• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Musilla

HDURo5N.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Very impressive and extremely disheartening to see a money hungry greedy publisher like Take2 allow their devs to make insane visual leaps while Sonys own first party MLB studio is producing last gen trash after 3 entries this gen.

Edder1

Very impressive and extremely disheartening to see a money hungry greedy publisher like Take2 allow their devs to make insane visual leaps while Sonys own first party MLB studio is producing last gen trash after 3 entries this gen.

Animations have definitely improved, but skin rendering and detail is still very basic for a next gen game. Also the game has that cartoony videogame look, the colour pallete is all wrong.

Last edited:
We’ve already told you that the physics leap in Forza Motorsport is bigger than Forza Motorsport 5, 6 and 7 combined. This 48x improvement in tire fidelity results in a more fun and rewarding driving experience with how the car accelerates, corners, and brakes.

We’ve also overhauled our vehicle dynamics including the tire model with soft, medium and hard compounds, realistic suspension, braking and weight modeling that includes fuel and supports ballast adjustments. These improvements add more depth to driving and encourage new players to find and exceed their limits. Finally, there are massive improvements to our AI so it can keep up with the fastest drivers in our community. We’ll have more to share on that later!

Did you watch the last months Forza monthly?
Bruh, what's with the bold? Pretty weird man.... Anyway, the issue with Forza's physics before was not the fidelity but their approach to vehicle physics. From suspension handing, to weight transfer, to grip, you could tell the guys making the game had no idea what they were doing. 48x number is pure marketing garbage that only the most stanish care about. The proof will be in the pudding when we play the game. Leave the marketing for the marketers.

Robbinhood

Banned
Bruh, what's with the bold? Pretty weird man.... Anyway, the issue with Forza's physics before was not the fidelity but their approach to vehicle physics. From suspension handing, to weight transfer, to grip, you could tell the guys making the game had no idea what they were doing. 48x number is pure marketing garbage that only the most stanish care about. The proof will be in the pudding when we play the game. Leave the marketing for the marketers.
Agreed I wouldn't put anything into those marketing specs. They've always touted advanced physics and the games have always controlled weird. Make it fun or make it realistic, Forza has always been neither.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Bruh, what's with the bold? Pretty weird man....
greatbigboldgiphy.gif

Anyway, the issue with Forza's physics before was not the fidelity but their approach to vehicle physics. From suspension handing, to weight transfer, to grip, you could tell the guys making the game had no idea what they were doing. 48x number is pure marketing garbage that only the most stanish care about. The proof will be in the pudding when we play the game. Leave the marketing for the marketers.
Again you didn't watch the last months stream didn't you? The cars where far from ice skating and understeering. The guy literally showed the improvements with data and visuals how much more advanced and realistic the new physics model is compared to previous games. And the physics in the previous titles where fine since they where always simcade and played wonderfully with the pad. Now they take it more serious and aim for realism because they leave the simcade part to Forza Horizon.

Agreed I wouldn't put anything into those marketing specs. They've always touted advanced physics and the games have always controlled weird. Make it fun or make it realistic, Forza has always been neither.
jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

SlimySnake

What's happening here? They ripped the whole IRL "animation"? But then interactivity would be shit.
Custom animations for specific players. not every player moves the same in real life. They are either recording or hand animating specific players movements and shooting mechanics. Think of it like different batting stances in Baseball except they are doing it to gameplay animations. IIRC, they started this last year.

E-Cat

Custom animations for specific players. not every player moves the same in real life. They are either recording or hand animating specific players movements and shooting mechanics. Think of it like different batting stances in Baseball except they are doing it to gameplay animations. IIRC, they started this last year.
But if the gameplay portion is comprised of a bunch of smaller animated modules stiched together, it's pretty impressive how seamless it looks with the real footage. Like, basically identical.

Last edited:

Turk1993

But if the gameplay portion is comprised of a bunch of smaller animated modules, it's pretty impressive how seamless it looks with the real footage. Like, basically identical.
Fifa does this since Fifa 18, they motion captured some big names. The way Ronaldo runs, dribbles and shoots is completely different compared to lets say Messi. They all have unique animations that make them look like the real thing.

Last edited:

alloush

Fifa does this since Fifa 18, they motion captured some big names. The way Ronaldo runs, dribbles and shoots is completely different compared to lets say Messi. They all have unique animations that make them look like the real thing.
EA introduced this tech back in 2021 for FIFA22 with their Hypermotion tech. They made players (2nd division clubs playing full matches + had some superstars who had contracts with EA do it in training sessions) wear suits called Xsens and they captured their movements.

This year though EA took it up a notch (or several) and installed cameras around the stadium which captured the movements of real world players and superstars in real, full 90 minute matches and dumped that into the game. This is their Hypermotion version 3.0.

The tech has a lotta potential but they would be currently held back by current hardware and software (and EA’s vision of creating an arcade experience to appeal for the masses) but in the future this should yield amazing results.

Edder1

This has been plaguing sports games for as far as I can remember. They always have this cartoony look to them with vibrant color pallets.
True, lol. I thought this gen we might finally get rid of that look, but asking that from sports games that have C tier level devs working on them is probably too much. Back in the day there used to be some serious advancement in sports games, but nowadays they're just gambling games with sports skins.

Turk1993

EA introduced this tech back in 2021 for FIFA22 with their Hypermotion tech. They made players (2nd division clubs playing full matches + had some superstars who had contracts with EA do it in training sessions) wear suits called Xsens and they captured their movements.

This year though EA took it up a notch (or several) and installed cameras around the stadium which captured the movements of real world players and superstars in real, full 90 minute matches and dumped that into the game. This is their Hypermotion version 3.0.

The tech has a lotta potential but they would be currently held back by current hardware and software (and EA’s vision of creating an arcade experience to appeal for the masses) but in the future this should yield amazing results.
Yeah it started with Fifa 18 for some big players like Ronaldo. In Fifa 22 they used it for more people to capture more motion.

alloush

True, lol. I thought this gen we might finally get rid of that look, but asking that from sports games that have C tier level devs working on them is probably too much. Back in the day there used to be some serious advancement in sports games, but nowadays they're just gambling games with sports skins.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Yeah it started with Fifa 18 for some big players like Ronaldo. In Fifa 22 they used it for more people to capture more motion.

That’s regular motion capture, Hypermotion tech was introduced back in 2021 for FIFA22: https://www.ea.com/en-au/games/fifa/fifa-22/hypermotion

alloush

Its the same thing just for the whole team now. They all where motion tracking suites 🤷‍♂️
Lol, cmon Turk they aint the same. Read up on the tech. Motion Capture happens in a closed space unlike Hypermotion which is a whole field playing full on 90 mins matches where AI is also used to predict the next animation in the process.

If there is one thing no one can beat me at on these boards it is sports games:messenger_winking_tongue:. Kinda like you with racing games, lol.

Also Arda Guler says hi.

Turk1993

Lol, cmon Turk they aint the same. Read up on the tech. Motion Capture happens in a closed space unlike Hypermotion which is a whole field playing full on 90 mins matches where AI is also used to predict the next animation in the process.
Fair enough.
If there is one thing no one can beat me at on these boards it is sports games:messenger_winking_tongue:.
Outside Fifa 22 and 23 i played every Fifa and UFC game since 04 and had yearly more than 200h on each. So don't downplay my sports game skills buddy.
ronaldo-498-x-449-gif-fz3kuptjubjjghhc.gif

Also Arda Guler says hi.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: merhaba.

setoman

It's really hard to say. On one hand, its on UE5 so its bound to look great, but ive been burned by a lot of AAA devs recently. SSM, respawn, Insomniac, ND, 343i, Infinity Ward, everyone seems to be phoning in this gen. No one at these studios wants to prioritize graphics anymore which is very odd seeing as how graphics are the first thing to get blamed for long development times and delays. On the other hand, it did start dev in 2021 so its probably a 2026 title at best. My guess is that a year before next gen ends, we should begin to see next gen graphics so there is that.
Yeah its seem like publishers and studios just want to do remasters and then remasters of the remasters then remaster of the remasters of the remaster. Then just brush through original new content. Its insane.

But Crystal Dynamics literally have no excuse because the game that they want to make was already made by Epic. The lumen demo is exactly what you spend most of the time in tomb raider doing. The other time is just fighting random enemies. All they have to do is follow the workflow Epic laid out in the demo, swap the echo character with Lara and they can be the people who actually ushers in next gen. Being a big studio and Epic acting as their publisher for the game, they could even get access to the content of that specific demo....Who am I kidding. They are gonna do the least amount of work required to release another run of the mill TR game. Smh.

What's going to be more interesting is seeing games that are coming out next year. Rockstar has all but confirmed a holiday 2024 release of GTA6 to their investors, but if its a 2024 title and not a 2025 or 2026, its likely cross gen.
Not really worried by GTA6, cause even if they don't deliver on the graphics, they game & world simulation will be second to none.
or will have cross gen tech holding it back like most games released so far this gen. Death Stranding 2 is also giving me cross gen vibes.
I actually think DS2 characters looked good, definitely not complaining. Looks a hair above TLOUP2.
But then the environment look cross-gen as hell.
Wolverine is another 2024 title that is made my insomniac so it will likely look mediocre even if its next gen only.
Sigh. Called it two years ago.

