• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SABRE220

Not really. Here are just a few of the screenshots that I took of the new version. Vanilla. Max settings on PC. No mods. Every frame of this game is like a painting.

KhlbVQm.jpg

QJTwyNP.jpg

3kv2mRX.jpg

8n3wFKi.jpg

r8WlSwI.jpg

sJgcUMy.jpg

EdQYrUe.jpg

UrcxlZU.jpg

DGUhLAL.jpg

YXlRiJf.jpg
I love the look of the game and while impressive and artistically very pleasant to look at, technically its not matching what was showed in the trailer, the high points in the trailer are simply on a higher level by even the updated game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I love the look of the game and while impressive and artistically very pleasant to look at, technically its not matching what was showed in the trailer, the high points in the trailer are simply on a higher level by even the updated game.

I don't know what 'high points' you are talking about. The only thing that trailer is good at is masking the flaws because it's in such dog shit quality. But okay, let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Edder1

This actually looks unexpectedly good despite having a bit of a eurojank vibe. At times better than Avatar in my opinion. I'm hoping it'll live up to the original Outcast.

Looks massively improved from initial reveal. It's crazy to see this kind of competence on technical front from small studios while big shots in the industry keep serving us turds this gen.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't anything mind blowing visually, but it's still impressive for a small relatively unknown studio. The only thing about these smaller studios is that they never seem to get animations right, probably because they don't have access to mocap.

Last edited:
image.png

PS1 games still look gorgeous friend, You can make a beautiful game with any generation of system if you design around perfecting a visual style that the hardware can actually achieve.
Especially if SNES/PS1/N64/Saturn/Dreamcast/Gamecube/PS2/Xbox games are played on a CRT and not the modern HDTV's most of us use today. I wonder if that TV tech will advance enough so that CRT emulator settings can be added much like 'true motion' etc so those retro gamers won't have to have massive, old, heavy CRT's taking up space to play older games the way they remembered them :p

T-0800

Especially if SNES/PS1/N64/Saturn/Dreamcast/Gamecube/PS2/Xbox games are played on a CRT and not the modern HDTV's most of us use today. I wonder if that TV tech will advance enough so that CRT emulator settings can be added much like 'true motion' etc so those retro gamers won't have to have massive, old, heavy CRT's taking up space to play older games the way they remembered them :p

I played Red Dead Revolver yesterday on my PS2 connected to a CRT. I really love the look of that game.

Hudo

I played Red Dead Revolver yesterday on my PS2 connected to a CRT. I really love the look of that game.
Also had more fun (and actually bothered to finish it) with Red Dead Revolver than I had with Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I think has big issues in its design)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif
It's EIGHT YEARs OLD. Freaking wizards.. As a lifelong Graphics World's Oldest Professional, it makes me sad we haven't seen a comparative leap since.

Cyberpunk with RT looks in the same league as this, and, granted, it's an "order" of magnitude larger, but where is the modern game that make The Order look outdated? It doesn't exist. Is it because The Order hit photo-realism? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
they nailed the graphics for sure. sad that it was ripped apart by critics. could have been a great franchise
I played through The Order for the first time last year after buying a used copy for $15, and I was very impressed with it. Had I bought it for $60 at release, I'd probably be disappointed, too.

But a 6- to 8-hour game where you play a Victorian Knight of the Round Table fighting werewolves and break down a huge conspiracy? Awesome premise for a game and they nailed the execution.

Edit: And I forgot another cool part; using Tesla's tech! Love that retro-futuristic touch. Such a cool setup.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It's EIGHT YEARs OLD. Freaking wizards.. As a lifelong Graphics World's Oldest Professional, it makes me sad we haven't seen a comparative leap since.

Cyberpunk with RT looks in the same league as this, and, granted, it's an "order" of magnitude larger, but where is the modern game that make The Order look outdated? It doesn't exist. Is it because The Order hit photo-realism? I don't think so.
And all without RT, just shows that a artistic vision and good art can do.

HawarMiran

Banned
I played through The Order for the first time last year after buying a used copy for $15, and I was very impressed with it. Had I bought it for $60 at release, I'd probably be disappointed, too.

But a 6- to 8-hour game where you play a Victorian Knight of the Round Table fighting werewolves and break down a huge conspiracy? Awesome premise for a game and they nailed the execution.
1 year more dev time and they could have nailed all aspects of it. The lycan encounters for example were lackluster and repetitive. maybe they could have added some horde mode later on for longevity.

Last edited:
Ah starfield is almost upon us. And it will usher in an explosive era in this graphics thread. Prepare yourselfs for the Rorschach tests

People that are biased against starfield will be uploading a muddy rock texture in a cave on planet #562 and a bunch of NPCs from city #4 saying “ew it’s so ugly!” “Last Gen!”

