• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

bender

What time is it?
No it's not you stupid fucking cunt.
giphy.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Higher framerate is also part of looking better that's just a fact.
No it isn't. This is a myth the frame warriors have deluded themselves into thinking is fact.

How can a lower resolution, worse image quality, less effects on screen, worse shadows, no ray tracing, less foliage, worse textures, shorter draw distance, ETC, ETC, ETC, possibly look better? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I am sick of this narrative, especially in this thread.

60fps is a higher framerate, so the games PLAY smoother and FEEL better. Input lag will also be improved. They do not LOOK better. Enough :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Smoother animations and less input lag do not equate to a higher level of visual fidelity. Period point blank.

Hunnybun

I feel like i am taking crazy pills with some of you guys. Not being impressed by avatar is one thing, saying horizon and ratchet look better is something else.

how can you look at those screenshots and not realize how poor the lighting quality is compared to avatar? or the asset quality? or the draw distance?

I could pick out a few shots from Ratchet or Horizon that look WAY better than the worst stuff in Avatar. But what's the point? It would be puerile nonsense.

IMO they generally look better than Avatar generally looks. That's my opinion and I couldn't give a toss what you think of it.

Hunnybun

No it isn't. This is a myth the frame warriors have deluded themselves into thinking is fact.

How can a lower resolution, worse image quality, less effects on screen, worse shadows, no ray tracing, less foliage, worse textures, shorter draw distance, ETC, ETC, ETC, possibly look better? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

60fps is a higher framerate, so the games PLAY smoother and FEEL better. Input lag will also be improved. They do not LOOK better. Enough :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Smoother animations and less input lag do not equate to a higher level of visual fidelity. Period point blank.

Can you tell from watching gameplay whether a game is 30fps or 60fps (assuming all settings are equal)?

If you can't, then you frankly have no business having an opinion on this matter.

If you can, then you have conceded that 30fps and 60fps LOOK different. That's all we're saying. There is a visual difference, and that we prefer that difference to the difference produced by the enhanced effects and resolution etc.

It's not THAT complicated an argument, you know.

Represent.

Can you tell from watching gameplay whether a game is 30fps or 60fps (assuming all settings are equal)?

If you can't, then you frankly have no business having an opinion on this matter.

If you can, then you have conceded that 30fps and 60fps LOOK different. That's all we're saying. There is a visual difference, and that we prefer that difference to the difference produced by the enhanced effects and resolution etc.

It's not THAT complicated an argument, you know.
Brah, I have been playing games for 30 years, of course I can.

And yes, 30 and 60 do LOOK different - the 30 always LOOKS better. Thats my point :|

The 60 always plays smoother. I mean this is the entire point of the 30 vs 60 compromise. Graphics vs performance

As a true graphics slut I always take the looks because the 30fps is perfectly smooth for me

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Not sure if this was already posted here, but apparently this anime-like Tokyo cityscape was made by a single dev in UE, ofc with using some of the assets available on the marketplace.

Represent.

Until you move the camera and suddenly you need a ton of vaseline uh... motion blur to not have a stuttery mess.
Motion clarity is also a big part of how a game looks and boy do 30 fps suck in that regard.....
I also play with motion blur, chromatic abberation and film grain all maxed out. And on my OLED its either always on VIVID mode or Film maker mode (Both calibrated to my own tastes, based on the game) I am a frame warriors worst fucking nightmare.

Bro i have been saying this everytime this convo comes up, not as eloquently as you put it, but everytime i say it a few people always tell me im wrong. I'm also sick of the narrative. Fluidity is the only thing better about the visuals of a higher fps/lower graphics and resolution game, despite what they want to believe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those settings are all on in the game by default. I mean who wants to play the game as developers intended? Let’s turn everything off and get a bland ass image
While i think you are nuts for playing on vivid mode, it always bugs me how flat and bland games look on game mode. Like wtf was the point of me spending $2,000 on a top of the live TV when half of its features are turned off with game mode on.

Honestly, we need to stop being impressed by graphics. All we're getting out of better graphics is bloated filesizes and excessively long development times to render every single strand of beard hair on Kratos' face.

Video games never needed to look better than Silent Hill 3.

Hunnybun

Brah, I have been playing games for 30 years, of course I can.

And yes, 30 and 60 do LOOK different - the 30 always LOOKS better. Thats my point :|

The 60 always plays smoother. I mean this is the entire point of the 30 vs 60 compromise. Graphics vs performance

As a true graphics slut I always take the looks because the 30fps is perfectly smooth for me

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SAME GAME, WITH THE EXACT SAME SETTINGS, BUT ONE AT 30 AND ONE AT 60.

