• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Not sure why others do not use this. KZ2 was the first game I think I saw good ragdoll physics, 14yrs ago. Surely by now there should have been more advancement. I especailly like how AI being shot as he still pulls the trigger but due to physics of being hit has no control and shooting all over the place.

Still impressive to me. I agree.

Last edited:

hlm666

Seeing we are talking about physics, HLA is probably the best modern game in relation to physics. It's cool when you try stuff like grabbing a bucket to carry your grenades around in or putting on a hard hat so the barnicles pull that off instead of your head. Then on top of that it's also a very good looking game.

There is a spoiler warning in that video at 8 minutes, so if your jumping through that video keep that in mind.

H . R . 2

xbox-series-s-image-4-1024x576.jpg

In a recent interview with GamingBolt, when asked about the Xbox Series S and whether its hardware will be able to keep pace with its peers as the generation goes on,
Frozenbyte marketing manager Kai Tuovinen said that while the console is certainly a great option to have for those looking to purchase cheaper hardware,
from a development perspective, it can potentially become a “bottleneck”, especially for the more technically demanding games.

“More powerful hardware is always better from a developer perspective,” Touvinen said. “I think for more graphically intensive games the Series S can become
a bottleneck as supporting it is required. From a player perspective I guess it’s a nice option to have a more affordable console though.”

Of course, this isn’t just a hypothetical at this point. Larian Studios has been facing technical difficulties with getting Baldur’s Gate 3’s splitscreen co-op running properly on the Xbox Series S,
resulting in a delayed Xbox launch for the highly anticipated RPG.
Last year, Techland also talked about how the console’s GPU was holding development back.

ps5-1024x576.jpg

xbox-series-s-image-4-1024x576.jpg

In a recent interview with GamingBolt, when asked about the Xbox Series S and whether its hardware will be able to keep pace with its peers as the generation goes on,
Frozenbyte marketing manager Kai Tuovinen said that while the console is certainly a great option to have for those looking to purchase cheaper hardware,
from a development perspective, it can potentially become a “bottleneck”, especially for the more technically demanding games.

“More powerful hardware is always better from a developer perspective,” Touvinen said. “I think for more graphically intensive games the Series S can become
a bottleneck as supporting it is required. From a player perspective I guess it’s a nice option to have a more affordable console though.”

Of course, this isn’t just a hypothetical at this point. Larian Studios has been facing technical difficulties with getting Baldur’s Gate 3’s splitscreen co-op running properly on the Xbox Series S,
Last year, Techland also talked about how the console’s GPU was holding development back.

ps5-1024x576.jpg

I don’t count the series S as a real next gen console. It’s more like a One X Pro

H . R . 2

I don’t count the series S as a real next gen console. It’s more like a One X Pro
there are certain aspects of it that can be considered next-gen but the overall package and player/dev experience are definitely not.
XB was not upgraded to XSS, rather it was the next-gen experience that got downgraded to XSS

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I used to be anti XSS, but looking at games made so far, it doesnt seem like games are being held back by a 4 tflops GPU. Starfield is running at 1296p on the xsx so its not like it was held back by the xss having to run at 1080p or 1440p. The UE5 demo drops to 1080p on the xsx and they basically couldnt care less about the xss forcing MS to send coalition just to get it to run. Even then they were ok with letting it drop below 533p.

Devs will target the ps5 as base specs. You can see just how many devs use PS5 as the lead platform just like they did last gen with PS4. Hell, rockstar used PS4 devkits instead of PC when developing their games. DF said that the mortal kombat devs also only develop on console devkits likely the PS4 devkits. We know capcom does the same. Almost 80% of all console software sales are on the PS consoles for most of these titles. Even if XSS is 60-70% of all xbox sales, thats still only 14%. No one is holding back their vision for an audience that small. Baldur Gate 3 not shipping on xbox is simply proof that devs will skip the platform altogether.

Fable looks stunning and doesnt seem to be held back by the series s. you can see how 99% of the games straight up skip ray tracing on the series s. once more next gen games designed around UE5 come out, it will become the norm to have series s games just run below sub 540p resolution with some smart cutbacks on visual fidelity. metro and matrix already do.

Edder1

It is a next gen console for 1080p
That's hard argument to make when we even saw a number of cross gen games on it dip below 1080p. I'm also not even talking about first batch of "next gen" games that we haven't yet seen, I'm talking about in 3+ years time when current gen hardware will be pushed hard. Just see how Xbox One was struggling to run games at stable 800p30 towards the end and it was far more of a proper hardware for its time than Series S is for this gen.

Last edited:
That's hard argument to make when we even saw a number of cross gen games on it dip below 1080p. I'm also not even talking about first batch of "next gen" games that we haven't yet seen, I'm talking about in 3+ years time when current gen hardware will be pushed hard. Just see how Xbox One was struggling to run games at stable 800p30 towards the end and it was far more of a proper hardware for its time than Series S is for this gen
Xbox series x is 12 tflops Xbox one x is 6 tflops, just like that Xbox series s is double the power of Xbox one

Last edited:

charles8771

That's hard argument to make when we even saw a number of cross gen games on it dip below 1080p. I'm also not even talking about first batch of "next gen" games that we haven't yet seen, I'm talking about in 3+ years time when current gen hardware will be pushed hard. Just see how Xbox One was struggling to run games at stable 800p30 towards the end and it was far more of a proper hardware for its time than Series S is for this gen.
What you expected when the PS4 and Xbox One were low end PCs when they came out in 2013?

Radeon HD 6970 from 2010 manage to be more powerful in paper

Edder1

Xbox series x is 12 tflops Xbox one x is 6 tflops, just like that Xbox series s is double the power of Xbox one
Teraflop math doesn't correlate to performance. Series S has serious memory issues, a number of industry veterans have talked about it. Like I said, it's struggling to keep some demanding cross gen games at stable 1080p, not sure what else is there to say really.

Last edited:
Forgot cross gen starfield plays 1440p 30 fps while Xbox series x is 4k 30 fps that's enough to say it's 1080p next gen we have to wait avatar frontiers of Pandora resolution to judge it
Teraflop math doesn't correlate to performance. Series S has serious memory issues, a number of industry veterans have talked about it. Like I said, it's struggling to keep some demanding cross gen games at stable 1080p, not sure what else is there to say really.

Edder1

Forgot cross gen starfield plays 1440p 30 fps while Xbox series x is 4k 30 fps that's enough to say it's 1080p next gen we have to wait avatar frontiers of Pandora resolution to judge it
Starfield is just one game and not the most next gen visually let's be honest. I think Starfield is competent looking for its scope and has appealing art direction, but it's no graphical powerhouse. We also don't know if that 1440p is locked, if it's dynamic, what the average resolution is and how far it can dip. It can be like when devs say their game will run at 4K and the only time it can hit 4K in the actual game is when you're looking at the sky with nothing going on.

Look, we can argue here all day back and forth, but really none of us know more than industry veterans who have worked on hardware all their lives.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It is a real screenshot, not art work.

20230719_182441.jpg

The night time stuff is looking very legit. This looks sick, and will look hot af on a sexy OLED. Hype not completely dead yet afterall.

We will be getting more tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Judgement Day

It's cool that it's a real screenshot but it doesn’t really excite me one way or the other. A scene like this I would have to see in motion to determine how impressive it actually is. But I agree 100% tomorrow is judgment day.

alloush

So

Would the suit look better as a high res scrotum? I get the suit is supposed to be oily or squid ink like but it doesn't appear too different from other renditions of Venom.
I know this isn't a real game.

Yo what the hell is that concept trailer? This looks fire, man!

SlimySnake

It is a real screenshot, not art work.

20230719_182441.jpg

The night time stuff is looking very legit. This looks sick, and will look hot af on a sexy OLED. Hype not completely dead yet afterall.

We will be getting more tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Judgement Day

Insomniac has released a lot of bullshots over the years. dont believe their lies.

Spider-Man-PC.jpg

marvels-spider-man-2-peter-parker-mech-suit-official.jpg

FXkFst3UYAAYj_h

Du1qOSmXgAAPVQD

Meanwhile gameplay:

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20181225042305.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20181229060433.png

Credit to Turk1993 Turk1993

SlimySnake

Reckon the main team working on Wolverine? If that’s the case then it doesn’t make any sense to do that since Spidey is their flagship title that is loved by millions whereas Wolverine is still an unreleased game that might not see the same success as Spidey did.
Nah, the Miles team is working on Wolverine. Thats the B team.

The A team wasted two and a half years on ratchet and didnt leave themselves enough time to upgrade the visuals or give this a true Uncharted 2/Assassins Creed 2 caliber leap.

That and the fact that they are now effectively a three team studio with another team working on an MP game. So its possible all the best talent is split across 3 teams instead of one team with all the talent working on one project.

A spiderman sequel with 5 years of dev time and all of the 450 staff working on it wouldve looked way better and be more or less equally ambitious as something like starfield, zelda totk or final fantasy 16. Instead, its going to end up as a last gen iterative sequel like GOW. At this point, i dont even care about the visuals. its shocking how they have done nothing to innovate in the gameplay department.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
An Insomniac dev that worked on the scene. The reason why I don’t particularly like it is because it is in direct contrast to how lighting was treated in the first trailer where everything was grounded and no overexposed look. There is no depth here. I really hope this is just a bad shot.

