• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Cyberpunk in overdrive is the most impressive game I've ever played. It looks so good, it feels weird to control your character, it's like your brain is not processing that you're in the game (I'm playing on 4090, 4k, OLED). The only problem with it is the RT noise but it seems like DLSS 3.5 will fix that. I'm pumped for that and the new update.

I think people who are complaining about the way Cyberpunk looks are hoping for a more photo-realistic look. And art style used in Cyberpunk is definitely not aiming to be realistic.

I didn't even see that Turk posted some GIFs. I was referring to how he bodied other user trying to say that Cyberpunk has bad textures. It has amazing textures that hold up even in first person. And yeah, he's right when he says that you can find meh textures in every game if you come too close.
This can't never happen to me because i care way more about animations than lights and shadows so for every well lighted scene there is some clunky animation that suck away any immersion, no offense but immersion wise nothing beat something like rdr2 for me (that still isn't perfect but you know what i mean) even if the graphic is worse.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I'm not faulting you for the use of gifs, we all use gifs in here.

I'm just saying that gifs can be misleading, they hide any graphical flaw, low res assets and the smaller they are, the worse it is, they downright make games looks better.
197.gif

Thats literally what i was saying on the last page. Im also not against gifs, but if they are used to compare the whole graphical package than yeah they are not showing the whole truth. Its nice to see the dynamic lighting and such but you can't judge the graphics by it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This can't never happen to me because i care way more about animations than lights and shadows so for every well lighted scene there is some clunky animation that suck away any immersion, no offense but immersion wise nothing beat something like rdr2 for me (that still isn't perfect but you know what i mean) even if the graphic is worse.

Hmmm I'm not sure what clunky animation you're referring to. Care to show some examples?

BoxFresh123

I can show those textures in almost every game, all the games that you guys praised here over CP2077 have those. Its a big open world game ofcourse you are gonna see some lower res texture here and there, just like you see them in other games. Also that guy is fixing some lower res textures so he shows the worst examples to fix them. And you guys act like most textures look shit while its the opposite. Just look at the overall texture quality from ground to building to object to charachters. Overall they are very high quality.

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-2-12-36.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-2-08-47.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-21-18-52.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-20-58.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-23-49-14.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-23-08-37.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-36-27.jpg

To each their own. Nothing here look shit but Cyberpunk seldom looks as mind blowing in screenshots as I've seen it made out elsewhere.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hmmm I'm not sure what clunky animation you're referring to. Care to show some examples?
If you haven't noticed anything in your playthrought, nothing that i can show you is gonna change your mind.

And tbh i'm too lazy to search for examples on yt :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you haven't noticed anything in your playthrought, nothing that i can show you is gonna change your mind.

And tbh i'm too lazy to search for examples on yt :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The only junky animation that stood out to me was grabbing someone from stealth. Other than that, it was either good or excellent.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The only junky animation that stood out to me was grabbing someone from stealth. Other than that, it was either good or excellent.
I'm not talking about the main character, more like how npcs interact with the scanerio, some stiff animation here, some glitchy animations there...the whole package doens't feel great, it's hard to pinpoint a precise aspect.

Like the game was absolutely destroyed for the performance and bugs at launch, but i had a good experience with it, not many bugs at all, but subpar animations is something that i noticed.

Maybe they fixed some of the glitches and how npcs react and move with the later patches but i played with the 1.6 version and i can't say i noticed much difference, since i had a good first run with the game, i didn't felt the improvements that much (and the game was still shitty balanced so i bailed out half way).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Turk as per usual is destroying people in this thread.
Get a room you two.

Thats literally what i was saying on the last page. Im also not against gifs, but if they are used to compare the whole graphical package than yeah they are not showing the whole truth. Its nice to see the dynamic lighting and such but you can't judge the graphics by it.
So you are saying Cyberpunk is your DriveClub?

Last edited:

SABRE220

Shit someone put console cpus on suicide watch. Guessing that's a top line pc and you can see it wheezing in some parts there. Either that or the capture was shit.

megahertz for the cpu god, voltage for the socket throne.
This one right here inquisitor!
The numbers on screen were really impressive, the visuals are pretty but those numbers were what made it a showpiece, really gave credence to the tyranids drown the enemy in bodies tactic.

alloush

Honestly I was deeply impressed by the first gameplay footage we saw months ago, the visuals look really beautiful. I wasn't super vocal about it at the time because so many posters on this thread were dunking on it at the time haha
I always liked the visuals in that game since they announced it and I wasn’t afraid to be vocal about it. Everyone in this thread knows by now that I have very high standards and aint easily impressed. But something about this game impressed me, could be the fact my expectations for an AC game are usually hella low haha.

Doesnt look much of an upgrade from Control or Quantum Break. Expected a bigger leap from Remedy.

The lighting and animations arent doing anything for me. But the vista shots are very impressive. You can literally see the whole city. I would like to see this game at night.

I think the problem with baghdad is that the architecture just isnt as impressive as greek or roman architecture. That said, big upgrade over viking era england for sure lol.
Exactly. Just like I was telling TheRedRiders TheRedRiders something about this game is impressing me, could be the rendering of the entire city and the perfect resemblance of old Baghdad in the game. I know Baghdad might not have the same beautiful architecture like the greek or roman ones even Egyptians (please let the next GoW be ancient Egypt) but I still felt like they did a good job reimagining the city.

captain-america-damn-it.gif

SlimySnake SlimySnake this is for you my man, gifs to show how it looks in motion because they think it only looks good in pics lol

cityscape-cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty.gif
d1afee15e96df04c85f6874c2b74af6619844f4b.gif
nl_phantom_liberty_gif1.gif
0df3d5dbb3f57da8e137d371f98379c58186c9e5.gifv
c963ec5910ae2a6bc1a9f7e24ab711708662793c.gifv
8f6cdc7d299c449180386cd530c830e26fb3b9d9.gifv
1d58e0a65848258cebe9fd887c3ac39ec34c1913.gifv
759eade3d7772ca575b0aa6025fa8042b37b21e7.gifv

captain-america-i-can-do-this-all-day.gif
Get that fugly looking game off my screen and out of this thread :messenger_winking_tongue:

setoman

Seeing fully enhanced path traced CP2077 running over 100fps is just mindblowing (even if some frames are generated). Fucking Nvidia always delivers with the good shit (outside there pricing and naming lol). And Phantom Liberty looks really nice, i like the world and the art.
Nvidia has adulterized path tracing for marketing and money.
Make no mistake, that isn't path-tracing.
Like others said, I'm not impressed. It looks no different than regular ray tracing.
When you actually look at real path tracing. The lighting is completely grounded.

Doesnt look much of an upgrade from Control or Quantum Break. Expected a bigger leap from Remedy.
Yeah super disappointing. The lighting looks next gen but the geometry density and PBR material shader looks last gen as hell.
It doesn't look like it improved since QB. It looks so video gamey. If they improved their material shaders, the game would look way better.
It honestly looks like QB outdoor scene with better lighting and textures.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This one right here inquisitor!
The numbers on screen were really impressive, the visuals are pretty but those numbers were what made it a showpiece, really gave credence to the tyranids drown the enemy in bodies tactic.
Very impressive stuff. First true next gen game.

A bit disappointing to see that the lighting and world level of detail has been toned down since the reveal trailers.

Musilla

I'm not talking about the main character, more like how npcs interact with the scanerio, some stiff animation here, some glitchy animations there...the whole package doens't feel great, it's hard to pinpoint a precise aspect.

Like the game was absolutely destroyed for the performance and bugs at launch, but i had a good experience with it, not many bugs at all, but subpar animations is something that i noticed.

Maybe they fixed some of the glitches and how npcs react and move with the later patches but i played with the 1.6 version and i can't say i noticed much difference, since i had a good first run with the game, i didn't felt the improvements that much (and the game was still shitty balanced so i bailed out half way).
Walking the streets and seeing this shit takes me out of any kind of immersion.
HpLTZCB.gif

Turk1993

Nvidia has adulterized path tracing for marketing and money.
Make no mistake, that isn't path-tracing.
Like others said, I'm not impressed. It looks no different than regular ray tracing.
When you actually look at real path tracing. The lighting is completely grounded.

You are comparing a offline render of a small room created with quixel assets with 1 light source to a game thats running real time with 100s of lights in a complex big city. And the lighting is grounded in OD mode and it looks noticeable better than the standard RT mode.
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

VS1.jpg

Alex11

You are comparing a offline render of a small room created with quixel assets with 1 light source to a game thats running real time with 100s of lights in a complex big city. And the lighting is grounded in OD mode and it looks noticeable better than the standard RT mode.
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

VS1.jpg
Noticeable to say the least, even a boring corner in a room looks mind blowing, at least for me.

rJaxs9S.jpg

I've said it, some textures look a bit weak, but I've realised that in a game this big that's normal, but the lighting, Jesus, it has no competition.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The Alan Wake 2 nvidia trailer came out before, shows some of the dlss quality improvements. The most interesting for me personally is the temporal accumulation lag on the GI is improved, they mention AI powering it so maybe it's another benefit of ray reconstruction. DLSS image quality improved aswell. No RT on/off comparisons unfortunately.

edit: kicking myself i missed my chance at world premier gags ;)

This. The temporal GI lag was my number one complaint about RTX games. So happy theve made such drasticly noticable progress.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
New Alan Wake Gameplay Footage.
What do you guys think?

Looks great! That lighting adds to the atmosphere, and horror games benefit most from realism/verisimilitude, in my opinion. One of the few genres that lose a LOT when their graphics age, imo. For example, OG RE4 is still a great game, but I'm not in that world like I was back when I played it upon release.

With them going for what looks like a more straightforward horror game with AWII, compared to Alan Wake 1 which was a third-person shooter with horror theming, I think it'll be great!

Piggoro

What do you guys think?

The graphics looks great but I think nowadays with all these good looking games the real big hurdle on the way to photorealism starts to become more and more of a real problem: game'y animation and physics. It instantly breaks immersion and visual "reality" effect.
I feel like we need some new very complex AI/procedurally driven systems to cross this barrier. Mocap/human-made animation don't cut it anymore.

Turk1993

If by destroying everyone you mean posting a meme pic of someone doing an annoyed face followed by posting bad ps games shots under the guise of proving a point, when it’s just an excuse to downplay them. Never seen him do that for xbox.
Look at how triggered you are. You didn't even read the whole discussion on why i posted those shots. If you did you wouldn't even post this crap. I have literally praised those games as currently been one of the best looking games. That post was to show that even the best looking games other than CP2077 have some low quality textures here and there. But fanboys like you really got triggered without even reading the whole conversation. And the reason you don't see me posting shit from Xbox is because i don't have a xbox smarty. I play literally on PS and PC so i just posted my examples shots from my PS games and PC games that i think are currently one of the best looking. And outside Flight simulator (which i don't own) and Forza Horizon 5 there is not that much to post for Xbox games lol. Where was you when i was praising GOW:R graphics in here, where was you when i was praising Spiderman Miles, where was you when i was praising GT7 in the next gen racing thread where i called it the best looking racing sim on console, where was you when i called Horizon Forbiden West the best looking console game and one of the best on all platform.

SlimySnake

You both couldn’t be any more wrong. And this is one of the very few times I disagree with F Feel Like I'm On 42 . The game looks much better than a lotta people are giving it credit honestly!
Actually, it was definitely a repurposed DLC turned into a full game. I saw it reported somewhere.

It does look better than people are saying but its definitely a budget title seeing as how its being sold for $50 while Avatar is a $70 title.

alloush

Actually, it was definitely a repurposed DLC turned into a full game. I saw it reported somewhere.

It does look better than people are saying but its definitely a budget title seeing as how its being sold for $50 while Avatar is a $70 title.
I agree with the notion that since it is repurposed it is being sold for $50 but Feel was referring to its graphics which I think don’t look so bad SEEING that it is repurposed. Imo Ubisoft been giving us some goodies graphically lately.

Having said all that, I need to see the game in action, I wanna see how it looks in proper gameplay, might turn out to be fugly.

alloush

What do you guys think?

Just seen this. Very very beautiful.You can see a slight degradation in graphics when they switched from cutscenes to gameplay but graphics in general remained unscathed when switching to gameplay, they maintained the high quality visuals. Impressive stuff. I know I sound like a broken record but that’s the bare minimum I expect this gen.

Also, is this Rick from The Walking Dead?

Last edited:

H . R . 2

Love this.
Hy9TMxt.gif
looks great, a touch more accuracy for the facial animation would make this scene incredible!
but I feel like Remedy lost the majority of its resources and talent after QB and the co-development deal [with 505] and sometimes it shows
despite looking incredible, AW2 similar to Control seems like a step down from the facial/gameplay animation quality of QB.
That game was the only game I have seen where all the NPCs had complete and super accurate lip-sync and facial animations outside of cutscenes and in actual gameplay.
it was very impressive.
also Control's animations, despite great physics, seemed janky and weightless to me. Although it turned out great,
Control always felt like an afterthought, a leftover project of QB, a budget Remedy game that lacked the panache and prestige of their previous titles
I hope that changes with AW2 and it is more grounded and the live-action bits are not immersion-breaking

Last edited:
Seems like all the games that needed to be revealed at Gamescon have already been revealed, not sure how the event itself is set out but what are the chances we'll see teaser for the Metro Sequel? It was confirmed that 4A Games would be at the event.

Please deliver us next-gen goodies!

SlimySnake

They promised faster flying speeds thanks to the ssds way back in 2021. I think they have delivered. Havent seen much pop-in but its only been marketing material so far it will be interesting to see the final game. HFW's marketing had plenty of flying shots with no pop-in.

62g3zBT.gif

PMizkEO.gif

Love this shot.

cRA3C6g.gif

EDIT: I accidentally captured these gifs from the the 1080p feed on youtube instead of the 4k feed. Will reupload them later.
EDIT2: Reuploaded in full 4k glory.

Last edited:
They promised faster flying speeds thanks to the ssds way back in 2021. I think they have delivered. Havent seen much pop-in but its only been marketing material so far it will be interesting to see the final game. HFW's marketing had plenty of flying shots with no pop-in.

8INIz4x.gif

vPRGIXT.gif

Love this shot.

YOGBVZw.gif

EDIT: I accidentally captured these gifs from the the 1080p feed on youtube instead of the 4k feed. Will reupload them later.
Space Marines 2, Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Starfield

We’re finally getting “this couldn’t be done on PS4/XB1” stuff :’)

Top Bottom