• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Okay yeah holy shit this looks fantastic

They promised faster flying speeds thanks to the ssds way back in 2021. I think they have delivered. Havent seen much pop-in but its only been marketing material so far it will be interesting to see the final game. HFW's marketing had plenty of flying shots with no pop-in.

8INIz4x.gif

vPRGIXT.gif

Love this shot.

YOGBVZw.gif

EDIT: I accidentally captured these gifs from the the 1080p feed on youtube instead of the 4k feed. Will reupload them later.
Nah, looks like a marketing shot.

This is what it looks like during gameplay.

giphy.gif

MN9lwqo.gif
Ok now we are talking. The pc version just looks soo much better with all the enhancements and 4K resolution. The world looks beautiful and filled with detail. The scale and verticality with that draw distance is what i expected from current gen. Also the lighting on that 3th gif in SlimySnake SlimySnake post is just
carl-chef-kiss.gif

Edder1

why are we not talking about this MASSIVE downgrade over the previous trailers?

Likely a console footage running on Series X as opposed to PC footage we saw with earlier trailers. All Microsoft sponsored titles were running on Series X at Gamescom.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Likely a console footage running on Series X as opposed to PC footage we saw with earlier trailers. All Microsoft sponsored titles were running on Series X at Gamescom.
Now that you said it, it probably was. It makes sense because the iq in that trailer was shit (probably FSR).

CGNoire

That game was the only game I have seen where all the NPCs had complete and super accurate lip-sync and facial animations outside of cutscenes and in actual gameplay.
This. Just played QB again and it was the first thing I noticed. Will be super disapointed if they ditch that discipline going forward.

Last edited:

Edder1

Now that you said it, it probably was. It makes sense because the iq in that trailer was shit (probably FSR).
Yep, same for Alan Wake 2, it had terrible shimmering and blurriness in distance, which can only mean it was running on a console using FSR.

Last edited:
Nah, even modern movie CGI is struggling because CG Artists are overworked and underpaid. We have CGI scenes from 15-20 years ago that beat most modern movies.
2006 CGI

2005 CGI

The problem is obviously not the processing power, but the talent, time and budget. Artists simply don't get enough time to really polish their scenes these days because studio heads and directors are always behind schedule and can't settle on what they actually want until the last minute.
As for realtime and pre-rendered looking the same that will never happen, the machine can always do more when it's not limited to 33 ms to do everything. Not to mention that render farms at say Pixar are hundreds of times more poweful than game consoles and can render each frame for weeks.

Doesn’t matter, EVENTUALLY Visuals will hit a peak…

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If you told me that this was a Metro Exodus DLC running with FSR2, i would believed you.
The lighting in day time scenes looks like a step above that forest Metro level which feels very cartoony. This game looks very photorealistic under those lighting conditions.

Unfortunately, it doesnt look that great in any other time of day and the mediocre asset quality doesnt really help.

Still, I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of screenshots posted from this game. It has that photorealistic look we saw in that UE5 bodycam game at times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol no way this is console vs pc. Console games don't differ from pc games this days much.
Not this massively.
it is pretty obvious the original trailer was just fake

Edder1

lol no way this is console vs pc. Console games don't differ from pc games this days much.
Not this massively.
That makes no sense. They could have easily put out another "fake" trailer by that logic. The fps in the trailer was also all over the place, which is another thing that makes no sense if this was a PC version.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Not this massively.
Cyberpunk 2077 phantom liberty, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake 2 and Avatar says hi.

SlimySnake

I'm starting to worry about you, you're twerking for this game more than Dada is for Spiderman 2.
I stan for all true next gen games. In one week, expect tons of starfield gifs. only reason why i havent posted them from the 1 hour E3 direct was that i mostly skimmed through it to avoid spoilers.

If FF16 was my forspoken then Starfield is my spiderman. I fully expect these games to have next gen moments mixed in with last gen drawbacks. But Avatar is next gen through and through. The only thing that bugs me is that the draw distance in some flying shots is being blurred a la Horizon, but even then its not as bad as horizon. I had hoped for something like RDR2 on PC which was impossible to max out when it first launched but now you can just extend the draw distance as far as the eye can see.

Something like this i captured on PC a couple of weeks ago. Insane draw distance. They have specific settings for grass and tree LODs on draw distance.