Edder1

Reckon the main team working on Wolverine?
Sony would demand that their main team works on Spiderman, it's far bigger property than Wolverine. I would imagine that team that worked on Ratchet is the one that is working on Wolverine with maybe some new additions and part of A team that is no longer needed on Spiderman.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This guy understands what I'm talking about

What are these people even talking about.
This is a bullshot obviously but it's strange because it looks kinda bad.
Licker in RE2 remake looks better than this. The teeth look flat, lighting looks flat and the texture is flat. I understand it should be slimy but the style is off. Especially comparing to initial trailer.
4:40 for the licker

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It's not a real next gen console, just a refreshed One X as you mentioned. I think we gonna see it struggle real bad past 2026 when current gen hardware will be pushed to the max.
?? So what makes a system next Gen? Is it resolution? Is it a multiplier of power? Because while it may not be a particular powerful "Gen 9" machine, it sports "Gen 9" cpu, modern feature set supporting gpu, modern storage medium, and it's ram setup is a step above the "Gen 8" machines (besides X1X).

An Insomniac dev that worked on the scene. The reason why I don’t particularly like it is because it is in direct contrast to how lighting was treated in the first trailer where everything was grounded and no overexposed look. There is no depth here. I really hope this is just a bad shot.

I think it's just meant to look as shiny as possible to give off some next gen vibes. The next trailer will be all at night but I wish it started during day then turns into night.

I want to see daytime so I can tell if they've improved it or not. Gonna be hard to tell at night which makes things look better. Remember the setpiece in Miles Morales on the bridge? That was the "wow" moment for me when Sony first showed off that game. It looked amazing in those conditions.

?? So what makes a system next Gen? Is it resolution? Is it a multiplier of power? Because while it may not be a particular powerful "Gen 9" machine, it sports "Gen 9" cpu, modern feature set supporting gpu, modern storage medium, and it's ram setup is a step above the "Gen 8" machines (besides X1X).

The totality of the system is what makes it next gen. Yeah, it's got a good CPU but Series X has always been bottlenecks in other areas, which brings its capabilities down.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think it's just meant to look as shiny as possible to give off some next gen vibes. The next trailer will be all at night but I wish it started during day then turns into night.

I want to see daytime so I can tell if they've improved it or not. Gonna be hard to tell at night which makes things look better. Remember the setpiece in Miles Morales on the bridge? That was the "wow" moment for me when Sony first showed off that game. It looked amazing in those conditions.

Yeah I know you've said you're looking for next gen daytime rendering, but I personally am more interested in how well the night scenes are rendered. Especially in a densely lit metropolitan city environment like NYC. We saw how the Matrix demo faired (very well); if Spider-Man isn't in that ballpark, I simply will not purchase. Even with all it's faults, FFXVI proved what is possible with ambient lighting and shadow quality for night scenes. I refuse to go backwards, especially with a first party game.

Edder1

Weak GPU, paltry memory that's barely an upgrade. Compare Series S to any upgrade in previous gens and It's very obvious it's not a proper gen over gen upgrade. But as I said many times already, these are words that very experienced devs in the industry have reiterated. It's not a couch expert opinion, unlike the opinion that Series S is in fact a competent upgrade.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Weak GPU, paltry memory that's barely an upgrade. Compare Series S to any upgrade in previous gens and It's very obvious it's not a proper gen over gen upgrade. But as I said many times already, these are words that very experienced devs in the industry have reiterated. It's not a couch expert opinion, unlike the opinion that Series S is in fact a competent upgrade.
I mean sure, if you we're just going to conjure up a definition, of what a next Gen machine is, to fit your narrative. Then why not.

Edder1

I mean sure, if you we're just going to conjure up a definition, of what a next Gen machine is, to fit your narrative. Then why not.
Lol. I literally said to you to look at what gen over gen upgrades have been in the past and you spun that around as "your narrative". If you're not ready to be honest in a discussion then please not get involved in one, at least not with me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This guy understands what I'm talking about

its a bullshot. thats why it looks drawn. they tinkered with it so much that it looks nothing like it would in the game.

if they release the cutscene tomorrow, you will be able to see the difference.

Remember, this is the bullshot they released.
1686257126_marvels-spider-man-2-5.jpg

This is what the game looks like while flying:

spiderman-2-ps5.gif

This is what they said Miles will look like in the game.

miles_morales_spider_man_hero_3840.jpg

This is what he looked like in the final game.

Marvels-SpiderMan-Miles-Morales-launch-trailer.jpg

They touch up and photoshop even their cutscene screenshots.

Jstevenson used an asterisk to suggest that it was a screenshot.

F1bLLGVWYAMbnsv

He should've instead said, "screenshot" in air quotes.

They are not the only studio to do this. ND released this screenshot of Abby after the Paris Game Show reveal of her hanging scene.

d20171027_01_T2_PGW_Portraits_04_02.jpg

Cutscene Abby:

Abby_TLOUII.jpg

Gameplay Abby:

abby-last-of-us-game-640f381ed4373.jpeg

Maybe they are using PS6 with 4090s to render these shots.

Top Bottom