• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ChiefDada

Gold Member
An interesting analysis I had when comparing between Horizon Burning Shores and FF16.

Horizon has better resolution, better fps option, better character models, better geometry, and better textures. All by a wide margin. And still I would give the visual edge to FF16. That is how great of an impact the lighting/shadow system (at it's best, which is often enough to give credit) is. This game has made me realize I would sacrifice a lot of Horizon's visual features, within reason, in exchange for a game that prioritizes the realistic lighting as FF16 has done here.

OMG The Geruda fight. Holy shit. Thats next gen. Thats what i wanted from ragnorak. Insane weather effects, epic scale, destruction... canned but who cares when it all looks that epic.

The game looks really good at times. Very mediocre other times, but im honestly very impressed. Still, there is a pre-rendered cutscene that plays after the Geruda fight that looks next gen as fuck. rofif rofif , see that lighting? that asset quality? the insane level of detail? that is next gen graphics.

I was wondering where you might be in the game. Glad you're seeing things to your liking but yeah, you ain't seen nothing yet!

OCASM

Banned
There was a early gen PS4 looking section in FFXVI that was so bad it would give Slimy a heart attack. I couldn't run fast enough to escape. But thankfully the next section was RT shadow heaven (These have to be RT shadows, I imagine. They're too good).

Whatever RDR2 did for its shadows seems to be catching on. About time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
An interesting analysis I had when comparing between Horizon Burning Shores and FF16.

Horizon has better resolution, better fps option, better character models, better geometry, and better textures. All by a wide margin. And still I would give the visual edge to FF16. That is how great of an impact the lighting/shadow system (at it's best, which is often enough to give credit) is. This game has made me realize I would sacrifice a lot of Horizon's visual features, within reason, in exchange for a game that prioritizes the realistic lighting as FF16 has done here.

I was wondering where you might be in the game. Glad you're seeing things to your liking but yeah, you ain't seen nothing yet!
Ff16’s forests and plains are definitely a highlight. Excellent lighting system that really shines in those outdoor areas. The baked lighting indoors doesn’t really look that great which is a shame because when they give you that floating light are the start of that dark dungeon, their GI system worked flawlessly and have this incredible hero lighting around Clive that made it look almost cutscene quality. No idea why they didn’t go ham with that kind of dynamic lighting.

It’sa shame the game still doesn’t have the patch to remove the motion blur and they couldn’t get fsr2.0 working because fsr 1.0 really hurts the IQ in spots. I really don’t want to see shimmering in my quality 30 fps modes and i know i sound like a hypocrite because i have been asking them to target lower resolutions all Gen. I honestly didn’t have a problem with the matrix dropping to 1080p but this at 1440p fsr 1.0 can look really shimmery around the trees. Foliage oddly enough looks fine.

Last edited:
OMG The Geruda fight. Holy shit. Thats next gen. Thats what i wanted from ragnorak. Insane weather effects, epic scale, destruction... canned but who cares when it all looks that epic.

The game looks really good at times. Very mediocre other times, but im honestly very impressed. Still, there is a pre-rendered cutscene that plays after the Geruda fight that looks next gen as fuck. rofif rofif , see that lighting? that asset quality? the insane level of detail? that is next gen graphics.
Changed your mind on it eh?

Also should we be impressed with next Gen looking pre rendered cutscenes?

Msamy

The more I play Cyberpunk in Overdrive the more I'm amazed by the lighting, it's in a league of its own. Too bad the asset quality is poor and some textures are a bit low-res and drags it down.

I really am curious how and what it's gonna be improved graphically, when the DLC arrives.

2ogv5xI.jpg

EejGdVS.jpg

tjrMDZM.jpg

6QlszAr.jpg

oE52OeQ.jpg

eKsIMqe.jpg

T2UAGbt.jpg
that's ray traced global illumination , the most important future next gen games needs to have .

Yeah Cyberpunk 2077 in Overdrive is in a league of its own in many respects and hopefully next gen console games will have lighting at least as impressive.

Sometimes it looks like a game from the future as it is so far ahead of anything you see on console (outside of very careful crafted baked lighting of course) but then there are still a lot of PS4 looking assets around the world that really spoil things. It's a shame it wasn't current gen & PC only as all the last gen versions got them was a load of bad press.

I think Ratchet and Clank or Demon Souls are still my favourite looking games though as although they definitely don't reach the heights of some of these never games they are ultra consistent throughout for like 95% of the game and I guess I'm a glass half empty kind of guy as I'm immediately drawn to stuff that looks bad in games like Horizon, FF16 or even Cyberpunk.

winjer

The more I play Cyberpunk in Overdrive the more I'm amazed by the lighting, it's in a league of its own. Too bad the asset quality is poor and some textures are a bit low-res and drags it down.