But thats about it. Everything else in Avatar is a step above last gen games. Amazing lighting, dense foliage, gorgeous water, faster flying speeds and just a very lived in feel thanks to all the wildlife.

Next step is getting to that CG feel of the movies. with thicker volumetrics and lighting. They are very close to the asset quality already, and i dont see why they cant hit it next gen with 4-5x more tflops. First 15 seconds of this clip with them flying through the forest is next gen goals, but im happy with what we have for now.

amigastar

I stan for all true next gen games. In one week, expect tons of starfield gifs. only reason why i havent posted them from the 1 hour E3 direct was that i mostly skimmed through it to avoid spoilers.

If FF16 was my forspoken then Starfield is my spiderman. I fully expect these games to have next gen moments mixed in with last gen drawbacks. But Avatar is next gen through and through. The only thing that bugs me is that the draw distance in some flying shots is being blurred a la Horizon, but even then its not as bad as horizon. I had hoped for something like RDR2 on PC which was impossible to max out when it first launched but now you can just extend the draw distance as far as the eye can see.

Something like this i captured on PC a couple of weeks ago. Insane draw distance. They have specific settings for grass and tree LODs on draw distance.

But thats about it. Everything else in Avatar is a step above last gen games. Amazing lighting, dense foliage, gorgeous water, faster flying speeds and just a very lived in feel thanks to all the wildlife.

Next step is getting to that CG feel of the movies. with thicker volumetrics and lighting. They are very close to the asset quality already, and i dont see why they cant hit it next gen with 4-5x more tflops. First 15 seconds of this clip with them flying through the forest is next gen goals, but im happy with what we have for now.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a joy to play on PC, Graphics still to today are amazing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On some of them the differences are even bigger. Going from raster to path tracing in CP2077 is the biggest difference you will see this gen between pc vs console.
I would argue that no. Going from raster to overdrive rt in 2077 is not bigger than what happened to stalker 2.
in fact, I wouldn't even say the overdrive RT is worth the performance hit.

UFaEMmw.jpeg

Edder1

I would argue that no. Going from raster to overdrive rt in 2077 is not bigger than what happened to stalker 2.

UFaEMmw.jpeg
It's unfair to use one shot to claim this kinda downgrade, with other shots downgrade doesn't look anywhere near as bad as this. This is like when people were posting fog shots from Avatar. Yes there's downgrade with Stalker, but at this point it's not clear what platform it was running on and in general things don't looks as bad as this with the rest of the trailer. If this was console footage then it makes plenty of sense since PC has been the primary development platform.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

UFaEMmw.jpeg
Lighting got a huge upgrade here. looks way more photorealistic than the original pic which has more foliage but also more gamey lighting.

besides, there are plenty of shots in the trailer with more foliage than this.

Lethal01

OMG. Fuck Avatar. This is next gen! Holy shit! That lighting, that open world, the art style. Just wow. This is what I wanted from Spiderman.

On a technical level the graphics are about the same as spiderman if not a worse. definitely not more "next gen"
In terms of how it actually looks, Yeah, fantastic, been saying it for decades, stylized art just looks better and is more sensible for hardware with limits.

Double fuck avatar though. looks okay graphically, nowhere near photorealistic, with extremely weak visuals.
I'll still admit the opening shot of the reveal was pretty nice though.
image.png

This is a F2P game everyone. From some random south korean or chinese dev. Edit: singapore?

cyvQMBX.gif

bkaTL9f.gif

p2iGomb.gif

bjNV1cz.gif

buhuEoQ.gif

Seems to be by Netease, one of the biggest names in the buisiness.

Last edited:

Turk1993

UFaEMmw.jpeg
👇

Lighting got a huge upgrade here. looks way more photorealistic than the original pic which has more foliage but also more gamey lighting.

besides, there are plenty of shots in the trailer with more foliage than this.
It's unfair to use one shot to claim this kinda downgrade, with other shots downgrade doesn't look anywhere near as bad as this. This is like when people were posting fog shots from Avatar. Yes there's downgrade with Stalker, but at this point it's not clear what platform it was running on and in general things don't looks as bad as this with the rest of the trailer. If this was console footage then it makes plenty of sense since PC has been the primary development platform.

Now look at the difference here, this is even the maxed out pc version which is even better looking than the console version
7.jpg

1.jpg

SlimySnake

On a technical level the graphics are about the same as spiderman if not a worse. definitely not more "next gen"
Oppenheimer%20(2023).jpg

The lighting quality is leagues ahead of spiderman. The world level of detail and asset quality as well.

The ray tracing on the streets, the NPCs, are all way ahead of spiderman.
Double fuck avatar though. looks okay graphically, nowhere near photorealistic, with extremely weak visuals.
I'll still admit the opening shot of the reveal was pretty nice though.
image.png
Avatar got a downgrade from the original reveal. It might no longer look photorealistic but it still looks a generation above last gen games like RDR2. It's a good next gen leap.

Turk1993

This guy is waffling lots of shit. The game doesn't have RT reflections (SSR artefacts everywhere) nor do the individual rain droplets react to the speed and wind direction. And the lighting and environments look really last gen. He said it can be compared to GT7 and FH5 which is absolutely not true. Both GT7 and FH5 destroy this game graphically.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

SlimySnake

Graphical wise Snow drop engine, northlight engine and deciema engine are currently holding up with unreal engine 5 even somtine beating it.
Ue5 has disappointed so far. Let’s see how avatar and Alan wake perform because ue5s cpu bound performance is atrocious In remnant and immortals.

Very curious to see death stranding 2 on decima. I thought hfw dropping to 1800p cb or roughly 1296p to hit 60 fps was bad but after seeing games drop to 720p to maintain 60 fps in forspoken, Star Wars, remnant , immortal and ff16, decima seems way more scalable than other game engines.

Honestly i fear for Witcher 4, Tomb raider, and other ue5 games because of the cpu issue with ue5. Avatar devs said that their engine scales with more cores so hopefully that engine is better optimized.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Oppenheimer%20(2023).jpg

The lighting quality is leagues ahead of spiderman. The world level of detail and asset quality as well.
The ray tracing on the streets, the NPCs, are all way ahead of spiderman.

I'd say the game giving that impression is mostly due to the style of the assets being simpler, it's easier to make a texture look "clean" when it's got big solid shapes with single solid colors. It's most obvious on the characters but it extends the the world as well. It's just got much less high frequency detail, and the sytle doesn't demand said detail.

What about the lighting do you think is better though, Higher res reflections? I think the game also benefits a lot from just making the streets straight up mirrors which a lot of people often complain about, makes things a lot easier.

You could be right about the quanitity of npcs though.

Other than that, the game's strengh over spider-man is it's artstyle which our current level of tech can do justice, not that it's much better technically than spiderman.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Basic, simple shapes, with basic simple colors, This isn't an insult, it's praise, i'm praising the game for looking nicer despite being only as impressive or less impressive than spiderman. The problem is Spiderman trying to use this level of power to do a realistic looking game and ending up looking cartoony, this game is meant to look cartoony, so it works.

Last edited:

Killer8

New Alan Wake Gameplay Footage.
What do you guys think?

AgJTWvQ.png

This bit right here shows one of the most impressive character models i've ever seen. The way the shadowing is cast in the eye pockets, along the forehead wrinkle, and subtly around the folds at the sides of the nose, conveys exactly how light behaves in real life when the source is directly above the head. Not to mention how details like the eyelashes react to the light. I genuinely thought this was the live action stuff the game also has mixed into the gameplay when I first watched it.

I'd say the game giving that impression is mostly due to the style of the assets being simpler, it's easier to make a texture look "clean" when it's got big solid shapes with single solid colors. It's most obvious on the characters but it extends the the world as well. It's just got much less high frequency detail, and the sytle doesn't demand said detail.

What about the lighting do you think is better though, Higher res reflections? I think the game also benefits a lot from just making the streets straight up mirrors which a lot of people often complain about, makes things a lot easier.

Other than that, the game's strengh over spider-man is it's artstyle which our current level of tech can do justice, not that it's much better technically than spiderman.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Basic, simple shapes, with basic simple colors, This isn't an insult, it's praise, i'm praising the game for looking nicer despite being only as impressive or less impressive than spiderman. The problem is Spiderman trying to use this level of power to do a realistic looking game and ending up looking cartoony, this game is meant to look cartoony, so it works.
Dude Even division 2 looks better than Spiderman 2. Spiderman 2 looks cartoonish compare to snowdrop

Lethal01

Dude Even division 2 looks better than Spiderman 2. Spiderman 2 looks cartoonish compare to snowdrop
image.png

This is more cartoony, and thus it's easier to achieve what it's going for even if it's only as technically as impressive as spiderman.
Achieving the desired look and being visually appealing is just fooling some into thinking it's more technologically advanced than it is.

Last edited:

Edder1

Doesn’t matter, EVENTUALLY Visuals will hit a peak…
We're probably decades away from that. We aren't even at early decent level cinema CGi yet (PS6 will maybe get us there) and CGI in cinema is still improving. I think at some point we're going to move to cloud gaming and local gaming will no longer be a thing (unless maybe on PC) and that will allow for very powerful hardware that consoles could never support. If we stick to consoles then we may never get there in our lifetime.

Last edited:

Edder1

I'm not that impressed by Avatar like some are here. I expected more from PC footage, especially disappointing to see RTGI that was promised no longer be a thing. Without RTGI it just looks same as consoles while having slightly sharper textures and better draw distance. Big meh from me.

From a visual perspective Alan Wake 2 looked the most impressive game at Gamescom. The material work and physically based rendering is beyond anything out there, almost mimicking what we saw with UE5 demos. This game is now a visual benchmark for third person linear videogames. Personally I can't wait to see what Max Payne duology looks like in couple of years time as I'm sure they'll improve their tech even more by then.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'm not that impressed by Avatar like some are here. I expected more from PC footage, especially disappointing to see RTGI that was promised no longer be a thing. Without RTGI it just looks same as consoles while having slightly sharper textures and better draw distance. Big meh from me.
But RTGI is in and was never taken out?

Technical director of the game.

Edder1

But RTGI is in and was never taken out?

Technical director of the game.

In the PC trailer it only showed RT shadows and reflections as options. Whatever RTGI they're using is obviously a massive downgrade from original trailer and is unnoticeable at this point. It's so bad that people have to ask them if it's still in the game. They probably purposefully downgraded PC version because they want visual parity across platforms so they can push online play. Huge disappointment.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

image.png

image.png

image.png

Look at the light bounce off of buildings and volumetrics. This isnt just fake fog a la horizon forbidden west. You can compare the dusk lighting with the lighting in the spiderman 2 trailer and see just how much better it looks. both have that orange hue but spiderman 2 looks like UE3 quality dusk lighting while this looks straight up CG.

8hsVk2X.gif

Mr6AMxP.gif

miles-spiderman-2.gif
BSHUngL.gif

This next gif is from the animated movie. notice how it resembles the lighting in Project mugen. Thats mostly due to proper light bounce where as spiderman feels flat.

200.gif

As far as asset quality goes, the world level of detail really shines at night time. You can see how 3d all the buildings feel. very cyberpunk like whereas spiderman buildings still have a very cardboard cutout feel to them.

Last edited:

Piggoro

AgJTWvQ.png

This bit right here shows one of the most impressive character models i've ever seen. The way the shadowing is cast in the eye pockets, along the forehead wrinkle, and subtly around the folds at the sides of the nose, conveys exactly how light behaves in real life when the source is directly above the head. Not to mention how details like the eyelashes react to the light. I genuinely thought this was the live action stuff the game also has mixed into the gameplay when I first watched it.
It looks incredible. I was a bit disappointed with generic and low quality (compared to the face) hand models. But nevertheless, the model is really impressive. If only animation/transitions/physics were equally advanced and less game'y.

SlimySnake

In the PC trailer it only showed RT shadows and reflections as options. Whatever RTGI they're using is obviously a huge downgrade from original trailer and is unnoticeable at this point. It's so bad that people have to ask them if it's still in the game. Huge disappointment and massive downgrade imo.
Yeah the game was downgraded from the original trailer. i thought we have been discussing this for the last three months in this thread. the real question was whether or not it will receive another downgrade after the PS5 E3 trailer and it only seems to look better here.

Game still has fantastic lighting thats easily a cut above last gen games and most current gen games.

97WAqnD.gif

Here is a before and after comparison. Downgrade is noticeable but not massive at least when comparing cutscenes.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Here is another:

O0DS1o3.gif

cRA3C6g.gif

Top Bottom