• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

That last part man, cracked me up:messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Yeah I know Cory been working on a new IP and it’s been forever. Let’s just hope said IP didn’t start off as a cross-gen. And that game better trump the UE5 demos given how tight-lipped they have been about it and how long they have been working on it. I mean it hasn’t even been announced yet for fuck’s sake.

Having said that, I suddenly lost all the urge and enthusiasm to play GOWR now, lol. I was so looking forward to it seeing how GoW 2018 is one of my favorite games of all time.

GOW Ragnarok is still a high quality, very good game. If you loved 2018 don't let it stop you from playing Ragnarok.

The biggest flaw tho hasn't been mentioned yet: they treat the player like we're idiots in how every single puzzle is ruined by having a companion either flat out tell us how to solve it or telegraph where to go, where to look, etc

It's rediculous levels of insulting out intelligence and dumbing down that aspect of the game. I kinda can't believe they thought this was the way to handle this game. Everything else about the game is pretty much great but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I play it.

What are you talking about? Its not some changes on art direction or missing rain. Its a snap grab from the game that is sent to the marketing department to pretty up.
They only added more sources of lights wich make the the Rain more visible too and the whole scene shines, nothing major

Its possible that this "better" pic is more in line with the final build.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
F1yWnwG.jpg

PFn4T11.jpg
seinfeld-julia-louis-dreyfus.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sony continue to hate good looking women

C6DcqD2.png

They managed to make her even derpier than spidey 1...

Hopefully the hunter dude kills her quickly so i don't have to listen to her telling me how she doesn't need to be saved while i saver her for the 5th time.

Last edited:
Sony continue to hate good looking women

C6DcqD2.png

They managed to make her even derpier than spidey 1...

Hopefully the hunter dude kills her quickly so i don't have to listen to her telling me how she doesn't need to be saved while i saver her for the 5th time.
To be fair if you knew the extent of the wokeness behind the scenes you'd celebrate her even looking that pretty.

also she looked okay in the other scene she was in. Hair rendering looked kinda PS5 worthy too. Its about the only thing that did....

GymWolf

Gold Member
alright. he's here guys. Lets have it, what'd you think of the story trailer as far as graphics go?

Also they're kidding me with the texture resolution on venoms thigh and shoulder right? And Harrys character model? Thats some ps3 shit.
Miles looks the exact same but hey, now he got that jaden smith moronic haircut:lollipop_squinting:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
ChiefDada ChiefDada you really think this looks next gen? Exactly the same as miles morales.

Do you watched trailers on your phone? Or small screen? Or on a 50” + TV in 4k?

I watched it on my OLED. It looks great to me. Damn, really sorry for those who aren't satisfied though. I really thought we'd be on the same page with this one. Oh well back to watching the trailer for the 500th time...

GymWolf

Gold Member
To be fair if you knew the extent of the wokeness behind the scenes you'd celebrate her even looking that pretty.

also she looked okay in the other scene she was in. Hair rendering looked kinda PS5 worthy too. Its about the only thing that did....
She looks like they uglified yet another good looking real life model, i bet slimy left testicle that the model doens't look like that.

I now understand what makes SP2 unimpressive to some of you guys, and that has a lot to do with the fact that Insomniac proprietary engine was originally designed to games like Ratchet so it fits perfectly to puxar type of graphics.

They cant achieve a more pohotorealistic look with their engine no matter what. But that doesnt mean it can not look impressive on a technical level. It can look very impressive in some scenes when everything falls into place, like the night scene gif posted above.

My two cents.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Am I trippin or does Uncharted 4 have better character models?

Some get a gif of drake at the auction scene and compare it to Peter with the entree platter
Horizon 2 npcs with one short line of dialogue that you see for 10 sec are better than anything inside that trailer.

But yeah, pretty sure drake looks better aswell.

alloush

GOW Ragnarok is still a high quality, very good game. If you loved 2018 don't let it stop you from playing Ragnarok.

The biggest flaw tho hasn't been mentioned yet: they treat the player like we're idiots in how every single puzzle is ruined by having a companion either flat out tell us how to solve it or telegraph where to go, where to look, etc

It's rediculous levels of insulting out intelligence and dumbing down that aspect of the game. I kinda can't believe they thought this was the way to handle this game. Everything else about the game is pretty much great but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I play it.
Oh I'm sure I will love it just like I did GoW 2018. In fact, GoW 2018 is one of my favorite games of all time. And I wasn't gonna miss out on GoWR, not a chance. Though I would have loved to go in with a very clear mind but I am late to the party and it is normal for people to talk about it and for me to not go in without any preconceptions since the game was released a while ago.

