop.

It was in a shopping mall. We played BlazBlue, there was tons of free pizza and soda, the hot female manager was cosplaying as Lightning, Advent Children was playing on BluRay, and we got in a nerf gun fight in the mall after hours.

It was 100x better than Final Fantasy XIII.

dreamfall

The best midnight launch oddly enough was for World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. Everyone there was extremely friendly but i have just had so many shitty experiences.

Yeah, if i had friends that actually played games other than Madden/NCAA/COD i would probably go but right now i don't know anyone who would want to. I could just throw some earbuds in and ignore the people.

That's what I would do! Get some good music, take them off if people are friendly or just ignore the rest.

The feeling of getting your copy, knowing you can play at your own leisure- nothing is better!

tookhster

I preordered my CE from the Rockstar Warehouse when it was announced, and I'm starting to doubt it's going to come in on time, if they really are shipping it on the 16th.

Anyone else order from Rockstar?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Id rather surround myself with a bunch of neighborhood geeks than my neighborhood Walmart white trash though....

I've been to one midnight release, the borderlands 2 midnight release at gamestop, I happened to be up and figured why not? It's the one time in my entire life I've been embarrassed to be a gamer. My wife and I went and I've never smelled such a terrible place in my entire life or seen so many ungroomed people. I doubt walmart is worse.

Edit : as I was posting this I remembered picking up a 360 at release from ... I can't remember, so it couldn't have been all that bad.

J4g3r

Any UK GAFers still about?

Would it be worth me going to a 24 hour Tesco at midnight to try and pick up GTAV?

They've been very unreliable (in store) with new releases in the past from my experience.

smr00

Banned
That's what I would do! Get some good music, take them off if people are friendly or just ignore the rest.

The feeling of getting your copy, knowing you can play at your own leisure- nothing is better!
Guess i can cancel my Amazon order and do it.

I like the idea of not having to wait on Amazon/UPS to get me my copy till like 6pm or spending that game time on going out and getting it day of release. Grab it at midnight, play for a few hours and sleep. Wake up, coffee, eat and play all day because procrastination is for real men. Just don't tell my employees i am taking the day off to play GTA V.

iNvid02

Any UK GAFers still about?

Would it be worth me going to a 24 hour Tesco at midnight to try and pick up GTAV?

They've been very unreliable (in store) with new releases in the past from my experience.

game stores across the country having midnight launches

Gaz_RB

Yo, that Burger King french fry burger for $1 is totally legit. I got 2 of them, some onion rings, a 3pc buffalo wings and it was faaaaaantastic.

Man I tried playing The Lost and the Damned after The Ballad of Gay Tony and I could not get into it, let me know how you like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom