• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

And the characters look like the last 2 games just with different hair styles
4.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604052018.png

16.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604050503.png

7.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604051836.png

P⁰
Are you seriously going to be focusing on Peter parker's ballsack rendering when you're in the middle of a fight with supervillain criminals who can knock you out in 2-3 hits?
They push up those cutscene visuals because it's practical- those are the moments of the game where you take a break from the insane combat and swinging and relax to watch the story unfold. You can better notice small details in the visuals that they typically push to the max as opposed to real gameplay when everything is a blur for one reason or another

Besides, cutscenes are still rendered in real time, so they're still a graphical showcase of the system regardless of if you're actually playing the game or not.

Did you just argue, in the most absurd way, that cutscene visuals are more important than gameplay? I think you did.

Here we go again, it's another LoU Part 1 situation. Sony phoning it in and you guys don't want to see it.

There is only one person doing that, and we all know he was going to do it. Everyone else knows this still looks last gen as fuck.

We can make cutscene to cutscene comparisons and game looks virtually identical to previous titles in cutscenes.

If only that were true. Look at the other thread on GaF, everyone already pretending this is a next gen game. This thread will be next just like LoU1 remake. 6 months after Spiderman 2 releases they will start to be able to admit to themselves how cross gen the game was all along.

Edder1

Lol, am I really seeing people call this Spiderman 2 next gen? It looks like a bit of an upgrade over MM and that's about it. The amount of coping and simping some people do is exactly the reason why these publishers and devs get away with such pathetic excuse of visual upgrades. Mary Jane looks like a 40 year old now and what's up with all those zoomer hairstyles?? I was laughing watching that trailer because it's an absolute joke.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
except that it's not those 2 that make bullshots look better than the final product. its all the extra lighting, shadows, details that they photoshop in after the fact.
Its that plus the 2 things I mentioned. Also in this screenshot, film grain. its more so the effects than the lighting.

Film grain, motion blur, C/A, DOF, etc will make any still image look good.

I tend to like all of the above in my games too. I crank them way up if the option is there.
The ambient lighting is so good here. That's why I'm not upset about the minimal upgrade to character models. It's how the light interacts with the characters and objects that matter to me. Glorious.

7vTIpGu.jpg
Yeah the lighting does look nice in this scene, will pop on an OLED.

Even in Miles the indoor sections with red and blue lighting + Ray Tracing were the best looking parts of the game.

Msamy

Just like i expected, some great looking scenes but mostly average like the other trailer. And WTF happend to Venom, he looks like fucking Craig man holly shit those PS3 quality textures
15.jpg

14.jpg

And outside some small scenes it doesn't look better than MM or the remaster, but i noticed that the iq has taking a big hit. Mostly on the eyebrows and here and other things like the venom arms have lots of rough edges.
3.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

And the low quality Spiderman Venom suite is still low res
10.jpg
After this trailer i think this game will end up looking average I really hope that other upcoming sony first party titles will look better than this , I trust guriella , SSM and naughty dogs , also i really hope that wolverine will have better graphics than this , i am really disappointed I didn't expect that major first party studio like insomniac make next gen exclusive spiderman 2 looks last gen compared to upcoming next gen titles from ubisoft like avatar and star wars outlow.

Last edited:

Represent.

Screenshot-2023-07-20-at-9-51-32-PM.png

Im going to force myself into liking this games visuals lol

Ahem....

"Looks great on a big shiny OLED"

Last edited:

setoman

Lol, am I really seeing people call this Spiderman 2 next gen? It looks like a bit of an upgrade over MM and that's about it. The amount of coping and simping some people do is exactly the reason why these publishers and devs get away with such pathetic excuse of visual upgrades. Mary Jane looks like a 40 year old now and what's up with all those zoomer hairstyles?? I was laughing watching that trailer because it's an absolute joke.

The cope Olympics is crazy.

Its obvious when you compare what people said and expected to be next gen years ago versus what they are now calling "next gen".

Represent.

The cope Olympics is crazy.

Its obvious when you compare what people said and expected to be next gen years ago versus what they are now calling "next gen".