But yeah I really hate it when they tell us what to do, where to go etc. This is why I love the Uncharted series, they are full of puzzles and stuff and you have to figure out what to do. They give you a hint after a while and they ask you if you want them to show the hint or not. I prefer it that way.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

ChiefDada ChiefDada you really think this looks next gen? Exactly the same as miles morales.

Do you watched trailers on your phone? Or small screen? Or on a 50” + TV in 4k?
I feel like i am taking crazy pills because this looks virtually identical to Miles. I dont even think they upgraded the Peter model. At least, MJ got an upgrade. i have no idea how anyone can look at these character models and think next gen.

the lighting looks so last gen even in cutscenes.

0NPnmSX.jpg
h4CTb6f.jpg
8u06JEA.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh I'm sure I will love it just like I did GoW 2018. In fact, GoW 2018 is one of my favorite games of all time. And I wasn't gonna miss out on GoWR, not a chance. Though I would have loved to go in with a very clear mind but I am late to the party and it is normal for people to talk about it and for me to go in without any preconception since the game was released a while ago.

But yeah I really hate it when they tell us what to do, where to go etc. This is why I love the Uncharted series, they are full of puzzles and stuff and you have to figure out what to do. They give you a hint after a while and they ask you if you want them to show the hint or not. I prefer it that way.
It's not for all the puzzles and they most of the time they just give you an hint, when you have to activate stuff on a certain order (usually the harder type of puzzle) they don't tell you the order, they just tell you that you can do something with a specific object, not optimal but it is not as bad a some people here make it sound.

They are more annoying when they say stupid shit during combat:lollipop_squinting:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I feel like i am taking crazy pills because this looks virtually identical to Miles. I dont even think they upgraded the Peter model. At least, MJ got an upgrade. i have no idea how anyone can look at these character models and think next gen.

the lighting looks so last gen even in cutscenes.

0NPnmSX.jpg
h4CTb6f.jpg
8u06JEA.jpg
I think you are being too harsh...with people that have a limited amount of internet data per months, these pics are heavy AF.

miklonus

I was hoping that Pete would be the guy in that first pic that ChiefDada ChiefDada put up, but instead it's the same lame-ass generically-white-ass Tom Holland-esque face from Spider-Man Remastered. And then Represent. Represent. 's second pic that I quoted confirms it.

Annette O'toole looks like the inspiration for their updated Mary Jane Watson face. I can't join in on the others bashing her redesign, but fuck Tom Holland and that sidekick, Dick Greyson, Robin-esque version of Spider-Man that he plays and everything that it represents.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think you are being too harsh...with people that have a limited amount of internet data per months, these pics are heavy AF.
? These are 1.2 mb jpegs. i made sure not to make them pngs. thats very small considering most gifs posted in this thread are in the 20-30 mb range.

i browse on my lgcx oled so all screencaps are in 4k. but again, if i change the resolution to downgrade to 1080p, people might complain im misrepresenting the game's visuals or something.

GymWolf

Gold Member
? These are 1.2 mb jpegs. i made sure not to make them pngs. thats very small considering most gifs posted in this thread are in the 20-30 mb range.

i browse on my lgcx oled so all screencaps are in 4k. but again, if i change the resolution to downgrade to 1080p, people might complain im misrepresenting the game's visuals or something.
It was a joke, i was expecting a "you had me in the first half not gonna lie" gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

No she doesn't, but sure, she looks better than old womans, warriors without makeup or people beated into a pulp, we really can't win with sony.
Maybe ive been in ohio staring at bland midwestern women for too long, but that chick looks pretty to me. An easy 7/10. most importantly she looks feminine. no masculine features added.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Maybe ive been in ohio staring at bland midwestern women for too long, but that chick looks pretty to me. An easy 7/10. most importantly she looks feminine. no masculine features added.
I think she just look strange, not really ugly, it looks like aloy, you can see the good looking model but the 1:1 face scan is not there or it was uglified on purpose like they did with aloy, abby etc.

It's 2am over here so maybe i'm just a bit tired, good night fellas.