I really am curious how and what it's gonna be improved graphically, when the DLC arrives.

2ogv5xI.jpg

EejGdVS.jpg

tjrMDZM.jpg

6QlszAr.jpg

oE52OeQ.jpg

eKsIMqe.jpg

T2UAGbt.jpg

Install the Cyberpunk 2077 HD Reworked Project. It's made by the same guy that made the textures for The Witcher 3 Remake.
And it's a game changer for this game.

Yeah Cyberpunk 2077 in Overdrive is in a league of its own in many respects and hopefully next gen console games will have lighting at least as impressive.

Sometimes it looks like a game from the future as it is so far ahead of anything you see on console (outside of very careful crafted baked lighting of course) but then there are still a lot of PS4 looking assets around the world that really spoil things. It's a shame it wasn't current gen & PC only as all the last gen versions got them was a load of bad press.

I think Ratchet and Clank or Demon Souls are still my favourite looking games though as although they definitely don't reach the heights of some of these never games they are ultra consistent throughout for like 95% of the game and I guess I'm a glass half empty kind of guy as I'm immediately drawn to stuff that looks bad in games like Horizon, FF16 or even Cyberpunk.
My beloved demon souls…

Has such a pre rendered sheen to it, an almost cgi like quality sometimes, after a long play session I’ll switch to saw GOW:R or yes even HZ:FW and immediately my eyes pick up on a more video gamey lower tier graphical rendering.

I genuinely can’t describe it. I think the materials and geometry just seal it. And it runs a lot of impressive stuff that goes untalked about. Kinda like physx on Nvidia PCs awhile back. Fog moves as you walk through it, flags and draped banners have these amazing dynamic cloth physics to them, then there’s destructibility. Like the arena with that fat guy with the bird on his head. All of those tiles are dynamically destructible if you land/walk/swing your sword on them.

Last edited:
Install the Cyberpunk 2077 HD Reworked Project. It's made by the same guy that made the textures for The Witcher 3 Remake.
And it's a game changer for this game.

Wow huge improvement.

Not really messed with mods but will try this later for sure.

Lethal01

He does sound a lot like Lethal01 Lethal01 though in the sense he would shoot down anyone who asked for realistic graphics and made fun of anyone who posted a video of some CGI and said one day we will get there.

We will get there one day, but seeing people post prerendedered CGI and then expect and complain when it doesn't happen on a PS5 has gotten old at this point. Using something like the Matrix demo is much better even if it should also be kept in mind that that tech demo is not a full game.

Lethal01 Lethal01 VFX Veteran, is that you? 👀
I proudly joined the dogpilling on him for months, perhaps it was all a ploy.
That's exactly what VFX threads feel like though, 6 paragraphs of things you notices by playing the game without a blindfold.

I think I was alot more positive about these consoles than VFX was, but as I said a thousand times, there is expecting more than what we go and then there is using CGI rendered and minutes per frame to set your expectation of current games. Also a ton of insulting one game and it's devs and then praising another because you can't see the technical improvement is minor.

My beloved demon souls…

Has such a pre rendered sheen to it, an almost cgi like quality sometimes, after a long play session I’ll switch to saw GOW:R or yes even HZ:FW and immediately my eyes pick up on a more video gamey lower tier graphical rendering.

I genuinely can’t describe it. I think the materials and geometry just seal it. And it runs a lot of impressive stuff that goes untalked about. Kinda like physx on Nvidia PCs awhile back. Fog moves as you walk through it, flags and draped banners have these amazing dynamic cloth physics to them, then there’s destructibility. Like the arena with that fat guy with the bird on his head. All of those tiles are dynamically destructible if you land/walk/swing your sword on them.
My only grip with Demon souls, is that blue spirit thingy over the character , which makes it look el cheapo.

Musilla

When I buy my PS5 with Demon's Souls Remake I thought it was just the starting point and that this incredible level of detail was normal for the new generation... three years later it is still the king in various aspects such as textures and geometry.
HPPil5v.gif

I really want to see the new from Bluepoint

Last edited:

Alex11

Just take care, that the game at 4K, with RT + HD Reworked Project., can use over 20Gb of vram.
The mod has 2 texture packs, Ultra Quality and Balanced.
Oh then sadly it isn't for me, I have 12Gb vram, my limit is 1440p if I wanna use path tracing. It does look improved though.

SlimySnake

Changed your mind on it eh?