We ain't getting that until TLOU 3.

Not a single other developer is talented enough. Otherwise they would have done it already.

TLOU 2 still has better facial animations than current gen games, and nothing has even come close. So why should I have faith we will see it surpassed until they do it themselves.

Last edited:

Edder1

I really hope that other upcoming sony first party titles will look better than this , I trust guriella
Dude, Horizon already looks miles (no pun intended) better than this, we don't even have to wait for anything, lol.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The lighting is nice, but in what way do you think it's actually mroe advance than lighting we have had for atleast 5 years

Hmm since I don't have the tech vocabulary to express as clearly as I would like, I will provide examples of similar scenes between Miles Morales and SM2. The biggest thing for me is characters and objects having an unappealing level of light uniformity throughout an entire scene aka the shadows aren't partaking to give the scene proper level of depth.

Compare the MM street carnival scene with that of SM2. If you recall, people were especially going gaga over this scene during the 2021 PS Showcase (myself included).

Miles Morales
rTJaZ6n.jpg
MesSVwz.jpg
JaXUpE4.jpg
Xlyt5D8.jpg
sCeor1i.jpg
PTXwgg4.jpg

SM2

RNpeGYR.jpg
NZ4dfxD.jpg
sFVwv4O.jpg
1HMaatG.jpg
kKNwXZT.jpg
YO7SiUn.jpg
aSYThDG.jpg
2U7JINi.jpg

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying but I don't blame you if you don't. Maybe CamHostage CamHostage or N Neilg can explain what exactly I'm appreciating here?

Exactly this is backed lighting ofcourse it's gonna look good Sony games cutschenes always looks good we have to wait for actual gameplay
Hmm since I don't have the tech vocabulary to express as clearly as I would like, I will provide examples of similar scenes between Miles Morales and SM2. The biggest thing for me is characters and objects having an unappealing level of light uniformity throughout an entire scene aka the shadows aren't partaking to give the scene proper level of depth.

Compare the MM street carnival scene with that of SM2. If you recall, people were especially going gaga over this scene during the 2021 PS Showcase (myself included).

Miles Morales
rTJaZ6n.jpg
MesSVwz.jpg
JaXUpE4.jpg
Xlyt5D8.jpg
sCeor1i.jpg
PTXwgg4.jpg

SM2

RNpeGYR.jpg
NZ4dfxD.jpg
sFVwv4O.jpg
1HMaatG.jpg
kKNwXZT.jpg
YO7SiUn.jpg
aSYThDG.jpg
2U7JINi.jpg

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying but I don't blame you if you don't. Maybe CamHostage CamHostage or N Neilg can explain what exactly I'm appreciating here?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Screenshot-2023-07-20-at-9-51-32-PM.png

Im going to force myself into liking this games visuals lol

Nah man, please don't. You should NEVER do this. I know I would never do such a thing. The SSS is failing the entire scene here. We know Insomniac is capable of much better skin rendering. I still don't think they're quite finished here. 3 months is a long time.

Ahem....

"Looks great on a big shiny OLED"

Lol I hate to be that guy but try looking at it on a regular lcd monitor (maybe computer screen) vs an OLED. It won't change the impact of geometry, asset quality, etc. but if you're into good quality lighting and deep blacks it's a pretty significant difference, even without HDR enabled, which will of course take it to next level.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Exactly this is backed lighting ofcourse it's gonna look good Sony games cutschenes always looks good we have to wait for actual gameplay

What does this even mean? Insomniac games have seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay. Minimal if any cinematic lighting swaps. It's been the case for some time now. You're not making any sense.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Miles Morales
rTJaZ6n.jpg
MesSVwz.jpg
JaXUpE4.jpg
Xlyt5D8.jpg
sCeor1i.jpg
PTXwgg4.jpg

SM2

RNpeGYR.jpg
NZ4dfxD.jpg
sFVwv4O.jpg
1HMaatG.jpg
kKNwXZT.jpg
YO7SiUn.jpg
aSYThDG.jpg
2U7JINi.jpg

Gameplay vs cutscene

Have you ever watched ubisoft games their characters looks shit compared to Sony so their cutschenes looks bad, but their environment looks way better than Sony games so in gameplay ubisoft games looks better than Sony games in gameplay
Yep, we're now actually comparing gameplay vs cutscene to try make case for this game... And that cutscene doesn't even look that much better than gameplay of MM. Shambles.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Have you ever watched ubisoft games their characters looks shit compared to Sony so their cutschenes looks bad, but their environment looks way better than Sony games so in gameplay ubisoft games looks better than Sony games in gameplay
there aren't that many Sony games that use Unreal Engine, it's mostly proprietary. the one game i can think of is Returnal which uses Unreal 4.

I literally showed you how there is no change from cinematic lighting to gameplay via timestamped video and you continue to push back without any evidence. I'm all for differences of opinions but you have to bring something to the table. Otherwise, see ya.
Again that scripted event you can't change your cloth here or change into spider man here or do any action other than walk it's easy to create a baked lighting and increase textures here.

CGNoire

I think she just look strange, not really ugly, it looks like aloy, you can see the good looking model but the 1:1 face scan is not there or it was uglified on purpose like they did with aloy, abby etc.

It's 2am over here so maybe i'm just a bit tired, good night fellas.
Its the complete lack of make up.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
No, they are absolutely adding in extra lights to match with specific cutscene angles to make them look as good as possible astleast when it comes to character close ups which you have been posting many of.

I posted many closeups? There's one closeup out of 7 total comparison pictures for SM2. It's not even the closeups that impress me the most.

Lethal01

I posted many closeups? There's one closeup out of 7 total comparison pictures for SM2. It's not even the closeups that impress me the most.
You're right, a closeup would imply the characters face specifically is taking like 10% of the screen, that's not what I meant, my bad.
But the shots you posted were characters focused and the characters were taking most of the shots, during a cutscene.

this makes very easy to add and remove light exactly when needed instead of using more expensive techniques or simply because it looks better than more realsitic lighting.

Anyway, I'm not seeing anything about the lighting or shadows that makes it look far better than other games from last gen. but maybe I'm not looking hard enough, which is why I ask.

Sat on Spider-Man 2 more…

Okay so it did look better than the gameplay reveal. Which looked like shit, still looks like shit, an will always look like shit. But I think we have something of a FF16 thing going on here ultimately

As in some things like last gen as hell (Harry character model, some lighting, some environments) and some things look REALLY bad teetering on PS3 level (venom skin texture) buuuuut I must admit, credit where credit is due, seems like SOME parts do indeed look next generation and PS5 worthy. Just like FF16

Although I don’t know how much credit I can give to hundreds of first party employees, an easy 150M+ budget, and 5 years of dev time looking *SOMETIMES* next gen so….

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Stop shitting on the best looking games we have, SP2 is definitely in the top 5. Start shitting on devs that fail to make it in the top 50 graphics like Halo Infinite.

I'm not sure what you were watching brother, but at time-stamp 0:30
This Last Gen reveal for PS4/XBO has the same exact location and looks way better. The GI actually seems to be the weakest part of the demo followed by the geometry.

thedivisionimg3.png

thedivisionimg2.png
Thay guy creamed his pants after watching the off camera version 🤣 i don't think you'll get much sense from him. Looks good though just not best graphics ever "brother" 😆

CGNoire

SM2 looks like a PS4 game hands down and not even as good as the best looking ones.

That Trailer looks worse than the last one.

Botox Peter
No Make Up MJ
Clay Skin Shader.
Ultra Aliased Low Rez Venom Suits.
Cartoony ass Characters galore.
Flat uninteresting self illuminated effects.

All the male characters sound like they have been neutered.

And dont get me started on the gaslighting by the usual residents here.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Also ...how much you want to bet there will be a "downgrade" in the overall fidelity between this STORY trailer and actual game?

100% It will be small enough for the media and the casuals to forgive and forget but it will be there.
Less fidelity than that is a straight up ps4 game so they can't do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom