• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Xtib81

HygOSRe.gif

The perfect illustration of 'looks good in that gif but trash on a large screen.'

Edder1

Not sure what Lethal is smoking, but that Space Marine 2 footage looks top tier. If this was a Sony or Microsoft exclusive the usual suspects would be twerking all over it. I've seen folks i this thread twerk for games like Forspoken, Spiderman 2 etc., and yet they wanna act like Space Marine 2 isn't a stellar looking game.

And before you get people try downplay games they don't like by saying "gameplay this, gameplay that", they may wanna check the title of the thread and go find one that's gameplay centric.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not sure what Lethal is smoking, but that Space Marine 2 footage looks top tier. If this was a Sony or Microsoft exclusive the usual suspects would be twerking all over it.
It would be the most hyped game of the year if it was an exclusive. Shit looks stupid good and fun

This looks seriously fantastic. To some people who post in this thread 'good graphics' mean:

• Oversaturated colors
  • Headache inducing camera effects
  • Contrast higher than Snoop Dogg
  • Vaseline like depth of field on everything
Check most of these and they'll be screaming 'NEXT GEN!!!'. Very weird behavior.
cough HORIZON 2 cough

Xtib81

You’ve already played it on your large screen? Thought early access was tomorrow evening?
Just watching the gameplay shown in the gif on a large screen. When watching the gif I was like 'oh it looks nice', then I watched on a large screen and I was more like 'well, it's quite poor looking actually'. 'Trash' is an overstatement I'll admit.

Last edited:
Just watching the gameplay shown in the gif on a large screen. When watching the gif I was like 'oh it looks nice', then I watched on a large screen and I was more like 'well, it's quite poor looking actually'. 'Trash' is an overstatement I'll admit.
I’d reserve judgement. A compressed 480p gif will look like shit on a big tv no matter what game. I’m excited to see it in native 4k tomorrow at 7

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Respectfully disagree. I find it to be an overrated cross gen piece of software. It’s pretty but I’ve seen people here say it beats matrix, avatar, etc

I don’t think it’s fair to compare it with a tech demo and game that’s not even released.

Here and now it’s one of the best looking games. I’d love to see it released on PC and spiced up with RTGI.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not sure what Lethal is smoking, but that Space Marine 2 footage looks top tier. If this was a Sony or Microsoft exclusive the usual suspects would be twerking all over it. I've seen folks i this thread twerk for games like Forspoken, Spiderman 2 etc., and yet they wanna act like Space Marine 2 isn't a stellar looking game. What a joke.

And before you get people try downplay games they don't like by saying "gameplay this, gameplay that", they may wanna check the title of the thread and go find one that's gameplay centric.
The game is doing so many things that are next gen:

- high number of enemies and NPCs on screen.
- fantastic level of detail in environmental assets
- insane skybox detail, fully dynamic, just leagues ahead of last gen stuff and even ratchet
- gorgeous lighting with some of the best volumetrics ive seen all gen

I don’t think it’s fair to compare it with a tech demo and game that’s not even released.

Here and now it’s one of the best looking games. I’d love to see it released on PC and spiced up with RTGI.
I’m sorry I find that to be a erroneous argument. For example. Let’s say I’m watching an uncharted 4 trailer in 2015. I say “it looks better than uncharted 1-3”. Whether it’s released or not is irrelevant.

My assessment would be based on the real time visuals displayed in front of me in marketing and demos against the real time visuals I have played myself of the original trilogy

CGNoire

Yeah, this is shitting on practically everything. It has the same fidelity as the top tier games with WAY larger scale battles and actual destruction. Best looking game of the gen thus far.

Im going to buy the living fuck out of this game. To me this is finally a "The Order" moment.

A random ass game just comes out of fucking nowhere and decimates

Have you played the 1st one? Its fantastic and looks great still.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I’m sorry I find that to be a erroneous argument. For example. Let’s say I’m watching an uncharted 4 trailer in 2015. I say “it looks better than uncharted 1-3”. Whether it’s released or not is irrelevant.