Their fascination, if not obsession with native 4k is moronic and holding their visuals back. Use a 1440p base resolution than use TSR or your artificial insemination techniques to get to 4k. 99% of the people can barely tell the difference.
Oh for-sure wolverine will look nothing like the reveal. It will look like a copy/paste spiderman.
The thing is, I don't even think they are actually chasing native 4k.
I honestly thing its them trying to pump out as much games as they can and the consequences of that is they put no effort or time to actually make it look good.
So its like hit randomize and generate, change a few textures, add a few combo moves then sprinkle story on top and viola. New game release.

With them making so much money off marvel games, i don't see them actually making true next gen games this gen. its sad but its true.

I'm not a developer so I don't know what the resource cost is of nanite but I do know that Remnant 2 running on UE5 is running at 720P on the next gen consoles.
Don't think the next Tomb Raider wil be close to that trailer. We sadly won't match CG trailers from last gen on PS5 and Series X.
Lumen in the land of nanite using outdated lumen GI ran native 1440p @ 40FPS. So its definitely possible.

Last edited:

alloush

Fair enough.

Outside Fifa 22 and 23 i played every Fifa and UFC game since 04 and had yearly more than 200h on each. So don't downplay my sports game skills buddy.
ronaldo-498-x-449-gif-fz3kuptjubjjghhc.gif

:messenger_tears_of_joy: merhaba.
I tried getting into the UFC games but couldn’t, same reason I cannot get into these fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter today cuz they’re all button mashing fest that require no skill (though I used to adore the Mortal Kombat games on Sega)

Last edited:

setoman

We are talking about sports games but Its actually pretty crazy how shooting games get overlooked and never get mentioned in graphical discussions. We focus way too much on action/adventure games.

Star Wars Battlefront 1 is easily TOP 4 Best Looking Game of All-Times even by today's standards.
You couldn't watch this entire video and tell me this doesn't look better than 99.99% of games released today.
Look at the amount of effort the devs put into this. Taking over 100,000 photogrammetry photos.
This is when devs actually still cared about graphics.

If this was revealed at gamecom as a single player action-adventure game? Everyone would call it next-gen!
Yet its a 2015 game.

I mean look at 50 secs to 1:20 sec and 3:50, then 5:00, its just insane!

We are talking about sports games but Its actually pretty crazy how shooting games get overlooked and never get mentioned in graphical discussions. We focus way too much on action/adventure games.

Star Wars Battlefront 1 is easily TOP 4 Best Looking Game of All-Times even by today's standards.
You couldn't watch this entire video and tell me this doesn't look better than 99.99% of games released today.
Look at the amount of effort the devs put into this. Taking over 100,000 photogrammetry photos.

If this was revealed at gamecom as a single player action-adventure game? Everyone would call it next-gen!
Yet its a 2015 game.

GodDAMN those early PS4 days were something else. Diminishing returns crowd was silent as fuck. Crickets chirping and everything.

I think we were all hoping for that again but this first 3 years has been so goddamn barren. I’m on the PS store looking for a next Gen only experience to download and it’s all crossgen garbage. Sometimes I feel like I can count all the worthwhile next Gen only games on one hand and have fingers left over

CGNoire

Meh. Them playing back high quality animation data in a sports game is pedestrian shit. The characters are still miles deep in the Uncanny Valley with that shit skin shader, those god awefull facial animations and clothing thats static as fuck. Wheres the cloth animation from NBA14k?. Total downgrade in that department. The only real upgrade this game got was its crowds.

Salz01

Yet its a 2015 game.

Well…time for me to boot up Battlefront again tomorrow night.

PeteBull

Yet its a 2015 game.

Yup game was and still is a looker, not my genre even tho im big SW fan so i didnt play, but visuals/sounds wise it still holds up xD
Edit: Only thing that is give away of it not being next-gen would be that visible pop-in in the later phase of the vid from 6:00 onwards but i think for 2015 game looking like it does, especially multiplayer shooter, we can forgive pop-in in driving/flying sections .

Last edited:

alloush

Yet its a 2015 game.

I remember when shooting games used to set the bar graphically back in the day. I used to anxiously wait for the release of the next shooting game just to see the graphics. Nowadays they are all about recycling shit, no innovation in that department whatsoever.

Yet its a 2015 game.