COULD YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BY WATCHING THEM IN MOTION?

alloush

While i think you are nuts for playing on vivid mode, it always bugs me how flat and bland games look on game mode. Like wtf was the point of me spending $2,000 on a top of the live TV when half of its features are turned off with game mode on.
I never ever play on Game Mode even if it meant a more laggy experience, but game mode makes the game looks dull, deprived of all the goodies!

Honestly this is a question I always wanted to ask, what’s the best of both worlds in terms of tv mode to play on, one that preserves the graphics of the game whilst presenting some of the perks that come with game mode.

Last edited:
Forspoken environments are quite nice looking. A step behind FF16 in terms of lighting and the performamce in Forspoken isn't a solid 40 fps but otherwise looks better than a lot of games this gen in the 4k/40 mode.

They downgraded too much tho. From a next gen to a cross gen game and people will always be harder on it for dat

Represent.

This game looks fucking amazing.

Edit; I think it may be one of the best looking games ever, what the fuck. The scale and destruction gives it the edge over other games. Truly LARGE scale battles. Wow

Last edited:

Lethal01

Stop being retarded, I never said any of those things.
I said higher framerate improves visuals, as in with all else equal 60fps looks better than 10 fps. it's a better visual experience.

Last edited:

Represent.

Stop being retarded, I never said any of those things.
I said higher framerate looks improves visuals, as in with all else equal 60fps looks better than 10 fps. it's a ebtter visual experience.
Well duh...
The point is they are NEVER equal on console. The 30fps fidelity mode always looks superior. So the point you and the other guy are trying to make is moot.
"If graphics are the same, then 60fps is better"... Duh. But that is never the case on console.
camby.png

On a good PC, sure. Which is why I have been saying for ages, if you demand 60fps, buy a PC.

Lethal01

Well duh...
The point is they are NEVER equal on console. The 30fps fidelity mode always looks superior. So the point you and the other guy are trying to make is moot.
"If graphics are the same, then 60fps is better"... Duh. But that is never the case on console.
camby.png

On a good PC, sure. Which is why I have been saying for ages, if you demand 60fps, buy a PC.
So again it's a fact that frame rate improves game visuals, what you personally value will always just be an opinion.

Lethal01

Not sure if this was already posted here, but apparently this anime-like Tokyo cityscape was made by a single dev in UE, ofc with using some of the assets available on the marketplace.

I dunno about you guys but it's starting to seem like there some sort of "difference" between making a single nice looking city in a bubble and making a city to be used in a full fledge game?!? I dunno, probably just crazy talk.

Represent.

So again it's a fact that frame rate improves game visuals, what you personally value will always just be an opinion.
Nah. Thats not what Im saying.

60fps in itselft does NOT make a game look better.

You said, if graphics are the SAME, then would I rather play 60fps? Then sure. Because it offers higher fluidity.

That is not the same as "60fps makes games look better".

You guys are trying to put a twist on reality.

Games look better at 30fps, 100% of the time.

There literally isnt a single game in history where the 30fps mode doesn't look better than the 60fps mode.

Someone please start the "FrameRate I expect next gen" thread. Im sure you'll have more fun in there.

Last edited:
I never ever play on Game Mode even if it meant a more laggy experience, but game mode makes the game looks dull, deprived of all the goodies!

Honestly this is a question I always wanted to ask, what’s the best of both worlds in terms of tv mode to play on, one that preserves the graphics of the game whilst presenting some of the perks that come with game mode.

There's no best of both worlds unfortunately because as soon as ypu leave game mode then BOOM, lag is twice as bad. Wish there was some 'in between' mode but they don't exist.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Star Wars Jedi Survivor is already a game which looks really good in my opinion, especially on a good PC, this is the game in 5160*2160 (5K Ultrawide, DLSS, Frame Generation, Ultra Settings with Raytracing and ReShade:

2Oamkmi.jpg

vd0LlWi.jpg

VMLQ5xM.jpg

IoM9Yvg.jpg

NADIpEI.jpg

zMQKyM4.jpg

And this game only uses a modified UE4 as far as I know.
Its a beautiful looking game but reshade obviously makes it look better than what I played on PC maxed out.

Portugeezer

They promised faster flying speeds thanks to the ssds way back in 2021. I think they have delivered. Havent seen much pop-in but its only been marketing material so far it will be interesting to see the final game. HFW's marketing had plenty of flying shots with no pop-in.

Love this shot.

cRA3C6g.gif

EDIT: I accidentally captured these gifs from the the 1080p feed on youtube instead of the 4k feed. Will reupload them later.
EDIT2: Reuploaded in full 4k glory.
I thought this was Horizon FW for a second.

Edder1

It’s crazy that this is from world war z devs. Not only are they pushing massive amounts of enemies but they were able to also push insane detail in the world itself that is clearly a massive leap over last Gen games.

It just might be the best looking game of the year.
To me it just doesn't have that "WOW" factor to be the best looking game. It's definitely a generational jump, especially with the amounts of enemies and stuff on screen. The cutscenes are ridiculous though, almost CGI level stuff.

Last edited:

Lethal01

60fps in itselft does NOT make a game look better.

It does. I'm just not saying it makes it look better than the things it may come at the cost of when devs go for it on console.
But a high framerate makes the visuals better as much as resolution does, that's just a fact.

I'm also very willing to sacrifice 60 for other things on consoles, but I'm not gonna lie and say it doesn't make the image visual quality higher, that would be same as saying resolution doesn't improve visual quality, only lighting and asset quality does.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Edit; I think it may be one of the best looking games ever, what the fuck. The scale and destruction gives it the edge over other games. Truly LARGE scale battles. Wow

I'm really hoping this is with raytracing off, the lighting inaccuracies are pretty glaring, would look a lot better if shit wasn't constantly glowing.
Other than that though lots of nice color choices, big fan of the aesthetic of the armor.

alloush

There's no best of both worlds unfortunately because as soon as ypu leave game mode then BOOM, lag is twice as bad. Wish there was some 'in between' mode but they don't exist.
Being the graphics whore that I am (jeez that sounds weird) I opt for game mode off most of the time. Only time I enable that shit is when I am playing sports games or in the rare occasion online.

Having said that, wasn’t there like some kinda alliance formed by the big tech companies regarding offering high level graphics without having the need to enable game mode? I am talking about ALLM.

Montauk

Do the regulars in this thread ever wonder if they’re just intentionally driving themselves crazy, torturing themselves?

Do you ever think you’ll be happy? Do you ever worry this obsession interferes with your ability to love games?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Panasonic oleds let you put game mode response on every visual mode, kinda absurd that no one else does that.

Game mode looks dead on an lg c1, even worse without calibration, this is probably why people care for hdr.

GymWolf

Gold Member

It looks good but the shooting look eh...i don't know.

I feel like shooting at mini xenomorphs is a huge downgrade over fucking up orcs...i know they chose them to replicate the big numbers they did in the world war z series of games, but little xenomorphs are just super uninteresting enemies.

Not gonna lie, if the game is just shooting at these things for 10-15 hours i'm gonna be severely disappointed.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly, we need to stop being impressed by graphics. All we're getting out of better graphics is bloated filesizes and excessively long development times to render every single strand of beard hair on Kratos' face.

Video games never needed to look better than Silent Hill 3.
But we don't need great filesizes to achieve amazing graphics we just need longer dev times and more assistance.

Also, they're nice to look at.

Luipadre

Star Wars Jedi Survivor is already a game which looks really good in my opinion, especially on a good PC, this is the game in 5160*2160 (5K Ultrawide, DLSS, Frame Generation, Ultra Settings with Raytracing and ReShade:

2Oamkmi.jpg

vd0LlWi.jpg

VMLQ5xM.jpg

IoM9Yvg.jpg

NADIpEI.jpg

zMQKyM4.jpg

And this game only uses a modified UE4 as far as I know.

Im still waiting for them to fix this mess. They probably never will. It will be in game pass soon anyways

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Higher resolution, more effects, ray tracing, higher fidelity overall. Not a single 60fps game in history has looked better than its 30fps counterpart. Literally always. Its not a matter of opinion lol. 99.9% of trailers, bullshots, and promotion material for games have been captured in 30fps fidelity mode - they capture footage from the best looking version of the game.

You guys gotta stop demanding 60fps on console games late into the gen. You are limiting graphical and design potential with this absurd obsession over framerate. And yes, it is absurd.
Not even the versions on PC which tend to have better visual fidelity than console and still manage to run better?

would you seriously take a 30fps version of a game over 60 even when every single other aspect of it is the same, including the graphical detail? Get fucking real dude. This is why people will clown on you for this shit.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I dunno about you guys but it's starting to seem like there some sort of "difference" between making a single nice looking city in a bubble and making a city to be used in a full fledge game?!? I dunno, probably just crazy talk.
when the tech demos include NPCs walking around, car destruction physics and all the other minute details that come with a game over a techdemo you kind of have to question why the devs don't just use this in their games.

Top Bottom