People that are biased towards starfield (me) will be uploading gorgeous vistas from the main story, main characters faces, breathtaking space and landscape shots. Textures and levels from the main quests going “next Gen as fuck” “visually one of the best games out”

Last edited:
Ah starfield is almost upon us. And it will usher in an explosive era in this graphics thread. Prepare yourselfs for the Rorschach tests

People that are biased against starfield will be uploading a muddy rock texture in a cave on planet #562 and a bunch of NPCs from city #4 saying “ew it’s so ugly!” “Last Gen!”

People that are biased towards starfield (me) will be uploading gorgeous vistas from the main story, main characters faces, breathtaking space and landscape shots. Textures and levels from the main quests going “next Gen as fuck” “visually one of the best games out”
Starfield will look fine but nothing special. Bethesda games never push the envelope when it comes to graphics

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
And all without RT, just shows that a artistic vision and good art can do.
Agreed. The Order did baked lighting. If I can't tell the difference between baked and real-time like in Cyberpunk w/RT (outside of when it changes/is changing), i.e., the means of achieving it aren't visible in the end product, then it's all the same in visual perception.

I recall Mirror's Edge doing similar, and I think it still looks pretty darn good:

thumbnailer.php

thumbnailer.php

thumbnailer.php

Alex11

Agreed. The Order did baked lighting. If I can't tell the difference between baked and real-time like in Cyberpunk w/RT (outside of when it changes/is changing), i.e., the means of achieving it aren't visible in the end product, then it's all the same in visual perception.

I recall Mirror's Edge doing similar, and I think it still looks pretty darn good:

thumbnailer.php

thumbnailer.php

thumbnailer.php
Yeah it really does, and I think Catalyst also uses the same technique.

bS6knO8.jpg

fH98lX0.jpg

mZ804Dp.jpg

xvgiA3O.jpg

I like RT, but when you can use baked light and can't see noticeable differences, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I think at this point we should accept tht the ps5 is to weak to truly show a next gen experience.i might be wrong in few years but it seems like devs have a hard time making I t look a class above the last
I think with ps5pr0, if it is actually 2x stronger from base ps5, we could expect solid next gen experience, finally devs wont have to chose between game looking next gen, 30fps only, and some sily 720-900p upscaled res.

Next gen should be full package or at the very least 1st and either 2nd or 3rd, nowadays we getting 1st, or 2nd or 3rd( no exceptions, just look at the matrix demo, which even worst sceptic can describe as next gen graphics, just it dips below 20fps with lots of happing on screen, and has very low resolution, upscaled smartly, but still).

What u would want is game looking like the matrix demo but at the least holding 30fps stable no matter what and resolution wise, at the least 1080p upscaled higher with fsr2 or that really amazing solution guerilla games used in horizon FW, that would make really big splash.

alloush

Don’t commit the same mistake ChiefDada did. It will only be the beginning of your downfall, son. Tread carefully and wisely!

Last edited:

hussar16

6y

Lords of the Fallen- i shudder to think what its native resolution will be on ps5
1080p upscaled with
I think with ps5pr0, if it is actually 2x stronger from base ps5, we could expect solid next gen experience, finally devs wont have to chose between game looking next gen, 30fps only, and some sily 720-900p upscaled res.

Next gen should be full package or at the very least 1st and either 2nd or 3rd, nowadays we getting 1st, or 2nd or 3rd( no exceptions, just look at the matrix demo, which even worst sceptic can describe as next gen graphics, just it dips below 20fps with lots of happing on screen, and has very low resolution, upscaled smartly, but still).

What u would want is game looking like the matrix demo but at the least holding 30fps stable no matter what and resolution wise, at the least 1080p upscaled higher with fsr2 or that really amazing solution guerilla games used in horizon FW, that would make really big splash.
i dont see it.devs wont priorotize onlyu on ps5 pro just like ps4 pro.it wil be only upsacled ps5 games

Lethal01

Just play all retro games on emulator, problem solved.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think one of the main reasons why we are not seeing a big jump when switching to RTGI or even Lumen is that the games themselves are static. Last gen games were designed around baked lighting solutions and even open world games with dynamic time of day simply didnt change time of day fast enough to see a distinct difference.

Dynamic GI will make a difference as levels themselves become dynamic. A good example of this was in the PS5 UE5 demo when the ceiling collapses and the sunlight rushes in illuminating the completely darkened corridor. We have rarely seen stuff like that implemented in games.

I think most games are like movies in that a cinematographer spends years perfecting the look of a level or a set, he doesnt want that fucked with just so nerds can get their dynamic GI. His artistic vision comes first. In video games, with everything being dynamic, maybe he might want certain levels to have dynamic elements like say a fire spreading through a building or weather effects moving around different lighting sources but you can always script stuff like that.

I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe devs have been held back by having to design games around static baked lighting. Once we see whats really possible with RTGI or dynamic GI, we might come around.

IrI8pbo.gif

Top Bottom