And proof you can make graphically impressive games that stand toe to toe with the best at 60 fps.
If it were up to me, every quality mode in a game should be 60 fps and performance mode (if it's included) should be 120 fps.

alloush

For non-technical people like myself can someone translate what all this means in layman’s terms? Seems like a bug jump from the base PS5.

miklonus

they can be the people who actually ushers in next gen
It is August, 2023, Thursday the 17th to be exact, and we are still talking about this current generation being "ushered in"? And people think a "pro" console for this current generation is gonna help things?
GodDAMN those early PS4 days were something else.
Those early PS4 days, every PS4 day, had future-forward-thinking tech. We have games for PS5 designed to work on PS4, yet people think a "PRO"....is supposed to fix things.
I think we were all hoping for that again but this first 3 years has been so goddamn barren. I’m on the PS store looking for a next Gen only experience to download and it’s all crossgen garbage. Sometimes I feel like I can count all the worthwhile next Gen only games on one hand and have fingers left over
Couldn't have said it better myself. I constantly say the same thing myself. Batman Arkham Knight didn't need a pro. Infamous Second Son didn't need a pro. Sure, and obviously, pro helped things in several departments, but overall the PS4 had games that could only run on the PS4. The PS4 generation wasn't worried about or thinking about the PS3. We still got games worried about the PS4! Thursday, August mothafuckin' 17th, 2023, and we're worrying about the PS4, STILL!

Lie to me and tell me how a PS5 pro is gonna fix this. As soon as that comes out, y'all will be talking about the 6, not even allowing the pro 5 to last for a week. SlimySnake SlimySnake constantly reminds me/us why we don't even have developers/publishers taking advantage of the current generation's advantages, and we expect them to just finally get it right when the fucking pro hits? Are people ignoring everything Snake says? Are people ignoring common sense?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Was watching Midway last night and the big war scenes just made me depressed because we havent seen anything like this 22 years after Medal of Honor Allied Assault's Saving Private Ryan inspired Normandy beach landing, and 20 years after Call of Duty's Enemy At the Gates inspired stalingrad charge. I watched the DF review of Modern Warfare 2 and they have no epic war scene. Instead they had an upside down chase sequence with you hanging upside down from a helicopter shooting at trucks on a highway. A ship setpiece inspired by Uncharted 3 with containers going back and forth in a storm. And an open world sniper level, yay?

Uncharted 2 and 3 had brought us so close to matching Hollywood, but almost 15 years later, it feels like we are decades behind. And I dont mean visuals, just the scale and ambition is completely MIA in games nowadays where devs just want to make copy pasta side quests for 100 hour snoozefest instead of anything even remotely ambitious.

Id rather have PS4 quality visuals if I can get some epic war scenes with hundreds of AI planes or soldiers. It was so disappointing to see FF16 tease big war scenes and then just completely fail to deliver on that scale. I get it. Game development is hard. But games are taking 5-6 years to make nowadays anyway. So instead of wasting 6 years on 200 fetch quests, maybe spend that time working on AI systems that can handle more than 10 enemies on screen at once?

It is downright embarrassing tbh.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

For non-technical people like myself can someone translate what all this means in layman’s terms? Seems like a bug jump from the base PS5.
RedGamingTech is a fraud. Dont listen to anything he says. He was wrong about every single thing in the PS5 leaks.

The console according to leaked specs is looking to be roughly 70% more powerful so something like the first UE5 demo that ran at 1440p 30 fps will now run at 1800p 30 fps. Matrix which at its lowest DRS ran at 1080p 30 fps at times will now run more consistently at 1440p 30 fps while its 1620p highs will likely go up above 1800p.

Dont expect a generational leap or even a PS4 Pro like 2x leap. AMD has completely dropped the ball with RDNA 3, and that will affect the PS5 Pro's performance. All this nonsense over better RT is just that. There is no magical solution. People said the same thing about the PS5 having secret RT sauce and it turned out to be the same thing AMD used in RDNA2 GPUs.

miklonus

SlimySnake SlimySnake , every time you make a post, I wonder "How is a PS5 pro gonna fix this? They're not even TARGETING PS5/Series X specs. Games still have physics engines with PS4 in mind, no physics engines that run on PS5/Series X/PC only, and people think a pro is gonna solve all of this. The pro for the PS4 enhanced resolutions, and frame rates, but the base quality was still there to run on the base consoles.

It kills me that people think a pro is gonna save the day. Slimy, your posts are a constant refute of that.

Was watching Midway last night and the big war scenes just made me depressed because we havent seen anything like this 22 years after Medal of Honor Allied Assault's Saving Private Ryan inspired Normandy beach landing, and 20 years after Call of Duty's Behind Enemy Lines inspired stalingrad charge. I watched the DF review of Modern Warfare 2 and they have no epic war scene. Instead they had an upside down chase sequence with you hanging upside down from a helicopter shooting at trucks on a highway. A ship setpiece inspired by Uncharted 3 with containers going back and forth in a storm. And an open world sniper level, yay?

