• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Okay I’m noticing a pattern. You have this presupposition that GOWR contains the apotheosis of gameplay mechanics and combat even against normal grunts and this is not true.

I can press light attack over and over, dodge when they go red, block break for the few enemies that require it when they go blue. And just spam runic attacks to win literally every single fight. The game can easily be mash mash mash, spam runic attacks to the end credits. Exactly like FF16 actually. So not exactly a hierarchy of gameplay mechanics.

The rest of what you’re saying seems to a repetitive assertion of “hey here’s this awesome jaw dropping boss fight everyone and their mother loved when it came out and was really exciting to play through in real time” then, “yeeeeeeah well I say the mechanics were shitty QTE simplistic garbage. Bad mechanics. Mechanics weren’t good. So uhh yeah that’s just neutralized now” then praising the GOWR mechanics for some reason.

Even though the big lizard, Thor, Odin, the Valkyries, and I think even hemindall and fenrir but I can’t recall completely all used literal QTEs
No i know that gow is not perfect, but there is a clear difference in gameplay between kronos and a berserker, if you can't notice it, then good for you.
And it is like that in most games that have both humanoids boss and large creatures, nobody is gonna pic the gaping dragon (or any dragon fight) over artorias or ghael unless you like pussies with fangs:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Honestly, the only game that does big creature fighting right is monster hunter imo.

Let's just cut it here since we are making spoilers and the topic is about graphic not gameplay.

Last edited:
Need to see more, but as of now the texture quality looks really bad? Thought they would be able to afford 4k-8k textures with the whole nvme texture streaming crap.
qTHur2B.jpg

What it looked like before

MSM2_Reveal_Venom_4K_Legal-scaled.jpg

MSM2_Reveal_Attack_4K_Legal-scaled.jpg

MSM2_Reveal_Heroes_4K_Legal-scaled.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Need to see more, but as of now the texture quality looks really bad? Thought they would be able to afford 4k-8k textures with the whole nvme texture streaming crap.
qTHur2B.jpg

Those were egregious bullshots on the same tier as the Killzone 2 E3 trailer.

I don’t think the game will look as abysmal as it did at the showcase though.

It will fall somewhere in between the showcase and those bullshots, which is basically what the new Venom shots show.

Still highly disappointing, but I’m not as furious as I was a month ago.

I’m gonna have to force myself to start liking things again or I’ll be done with this hobby by the end of the year.

I basically hate everything

Last edited:
its a bullshot. thats why it looks drawn. they tinkered with it so much that it looks nothing like it would in the game.

if they release the cutscene tomorrow, you will be able to see the difference.

Remember, this is the bullshot they released.
1686257126_marvels-spider-man-2-5.jpg

This is what the game looks like while flying:

spiderman-2-ps5.gif

This is what they said Miles will look like in the game.

miles_morales_spider_man_hero_3840.jpg

This is what he looked like in the final game.

Marvels-SpiderMan-Miles-Morales-launch-trailer.jpg

They touch up and photoshop even their cutscene screenshots.

Jstevenson used an asterisk to suggest that it was a screenshot.

F1bLLGVWYAMbnsv

He should've instead said, "screenshot" in air quotes.

They are not the only studio to do this. ND released this screenshot of Abby after the Paris Game Show reveal of her hanging scene.

d20171027_01_T2_PGW_Portraits_04_02.jpg

Cutscene Abby:

Abby_TLOUII.jpg

Gameplay Abby:

abby-last-of-us-game-640f381ed4373.jpeg

Maybe they are using PS6 with 4090s to render these shots.
The final game looks exactly like that cutscene screen cap from Naughty Dog…

GymWolf

Gold Member
Some people: you don't have a real venom in real life so how do you know it looks bad?

Also the same people probably: why do the venom movies have such shitty cg (while still looking eons better than spidey 2)

Pick one folks.

shamoomoo

Some people: you don't have a real venom in real life so how do you know it looks bad?

Also the same people probably: why do the venom movies have such shitty cg (while still looking eons better than spidey 2)

Pick one folks.
How is that comparable? If the Spider Man movie was 100% CGI then Venoms designed would stick out more but you are comparing real actors with a CG character vs a game where everything is the same.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How is that comparable? If the Spider Man movie was 100% CGI then Venoms designed would stick out more but you are comparing real actors with a CG character vs a game where everything is the same.
Because if you criticize the cg, then you have in your mind an idea of how a real venom should look, the venom in spidey 2 looks like a piece of plastic not something organic, simple as that.

nemiroff

Gold Member
qTHur2B.jpg

What is up with developers releasing mostly pics with DOF and obvious team effort editorializing. It's so fucking stupid. Doesn't matter who it is, we should agree to keep that shit off these channels.

Edit: No offense whatsoever to the author of the post btw, it's just a general observation.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Because if you criticize the cg, then you have in your mind an idea of how a real venom should look, the venom in spidey 2 looks like a piece of plastic not something organic, simple as that.
Maybe. But we don't have a 1-to-1 version of Venom and similar characters so their real world counter parts look okay-ish but not the same as we see in the movies,where as video games are usually grounded in all of its elements.

A Venom costume IRL looks less jarring than Venom movie character next to a real actor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm playing Metro Exodus on PS5 and the lighting is very good, I wish more studios would go the way of global illumination and not so much with raytracing reflections.

This creature looks great too.
HLZQiH7.gif
I've finished this game MANY times on pc. It is amazing. I love this game so much despite very flawed characters fucking always talking and "everything is an animation" crap.
I've got ps5 version too but the sound is really weird.

How are you finding it? Are you playing with 3d audio or something? The sound mix is strange in ps5 version. And I find it terrible there is no way to reset settings to default. The aiming never feels right.

Piggoro

I'm playing Metro Exodus on PS5 and the lighting is very good, I wish more studios would go the way of global illumination and not so much with raytracing reflections.

HLZQiH7.gif
A bit of the off-topic: The Exodus is my "go home" nostalgia game when I'm longing for my motherland that I left 10 years ago. It's insanely authentic with designs, props, scenery, mood, etc!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

HLZQiH7.gif
Big creatures were one of the best things in that game.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
qTHur2B.jpg

I guess I've completely lost the plot because I have no idea why twitter is going crazy over that venom shot. It's entire levels below the last picture with Peter and Miles which to me is the best shot of the game so far. I really hope they just processed it to hell and it looks nothing like the actual in-game scene.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I guess I've completely lost the plot because I have no idea why twitter is going crazy over that venom shot. It's entire levels below the last picture with Peter and Miles which to me is the best shot of the game so far. I really hope they just processed it to hell and it looks nothing like the actual in-game scene.
Now you know how I felt every time you praised TLOU Part 1. This is what you get.

HLZQiH7.gif
If you play this with RTGI off, it will look the same. RTGI doesnt change the actual lighting, just how accurate it is.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I just didn't say anything. I think people just want to hype themselves up.

ChiefDada ChiefDada you really think this looks next gen? Exactly the same as miles morales.

Do you watched trailers on your phone? Or small screen? Or on a 50” + TV in 4k?

You must be kidding

This is easily above MM in so many ways.

The lights comming out of the Windows at night are so much better, stronger, makes the whole City feels more alive and real.

But I guess its the Wollwerine game that they will much more effort

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Good lord @ those pre-Half-life 2 facial animations for cinematic cut scenes, lol. This has to be the worst art style since Fortnite, if we even give them the benefit of the doubt and accept that they're really going for a style beyond MCU realism to excuse everything looking flat out wrong and bad.

Forbidden West isn't even hiding being crossgen and still looks way better (and has an actually good art style).
you really think this looks next gen?
Dudes were cumming over the Venom "screenshot" and the stupid low quality, compressed, distant off screen twitter clip, do you really except any of them to acknowledge otherwise? Next gen starts when Sony says it does my dude, just wait this out if you want reasonable discussion...

Yes guys, we all watched the video, you don't have to take screencaps and gifs of it as if you're showing something we haven't seen, what is up with that, the video is embedded right there to watch, rewatch, rewind, fast forward, pause or whatever you want in 4K, we don't need any help.

Last edited:

setoman

I don't blame you brother but I've seen enough to know that this is the best looking game ever! They nailed the lighting! NEXT GEN IS HERE!
I'm not sure what you were watching brother, but at time-stamp 0:30
This Last Gen reveal for PS4/XBO has the same exact location and looks way better. The GI actually seems to be the weakest part of the demo followed by the geometry.

thedivisionimg3.png

thedivisionimg2.png

Top Bottom