My assessment would be based on the real time visuals displayed in front of me in marketing and demos against the real time visuals I have played myself of the original trilogy

And guess what, Uncharted 4 was downgraded. And guess what, Ubisoft is notorious for downgrading the living shit out of their games. I want to see the game running natively on my TV. Until then it’s nice to speculate and nothing more.

Represent.

Impressive. Very nice.

I’d love to see a high quality 4k footage of this. There’s so much shit happening on the screen at once, YouTube simply can’t keep up and is killing all the detail.
Yeah all the footage is compressed to hell, even the official screenshots, the ones I posted were directly from their website.

Be warned though, game is going to crush PC's. One Preview I listened to said they had a 4090 running it at 1440p and still could only get 30fps. (Not that I give a shit about that, but for the frame warriors out there, might be an issue)

In the same video another guy was running it with a 3070 and getting single digit frames.

Hoping the PS5 version abandons the 60fps mode completely and aims to maintain similar fidelity

And guess what, Uncharted 4 was downgraded. And guess what, Ubisoft is notorious for downgrading the living shit out of their games. I want to see the game running natively on my TV. Until then it’s nice to speculate and nothing more.
And guess what else. It still looked leagues better than uncharted 1-3. Thus validating my point

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah all the footage is compressed to hell, even the official screenshots, the ones I posted were directly from their website.

Be warned though, game is going to crush PC's. One Preview I listened to said they had a 4090 running it at 1440p and still could only get 30fps. (Not that I give a shit about that, but for the frame warriors out there, might be an issue)

In the same video another guy was running it with a 3070 and getting single digit frames.

Hoping the PS5 version abandons the 60fps mode completely and aims to maintain similar fidelity

I’m not surprised. 30FPS is fine if the game is pushing the envelope. On PC let’s hope there won’t be any stupid graphics card exclusivity deals and it will support frame generation from both AMD and Nvidia.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Space Marine II looks nice but some stuff are decidedly last gen. Pop in is evident in several scenery stuff as you progress through and grass is not interactive and looks very last generation if not worse. But sure, great scale and loads of stuff happening on screen and great asset quality for most of it.

Some more polish needed with some floating objects here and there or the way some of the scripted sequences with explosions & such work but it's a different matter to whether the engine implements interactive foliage and such or not and the game's not finished so it's more understandable 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Driver issue?

SlimySnake

Wtf? That means there is a massive downgrade coming.

Very disappointing. Explains why the game looks amazing though. They were targeting 1440p 30 fps on what is essentially a 40 tflops card. Basically next Gen specs.

If they don’t downgrade then the 3080 will run this at 900p 30 fps. Ps5 at 640p 30 fps. So yeah, downgrade incoming.

Represent.

Wtf? That means there is a massive downgrade coming.

Very disappointing. Explains why the game looks amazing though. They were targeting 1440p 30 fps on what is essentially a 40 tflops card. Basically next Gen specs.

If they don’t downgrade then the 3080 will run this at 900p 30 fps. Ps5 at 640p 30 fps. So yeah, downgrade incoming.
To be fair though this was the only preview I listened to that said anything about that. None of the others mentioned that. So it could just be him. Or they havent optimized yet. Idk.

I have faith

Imtjnotu

This looks seriously fantastic. To some people who post in this thread 'good graphics' mean:

• Oversaturated colors
  • Headache inducing camera effects
  • Contrast higher than Snoop Dogg
  • Vaseline like depth of field on everything
Check most of these and they'll be screaming 'NEXT GEN!!!'. Very weird behavior.
My boy said "contrast higher than snoop dog"

Snoop Dogg Lol GIF

Lethal01

Not sure what Lethal is smoking, but that Space Marine 2 footage looks top tier. If this was a Sony or Microsoft exclusive the usual suspects would be twerking all over it. I've seen folks i this thread twerk for games like Forspoken, Spiderman 2 etc., and yet they wanna act like Space Marine 2 isn't a stellar looking game. What a joke.

I said that it's lighting wasn't impressive and didn't look next gen, in what way am I wrong? I haven't seen anything about it's lighting system that puts it above games with raytracing. I even said that it's impressive if it's console footage but I'm dissapointed if it's pc footage.

I didn't say, this whole game looks shit and there is nothing impressive about it. I just say that it's meh lighting really jumps out to me.
So again, what about it's lighting is next gen that makes me so crazy for mentioning it.

Yes it’s called cinematography. There is a reason why euro trash studios that push fancy resray tracing effects and textures like the metro and plagues tale devs can’t compete with the naughty dogs and rockstar.

Good art doesn't equal next gen though, a game isn't more next gen cause you like it's aesethetic more.

SlimySnake

Good art doesn't equal next gen though, a game isn't more next gen cause you like it's aesethetic more.
I am not talking about art or assets. I am talking about cinematography which is lighting, scene and color composition. Something like when Metro Exodus sets a level in the forest and even with ray tracing GI, shadows, AO and reflections, it looks worse than the forests in Horizon FW and RDR2.

Dismissing those lighting choices as visual diarrehea and souped up contrast is undermining the efforts to give the game's lighting a cinematic feel instead of the dull, boring and flat lighting and scene composition we see in so many other games.

As for its technical shortcomings, Sorry im not seeing it. The lighting is clearly a cut above last gen games. Look at those volumetrics. TLOU2 had its GI on bonfires reduced in the final version. This fire is massive and lighting a huge hall. The second gif shows stunning asset quality, geometry detail and asset diversity. The final gif is doing things no one has even attempted to do this gen. If this game isnt next gen, nothing is.

ivzAHQg.gif

1fbEJL1.gif

FuPGEJr.gif

Last edited:

Edder1

I said that it's lighting wasn't impressive and didn't look next gen, in what way am I wrong? I haven't seen anything about it's lighting system that puts it above games with raytracing. I even said that it's impressive if it's console footage but I'm dissapointed if it's pc footage.
Everything about the game is a step up from last gen, including lighting. If lighting was poor as you claim then it would stand out like a sore thumb because the rest of the game is so on point, but it doesn't. And you're the only one complaining about lighting, so maybe you're just nitpicking. I'm not sure what other next gen games have that much better lighting tbh. The game is definitely going for more subdued colours and tone, which maybe has you thinking that lighting is not impressive.

Lethal01

I am not talking about art or assets. I am talking about cinematography which is lighting, scene and color composition.
Yes, all that is art.

Dismissing those lighting choices as visual diarrehea and souped up contrast is undermining the efforts to give the game's lighting a cinematic feel instead of the dull, boring and flat lighting and scene composition we see in so many other games.
Not dismissing them, just noting that none of those things make the game more next gen, it makes it look better, which is very separate even if I value it far more. we are talking about next gen graphics here, not just graphics

As for its technical shortcomings, Sorry im not seeing it. The lighting is clearly a cut above last gen games. Look at those volumetrics. TLOU2 had its GI on bonfires reduced in the final version. This fire is massive and lighting a huge hall.

ivzAHQg.gif

This fire is massive and lighting a huge hall.
And? the light source being bigger does not make it more technically challenging, that's got nothing to do with being next gen. We have tons of games with large light sources with big areas of influence. It would be impressive if that GI was actually accurate and the light wasn't passing throug solid objects.

The final gif is doing things no one has even attempted to do this gen.
FuPGEJr.gif

The game is definitely going for more subdued colours and tone, which maybe has you thinking that lighting is not impressive.
Nah, infact i'd say it's more saturated than many.
Again, what about the lighting is a "clear step up" it's got all the same issues as any other game. It's got the same screen space reflections with all the problems that brings, it's got the same inaccurate GI leading to objects glowing, it's got the same missing shadows for many light sources... Seriously what here is impressive on the lighting end.

I didn't even say it was poor, I agree it's about as good as other console games, I'm just saying that compared to raytraced PC games it's lacking, which is normal and understandable, I was just assuming this was PC footage.

Again, I can appreciate the large number of enemies, and the object density is indeed good and I do like the large amount of smoke effects this game has it's merits, the lighting isn't one of em on a technical level.

Last edited:

Edder1

I didn't even say it was poor, I agree it's about as good as other console games, I'm just saying that compared to raytraced PC games it's lacking, which is normal and understandable, I was just assuming this was PC footage.

Again, I can appreciate the large number of enemies, and the object density is indeed good and I do like the large amount of smoke effects
Games on PC that enhance lighting due to raytracing are very few and usually extremely taxing. It's not realistic to expect every game to support features like that due to budget constants etc. I think whatever they're doing here is very competent and they're putting many big AAA devs to shame.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Games on PC that enhance lighting due to raytracing are very few and usually extremely taxing. It's not realistic to expect every game to support features like that due to budget constants etc. I think whatever they're doing here is very competent and they're putting many big AAA devs to shame.

Okay, so we agree that this game is not pushing the boundaries with it's lighting and we've got a solid list of AAA and AA games with better, it fails where they succeed but may succeed in places they failed. That's all I was saying, Warhammer is impressive in many ways, but there are other games that has it beat in the area of lighting.

Also we know this game has raytracing support, which is another reason why the lighting issues being so noticeable was worth mentioning for me.

If it had all this going for it combined with lighting as good as those other games Id probably also be going, "now this is next gen"

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So i went back to Witcher 3 last night after being disappointed by just how bad the RT performance was at launch, and well, it is still trash.

At launch, I had only played the DLC area. I was like wtf is this cartoony lighting and quit.

F41CeEaWUAANiu0

This time, I went back to the main campaign in Skillege and I was honestly blown away by how good it looked. I know there was some discussion here about the RT version looking very close to the original trailer and I remember laughing at that because my only frame of reference was the first DLC area, but after going back to the main campaign where the lighting is far more grounded, it became clear just how big of an upgrade RT makes to foliage. It's mostly RT shadows doing the heavy lifting but could also be RTGI and RTAO that properly darkens the trees and leaves that stick out like a sore thumb in the non-RT mode. Honestly, my biggest complaint was how poor the foliage looked in the downgraded release. And its been resolved!

RT Off
F41BalWWgAAQBcL

RT On
F41BalTWoAAheH1

RT Off
F41BaliXkAAEbQx

RT On
F41BalRW8AEKbHV

And one final screenshot because it looks so much like that original reveal trailer.

F41CeFEWsAAZmI8

Edder1

Okay, so we agree that this game is not pushing the boundaries with it's lighting and we've got a solid list of AAA and AA games with better, it fails where they succeed but may succeed in places they failed. .
Absolutely not. The raytraced lighting you're talking about is extremely niche and will probably reman so for the duration of this gen, so using that as some kind of measurement standard is unrealistic. The game is extremely competent in visual department and stands toe to toe with the best we've seen so far. As for raytraced lighting that require very expensive GPUs then that's like saying that if a game isn't running at 120fps or more then it's not impressive.

Lethal01

Absolutely not. The raytraced lighting you're talking about is extremely niche and will probably reman so for the duration of this gen, so using that as some kind of measurement standard is unrealistic. The game is extremely competent in visual department and stands toe to toe with the best we've seen so far. As for raytraced lighting that require very expensive GPUs then that's like saying that if a game isn't running at 120fps or more then it's not impressive.

Well it was specifically stated that this game has better lighting than other games, but there is nothing to back that up, it doesn't look better than even games without RT lighting.

Top Bottom