Last edited:
It's official. Some of you guys are infected with "cutscene disease". In the words of Arnold "Stop It!"

Why are we acting like cutscenes are a proper indicator of next gen graphics? They look 50% better than the actual gameplay in almost every Sony game these days and they are 2% of our actual experience playing these games...

Sorry but you can't just declare this as the rebirth of Spiderman 2 after the 10 min of actual gameplay we saw a month ago. At least wait until they show gameplay again before celebrating because there's a damn good chance the game will not deliver on this "hype trailer"!

The graphic is a joke.

I'm as unimpressed as i was with the reveal.

People really lowered their expectations this gen and dev are happy to comply...

Also ...how much you want to bet there will be a "downgrade" in the overall fidelity between this STORY trailer and actual game?

100% It will be small enough for the media and the casuals to forgive and forget but it will be there.

SlimySnake

It's official. Some of you guys are infected with "cutscene disease". In the words of Arnold "Stop It!"

Why are we acting like cutscenes are a proper indicator of next gen graphics? They look 50% better than the actual gameplay in almost every Sony game these days and they are 2% of our actual experience playing these games...

Sorry but you can't just declare this as the rebirth of Spiderman 2 after the 10 min of actual gameplay we saw a month ago. At least wait until they show gameplay again before celebrating because there's a damn good chance the game will not deliver on this "hype trailer"!
There is only one person doing that, and we all know he was going to do it. Everyone else knows this still looks last gen as fuck.

We can make cutscene to cutscene comparisons and game looks virtually identical to previous titles in cutscenes.

miklonus

I just saw the video and...I'm not impressed. Heh, something's wrong when PlayStation first-party games don't look like...PlayStation first-party games. It was the same feeling I got when I saw God Of War Ragnarok and that first shot of Odin's wife, and she was still using PS4 hair.

Again, I can't "stress" how much I hate that fuckin' Tom Holland face they gave him. And even this trailer confirmed it because...it looks like a fuckin' botox face. It looks like a botox face for someone 21. The face barely moves. It has no expressions. The Annette O'Toole Mary-Jane face on second thought doesn't sit well with me either when Remastered Petey looks younger than even Miles Morales, and since Annette O'Toole is old enough to play Tom Welling's mom, the idea of her, even digitally de-aged, doesn't sit right when her boyfriend looks like a boy!

And as someone else said that hair cut of of Miles is unnecessary. I liked his fade, and I hate the animated movie version of him. I don't like sidekicks in general, because they're not their own person, but Spider-Man PS4 was easily my favorite adaptation of Spider-Man in any medium ever, and that included that game's interpretation of Miles Morales.

This game is taking on Sony's worst recent trends. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Just like i expected, some great looking scenes but mostly average like the other trailer. And WTF happend to Venom, he looks like fucking Craig man holly shit those PS3 quality textures
15.jpg

14.jpg

And outside some small scenes it doesn't look better than MM or the remaster, but i noticed that the iq has taking a big hit. Mostly on the eyebrows and here and other things like the venom arms have lots of rough edges.
3.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

And the low quality Spiderman Venom suite is still low res
10.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does it even have subsurface scattering? That's what usually makes facial features look better/smoother/more blended than here, no? Maybe it does, skin pores & stuff don't look as bad as in games without it so maybe it's a different reason the facial and body hair stick out so badly like that, weird.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Are you seriously going to be focusing on Peter parker's ballsack rendering when you're in the middle of a fight with supervillain criminals who can knock you out in 2-3 hits?
They push up those cutscene visuals because it's practical- those are the moments of the game where you take a break from the insane combat and swinging and relax to watch the story unfold. You can better notice small details in the visuals that they typically push to the max as opposed to real gameplay when everything is a blur for one reason or another

Besides, cutscenes are still rendered in real time, so they're still a graphical showcase of the system regardless of if you're actually playing the game or not.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I don't understand this. None of us had a problem critiquing the cutscenes in the previous trailer they released. And the gliding sequence looks like gameplay to me.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Does it even have subsurface scattering? That's what usually makes facial features look better/smoother/more blended than here, no? Maybe it does, skin pores & stuff don't look as bad as in games without it so maybe it's a different reason the facial and body hair stick out so badly like that, weird.

I agree. Subsurface scattering needs more work.

Top Bottom