• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm still a bit baffled by Avatar graphics. Even in this last pc trailer, some shots look STUNNING and some absolutely meh and past-gen. It looks to me, like the stunning ones are mostly in-engine cutscenes with very few actually gameplay ones.
It's a bit uneven but there are plenty of gameplay shots that look stunning. i remember making gifs exclusively of gameplay portions from the e3 walkthroughs because people in E3 thread kept saying everything was fake or cutscene footage.

You can click through it here. all but one gif towards the end is PS5 gameplay.

Lethal01

Look at the light bounce off of buildings and volumetrics. This isnt just fake fog a la horizon forbidden west. You can compare the dusk lighting with the lighting in the spiderman 2 trailer and see just how much better it looks. both have that orange hue but spiderman 2 looks like UE3 quality dusk lighting while this looks straight up CG.
8hsVk2X.gif
Mr6AMxP.gif

miles-spiderman-2.gif
BSHUngL.gif
This next gif is from the animated movie. notice how it resembles the lighting in Project mugen. .
200.gif
How so
Rather than being higher quality or more accurate, it seems more like the strength of the bloom and fog is just stronger with different falloff settings, in most cases and that the color grading of mugen and Spider-verse are more alike.

As far as asset quality goes, the world level of detail really shines at night time. You can see how 3d all the buildings feel. very cyberpunk like whereas spiderman buildings still have a very cardboard cutout feel to them.
They feel more 3d due to being sharp and clear due to their simple shapes and color which don't require as detailed textures as the more realistic, more high frequency detailed look the Spiderman 2 is going for. This also helps with the lighting as it's easier to see the effect of the bounced lighting when their isn't a ton of variation in the base texture.

Again, all just looks like better artistic direction to me, but if the game comes out and has real time path traced GI then hey, that's neat,

The ray tracing on the streets, the NPCs, are all way ahead of spiderman.
The NPCs have more basic textures and shaders than that of Spiderman
The reflections aren't even being occluded by dynamic objects in several cases , very doubtful it's using raytracing, probably a cubemap mixed with ssr in other shots.

image.png

They just look nice in an unrealistic way, but that lack of realism can be ignored because of the lack of realism in the entire style

same goes for the ambient occlusion
image.png

Extremely basic but the range being too far and the samples being too low can actually work to enhance this kind of style
These are all things someone could rightly call out as being ugly if they saw it in Spiderman.

Last edited:

alloush

It looks incredible. I was a bit disappointed with generic and low quality (compared to the face) hand models. But nevertheless, the model is really impressive. If only animation/transitions/physics were equally advanced and less game'y.
It’s refreshing to see someone caring about animations and physics besides myself. Animations/physics are a huge pet peeve of mine and have been so for a long ass while.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
AgJTWvQ.png

This bit right here shows one of the most impressive character models i've ever seen. The way the shadowing is cast in the eye pockets, along the forehead wrinkle, and subtly around the folds at the sides of the nose, conveys exactly how light behaves in real life when the source is directly above the head. Not to mention how details like the eyelashes react to the light. I genuinely thought this was the live action stuff the game also has mixed into the gameplay when I first watched it.
Yeah I agree. Looks insane. I had to do a double take if it's not live action

On a technical level the graphics are about the same as spiderman if not a worse. definitely not more "next gen"
In terms of how it actually looks, Yeah, fantastic, been saying it for decades, stylized art just looks better and is more sensible for hardware with limits.

Double fuck avatar though. looks okay graphically, nowhere near photorealistic, with extremely weak visuals.
I'll still admit the opening shot of the reveal was pretty nice though.
image.png

Seems to be by Netease, one of the biggest names in the buisiness.

This post makes little sense and is over the place ..first Avatar looks better than S2 then ut looks extremely weak. How can you say the tech is the same level when Avatar has rt gi?

Hunnybun

It's a bit uneven but there are plenty of gameplay shots that look stunning. i remember making gifs exclusively of gameplay portions from the e3 walkthroughs because people in E3 thread kept saying everything was fake or cutscene footage.

You can click through it here. all but one gif towards the end is PS5 gameplay.

As far as I can see the best of Avatar doesn't look any better (and that's generous) than the best of HFW.

Which is OK by me cos I think Horizon looks spectacular (at its best) but you always bang on about how last gen Sony games MUST look given the resources spent on 4k.

I just maintain that Sony is just ridiculously far ahead of basically everyone else in terms of technical achievement. They seem to be able to make cross gen games at 4k that look at least as good as anyone else's next gen only stuff running at like 1080p or 1440p AT BEST.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As far as I can see the best of Avatar doesn't look any better (and that's generous) than the best of HFW.

Which is OK by me cos I think Horizon looks spectacular (at its best) but you always bang on about how last gen Sony games MUST look given the resources spent on 4k.

I just maintain that Sony is just ridiculously far ahead of basically everyone else in terms of technical achievement. They seem to be able to make cross gen games at 4k that look at least as good as anyone else's next gen only stuff running at like 1080p or 1440p AT BEST.
people are very easily fooled by lots of foliage

Because Sony games are never heavy on processor side like their npcs density game complexity most Sony games are linear open world games unlike ubisoft the world is really open ubisoft put lots of details in world building and npc behaviour, Sony not so much

And avatar frontiers of Pandora looks way better than horizon forbidden west interms of beauty and npc behaviour

SlimySnake

Because they can do better if they don’t chase native 4k. I don’t know why i get so much push back on this. It is literally common sense. A gpu can be used to render more pixels or more effects. Avatar is pushing rt gi, rt shadows, rt reflections, way more foliage and a way higher draw distance By targeting 1440p internal resolution.

And I’ve pointed out numerous flaws with horizon which does look comparable up close but begins to fall apart as they struggle to render anything not right in front of you.

Because they can do better if they don’t chase native 4k. I don’t know why i get so much push back on this. It is literally common sense. A gpu can be used to render more pixels or more effects. Avatar is pushing rt gi, rt shadows, rt reflections, way more foliage and a way higher draw distance By targeting 1440p internal resolution.

And I’ve pointed out numerous flaws with horizon which does look comparable up close but begins to fall apart as they struggle to render anything not right in front of you.
And most stuff in Sony games are cleverly render in loading screen

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Yeah this looked great. A gamescom highlight.
I just doubt they will deliver
Bruh that game looks like your ultimate mix up from your fav games . It took some inspiration from Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy, Forspoken, Witcher and Ghost Of Tsushima. Game looks really fun tho.

Edder1

People are seriously sleeping on Ghostrunner 2, it's definitely up there with the best looking upcoming games and a big step up visually from the original. The fact that nobody here is talking about it is insane to me. It's crazy that this small studio is able to put out such high quality sequel only 1.5 years after the original.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Texture quality, physics, particles, draw distance and more... All this without using the UE5. Very impressive engine.

Looks amazing but the first couple of trailers had some fantastic weather effects that are completely missing from this trailer. now those trailers were running at 15 fps so something had to give but removing those dynamic elements is kinda disappointing.

This video has the latest trailer and all other previously released footage. there is B roll of a character walking around towards the end. particle effects with snow, leaves, trees look amazing.

Hunnybun

No, I get the logic. What I don't accept is that "wasting" (I don't think it's wasted cos 60fps at decent res is the priority for me) half the budget NECESSARILY means their games don't look next gen.

Ratchet STILL looks better than anything else other than that new Star Wars game. And we've no idea how that will run yet.

As for Avatar, I simply don't care what tech it uses to produce whatever visuals it does. I care about the visuals themselves. And imo they're good but generally unspectacular. I think Horizon Burning Shores generally looks better. At double the res.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

No, I get the logic. What I don't accept is that "wasting" (I don't think it's wasted cos 60fps at decent res is the priority for me) half the budget NECESSARILY means their games don't look next gen.

Ratchet STILL looks better than anything else other than that new Star Wars game. And we've no idea how that will run yet.

As for Avatar, I simply don't care what tech it uses to produce whatever visuals it does. I care about the visuals themselves. And imo they're good but generally unspectacular. I think Horizon Burning Shores generally looks better. At double the res.
I think targeting 60 fps on 10 tflops base consoles is a big mistake. You can see this from the latest games dropping to 600p-720p and still struggling to hold 60 fps. so why bother?

Focus on 30 fps and optimize around that. Then for mid gen consoles you can always make a 60 fps mode since you will have double the gpu power. Or keep 60 fps on powerful PCs like avatar is doing.

I also agree that I dont particularly care what tech is being used as long as the results are great. Honestly before FF16, i couldnt care less about RT shadows because they didnt make deathloop, cod cold war, and shadow of tomb raider look next gen. However, i can see a clear upgrade in their lighting engine here compared to say RDR2, Horizon FW, and their older division games which looked stunning but now look a gen behind.

LtfPyjt.jpg

Lethal01

This post makes little sense and is over the place
Is it now, lets see

..first Avatar looks better than S2
I didn't say this
then it looks extremely weak.
didn't say that either.
How can you say the tech is the same level when Avatar has rt gi?

Don't know how you managed to miss the point, I didn't say it was more graphically impressive than avatar, I said it looked better. I'm saying it looks better due to it's artstyle creating a more pleasing, seemingly more consistent look despite the style not taking more than Spiderman does to run.
I said fuck Avatar cause I find it's visuals extremely dull that's all.

Last edited:

Piggoro

It’s refreshing to see someone caring about animations and physics besides myself. Animations/physics are a huge pet peeve of mine and have been so for a long ass while.
Yeah. I may be wrong, but I think devs reached the limit of human artists' ability in animation. We need some technical solution (AI or whatever) to supplement human animators' work. Like for example, photogrammetry for 3D artists.

alloush

Yeah. I may be wrong, but I think devs reached the limit of human artists' ability in animation. We need some technical solution (AI or whatever) to supplement human animators' work. Like for example, photogrammetry for 3D artists.
Yes, AI is the solution going forward and obviously insane amount of hardware prowess in my opinion.

Check this out:

PeteBull

We really need midgen upgrades big time

- No Quality or 30fps mode
- All machines target 60fps
- PS5 : 1280x720 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1 Performance when you Output 4K
- PS5 : 1280x720 --> 1080p Reconstruction via FSR 2.1 Quality when you Output 1080p, IQ is the same on both resolution mode.
- Series X : 1280x720 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1
- Series S : 768x438 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1
- Series S cut many thing like foilage, textures, SSR, ambient oclusion, alpha volumetric
- PS5 / XSX have frame drops when there are too many action / explosion on screen, or too much "magik" effect, scripted moment have not perfect and sometimes on cinematique
- XSX have advantage of 5-8 fps than the PS5
- PS5 have better menu screen with better SSR and AO (wow)
- XSS runs better than the XSX and PS5. But it also the worst IQ of the 3
- No difference for PS5 / XSX

Lots of comparisions screenis in that thread, most funny one was:

SlimySnake

Yes, AI is the solution going forward and obviously insane amount of hardware prowess in my opinion.

Check this out:

Motion matching is the future but devs are lazy.

Honestly, i blame the idiotic devs who decided to target 60 fps on the XSX let alone the series s. It should be 30 fps max on all these machines.

Lethal01

Should Avatar be 60?
I don't know or care about the gameplay, so I dunno, but if a game is asking you for constant, fast paced, precise aiming then it's pretty suited to being 60 rather than 30.

But Avatar is a game that I really have zero interest in aside from seeing a talk in a year on what formulas they used to calculated their lighting and such, so I don't really care about them making bad gameplay decisions. I suppose it would be bad for me personally if it were 30fps and focused less on visuals, but again, that's because I've got absolutely no interest in actually playing it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't know or care about the gameplay, so I dunno, but if a game is asking you for constant, fast paced, precise aiming then it's pretty suited to being 60 rather than 30.

But Avatar is a game that I really have zero interest in aside from seeing a talk in a year on what formulas they used to calculated their lighting and such, so I don't really care about them making bad gameplay decisions. I suppose it would be bad for me personally if it were 30fps and focused less on visuals, but again, that's because I've got absolutely no interest in actually playing it.
I guess the point is that 30 fps is not a mendatory requirement for first person games. Destiny was the 2nd most popular FPS last gen and it was 60 fps until the next gen versions came out. Im playing Division right now, another 30 fps shooter. KZ, Gears, Horizon, Far Cry, Uncharted were all 30 fps shooters. I just dont buy this whole every shooter must be 60 fps especially when there is no multiplayer component. halo was 30 fps until last gen and everyone fucking hates it now. 60 fps didnt save that game.

If people really badly want to play these shooters at 60 fps they can always buy a PC. Or wait for a mid gen refresh. These consoles already skimped on tflops. There simply isnt enough horsepower to do 60 fps while pushing visual fidelity.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I guess the point is that 30 fps is not a mendatory requirement for first person games. Destiny was the 2nd most popular FPS last gen and it was 60 fps until the next gen versions came out. Im playing Division right now, another 30 fps shooter. KZ, Gears, Horizon, Far Cry, Uncharted were all 30 fps shooters. I just dont buy this whole every shooter must be 60 fps especially when there is no multiplayer component. halo was 30 fps until last gen and everyone fucking hates it now. 60 fps didnt save that game.

If people really badly want to play these shooters at 60 fps they can always buy a PC. Or wait for a mid gen refresh. These consoles already skimped on tflops. There simply isnt enough horsepower to do 60 fps while pushing visual fidelity.

It's not mandatory, sacrificing 4k to achieve better geometric/lighting quality isn't mandatory either, but I think it's a far better choice for the genre. just like people used to play Halo at 30fps they also used to play games with Super Nintendo graphics, so graphics won't always save the game either.

This video has the latest trailer and all other previously released footage. there is B roll of a character walking around towards the end. particle effects with snow, leaves, trees look amazing.

That part at the end is from the old build so those effects are most likely cut or downgraded/reduced at this point.

SlimySnake

Absolute LMAO at stalker 2:lollipop_squinting:
lol They are literally making this game in a warzone. If someone gets a pass for downgrades, it’s the devs who had to go and fight Russians in real life.

What’s Ubisoft Massive’s excuse? They didn’t have covid lockdowns in Sweden.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
These are screenshots rofif himself posted in various threads to showcase how good it looks.

e7DUNk3.jpg

fWZm73I.jpg

Compared to this, Avatar looks like a PS9 game.

xqcbMVk.gif
Mind you, the first screenshot is the worst looking place in that game and that's the point.
Anyway. I alawys advertised that forspoken looks good. not that it looks amazing.
I am more of a defender of the game itself. Maybe not so much graphics.

As for Avatar... nah. Downgrade incoming. I will believe in when I play it

Hunnybun

I think targeting 60 fps on 10 tflops base consoles is a big mistake. You can see this from the latest games dropping to 600p-720p and still struggling to hold 60 fps. so why bother?

Focus on 30 fps and optimize around that. Then for mid gen consoles you can always make a 60 fps mode since you will have double the gpu power. Or keep 60 fps on powerful PCs like avatar is doing.

I also agree that I dont particularly care what tech is being used as long as the results are great. Honestly before FF16, i couldnt care less about RT shadows because they didnt make deathloop, cod cold war, and shadow of tomb raider look next gen. However, i can see a clear upgrade in their lighting engine here compared to say RDR2, Horizon FW, and their older division games which looked stunning but now look a gen behind.

LtfPyjt.jpg

Well it's just personal taste to some extent. For me a decent frame rate (not necessarily 60, but unlocked 40+ at minimum) is non-negotiable. I actually recently played through TLOU P1 in fidelity mode, for example, and the frame rate drops quite low in that game. But imo games LOOK shit at 30fps - it's actually a graphical issue for me. It just looks like a jerky mess.

As for whether 60fps with quality visuals (ie a good leap over last gen) is possible? Clearly it is, at least to the standard I consider acceptable. Ratchet and HBS clearly demonstrate that.

The problem is that basically no third party game has done likewise. And that's where I sympathise with your stance a bit more.

I suspect that UE5 level visuals just aren't really possible at 60fps on console, as you say. All I can say is, thank god for the PS5 Pro, otherwise this would be a bit of a disaster of a generation. The big new tech just doesn't seem to have aligned very well with the hardware this time round.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Well it's just personal taste to some extent. For me a decent frame rate (not necessarily 60, but unlocked 40+ at minimum) is non-negotiable. I actually recently played through TLOU P1 in fidelity mode, for example, and the frame rate drops quite low in that game. But imo games LOOK shit at 30fps - it's actually a graphical issue for me. It just looks like a jerky mess.
Then you are not a real graphics whore. Because 30fps objectively look better.

You cannot be a graphics whore playing on console and at the same time demand 60fps games.

Especially not mid-late gen games. You could get away with it with launch games, or cross gen trash. But not exclusive mid-late gen games that are supposed to push hardware.

Higher resolution, more effects, ray tracing, higher fidelity overall. Not a single 60fps game in history has looked better than its 30fps counterpart. Literally always. Its not a matter of opinion lol. 99.9% of trailers, bullshots, and promotion material for games have been captured in 30fps fidelity mode - they capture footage from the best looking version of the game.

You guys gotta stop demanding 60fps on console games late into the gen. You are limiting graphical and design potential with this absurd obsession over framerate. And yes, it is absurd.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Then you are not a real graphics whore. Because 30fps objectively look better.

You cannot be a graphics whore playing on console and at the same time demand 60fps games.

Especially not mid-late gen games. You could get away with it with launch games, or cross gen trash. But not exclusive mid-late gen games that are supposed to push hardware.

Higher resolution, more effects, ray tracing, higher fidelity overall. Not a single 60fps game in history has looked better than its 30fps counterpart. Literally always. Its not a matter of opinion lol. 99.9% of trailers, bullshots, and promotion material for games have been captured in 30fps fidelity mode - they capture footage from the best looking version of the game.

You guys gotta stop demanding 60fps on console games late into the gen. You are limiting graphical and design potential with this absurd obsession over framerate. And yes, it is absurd.

You understand the concept of an opinion, right?

Because you come across like a bigoted maniac.

SlimySnake

As for whether 60fps with quality visuals (ie a good leap over last gen) is possible? Clearly it is, at least to the standard I consider acceptable. Ratchet and HBS clearly demonstrate that.
Ratchet and HBS are essentially last gen titles. Ratchet's portal sections are the only next gen thing about it. Most levels, especially the open world levels look rather last gen and so does Horizon FW and BS. It's easier to pull off 60 fps with those visuals and more importantly with that last gen tech that was designed to run on a 1.8 tflops gpu and jaguar CPU. You can see how well Ratchet runs on steamdeck vs other next gen games. they just arent pushing that gpu hard enough with next gen effects and features.

As games become more complex and start to to push more visuals and more cpu heavy effects, it will become harder and harder to stick with those 30 fps targets. we've seen it time and time again this year.

I highly doubt that people would be ok with getting this for the rest of this gen as long as they get 60 fps. Ratchet has what is essentially PS2 level linear levels that look excellent but dont really do much. HBS has awful pop-in and the same lighting, draw distance and pop-in issues that plagued the base game. As good as both games can look at times, they are not what I would consider next gen and we should definitely aim to top them. even if it comes at the expense of 60 fps. i think 40 fps is a good compromise and that should be the performance mode thats included in these games as an option, not 60 fps.

Fz_VrCPX0AczYKi

Fz_Vr0rX0AI5E-y

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

Hunnybun

Ratchet and HBS are essentially last gen titles. Ratchet's portal sections are the only next gen thing about it. Most levels, especially the open world levels look rather last gen and so does Horizon FW and BS. It's easier to pull off 60 fps with those visuals and more importantly with that last gen tech that was designed to run on a 1.8 tflops gpu and jaguar CPU. You can see how well Ratchet runs on steamdeck vs other next gen games. they just arent pushing that gpu hard enough with next gen effects and features.

As games become more complex and start to to push more visuals and more cpu heavy effects, it will become harder and harder to stick with those 30 fps targets. we've seen it time and time again this year.

I highly doubt that people would be ok with getting this for the rest of this gen as long as they get 60 fps. Ratchet has what is essentially PS2 level linear levels that look excellent but dont really do much. HBS has awful pop-in and the same lighting, draw distance and pop-in issues that plagued the base game. As good as both games can look at times, they are not what I would consider next gen and we should definitely aim to top them. even if it comes at the expense of 60 fps. i think 40 fps is a good compromise and that should be the performance mode thats included in these games as an option, not 60 fps.

Fz_VrCPX0AczYKi

Fz_Vr0rX0AI5E-y

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

But they both look better than Avatar so errrrr....

SlimySnake

But they both look better than Avatar so errrrr....
I feel like i am taking crazy pills with some of you guys. Not being impressed by avatar is one thing, saying horizon and ratchet look better is something else.

how can you look at those screenshots and not realize how poor the lighting quality is compared to avatar? or the asset quality? or the draw distance?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No it's not you stupid fucking cunt.
Yes, it is. Deal with it.

30fps games look better due to higher resolution and added effects.

60fps games play smoother due to higher framerate and less shit to render on screen.

Those are the FACTS. Your opinion is worthless. Im tired of these dumb fucking posts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom