• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Exactly! Insomniac is the only studio directly pushing next gen tech from the very beginning! RT reflections, RT shadows, streaming tech for fast traversal and insane draw distance. Also pretty safe to assume upgrade to dynamic time of day based on the sun glitch from the gameplay trailer.

All of this and they get shit for it. Why? Because they dare show a slice of gameplay that is still work in progress. Y'all don't deserve Insomniac.

But it's not gonna look better by release ...it was shown only 4 months from release date. Games do not improve that much in that amount of time.

We know why it's not looking next gen anyway. They went wide instead of deep being 2x the size of Spiderman remastered. Seeing how the consoles run the latest new gen games it also makes sense- they didn't rework their engine much, they're using more RT this time, and they've added detail to the city ...it's just ..not enough.

They did such a fantastic job with Ratchet and Miles Morales that the expectations were huge. It's starting to make sense why things are the way they are. VFX Veteren was right. 2x jump in GPU plus bandwidth constraints plus RT capability doesn't leave much headroom for next gen visuals

I don't understand the corridor comparison but no question there are indeed sections that look VERY PS4. Like early ps4 lol. I played through a lot of that yesterday. But like I said I love cinematics and I love large boss fights and setpieces. And these moments wipe the floor with any other current gen title to date. But some people don't like or value cinematics and for those folks I wouldn't recommend.

Once you begin to stack up your abilities you realize how much greater GoW combat could/should have been. The system is far deeper and flashier than GoW. Once the game gets going you can't win by button mashing. At the very least, you won't have nearly as much fun. I do wish the AI for lower level enemies was better though. Apparently it gets ramped up in NG+

I think FF16 looks great (as in its in the top 5 best looking games) even outside of those cutscenes but only in Fidelity mode of course. It's stunning. That forest area in the beginning was impressive. The motion blur and camera tho its killing me

Msamy

After seeing sony santa monica programmer's linkedin profiles, i am pretty sure their next game will have amazing visuals

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
2x jump in GPU plus bandwidth constraints plus RT capability doesn't leave much headroom for next gen visuals
2x? It's 5x in terms of raw tflops, and 8x if you count the IPC gains from GCN1.1 to Polaris to RDNA.

I agree on RT which is way more GPU hungry than standard rasterization, but there is enough GPU horsepower here for 1440p 30 fps next gen visuals.

I am not sure why we are counting mid gen consoles as if ANY game last gen used the PS4 Pro and X1X as the lowest common denominator. Especially when the PS4 and X1 are still used as the base hardware with the PS5 and XSX already out. The XSX is actually 9x more powerful in raw tflops terms, and over 14x more powerful. Thats a way bigger upgrade than what we got from the 360 to x1 or even the PS3 to PS4.

I was in the Spiderman Gamers are clueless thread after it came out. I was told that Spiderman was the best consoles could do. Then we got Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws, Fable and Starfield all taking a big shit all over Insomniac's so-called next gen effort. Sometimes it's just devs just not being good enough. This happens to all studios. Rocksteady used to be on top and is making trash. Valve doesnt even make anything anymore and they literally set the standard for FPS back in 2004. Bioware went from being THE WRPG studio to a nobody. The Bioshock team isnt even a studio anymore with ken levine making some new game with a different studio.

Would you see the next Ken Levine game and say hey, these guys made the best looking game of 2007 and 2013, so if their new game looks like shit, that means the console is shit? of course not. Insomniac phoning in spiderman is on them. And them alone.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

One of the very rare times that I disagree with you, Slimy. I think Insomniac are a Tier A studio. Spidey 1 in 2018 was by far the best videogame for a comic book character ever made, Miles even topped that. R&C Rift Apart was a gorgeous game, it was being compared to Pixar when we first saw it back in 2020.

I think this is why we were so disappointed by Spidey 2, cuz our expectations for it were through the roof, and those expectations stem from the fact that we have come to expect the highest of highs from Insomniac. If they weren’t a top tier dev who have always released awesome games we wouldn’t have had high expectations for Spidey 2 which lead to the disappointment.
I think the arkham games were better but best superhero game isnt really a high bar. I think Resistance 3 was a way better campaign and I actually remember giving Sunset my GOTY in 2014 which was a rather weak year.

I am a fan of insomniac but Spiderman was Arkham copy pasta, miles were a quick and dirty DLC expansion, and ratchet left me underwhelmed. They couldve done so much more with the ssd but they just settled on some very basic setpiece moments.

To me, they have been right on the edge just one step away from greatness, and they just wont take it. Spiderman was great, but it got annihilated by GOW and RDR2 that year in GOTY awards. miles was a no show, and ratchet was roundly beaten by It Takes Two which had that ingenious, innovative feel Ratchet games are supposed to have. I have no idea why Insmoniac is treating Spiderman 2 like some DLC. I have no idea why they are selling $70 ratchet games that arent even as good as PS3 era ratchet games. They are no longer a third party studio worried about paying the bills, they are now a first party studio making literally the best selling sony franchise ever. They should have a blank check and they are about to phone it in.

I agree, I too had high expectations because i was hoping for them to take that next step forward but they have taken two steps back with ratchet and now spiderman.

Last edited:

Msamy

Can you please share a screenshot or link?
In the past few years they add very talented programmer's (you can search their linkedin profiles yourself) one of them was ready at dawn lead graphics Programmer he joined sony santa monica in last April ..
esH90qS.jpg

In the past few years they add very talented programmer's (you can search their linkedin profiles yourself) one of them was ready at dawn lead graphics Programmer he joined sony santa monica in last April ..
esH90qS.jpg

GOWR is a beautiful game, the visuals are impressive but in the context of next-gen visuals it doesn't hold up. Which is a shame because Santa Monica have always been historically known to set visual benchmarks on Playstation hardware. I remember being blown away with GOW 3 back in 2010, and likewise again in 2018 by GOW.

Hopefully SSM can continue their tradition with their next game.

2x? It's 5x in terms of raw tflops, and 8x if you count the IPC gains from GCN1.1 to Polaris to RDNA.

I agree on RT which is way more GPU hungry than standard rasterization, but there is enough GPU horsepower here for 1440p 30 fps next gen visuals.

I am not sure why we are counting mid gen consoles as if ANY game last gen used the PS4 Pro and X1X as the lowest common denominator. Especially when the PS4 and X1 are still used as the base hardware with the PS5 and XSX already out. The XSX is actually 9x more powerful in raw tflops terms, and over 14x more powerful. Thats a way bigger upgrade than what we got from the 360 to x1 or even the PS3 to PS4.

I was in the Spiderman Gamers are clueless thread after it came out. I was told that Spiderman was the best consoles could do. Then we got Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws, Fable and Starfield all taking a big shit all over Insomniac's so-called next gen effort. Sometimes it's just devs just not being good enough. This happens to all studios. Rocksteady used to be on top and is making trash. Valve doesnt even make anything anymore and they literally set the standard for FPS back in 2004. Bioware went from being THE WRPG studio to a nobody. The Bioshock team isnt even a studio anymore with ken levine making some new game with a different studio.

Would you see the next Ken Levine game and say hey, these guys made the best looking game of 2007 and 2013, so if their new game looks like shit, that means the console is shit? of course not. Insomniac phoning in spiderman is on them. And them alone.
The Spider-Man 2 apologist getting ass blasted by the 1-2-3-4 knockout of fable, starfield, avatar, Star Wars was one of the most satisfying watches I’ve had in this little sphere of gaming enthusiast discourse.

That spirited debate over Spider-Man 2’s dogshit graphics died down so fast. Like overnight after Microsoft and Ubisoft of all people dunked on them.

Msamy

GOWR is a beautiful game, the visuals are impressive but in the context of next-gen visuals it doesn't hold up. Which is a shame because Santa Monica have always been historically known to set visual benchmarks on Playstation hardware. I remember being blown away with GOW 3 back in 2010, and likewise again in 2018 by GOW.

I can't blame them this game mainly focus was ps4 , Sony desrve full blame on that also I believe this is fully Sony decision not curry decision as they try to hide the truth

Last edited:
They did such a fantastic job with Ratchet and Miles Morales that the expectations were huge. It's starting to make sense why things are the way they are. VFX Veteren was right. 2x jump in GPU plus bandwidth constraints plus RT capability doesn't leave much headroom for next gen visuals

VFX veteran is wrong. Look at the matrix city demo and ue5 rocky desert demos, next gen environments. PS5 is said can run the geometry of nanite at 60+fps in 1440p. With optimizations it is believed it can also run lumen lighting global illumination at 1440p 60fps.

The software side is lagging, it is believed future unreal engine tech within a few years will be able to handle skeletal meshes and characters will receive infinite polygon detail from future nanite just like the environments have received.

Again it is all due to lagging software development, with the right software these consoles will sing.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
But it's not gonna look better by release ...it was shown only 4 months from release date. Games do not improve that much in that amount of time.

We know why it's not looking next gen anyway. They went wide instead of deep being 2x the size of Spiderman remastered. Seeing how the consoles run the latest new gen games it also makes sense- they didn't rework their engine much, they're using more RT this time, and they've added detail to the city ...it's just ..not enough.

Me praying Insomniac shows something good tomorrow to quash this belief:

prayer GIF

I think FF16 looks great (as in its in the top 5 best looking games) even outside of those cutscenes but only in Fidelity mode of course. It's stunning. That forest area in the beginning was impressive. The motion blur and camera tho its killing me

A bridge too far imo. Sounds like you haven't played far enough to temper this sentiment. It can get pretty funny looking lol. Almost like scenes from two different games.

And the same goes for Horizon, now Spiderman 2...they all had wow looking games lat gen, but all these releases so far are pure cross gen titles. They are just shinier in 4K.

SlimySnake

To me the biggest problem with ragnorak isnt even the visuals being last gen, it was the setpieces and the scale of things. Far worse than GOW3.

I just finished zelda totk and its finale is so much more epic in scale than GOW Ragnorak and HFW's finales. Even burning shores big PS5 only horus fight was extremely underwhelming compared to what Nintendo pulled off with this shitty 0.19 tflops 15 watt machine. It was shocking that you couldnt even fight the thing while flying on a dinobot. Meanwhile zelda's finale was doing some amazing things with their flying systems.

Honestly, I have zero faith in Sony studios going forward. There is a clear lack of direction. They value all the wrong things. Why else would SSM limit themselves to a single camera system? they cared about intimacy more than epic battles. GG said that they did everything they wanted to with HFW and then their last battle was a cutscene. And after recruiting all these different characters through out the campaign, not a single one comes to join in the final battle which were 1v1 or 2v1.

Meanwhile zelda had five side characters fighting dozens of enemies plus anything you can craft. I had like 10 things fighting on my behalf. GG just had these great looking foliage and clouds, and didnt even come close to matching the scale we saw in zelda. Their priorities are all wrong. SSM's priorities are all wrong. And that will never change. Not with any hardware. not with a 4090 or a 6 Ghz CPU. Spiderman 2 is proof of that. A fucking QTE fest. In 2023. no physics systems. no new gameplay systems. Want to do anything cool? just make it a QTE.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Playing ff16. I really liked the rock area after the prologue demo. I was surprised by how sharp it looked for a fsr1.0 game but then you go into the first town and the linear forest area and game just becomes way too soft. Shimmering is limited to light leaking from trees so that’s a positive but i would’ve loved to see fsr 2.0 in this game.

Cutscenes look stunning. Overall its no horizon but the visuals are better than gow, Star Wars, re4, hogwarts and dead space already.

Playing ff16. I really liked the rock area after the prologue demo. I was surprised by how sharp it looked for a fsr1.0 game but then you go into the first town and the linear forest area and game just becomes way too soft. Shimmering is limited to light leaking from trees so that’s a positive but i would’ve loved to see fsr 2.0 in this game.

Cutscenes look stunning. Overall its no horizon but the visuals are better than gow, Star Wars, re4, hogwarts and dead space already.
So is it next gen to you?

SlimySnake

Just for my point of reference, do you consider demon souls (my personal favorite) to be next gen looking? How does that stack to FF16?
I think Demon souls is next Gen but not nearly as good looking as avatar and ue5 demos so i consider it a ps4.5 game. Definitely a step aboce cross Gen games.

Ff16 looks worse so far but the one big titan fight in the prologue was something I just don’t see anymore.

Alex11

Didn't play it, but FF16 cutscenes, while they look great, they give me vibes of old game cinematics or CGI animations, like from ~2005. The lighting also is very, don't know the right word, soft, a bit muted.
I agree with all but 2 of those games, RE4R looks quite good IMO and I think the lighting is better, also Dead Space, I really loved the visuals and that lighting again for me was way superior, with all the shadows and lights and it also looked so crisp with DLSS.

Didn't play it, but FF16 cutscenes, while they look great, they give me vibes of old game cinematics or CGI animations, like from ~2005. The lighting also is very, don't know the right word, soft, a bit muted.
I agree with all but 2 of those games, RE4R looks quite good IMO and I think the lighting is better, also Dead Space, I really loved the visuals and that lighting again for me was way superior, with all the shadows and lights and it also looked so crisp with DLSS.
Hear a lot of the most impressive FF16 cutscenes are pre-rendered though so:/

CGNoire

Speaking of the devil, what happened to VFX Veteran? That guy was something else!
He is over at Beyond3d forum now.
I personally agreed with him on most things with the only exception being his hate boner for the matrix demo for commiting the terrible crime of not being offline quality.....its like no shit sherlock it has to run in realtime where not comparing it against ILM's output.

Other than that I thought he was a good ally for us graphic whores. Even took alot of shit from those who where highly complacent making excuses for those so called Next Gen games.

Not sure why he was permabanned since at first it was a temp ban which within days was for some reason upgraded to a perm with no reason listed. Id assume he wrote a snarky letter to the mods perhapse.

CGNoire

I am not sure why we are counting mid gen consoles as if ANY game last gen used the PS4 Pro and X1X as the lowest common denominator.
This so fucking much.

That shit was always an excuse to draw ire away from devs. Its the equaivalent of ps4 coming out and people claiming that the fact that there are PC versions of 360 games running at higher resolutions that we now have to take that into condsideration when comparing 360 games to PS4. "Lets be nice guys".

Higher res ps4 games has zero effect on my perceptions of the clear cut shortcomings of PS5. Enough with this nonsense.

CGNoire

The software side is lagging, it is believed future unreal engine tech within a few years will be able to handle skeletal meshes and characters will receive infinite polygon detail from future nanite just like the environments have received.
Im a huge UE5 fan but I dont see them solving that problem in just a few years. Shits gonna take awhile. They still cant even get there foilage to have actual motion and instead have to depend on a world position offset to animate it. Which produces results near 20 years outdated now. Not to mention that any Nanite object of considerable size when paired with lumen tracers black when in motion since lumen still has a way significant lag whem updating thus leaving the lightmaps as black temporarily. Not good for moving characters.

We will probably have the bandwidth available to us eventually to update nanite fast enough for deformable meshes but it ls gonna take a large increase on the hardware front before we even start worrying about the software. Ps6 at the soonest.

That doesnt mean we cant get nanite armor in the mean time. My personally hope is we get nanite mechs or robots in some upcoming titles soon.

Last edited:
I use the Pro consoles to easily compare because they represented the best of what last gen had to offer, they were most recent in our minds, and because they wer already "4k".

Easier and more straight forward comparison. They're still 2x less gpu + IPC gains, much faster cpu, more bandwidth, ssd etc so i expected bigger jumps even factoring that in. I still think there should be headroom I'm not seeing but the latest new gen games keep telling me I'm wrong to have expected so much.

PS- I find it amusing how Digital Foundry is literally supporting Microsoft on the whole "the Series S and X is just like the One S and X; it was always meant to be SS base console and Series X being the mid gen refresh (just given to us ahead of time)" and how they're all "we don't need mid gen, we havnt even seen what these consoles can do" meanwhile, they've been downplaying the power (perhaps rightfully so) of "the consoles" this entire gen.

Someone said I was a stupid conspiracy theorist for suggesting that DF toes the party line but this is exactly them doing just that. It's pathetic. We don't need large tech sites repeating the BS of Microsoft. Why havnt we heard this talk of Series X being their "pro console" AT ALL until recently.

Me praying Insomniac shows something good tomorrow to quash this belief:

prayer GIF

A bridge too far imo. Sounds like you haven't played far enough to temper this sentiment. It can get pretty funny looking lol. Almost like scenes from two different games.

I've only only played the first 3 or 4 areas and each has really looked good.

you saw nanite didn't you? just in case you forgot
Unreal-Engine-5-Demo-rendu-temps-reel-et-polygones-Nanite-sur-une-statue-de-Mike-Kime-sur-Artstation-Copyright-Epic-Games.jpg

0_dGmhGsaoFWfoLJet.png

fences used to be 2d sprites now they're fully geometrical 3d
FGZzmsoXIAUkdrw

nanite-in-unreal-engine.webp
Don't make me laugh...
Techdemo != Game. And even those hand-picked absolute best case PR scenarios were FAR faaar from your "beliefs" performance wise.
"It is believed"... Yeah, by you, based on .. Nothing.

Last edited:

alloush

I think the arkham games were better but best superhero game isnt really a high bar. I think Resistance 3 was a way better campaign and I actually remember giving Sunset my GOTY in 2014 which was a rather weak year.

I am a fan of insomniac but Spiderman was Arkham copy pasta, miles were a quick and dirty DLC expansion, and ratchet left me underwhelmed. They couldve done so much more with the ssd but they just settled on some very basic setpiece moments.

To me, they have been right on the edge just one step away from greatness, and they just wont take it. Spiderman was great, but it got annihilated by GOW and RDR2 that year in GOTY awards. miles was a no show, and ratchet was roundly beaten by It Takes Two which had that ingenious, innovative feel Ratchet games are supposed to have. I have no idea why Insmoniac is treating Spiderman 2 like some DLC. I have no idea why they are selling $70 ratchet games that arent even as good as PS3 era ratchet games. They are no longer a third party studio worried about paying the bills, they are now a first party studio making literally the best selling sony franchise ever. They should have a blank check and they are about to phone it in.

I agree, I too had high expectations because i was hoping for them to take that next step forward but they have taken two steps back with ratchet and now spiderman.
I never really played the Arkham games but when I did I wasn't engaged, I never really gave those games a chance but then again there was a reason why I gave Spidey a chance but not the Arkham games. Having said that, I disagree that best superhero game isn't really a high bar considering there have been tons and tons of superhero games and only a handful really captured that superhero essence and made people engage. So Spidey being the best superhero game is quite the achievement imo.

Miles was a quick expansion but it expanded on the first Spidey game. I loved Miles, everything about it, from his unique swinging technique to the storyline itself, to the graphics that were good. Ratchet I never played honestly but I loved the graphics of Rift apart.

To be fair, any game woulda gotten annihilated by GoW and RDR2 there is no shame in that. These two games are my favorite of all time with RDR2 being my absolute favorite game of all time.

I agree though, selling Ratchet games for $70 to me is a rip off honestly. And I agree that they are treating Spidey 2 as a DLC which is bizarre considering how Spidey 1 and Miles sold so well and got people hooked and are now considered two of the top selling PS exclusive games. Could it they are putting all their effort into Wolverine which looks like a proper next-gen game made from the ground up for next gen consoles as opposed to Spidey 2 which doesn't seem like it was made from the ground up for next gen consoles? No one will ever know.

alloush

He is over at Beyond3d forum now.
I personally agreed with him on most things with the only exception being his hate boner for the matrix demo for commiting the terrible crime of not being offline quality.....its like no shit sherlock it has to run in realtime where not comparing it against ILM's output.

Other than that I thought he was a good ally for us graphic whores. Even took alot of shit from those who where highly complacent making excuses for those so called Next Gen games.

Not sure why he was permabanned since at first it was a temp ban which within days was for some reason upgraded to a perm with no reason listed. Id assume he wrote a snarky letter to the mods perhapse.
I agreed with a lot of the things he used to preach but at the same time he came across as a narcissist who knew everything and everyone else is beneath him, lol. Though I did find him funny to be honest, but when he was still around I wasn't engaging yet I just visited the forums; woulda loved to engage with him honestly.

He does sound a lot like Lethal01 Lethal01 though in the sense he would shoot down anyone who asked for realistic graphics and made fun of anyone who posted a video of some CGI and said one day we will get there.

Lethal01 Lethal01 VFX Veteran, is that you? 👀

Edder1

Don't make me laugh...
Techdemo != Game. And even those hand-picked absolute best case PR scenarios were FAR faaar from your "beliefs" performance wise.
"It is believed"... Yeah, by you, based on .. Nothing.
I see a lot of scepticism from people regarding these UE5 demos and yet not a single dev throughout all this time came out and said you can't do these level of graphics in a game, or at the very least expressed same level of scepticism. Epic also reiterated multiple times that they have left enough headroom in these demos for game logic, AI, etc.

Last edited:
I see a lot of scepticism from people regarding these UE5 demos and yet not a single dev throughout all this time came out and said you can't do these level of graphics in a game, or at the very least expressed same level of scepticism. Epic also reiterated multiple times that they have left enough headroom in these demos for game logic, AI, etc.
Please read what you're quoting first. This isn't about "is it possible", well it is, we already saw it, this is about "at what kind of performance".
The claim that we'll get that at native 1440p+ and 60fps on current gen consoles is at the very best wishful thinking.

Last edited:

alloush

But at the same time, devs have not produced any game with visuals even remotely close to those UE5 demos.

Edder1

Please read what you're quoting first. This isn't about "is it possible", well it is, we already saw it, this is about "at what kind of performance".
The claim that we'll get that at native 1440p+ and 60fps on current gen consoles is at the very best wishful thinking.
Epic never claimed that, their demos ran at 1440p30 upscaled to 4K. They said 60fps could be possible down the line, but obviously there would need to be reasonable cuts and it would probably be a lower resolution upscaled to 1440p or thereabouts. Sounds very reasonable to me given hardware at hand. Anyone expecting anything else lives in fantasy world where consoles are these super powerful computers that can simulate reality.

Last edited:

Edder1

But at the same time, devs have not produced any game with visuals even remotely close to those UE5 demos.
Well, we haven't had a major studio release a AAA project on UE5 that takes advantage of features Epic touted. Until we do we can't claim that those visuals aren't realistic in a game. Then again, Star Wars Outlaws showed something quite similar recently, a massive visual jump from last gen.

Last edited:
Epic never claimed that, their demos ran at 1440p30 upscaled to 4K. They said 60fps could be possible down the line, but obviously there would need to be reasonable cuts and framerate would probably be a lower resolution upscaled to 1440p or thereabouts. Sounds very reasonable to me given hardware at hand. Anyone expecting anything else lives in fantasy world where consoles are these super powerful computers that can simulate reality.
Again... Read! the! context! BEFORE you answer...a user here claimed that.

Last edited:
It is far from a tech demo , a tech demo is 1 mermaid you can spin around with a camera , this was a fully playable slice .
With nothing going on in the background at all....
That demo was puddle deep, never even claimed otherwise. You guys taking PR material like that at face value and expecting optimisations to provide literally a generational jump in performance are in for a big disappointment.

Last edited:
I love how everyone fucking forgot about re4 remake existence when it comes to graphic

Different use of colors, in terms of details it's not superior.
Flashbacks to the UE4 storm demo haha. Didn't that guy get hired by a studio?

I've bought FFXVI but haven't started it yet outside the demo. Those effects are crazy good sfx tell me there's more!

I love the environments and the lighting has a very CG feel to it but the characters faces let it down a lot imo. Just it's typical Japanese doll like faces which is the opposite to ND, GG and R*'s much more photo real faces.

FF16 is way too inconsistent to be up there with the big boys. A couple of the main characters and some of the environments do look absolutely incredible but a lot of it looks like a modded Dragon's Dogma or something.

Are these the NPCs of one of the best looking games of all time as some in this thread are calling it? These are all quest NPCs so not some random passer by.

If I'm cherry picking I have a lot of cherries to choose from as 95% of the interactions look like this.

V8RmjKl.jpg
RX15xtQ.jpg
eQJPxeu.jpg

VXhZxCC.jpg
Snia4o9.jpg
O6tieBO.jpg

dgqaOD3.jpg
AOo69bw.jpg
af7Wvw2.jpg

5uRdLdu.jpg
QJX0Ghb.jpg
8SIzd0x.jpg

If someone likes a certain games visuals it doesn't mean you have to shit on another games visuals because someone has the opinion that it looks better TO THEM.

Let's be honest, most AAA games are a 9/10 visually nowadays. We split hairs but shouldn't cherry pick screenshots to show our preference.

Alex11

FF16 is way too inconsistent to be up there with the big boys. A couple of the main characters and some of the environments do look absolutely incredible but a lot of it looks like a modded Dragon's Dogma or something.

Are these the NPCs of one of the best looking games of all time as some in this thread are calling it? These are all quest NPCs so not some random passer by.

If I'm cherry picking I have a lot of cherries to choose from as 95% of the interactions look like this.

V8RmjKl.jpg
RX15xtQ.jpg
eQJPxeu.jpg

VXhZxCC.jpg
Snia4o9.jpg
O6tieBO.jpg

dgqaOD3.jpg
AOo69bw.jpg
af7Wvw2.jpg

5uRdLdu.jpg
QJX0Ghb.jpg
8SIzd0x.jpg
Yeah, they do look a bit poor, the lighting, I really don't like it, it's so washed out, too soft. In every game that is mentioned here, be it crosgen or not, the lighting pops up more.

SlimySnake

OMG The Geruda fight. Holy shit. Thats next gen. Thats what i wanted from ragnorak. Insane weather effects, epic scale, destruction... canned but who cares when it all looks that epic.

The game looks really good at times. Very mediocre other times, but im honestly very impressed. Still, there is a pre-rendered cutscene that plays after the Geruda fight that looks next gen as fuck. rofif rofif , see that lighting? that asset quality? the insane level of detail? that is next gen graphics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom