• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Mortal Kombat Stress Test DF video confirms its native 4k 60 fps on the xsx. What a waste of the GPU.

Still, the backgrounds and lighting look really good compared to say Tekken and SF6. Both of which also target native 4k.

Also, the game is on UE4. So they finally upgraded their UE3 engine to UE4 in 2023. UE4 came out 10 years ago. Literally a decade behind in tech.

It's a shame because I remember these fighting games used to set graphics benchmarks along with racing games back in the day. I remember Tekken and Dead or Alive really pushing insane models when action adventure games struggled to get enough polygons on a character model in a third person game.

20fucking23 and the "cinematics" are still in 30fps? Did they fucking learn nothing? Fuck!

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I only took one gameplay screenshot of that place, but I will go back and take more. I spent a while just walking around in that area taking in the visuals. Something I hardly ever do nowadays. Took another screenshot during a cutscene where they have an isometric view of a bridge that looked amazing. Character model of Clive looks insane at times. Also added a forspoken screenshot for reference.

FzpKNe4XwAYTD8H

FzpKND-WYAEsj4Y

FzpKNxyXsAA771p

FzpKOKUXwAE-Zp1
FFXVI is the most next-gen looking console game since Ratchet and Clank. Take a look at the video showing the bounce lighting on the stone and how it changes color based on fluctuating overcast. The most impressive screenshots tend to be the most spoilery so we have to wait a while. This game runs pretty long.

tftEpW8.jpg

MWzwJrP.jpg
CeRtfyc.jpg

Im really not seeing anything current gen worthy here tbh. Also SlimySnake SlimySnake anything that gets compared to Forespoken looks next gen lol. Idk man im happy for you guys that you like the visuals and stuff but really not even 1 frame of this game impressed me yet till now. Im not saying it looks bad or anything but im like nah just looks ok. The level of detail, iq, lighting, textures and all the other effects are really behind to games that have been discussed here. And thats all based on your guys shots and the DF footage i saw last week. I just don't get the praise for this games visuals.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Im really not seeing anything current gen worthy here tbh. Also SlimySnake SlimySnake anything that gets compared to Forespoken looks next gen lol. Idk man im happy for you guys that you like the visuals and stuff but really not even 1 frame of this game impressed me yet till now. Im not saying it looks bad or anything but im like nah just looks ok. The level of detail, iq, lighting, textures and all the other effects are really behind to games that have been discussed here. And thats all based on your guys shots and the DF footage i saw last week. I just don't get the praise for this games visuals.
This gen has disappointed to the point where even the people in this thread are forcing themselves to see games as next gen when they truly aren't. Im happy for them, but it hasn't worked for me yet lol.
If you told me those faces looked better than RDR 2, TLOU 2 or Death Stranding i'd have to question you. The gap is simply not there.

Last edited:

Represent.

Like what are we really doing here? Someone explain to me where the next gen factor is? Show me what you see!?!?!

Show this comparison to 10 people and 10 of them won't be able to tell you which one is 3 years old, and which came out this week.

MWzwJrP.jpg

XhAGLXr.jpeg

tftEpW8.jpg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Yet this is next gen?

On a machine 10x more powerful?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I only took one gameplay screenshot of that place, but I will go back and take more. I spent a while just walking around in that area taking in the visuals. Something I hardly ever do nowadays. Took another screenshot during a cutscene where they have an isometric view of a bridge that looked amazing. Character model of Clive looks insane at times. Also added a forspoken screenshot for reference.

FzpKNe4XwAYTD8H

FzpKND-WYAEsj4Y

FzpKNxyXsAA771p

FzpKOKUXwAE-Zp1
I see you posted a rather unflattering screenshot of forspoken. Demo from looks of it since it's so overexposed. That demo was really so bad.
My duty is to intervene. I have some shots of that biome by the way.
But yeah... ff16 is miles better looking. Some stuff in Forspoken looks good but not in the same way

kKra2p2.jpg

phN6TDf.jpg

Gx7SMFV.jpg

cWw6QI4.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Like what are we really doing here? Someone explain to me where the next gen factor is? Show me what you see!?!?!

Show this comparison to 10 people and 10 of them won't be able to tell you which one is 3 years old, and which came out this week.

MWzwJrP.jpg

XhAGLXr.jpeg

tftEpW8.jpg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Yet this is next gen?

TLOU2 is a game that will never age. These graphics cannot be beaten. Tlou2 people look more real than real people lol.
We are essentially comparing art styles in my opinion.

FF16 got a lot of characters. Some look a bit better:
They even got Abby in there !
xBQqOFb.jpg

/s I might get some more shots of my ps5 tomorrow or later. Some characters look incredible and others look like ps3 npcs.
I only got shots from first few hours copied to my pc and these look pretty good. Some later characters can look fantastic but I think it's a spoiler

mmkrA95.jpg

oLJOAcq.jpg

KHFWHJP.jpg

Alex11

The asset quality looks very high in these shots. This is incredible and i really can't ask for much else in terms of graphics. Easily best visuals to date. What are your specs and how well does it run?
Yeah, as I previously said, maybe wrong choice of words, some assets are lower quality than others, which is normal and it wasn't meant as a criticism.

I have a mediocre PC, R 5600x, 16Gb ram and an RTX 4070 and IMO it runs pretty well I guess, considering.
I mean, playing at 1440p with everything maxed (only thing off, lens flares, chromatic ab. and film grain, those for me are a plague and can fuck off into oblivion) with path tracing on, but of course with DLSS on quality and frame generation, and most of the time it stays at 60fps, can go up to 70s or down to 50s.

Last edited:
I wish we could come to a gentleman’s agreement not to post screenshots of games with spoilers (as in cutscenes with subtitles) for the first month of a big games release.

Whitecrow

Banned
It's still technically the best looking game on any platform. Burning shores' clouds are indeed a wow moment. But yes, all you have to do is go back and start playing it again and its shortcomings becoming obvious as you can see below.

You can find ugly screenshots of any game, but what these screenshots do is point out several sacrifices they had to make in order to get this game running on PS4.

- underwhelming lighting in many areas
- low level of detail on rocks and stones, not just mountains in the distance. see first screenshot.
- some really bad looking grass in several areas. very odd considering foliage rendering is the game's strong suit
- simply poor interiors
- poor LODs in the distance. Flying exposes just how bad some trees look from the distance especially palm trees.
- just a general lack of object density. you wont notice it because they do such a good job with the cinematography but a lot of the times they have the same foliage, textures and other objects repeating. i get that its supposed to be procedurally generated but Burning Shores is the first time i picked up on how simple the environments are in Horizon. At first I thought it was too much detail that was giving me an eye sore, but its actually the opposite. everything blends in because there isnt enough differentiating between different trees, foliage, and other world objects.

FUTDihaWYAA4yj3

FMOkGR-XMAALB2c

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

This is one of the few games where I took more ugly screenshots than good screenshots. It's surprisingly inconsistent.
Its not.

The game is all geometry style and good textures, but lighting sucks big time.

Its sad that they add so much fog to hide things and avoid lod and shadow issues up and people cant see it.

Robbinhood

Banned
It's so sad that the best looking games get the most criticism and dogpiling. Meanwhile other big games that look downright bad but should be competing for the top spots don't even get mentioned. Looking at Halo Infinite and Elden Ring, etc.

MWzwJrP.jpg

XhAGLXr.jpeg

tftEpW8.jpg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Yet this is next gen?

You keep showing cinematic scenes as "screenshots". Post a real time gameplay screenshot of Ellie and then lets talk. She looks nothing like the above screenshots, not as detailed at all. Same as they did for Uncharted 4 reveal, Drake is not at all as detailed or has humane real life characteristics in the actual gameplay:

BwCXPap.jpg
yz0ucBW.jpg

Last edited:

Represent.

You keep showing cinematic scenes as "screenshots". Post a real time gameplay screenshot of Ellie and then lets talk. She looks nothing like the above screenshots, not as detailed at all. Same as they did for Uncharted 4 reveal, Drake is not at all as detailed or has humane real life characteristics in the actual gameplay:

BwCXPap.jpg
yz0ucBW.jpg
What? Those screens were cutscene vs cutscene... FF16 cutscenes vs TLOU2. Its fair game.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Also, the game is on UE4. So they finally upgraded their UE3 engine to UE4 in 2023. UE4 came out 10 years ago. Literally a decade behind in tech.

Come on now, are we really judging software by its middleware version number?

At this level of professional production, so much is customized and rewritten that is hardly the same tech base. (They even call their tools "NetherRealm Studios technology" rather than cite an engine in the press release.) Tech talks have gone into how far MK tech forks away from UE (MK9 specifically was a weird technical challenge to get clean, locked 60fps in a game outside of the Unreal Engine's forte.)

At some point, your underlying base is worth modernizing at the risk of all the custom software spaghetti you've stacked up for it over the years. (And they would have to do their own port for the UE3 base again since these new consoles aren't licensed for the old version, really even the PS4 gen really didn't like it. ) Maybe some nice new qualities come with it, if the team hadn't already built its own solutions for whatever feature this higher version added (that's assuming also that the off-the-shelf versions of these features are worth adding to the new game, that they're not so generalized and slow that you don't rip them out and make your own solutions for your AAA production...) However, the "upgrade" in those bulletpointed features of the 'new' engine is unlikely to be the reason why you move up. At this level, what you gain instead is foundational, that it's more dependable and compatible with current hardware, that new team members will feel comfortable in the interface, that there are more plug-ins and providers making compatible software pieces for it.

If it was just graphics and gameplay improvements that NetherRealm was working into new MKs, they could have stayed on UE3 for who knows how long, because they already know how to rip that thing down to the studs and build what they want to on top of it.

The engine version matters where it matters (UE5 is allowing some cool stuff which would be difficult to produce independently, even for an experienced major studio, ) but it's not what makes the game what it is.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah i did say that i don’t think it’s next Gen. Its just better than games I’ve played last Gen. Not a whole gen better but definitely a step up especially in that area.

There is just something really nice about the lighting in that area. Foliage too. FSR tries its best to ruin it and there is some LOD pop-in, but overall it looks very nice. Took some videos just now. ignore the washed out look. The PS5 capture has trouble capturing HDR. Game looks super green and colorful ingame.

Took some more screenshots to compare to some of my TLOU2 screenshots.

Fzrb431WAAE3icy

Fzrb5RfXwAA3jZK

Fzrb5qPXsAMQzrJ

Fzrb5_HWYAIyCdi

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I see you posted a rather unflattering screenshot of forspoken. Demo from looks of it since it's so overexposed. That demo was really so bad.
My duty is to intervene. I have some shots of that biome by the way.
But yeah... ff16 is miles better looking. Some stuff in Forspoken looks good but not in the same way

kKra2p2.jpg

phN6TDf.jpg

Gx7SMFV.jpg

cWw6QI4.jpg
Yeah thats from the demo. I still dont think those new screenshots look that good. just look at how they completely fog out anything in the distance.

Come on now, are we really judging software by its middleware version number?

At this level of professional production, so much is customized and rewritten that is hardly the same tech base. (They even call their tools "NetherRealm Studios technology" rather than cite an engine in the press release.) Tech talks have gone into how far MK tech forks away from UE (MK9 specifically was a weird technical challenge to get clean, locked 60fps in a game outside of the Unreal Engine's forte.)

At some point, your underlying base is worth modernizing at the risk of all the custom software spaghetti you've stacked up for it over the years. (And they would have to do their own port for the UE3 base again since these new consoles aren't licensed for the old version, really even the PS4 gen really didn't like it. ) Maybe some nice new qualities come with it, if the team hadn't already built its own solutions for whatever feature this higher version added (that's assuming also that the off-the-shelf versions of these features are worth adding to the new game, that they're not so generalized and slow that you don't rip them out and make your own solutions for your AAA production...) However, the "upgrade" in those bulletpointed features of the 'new' engine is unlikely to be the reason why you move up. At this level, what you gain instead is foundational, that it's more dependable and compatible with current hardware, that new team members will feel comfortable in the interface, that there are more plug-ins and providers making compatible software pieces for it.

If it was just graphics and gameplay improvements that NetherRealm was working into new MKs, they could have stayed on UE3 for who knows how long, because they already know how to rip that thing down to the studs and build what they want to on top of it.

The engine version matters where it matters (UE5 is allowing some cool stuff which would be difficult to produce independently, even for an experienced major studio, ) but it's not what makes the game what it is.
We are judging based on how it looks, and by the lack of a generational upgrade. We are then using the fact that they are on a 10 year old engine to make assumptions on its visual quality.

If they were on UE5 using lumens and nanite and it still looked like that then we would not be discussing their engine of choice.

I think its a pretty decent looking game, but wasting the GPU on rendering a native 4k 60 fps image while settling for UE4 is likely the reason why everyone was underwhelmed by the graphics.

This gen has disappointed to the point where even the people in this thread are forcing themselves to see games as next gen when they truly aren't. Im happy for them, but it hasn't worked for me yet lol.
If you told me those faces looked better than RDR 2, TLOU 2 or Death Stranding i'd have to question you. The gap is simply not there.
I never said it looked next gen. I literally said that I dont know if it looks next gen, just that it looks better than last gen games. I have already posted TLOU2 screenshots to show a big gulf in foliage quality and lighting.

Red-Dead-Redemption-2_20181106141638-1oqbj61-1024x576.jpg

LBMEPrm.jpeg

Death-Stranding-PC-DLSS-off-1212x682.jpg

death-stranding-ps4-playstation-4-screenshots-7.large.jpg

RDR2, Death Stranding and TLOU2 are my GOTYs for 2018, 2019 and 2020, so I am not biased but they are showing their age when it comes to some lighting and foliage effects. Thats where FF16 shines. Unfortunately, FF16 doesnt quite nail the interiors, and the villages, but it's definitely doing something with the outdoor lighting and foliage effects. Remember, we are seeing this running with FSR 1.0.

TLOU2 and DS definitely have better character models in cutscenes.

CGNoire

FFXVI is the most next-gen looking console game since Ratchet and Clank. Take a look at the video showing the bounce lighting on the stone and how it changes color based on fluctuating overcast. The most impressive screenshots tend to be the most spoilery so we have to wait a while. This game runs pretty long.

tftEpW8.jpg

MWzwJrP.jpg
CeRtfyc.jpg

Thats direct lighting not bounce lighting.

CGNoire

Yah. Cross gen has gone on so long and our graphical thirst has gotten so great where slowly starting to imagine oasis in the distance.

"There be Next-Gen graphics" we proclaim while pointing with our dryed out withered fingers as we continue to drag ourselves across the desert terrain.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Because cutscenes are part of the game... Its not just about in-game graphics. Real time cutscenes are almost equally as important.
Hard disagree.

While compareing cutscenes to cutescenes is legit... the habit online of using cutscene graphics to showcase what a game is like visually needs to die a terrible death. It is highly misleading when considering the fact that 99% of the time the game looks way worse. Its even getting to be more of a problem lately since the difference between cutscenes and gameplay has only been increasing the last decade to the point where its starting to look straight prerendered in cutscenes.

Last edited:

Alex11

This is a magnificent looking game. Its time TLOU Part 1 gets the respect it deserves. I don't understand why some refuse to see it as one of the heavy hitters this gen. It's inarguably still one of the best looking game out.
Yeah it really is a phenomenal looking game, so rare that anyone's talking about Part 1, always Part 2. Amazing foliage and almost photorealistic interiors most of the time, and what amazed me is how polished it was from start to finish, you really had to go out of your way to find something a bit unflattering.

Y4D5C4u.jpg

qeIFivR.jpg

hJdW8wx.jpg

4fbqswz.jpg

gYnFtx3.jpg

md8DBjn.jpg

mEoH6QV.jpg

NFNhyhT.jpg

Am I wrong? Remember this was released at the time Sony was presenting GT7, HFW, etc. as PS5 exclusive games too.
Uh yes you are. Those games are literally PS4 ports running on PS4 vs a PS5 exclusive.

That’s like saying: I have 2 oranges in my hand, so ergo that apple in your hand is also an orange

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
So this tweet calling out insomniac went viral the other day. 18 million views on twitter. The fact that the guy didnt get ratio'd tells me that most people believe Spiderman isnt a significant leap. Am pretty sure Jstevenson and Insomniac devs roaming twitter have seen this.

I know it's just animations but it's really disappointing they took 5 years to make a sequel and ended up phoning it in. In 5 years, HFW had a massive leap in fidelity, Zelda had a massive leap in gameplay systems and physics, Starfield is a brand new IP different in every way. Avatar too.

Is it really that hard to get that motion matching tech from ND? And if it? Is 5 years not enough to implement it? I was really hoping Sony studios would go all out with that tech. Especially the pre-downgraded one we saw running on the PS4 Pro in 2018.

Tbf zelda utilize a fuckton of stuff from botw, animations, sounds effects, attack animations, dumb enemy ia etc.
The game would have required 10 years if they didn't reused a lot of stuff from botw.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Mortal Kombat Stress Test DF video confirms its native 4k 60 fps on the xsx. What a waste of the GPU.

Still, the backgrounds and lighting look really good compared to say Tekken and SF6. Both of which also target native 4k.

It's a shame because I remember these fighting games used to set graphics benchmarks along with racing games back in the day. I remember Tekken and Dead or Alive really pushing insane models when action adventure games struggled to get enough polygons on a character model in a third person game.

Your 180° on mehkken 8 is a sight to behold.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If we agree that TLOU2/RDR2 had the best character rendering last gen, then the ambient occlusion shown here is next gen.

Prove Eric Andre GIF by Adult Swim
Rdr2 best character rendering? What?

Only arthur is super detailed, the other characters go from ok to downright trash and the somehow stylized look doesn't help, if there is one thing where rdr2 was already meh at release date were the human models...

Also a few contributions to the conversation

- yeah guys I’m sorry I’ve really tried, I’ve been pouring and pouring through gameplay on YouTube in 1080p and 4K and just cannot really see FF16 as some next Gen showcase. I just can’t. It doesn’t look that great. The times I’m impressed it’s a cutscene and I find out later it’s pre rendered

- TLOUP1 is a lazy cash grab and I’m never gonna praise it. It runs on the goddamn steam deck. Do you know what that means? It means a PS4 can run it fine. In fact, a PS4 does run it fine. It’s called TLOU 2. Ergo not next Gen.

- Speaking of PS4, I’m completely disenfranchised with HZ:FW graphics. To the point where the ridiculous amounts of praise it gets here you’d think it was James Cameron’s Avatar running real time on PS5 and I can’t even be impressed by it anymore. Let me explain, I have a PS4 in the living room and a PS5 in the bed room. So just the other day I decided to do some at home tests and WOW what a let down. Side by side HZ2 is literally just a clear clear clear 4K high end ps4 game. That’s it. It’s not some revolution of rendering. It’s highly overrated. The ps5 version is just the ps4 version with minor improvements and 1 major improvement being the removal of the hazy fuzzy blurry ass 900p. Even Aloys character model isn’t that vastly improved. It’s mostly just the peach fuzz… yaaay…

Last edited:
IQ on this game is pure ass but as far as graphics go it looks stunning.

finalfantasyxvi_20230wxiwo.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230yme31.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230xedo2.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230w1do1.png

finalfantasyxvi_202302lfq7.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230nodo3.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230mufwk.png

finalfantasyxvi_202304sisw.png

Kusarigama

Implying that UE4 from 2014 is same as UE4 from 2019/2020(that's when they made the switch and UE5 wasn't out until late 2020) is a massive understatement. And putting it as a decade behind tech is simply wrong.

Whatever tech is under the hood 4yrs later Mortal Kombat 11 is still the prettiest looking fighting game. And Mortal Kombat 1 looks better by a big margin.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Seriously, FF16 looks like a high budget, triple AAA take on soulless asset flip tech demo you find on YouTube. You know what I mean, shit like this:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Thats direct lighting not bounce lighting.

No, the sun casting the light is direct lighting. The more purpleish colors from the stone is bounce light from the direct light source. The stones that remain grayish outside of the direct light is indirect lighting/secondary light bounce.

• LOL
Reactions: amc

Edder1

Have to give it to Final Fantasy 16, it's a unique game, one that manages to look like it's running on PS3, PS4 and PS5. Truly a generational game... It's rarely we see game that can do graphics across 3 generations of consoles. Every time someone posts a screen from the game I'm always surprised how it manages to look like it's running on different hardware compared to previous screenshot posted. This is cross gen taken to a new level.

Last edited:

CGNoire

No, the sun casting the light is direct lighting. The more purpleish colors from the stone is bounce light from the direct light source. The stones that remain grayish outside of the direct light is indirect lighting/secondary light bounce.
I dont know where your seeing this bounce light. The walls arent reflecting anything in that gif. The only visual of note is the awesome moving cloud shadows on the ground and maybe some purple lens flare.

There is a flat ambient light like every game has and they have it set to be the complementary of the skys current color but its not being calculated based on any bounce simulation its evenly distributed across the scene with the only depth in the shadows coming from AO alone.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Thats not bounce light man, this is bounce lighting
You see the green light bounce from the foliage and grass on the wall
Forza-Horizon-5-24-06-2023-20-36-43.jpg

or here the orange light bounce on the rock from the orange plastic floor
Forza-Horizon-5-22-07-2022-21-44-20.jpg

Top Bottom