Also should we be impressed with next Gen looking pre rendered cutscenes?
Did I? I have praised the Titan battles as next gen going back to when the demo came out. That hasn't changed. This game shits on ragnorak and honestly, every other last gen game in terms of setpieces and just the scale of things.

And no, i was telling rofif that the game would look next gen if it looked like that pre-rendered scene at all times.

My only grip with Demon souls, is that blue spirit thingy over the character , which makes it look el cheapo.
such an idiotic move. This is why i hate developers who just want to stay true to the original vision without thinking these through. Pretty sure even FromSoft removed that hollow mechanic starting from DS1. Elden Ring, Bloodborne and DS3 definitely dont have that shitty glowing aura.

It completely kills the IQ and makes the game look fugly. So dumb. Whats worse is that if you die, you cant just consume an item to become human again like you can in other DS games. You have to defeat a boss. Like come on. There is a reason why this stuff was changed. A remake is supposed to bring quality of life improvements to an old game.

Pretty sure they know this too. All the state of play demos they showed of the game had the human form and a custom camera right up against the character model. In the final game, the camera is pulled way back further reducing the impact of the gorgeous character models.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

2ogv5xI.jpg

EejGdVS.jpg

tjrMDZM.jpg

6QlszAr.jpg

oE52OeQ.jpg

eKsIMqe.jpg

T2UAGbt.jpg

You keep mentioning poor textures. I don’t see it. I have 300+ hours in the game. Textures are great and hold up even up close.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

2ogv5xI.jpg

EejGdVS.jpg

tjrMDZM.jpg

6QlszAr.jpg

oE52OeQ.jpg

eKsIMqe.jpg

T2UAGbt.jpg
You keep mentioning poor textures. I don’t see it. I have 300+ hours in the game. Textures are great and hold up even up close.
Every game has lower quality textures or assets here and there, open world games even more. The overall textures and assets in CP are far from poor quality, the level of detail is even incredible for a open world game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
When I buy my PS5 with Demon's Souls Remake I thought it was just the starting point and that this incredible level of detail was normal for the new generation... three years later it is still the king in various aspects such as textures and geometry.
HPPil5v.gif

Reminds me of 1:54

Claiming that ff16 got anything on Des would be risky but I would say it is att he very least debatable

alloush

We will get there one day, but seeing people post prerendedered CGI and then expect and complain when it doesn't happen on a PS5 has gotten old at this point. Using something like the Matrix demo is much better even if it should also be kept in mind that that tech demo is not a full game.

I proudly joined the dogpilling on him for months, perhaps it was all a ploy.

I think I was alot more positive about these consoles than VFX was, but as I said a thousand times, there is expecting more than what we go and then there is using CGI rendered and minutes per frame to set your expectation of current games. Also a ton of insulting one game and it's devs and then praising another because you can't see the technical improvement is minor.
You're right. We sometimes post a video of some amazing CGI shit that would require a NASA rig to run and start demanding games look like that. I have been guilty of this myself as well. But excitement gets us a lot of times, but we do need to temper our expectations for sure. But something like The Matrix demo which was playable should be doable end of this gen maybe, or early next gen (hopefully).

Yeah VFX as I mentioned earlier came across as snobby and had a condescending tone to him when addressing people which what made 90% of folks on here hate his guts, lol. And he was far more pessimistic that you ever were and always dampened people's mood with remarks like "Yeah that aint ever happenin" or "maybe in 90 years" you know shit like that.

I have a feeling that last sentence is a dig at a certain someone 👀

Did I? I have praised the Titan battles as next gen going back to when the demo came out. That hasn't changed. This game shits on ragnorak and honestly, every other last gen game in terms of setpieces and just the scale of things.

And no, i was telling rofif that the game would look next gen if it looked like that pre-rendered scene at all times.

such an idiotic move. This is why i hate developers who just want to stay true to the original vision without thinking these through. Pretty sure even FromSoft removed that hollow mechanic starting from DS1. Elden Ring, Bloodborne and DS3 definitely dont have that shitty glowing aura.

It completely kills the IQ and makes the game look fugly. So dumb. Whats worse is that if you die, you cant just consume an item to become human again like you can in other DS games. You have to defeat a boss. Like come on. There is a reason why this stuff was changed. A remake is supposed to bring quality of life improvements to an old game.

Pretty sure they know this too. All the state of play demos they showed of the game had the human form and a custom camera right up against the character model. In the final game, the camera is pulled way back further reducing the impact of the gorgeous character models.
Yeah very true, now that you mention it , if it was on Pc that would of been fixed the following day of release! But yeah , that's really too bad , still a beautiful looking game.

Last edited:

Alex11

Well some textures are a bit poor, but that's normal, I know every game has some low quality textures, especially open world ones.
It may seem so, but anytime I mention it, I don't mean it like a bad thing or heavy criticism, I mean like a comparison, seeing that HFW has a bit higher texture quality for everything, or am I wrong?
Every game has lower quality textures or assets here and there, open world games even more. The overall textures and assets in CP are far from poor quality, the level of detail is even incredible for a open world game.
Yeah, maybe I misjudged or misspoke, a better way would have been to say some assets are a bit lower in quality than others, but that's normal, I know, as I said, it's not a criticism, but a comparison to other titles.

giorgos93

Neo Member
Assuming that rdna 4 has 120 teraflops in 2024 and rdna 5 around 200-250 teraflops in 2026, do you think that 200-250 teraflops is a realistic expectation for the next generation of consoles in 2028? (Ps6, xbox sx2)

alloush

Assuming that rdna 4 has 120 teraflops in 2024 and rdna 5 around 200-250 teraflops in 2026, do you think that 200-250 teraflops is a realistic expectation for the next generation of consoles in 2028? (Ps6, xbox sx2)
This is a question that keeps lingering in my head. I doubt next gen consoles will have this many tflops, maybe around 60ish?

alloush

Isn't 60 too low for a 2028 release? I mean rx 7900 xtx has around 60 teraflops and it's a 2022 gpu.
You gotta remember it would be 60tflops of a very advanced GPU. Having said that, I am just going by other people’s opinions and expectations, honestly I am not too technical to know!

OCASM

Banned
HPPil5v.gif

And it's crossgen too.

Epic never claimed that, their demos ran at 1440p30 upscaled to 4K. They said 60fps could be possible down the line, but obviously there would need to be reasonable cuts and it would probably be a lower resolution upscaled to 1440p or thereabouts. Sounds very reasonable to me given hardware at hand. Anyone expecting anything else lives in fantasy world where consoles are these super powerful computers that can simulate reality.
Epic claimed the ps5 could process nanite geometry of that demo at over 60fps iirc. They also said despite the cap lumen could run at 45fps and they expected once optimized the lumen lighting could run at 60fps

I can say that the GPU time spent rendering geometry in our UE5 demo is similar to the geometry rendering budget for Fortnite running at 60fps on consoles.

that's ray traced global illumination , the most important future next gen games needs to have .
I hope they delay ps6 till it can run path traced lighting at 60fps

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

2ogv5xI.jpg

EejGdVS.jpg

tjrMDZM.jpg

6QlszAr.jpg

oE52OeQ.jpg

eKsIMqe.jpg

T2UAGbt.jpg

The asset quality looks very high in these shots. This is incredible and i really can't ask for much else in terms of graphics. Easily best visuals to date. What are your specs and how well does it run?

The se t
My beloved demon souls…

The devs made extensive use of tesselation I remember reading in an interview

Epic claimed the ps5 could process nanite geometry of that demo at over 60fps iirc. They also said despite the cap lumen could run at 45fps and they expected once optimized the lumen lighting could run at 60fps

I hope they delay ps6 till it can run path traced lighting at 60fps

I can get behind that. Give us a mid gen refresh so we can at least maintain solid resolution and 60 fps for current gen games to ride out the gen without Starfield/FF16 situation.

2ogv5xI.jpg

EejGdVS.jpg

tjrMDZM.jpg

6QlszAr.jpg

oE52OeQ.jpg

eKsIMqe.jpg

T2UAGbt.jpg

Amazing

SlimySnake

Man, the FF16 plains area looks really good. its a giant open world/hub world area with lots of grass and foliage, but it looks surprisingly good. Great realistic lighting and some impressive draw distances.

I dont know if its next gen but I honestly cant think of many last gen games that look this good.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Man, the FF16 plains area looks really good. its a giant open world/hub world area with lots of grass and foliage, but it looks surprisingly good. Great realistic lighting and some impressive draw distances.

I dont know if its next gen but I honestly cant think of many last gen games that look this good.
iwanttosee-receipts.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
This fucking ff16 can look almost nextgen and ps3 level in the span of an hour, like what the fuck it even is the second hideout after the second timeskip?

Sorry but you can't be called nextgen when your lows are so fucking low, i'm pretty sure that forspoken city looks better than this location after they fixed the ao.

Also, the dude who made jill's face and hairs must be fired on the spot.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Definitely a huge step up from something like ragnarok, but honestly that's a low bar, I wouldn't really put them on the level of any of the Bayonetta games in terms of either "Epicness" or gameplay.

The action is large scale but just so generic, I want more than just "Giant dragon #827084327 shoots many laser", No interesting fights, just basic light shows.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This fucking ff16 can look almost nextgen and ps3 level in the span of an hour, like what the fuck it even is the second hideout after the second timeskip?

Sorry but you can't be called nextgen when your lows are so fucking low, i'm pretty sure that forspoken city looks better than this location after they fixed the ao.

Also, the dude who made jill's face and hairs must be fired on the spot.
you are very right lol. The hideout time of day will change later and it will look much better then haha.
What's wrong with jill? She is fine af

GymWolf

Gold Member
you are very right lol. The hideout time of day will change later and it will look much better then haha.
What's wrong with jill? She is fine af
Her face is too dolly, even for a japanese game, too much in harsh contrast with clive that look somehow realistic.

Annabelle and disguised zidane look much better.

And her hairs are straight up ps3 tech.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I only took one gameplay screenshot of that place, but I will go back and take more. I spent a while just walking around in that area taking in the visuals. Something I hardly ever do nowadays. Took another screenshot during a cutscene where they have an isometric view of a bridge that looked amazing. Character model of Clive looks insane at times. Also added a forspoken screenshot for reference.

FzpKNe4XwAYTD8H

FzpKND-WYAEsj4Y

FzpKNxyXsAA771p

FzpKOKUXwAE-Zp1

SlimySnake

Her face is too dolly, even for a japanese game, too much in harsh contrast with clive that look somehow realistic.

Annabelle and disguised zidane look much better.

And her hairs are straight up ps3 tech.
Everything about Jill is PS3 gen, i wish it was just the hair. I have no idea wtf they were thinking. The geruda chick was way better.

SlimySnake

So this tweet calling out insomniac went viral the other day. 18 million views on twitter. The fact that the guy didnt get ratio'd tells me that most people believe Spiderman isnt a significant leap. Am pretty sure Jstevenson and Insomniac devs roaming twitter have seen this.

I know it's just animations but it's really disappointing they took 5 years to make a sequel and ended up phoning it in. In 5 years, HFW had a massive leap in fidelity, Zelda had a massive leap in gameplay systems and physics, Starfield is a brand new IP different in every way. Avatar too.

Is it really that hard to get that motion matching tech from ND? And if it? Is 5 years not enough to implement it? I was really hoping Sony studios would go all out with that tech. Especially the pre-downgraded one we saw running on the PS4 Pro in 2018.

alloush

So this tweet calling out insomniac went viral the other day. 18 million views on twitter. The fact that the guy didnt get ratio'd tells me that most people believe Spiderman isnt a significant leap. Am pretty sure Jstevenson and Insomniac devs roaming twitter have seen this.

I know it's just animations but it's really disappointing they took 5 years to make a sequel and ended up phoning it in. In 5 years, HFW had a massive leap in fidelity, Zelda had a massive leap in gameplay systems and physics, Starfield is a brand new IP different in every way. Avatar too.

Is it really that hard to get that motion matching tech from ND? And if it? Is 5 years not enough to implement it? I was really hoping Sony studios would go all out with that tech. Especially the pre-downgraded one we saw running on the PS4 Pro in 2018.

Reading the comments underneath this tweet made me so fucking pissed. The amount of damage-control people do for their favorite devs is straight-up weird, that's weird behavior. People gathered up under his tweet to defend Insomniac and attack him for calling out Insomniac. It's like people would rather defend their favorite devs than actually call them out, even if it meant the game not improving as a result.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Some of the excuses are so bad in the replies.

"they didnt show new animations"

FFXVI is the most next-gen looking console game since Ratchet and Clank. Take a look at the video showing the bounce lighting on the stone and how it changes color based on fluctuating overcast. The most impressive screenshots tend to be the most spoilery so we have to wait a while. This game runs pretty long.

tftEpW8.jpg

MWzwJrP.jpg
CeRtfyc.jpg

Im not seeing anything next gen these face screenshots bro.

And HFW did that bounce lighting last year, and then Burning shores did it again even better.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Mortal Kombat Stress Test DF video confirms its native 4k 60 fps on the xsx. What a waste of the GPU.

Still, the backgrounds and lighting look really good compared to say Tekken and SF6. Both of which also target native 4k.

Also, the game is on UE4. So they finally upgraded their UE3 engine to UE4 in 2023. UE4 came out 10 years ago. Literally a decade behind in tech.

It's a shame because I remember these fighting games used to set graphics benchmarks along with racing games back in the day. I remember Tekken and Dead or Alive really pushing insane models when action adventure games struggled to get enough polygons on a character model in a third person game.

Top Bottom