Uncharted 2 and 3 had brought us so close to matching Hollywood, but almost 15 years later, it feels like we are decades behind. And I dont mean visuals, just the scale and ambition is completely MIA in games nowadays where devs just want to make copy pasta side quests for 100 hour snoozefest instead of anything even remotely ambitious.

Id rather have PS4 quality visuals if I can get some epic war scenes with hundreds of AI planes or soldiers. It was so disappointing to see FF16 tease big war scenes and then just completely fail to deliver on that scale. I get it. Game development is hard. But games are taking 5-6 years to make nowadays anyway. So instead of wasting 6 years on 200 fetch quests, maybe spend that time working on AI systems that can handle more than 10 enemies on screen at once?

Seems like no one in the industry has the juice. The fire. The drive. Besides Todd Howard now I guess.

Gaming used to be so much better. Games today not only lack graphical ambition, but also lack any narrative or action ambition as well. I’m still not over the Thor fights in GOW:R and I don’t think I ever will be. I was actually just replaying the story (talk about a game you should only play through once) and got to that first fight and my god what a travesty.

It’s so boring. You’re just waiting for the QTE and movie moment in between little itty bitty arenas about as small as where a 5 year old would host their birthday party. The exact. Same. Team. Showed more ambition 4 years prior with the baulder fights. Both of them.

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake , every time you make a post, I wonder "How is a PS5 pro gonna fix this? They're not even TARGETING PS5/Series X specs. Games still have physics engines with PS4 in mind, no physics engines that run on PS5/Series X/PC only, and people think a pro is gonna solve all of this. The pro for the PS4 enhanced resolutions, and frame rates, but the base quality was still there to run on the base consoles.

It kills me that people think a pro is gonna save the day. Slimy, your posts are a constant refute of that.
PS5 Pro isnt going to fix anything. But I think eventually devs will try to take advantage of these GPUs, SSDs and CPUs and thats when you are going to see some really low res 1080p games on the base PS5. Thats when the 1440p PS5 Pro is going to become very enticing to those of us who still want a higher IQ.

Battlefield devs released this in their next gen showcase 3 years ago so they must have had plans to do something like this.

5ka60P4.gif

They couldnt do it for BF2042 probably because it was cross gen so hopefully the next one is closer to this.

It is August, 2023, Thursday the 17th to be exact, and we are still talking about this current generation being "ushered in"? And people think a "pro" console for this current generation is gonna help things?

Those early PS4 days, every PS4 day, had future-forward-thinking tech. We have games for PS5 designed to work on PS4, yet people think a "PRO"....is supposed to fix things.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I constantly say the same thing myself. Batman Arkham Knight didn't need a pro. Infamous Second Son didn't need a pro. Sure, and obviously, pro helped things in several departments, but overall the PS4 had games that could only run on the PS4. The PS4 generation wasn't worried about or thinking about the PS3. We still got games worried about the PS4! Thursday, August mothafuckin' 17th, 2023, and we're worrying about the PS4, STILL!

Lie to me and tell me how a PS5 pro is gonna fix this. As soon as that comes out, y'all will be talking about the 6, not even allowing the pro 5 to last for a week. SlimySnake SlimySnake constantly reminds me/us why we don't even have developers/publishers taking advantage of the current generation's advantages, and we expect them to just finally get it right when the fucking pro hits? Are people ignoring everything Snake says? Are people ignoring common sense?
Literally 3 things have impressed me all Gen. Demon Souls in 30FPS mode. FF16 boss fights. And burning shores photorealistic clouds. A PS3 remake. A goddamn next gen exclusive $20 DLC of a cross gen PS4 ass game. And then FF16

Last gen oh my god you had the first parties and third parties coming out so strong man. Even though I didn’t own a XB1 I could look over to the other team even and see Ryse Son of Rome. You had Witcher. Batman. Star Wars. Order. Killzone. Infamous. Uncharted. Just off the top of my head. Games that would blow up a PS3. You’d boot them up on a PS3 and they’d run at 3 FPS before a total system exe crash. Now even games I think are next gen I still go “hmmmm. They could probably reduce those textures and take it down to 900p and the PS4 could run it”

Paul's leak aside as I don't think he's super reliable, other more reliable leakers have mentioned specs so...

It'll be close to or more than double the raw GPU power, along with a huge boost in CPU power jumping from Zen 2 to Zen 4. It's also plucking RT features from RDNA 4 which includes HW acceleration for BVH traversal which is what Nvidia does.

What this means is we should get more 60 FPS options on next-gen titles, and I expect more PS5 first part titles to have more RT features like RTGI for first party titles.

PeteBull

Its all speculations, we know ps5pr0 is happening but its hard to estimate how powerful it will actually be, i can tell its speculations coz they dont know on what manufacturing process console APU gonna be made, and thats crucial for console form factor, since it cant draw more than 220W of power, they speculating about 4 or 5nm process but logically speaking nvidia's rtx 40xx series is already running on improved 5nm process and that launched last year november, so for holidays 2024 or maybe even sometime in 2025 its expected for ps5pr0 to be made on smaller node, maybe even 3nm(those are my speculations but im using logics here, sony isnt nintendo to give their customers some outdated tech).

TLDR we need to wait for tmsc till they make 3nm process node usable/profitable, then we need to know whats amd's rdna 3,5 or 4 archi, then we can draw conclusions from both of those to roughly guess how strong ps5pr0 could be, again using logic in layman terms it should be around the jump of base ps4 to ps4pr0 so at least 2x stronger, but we need probably year longer to get official info/specs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Seems like no one in the industry has the juice. The fire. The drive. Besides Todd Howard now I guess.

Gaming used to be so much better. Games today not only lack graphical ambition, but also lack any narrative or action ambition as well. I’m still not over the Thor fights in GOW:R and I don’t think I ever will be. I was actually just replaying the story (talk about a game you should only play through once) and got to that first fight and my god what a travesty.

It’s so boring. You’re just waiting for the QTE and movie moment in between little itty bitty arenas about as small as where a 5 year old would host their birthday party. The exact. Same. Team. Showed more ambition 4 years prior with the baulder fights. Both of them.
I was actually wrong about the Midway CoD comparison. Sledgehammer actually did have the same Midway level lifted straight out of the movie, and I totally forgot about it despite buying the game just to play that level lmao. I guess it was that forgettable, but I will give them credit for trying. Even though they idiotically limited themselves to PS4 era hardware and likely limited the scope of the level. I remember Black Ops 3 simply chose not to ship the campaign on the PS360 and just shipped cut down versions of mp maps on last gen hardware.

Anyway, here is the midway level in Vanguard. It looks pretty cool tbh, but doesnt come close to matching the intensity and visual impact of the movie. I wonder if they should make these SP campaigns next gen only and limit them to 30 fps to get more out of the hardware.

I would definitely want to see something like the 1917 charge in a video game. Its crazy how movies are able to have 2000 extras in a scene but virtual games software that are much cheaper wont even bother investing in the R&D required to get stuff like this working in a video game.

I was actually wrong about the Midway CoD comparison. Sledgehammer actually did have the same Midway level lifted straight out of the movie, and I totally forgot about it despite buying the game just to play that level lmao. I guess it was that forgettable, but I will give them credit for trying. Even though they idiotically limited themselves to PS4 era hardware and likely limited the scope of the level. I remember Black Ops 3 simply chose not to ship the campaign on the PS360 and just shipped cut down versions of mp maps on last gen hardware.

Anyway, here is the midway level in Vanguard. It looks pretty cool tbh, but doesnt come close to matching the intensity and visual impact of the movie. I wonder if they should make these SP campaigns next gen only and limit them to 30 fps to get more out of the hardware.

I would definitely want to see something like the 1917 charge in a video game. Its crazy how movies are able to have 2000 extras in a scene but virtual games software that are much cheaper wont even bother investing in the R&D required to get stuff like this working in a video game.

Gaming went too mainstream. Now all the normies game and the suits saw and it’s become casualized. It’s no longer an enthusiast geeky nerdy thing. Not even a little. Unless you’re just super stigma driven and uptight like my gf’s big sister lol

The result is when they sit down to make their next game (based off market research and not passion anymore), things like 2000 soldiers on a battlefield or smoke physics or destructibility or anything like that isn’t even discussed now because they know 97% of buyers will just go to MP mode and shoot dudes in little maps after work for a few minutes. So why try your ass off to make something that’s truly great or WOW worthy? To impress neogaf and resetera? Please. Almost never gonna happen

Last edited:
And if anyone thinks my message up there is too cynical, heres the writer of the mass effect trilogy on why he quit BioWare

“"We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had."

Karpyshyn said that the early days of Archetype remind him of the early days at BioWare—and, rather boldly, he predicted that comparable things are in the works at his new outfit.”

This was not just EA. Occums razor people. This was industry wide. Ubisoft. Microsoft. Warner Bros games big time. And yes even PlayStation. Of course there are exceptions but I think you’d be hardpressed to deny we’ve seen a shift

Last edited:

alloush

Was watching Midway last night and the big war scenes just made me depressed because we havent seen anything like this 22 years after Medal of Honor Allied Assault's Saving Private Ryan inspired Normandy beach landing, and 20 years after Call of Duty's Behind Enemy Lines inspired stalingrad charge. I watched the DF review of Modern Warfare 2 and they have no epic war scene. Instead they had an upside down chase sequence with you hanging upside down from a helicopter shooting at trucks on a highway. A ship setpiece inspired by Uncharted 3 with containers going back and forth in a storm. And an open world sniper level, yay?

Where is that GIF from? A movie? Looks gorgeous!

RedGamingTech is a fraud. Dont listen to anything he says. He was wrong about every single thing in the PS5 leaks.

The console according to leaked specs is looking to be roughly 70% more powerful so something like the first UE5 demo that ran at 1440p 30 fps will now run at 1800p 30 fps. Matrix which at its lowest DRS ran at 1080p 30 fps at times will now run more consistently at 1440p 30 fps while its 1620p highs will likely go up above 1800p.

Dont expect a generational leap or even a PS4 Pro like 2x leap. AMD has completely dropped the ball with RDNA 3, and that will affect the PS5 Pro's performance. All this nonsense over better RT is just that. There is no magical solution. People said the same thing about the PS5 having secret RT sauce and it turned out to be the same thing AMD used in RDNA2 GPUs.
Yeah I know the guy he gets a lot wrong lol but I also remember him getting some things right over the years. AMD really need to step their game up, man. Nvidia are running rampant and AMD are still here trying to make decent RT work.

If the PS5 Pro aint gonna have the same jump the PS4 Pro had then I don’t see a reason for it to be honest we can just stick to the base and call it a day.
Paul's leak aside as I don't think he's super reliable, other more reliable leakers have mentioned specs so...

It'll be close to or more than double the raw GPU power, along with a huge boost in CPU power jumping from Zen 2 to Zen 4. It's also plucking RT features from RDNA 4 which includes HW acceleration for BVH traversal which is what Nvidia does.

What this means is we should get more 60 FPS options on next-gen titles, and I expect more PS5 first part titles to have more RT features like RTGI for first party titles.
I hope you’re right. You seem more optimistic than SlimySnake SlimySnake lol. If a PS5 Pro ever happens the jump needs to be identical tot the jump the PS4 Pro had over the base PS4, at least.

alloush

Its all speculations, we know ps5pr0 is happening but its hard to estimate how powerful it will actually be, i can tell its speculations coz they dont know on what manufacturing process console APU gonna be made, and thats crucial for console form factor, since it cant draw more than 220W of power, they speculating about 4 or 5nm process but logically speaking nvidia's rtx 40xx series is already running on improved 5nm process and that launched last year november, so for holidays 2024 or maybe even sometime in 2025 its expected for ps5pr0 to be made on smaller node, maybe even 3nm(those are my speculations but im using logics here, sony isnt nintendo to give their customers some outdated tech).

TLDR we need to wait for tmsc till they make 3nm process node usable/profitable, then we need to know whats amd's rdna 3,5 or 4 archi, then we can draw conclusions from both of those to roughly guess how strong ps5pr0 could be, again using logic in layman terms it should be around the jump of base ps4 to ps4pr0 so at least 2x stronger, but we need probably year longer to get official info/specs.
Interesting. Others are speculating the jump won’t be as big. Seems like no one really knows how the PS5 Pro will turn out like. A lotta speculations and some are contradicting each other. Sony being tight-lipped on the matter and being hella cautious is kinda weird seeing how the Pro is right around the corner (if it ever happens lol).

SlimySnake

Literally 3 things have impressed me all Gen. Demon Souls in 30FPS mode. FF16 boss fights. And burning shores photorealistic clouds. A PS3 remake. A goddamn next gen exclusive $20 DLC of a cross gen PS4 ass game. And then FF16

Last gen oh my god you had the first parties and third parties coming out so strong man. Even though I didn’t own a XB1 I could look over to the other team even and see Ryse Son of Rome. You had Witcher. Batman. Star Wars. Order. Killzone. Infamous. Uncharted. Just off the top of my head. Games that would blow up a PS3. You’d boot them up on a PS3 and they’d run at 3 FPS before a total system exe crash. Now even games I think are next gen I still go “hmmmm. They could probably reduce those textures and take it down to 900p and the PS4 could run it”
Yep, those three are the only ones that have truly impressed. Maybe some ratchet levels as well.

One thing I will say is that despite Ryse, KZSF, The Order, SW Battlefront, AC Unity looking astounding, the first couple of years of last gen were ROUGH in terms of actual gameplay. Infamous looked stunning but was a big disappointment. I think it wasnt until Batman, Witcher 3 and Bloodborne in 2015, two years into the gen when we finally started to have games that were as fun to play as they were to look at. Whereas this gen, games have never played better. Ragnorak might be disappointing as a next gen showcase but its a pretty solid game and this year will arguably go down as one of the best years in gaming.

Gaming went too mainstream. Now all the normies game and the suits saw and it’s become casualized. It’s no longer an enthusiast geeky nerdy thing. Not even a little. Unless you’re just super stigma driven and upright like my gf’s big sister lol

The result is when they sit down to make their next game (based off market research and not passion anymore), things like 2000 soldiers on a battlefield or smoke physics or destructibility or anything like that isn’t even discussed now because they know 97% of buyers will just go to MP mode and shoot dudes in little maps after work for a few minutes. So why try your ass off to make something that’s truly great or WOW worthy? To impress neogaf and resetera? Please. Almost never gonna happen
I think studios like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, CD Project, and even SSM still have more to give. Rocksteady, Bioware, DICE, Respawn, Ubisoft devs, Crystal Dynamics, GG, Sucker Punch, and most other MS and Sony first party studios are probably lost causes, but I am hopeful that those top tier studios will push the industry forward. GTA6 is due next year and I really hope its more simulation driven like GTA4 than scripted like RDR2. I was watching a clip of RDR2 where this eagle sweeps in, grabs a fish from a pond, and the user tracks it carrying that fish in its beak for almost 2 miles. Great detail, but totally scripted. Another scene was a bunch of railroad workers just hammering nails and it updated the location of the nail in realtime. People eating in resturant had their food textures updated with each bite. Yay for scripted simulation no one will ever notice.

I hope in GTA6, they let me go in and actually play around.

Yep, those three are the only ones that have truly impressed. Maybe some ratchet levels as well.

One thing I will say is that despite Ryse, KZSF, The Order, SW Battlefront, AC Unity looking astounding, the first couple of years of last gen were ROUGH in terms of actual gameplay. Infamous looked stunning but was a big disappointment. I think it wasnt until Batman, Witcher 3 and Bloodborne in 2015, two years into the gen when we finally started to have games that were as fun to play as they were to look at. Whereas this gen, games have never played better. Ragnorak might be disappointing as a next gen showcase but its a pretty solid game and this year will arguably go down as one of the best years in gaming.
Ah see I gotta disagree with this part. I can agree with Ryse and the Order as being more graphic showcases although they did sport some fun combat. But honestly one of the biggest let downs with Ragnarok as I’m replaying it now is the gameplay. On top of shamelessly looking and playing like DLC for the 2018 game, I feel like they also phoned in some stuff mechanically.

AC unity at least they tried to innovate. They were just super rushed because it was an annualized franchise. But GoWR? Completely safe focus tested casual friendly experience. To me, it’s the caricature of what people who hate Sony games describe them as. It’s an animated movie I string together with a little swing swing of my axe sometimes. When the developer says I can. It’s so restricted. You can’t even run when they say you can’t. Wanna jump? Sorry fuck you. Slow walk when we want you to. Wanna get over to that part 2 feet away? Wellllll sorry there’s a wooden cart blocking it and the god of war can’t move it with his bare hands. How about you slow walk to our next 5 min cutscene instead?

I didn’t notice on my first play through but I’m really noticing it on NG+

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Where is that GIF from? A movie? Looks gorgeous!

Yeah I know the guy he gets a lot wrong lol but I also remember him getting some things right over the years. AMD really need to step their game up, man. Nvidia are running rampant and AMD are still here trying to make decent RT work.

If the PS5 Pro aint gonna have the same jump the PS4 Pro had then I don’t see a reason for it to be honest we can just stick to the base and call it a day.

I hope you’re right. You seem more optimistic than SlimySnake SlimySnake lol. If a PS5 Pro ever happens the jump needs to be identical tot the jump the PS4 Pro had over the base PS4, at least.
Movie is called Midway. A surprisingly historically accurate take on the Midway battle in WW2. The dive bombing scenes in particular are insane.
Here is the full scene of the failed torpedo attack. Everything here actually happened.

Edder1

Just watched the latest trailer for First Descendant. That is the minimum of what I expect from this gen, not this apologetic Spiderman 2 crap people are twerking for. Kinda makes you realise that people who are making excuses for all these pathetic looking "next gen" games are bunch of cultists, hence why I just refused to engage with them at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom