• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Lethal01

That can be said about any game. To act like game's lighting is unimpressive because of lack of RT that require beefy PCs to run is just ridiculous imo. Might as well open PCMR thread and complain about it there.

not that it's unimpressive because it's not matching PC RT.

I said it's no better than the lighting in most other big games right now, no better than a lot of crossgen games.
I said there are already games with RT on console that have better lighting on console even if they fall behind in other areas. It's lighting is not impressive, it's standard.
I said that I'm hoping this is with the RT(that they announced was in the game) off, because it would mean there is a version of this game with impressive lighting coming.
I said for PS5 footage running at 60 it looks great.

but in terms of the lighting being next gen

Last edited:

Edder1

I didn't say it's unimpressive because it's not matching PC RT.

I said it's no better than the lighting in most other big games right now, no better than a lot of crossgen games.
I said there are already games with RT on console that have better lighting on console even if they fall behind in other areas. It's lighting is not impressive, it's standard.
I said that I'm hoping this is with the RT(that they announced was in the game) off, because it would mean there is a version of this game with impressive lighting coming.
I said for PS5 footage running at 60 it looks great.
Not sure what these games are you're speaking of. First you said it's not better than games that use RT and now you say "most games". Would like to know what these "most games" are.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I am not talking about art or assets. I am talking about cinematography which is lighting, scene and color composition. Something like when Metro Exodus sets a level in the forest and even with ray tracing GI, shadows, AO and reflections, it looks worse than the forests in Horizon FW and RDR2.

Dismissing those lighting choices as visual diarrehea and souped up contrast is undermining the efforts to give the game's lighting a cinematic feel instead of the dull, boring and flat lighting and scene composition we see in so many other games.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said visual diarrhea, I was referring to that Cyberpunk themed demo from few pages back. Games are Red Dead Redemption 2 are masterclass when it comes to art direction. I love how that game looks. It's not aiming to be realistic. I call that look 'dreamy'. It's like looking back at nice memories after a short while and they are just that tiny bit more vivid than they actually were.

I know there was some discussion here about the RT version looking very close to the original trailer and I remember laughing at that because my only frame of reference was the first DLC area, but after going back to the main campaign where the lighting is far more grounded, it became clear just how big of an upgrade RT makes to foliage.

Yeah, that was me. I called the game a moving painting or something like that. I think that's the problem we're facing here. We're having a different experiences with games and on a vastly different hardware. I played through the entire game on PC with 4090 at max settings and frame generation. I was floored by how good it looks.

Next step: get your hand on a baller PC and play Cyberpunk 2077 at max settings. I bet you'd adjust your views on that title. It can look so damn good in motion, it fucks with your brain. No joke.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Not sure what these games are you're speaking of. First you said it's not better than games that use RT and now you say "most games".
And both of those things are true.
It's definitely not better than a game with raytracing.
And it's along the lines of those without

Would like to know what these "most games" are.
The usuals, Forza, Plague tale, the last of us, horizon, death stranding, cod, etc etc.

Edder1

The usuals, Forza, Plague tale, the last of us, horizon, death stranding, cod, etc etc.
I'll give you Forza maybe/maybe not, but no way do last gen games like TLOU, DS and COD have better lighting. HFW is not necessarily better, it just uses much more vibrant colours and art direction.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Respectfully disagree. I find it to be an overrated cross gen piece of software. It’s pretty but I’ve seen people here say it beats matrix, avatar, etc
When a cross gen game beats out just about every other game out there outside of maybe pc powerhouses like cyberpunk and is being called overrated for being compared to a tech demo and an unreleased "UBISOFT" game you know they did a damn good job in visuals.

Edder1

Warhammer - "development footage subject to change", yeah get ready for downgrades. Dont believe in gameplay until the game is almost out.
Those guys have a very capable engine and their games never downgrade. The latest footage does look better than previous ones, but most likely it was showcased on beefy PC.

Lethal01

I'll give you Forza maybe/maybe not, but no way do last gen games like TLOU, DS and COD have better lighting. HFW is not necessarily better, it just uses much more vibrant colours and art direction.
Okay, what in warhammer is better than them? it uses the same tech for reflection, has the same problem with shadows many lights missing shadows completely as well as a lack of indirect shadows.
What specific thing about the lighting tech is standing out to you?

tcr6zqifVqrZOw9u.jpg

Last edited:
When a cross gen game beats out just about every other game out there outside of maybe pc powerhouses like cyberpunk and is being called overrated for being compared to a tech demo and an unreleased "UBISOFT" game you know they did a damn good job in visuals.
I mean that’s presupposing that it beats every other game out there which id challenge

Also it wasn’t just any old tech demo was it? It was a playable slice that you could download from your games market place. It’s not like say the infiltrator UE4 demo or something. You could walk around the city. Shoot. Drive. It was a little game you were running in real time that made horizon look like the PS4 game that it is

Edder1

Okay, what in warhammer is better than them? it uses the same tech for reflection, has the same problem with shadows many lights missing shadows completely as well as a lack of indirect shadows.
Absolutely it is better in every way. It you're talking about accuracy of lighting then you have a point, but unless you're using path tracing no game is doing accurate lighting. The only modern game that uses path tracing is Cyberpunk and even that is using a light version of path tracing and many things including reflections are still not properly done like in a full path traced game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This will probably never see the light of day , but as far as demos go this, similar to Unrecord,
is a great demonstration of what UE5 is capable of in the right hands, especially a team of passionate devs with a thirst for details

Holy shit. I guess Unrecord wasnt an outlier.

UE5 has been getting a lot of flack recently with some really poorly performing releases over the last couple of months but I hope thats just because the devs arent up to the task.

Alex11

Yeah, that was me. I called the game a moving painting or something like that. I think that's the problem we're facing here. We're having a different experiences with games and on a vastly different hardware. I played through the entire game on PC with 4090 at max settings and frame generation. I was floored by how good it looks.

Next step: get your hand on a baller PC and play Cyberpunk 2077 at max settings. I bet you'd adjust your views on that title. It can look so damn good in motion, it fucks with your brain. No joke.
Nice to see someone acknowledging how good Witcher RT at max settings really is. Not to mention Cyberpunk 2077, which is unreal, really curious if/how they are improving the graphics with the DLC.

SlimySnake

New Lords of The Fallen gameplay. Looks good. 3rd party has stepped up big time. Time for 1st Party to show up..

Dude the animations are sick. Not robotic like they are in souls game.

And yes, it took time but after 3 years, third party are finally showing up. Its insane that Sony and MS first party have been asleep at the wheel despite access to so-called $200 million budgets. They should be ashamed of themselves for getting beat out by B tier studios with 1/10th the budget.

And no, starfield is basically third party. A next gen game fucking Zenimax greenlit in 2015. Meanwhile Sony and MS forced cross gen down the throats of developers starting dev on their games in 2017 and 2018. despicable.

H . R . 2

UE5 has been getting a lot of flack recently with some really poorly performing releases over the last couple of months but I hope thats just because the devs arent up to the task.
well the majority of those devs are AAA studios transitioning to UE5 mid-project
Also, these demos made by indie or single-dev studios are sometimes more impressive than their AAA counterparts due to their unprecedented attention to detail and atmosphere
because the only limit for them is their own time and creativity
Look at the details on the floor, no AAA studio would put that much time, budget, or energy into a scene unless they have an extremely efficient pipeline and creative process
That must have taken at least a month to make, I don't see many asset flips. everything seems unique
That's why I love Indie devs nowadays more than the AAA ones

This one reminded me of another UE5 demo
However the one below was 'pre-rendered' as far as I remember

nor was this

Last edited:

SlimySnake

meanwhile, I am still patiently waiting for this extremely intriguing UE5-powered game to finally come the f#ck out

holy shit. I hadnt seen the new gameplay videos posted. Just wow. I really love the movement animations with the shotgun. I feel like this is the next step devs have to take. They are already spending hundreds of millions of dollars in graphics, 150 hour games, and expansions that take 3 years to make. It's time to reinvent movements. I remember KZ2's CG trailer had those stunning animations that we were told were impossible in games. Well, you have $200 million to make games now and over 50x more graphical horsepower. make it possible. Get to fucking work.

H . R . 2

holy shit. I hadnt seen the new gameplay videos posted. Just wow. I really love the movement animations with the shotgun. I feel like this is the next step devs have to take. They are already spending hundreds of millions of dollars in graphics, 150 hour games, and expansions that take 3 years to make. It's time to reinvent movements. I remember KZ2's CG trailer had those stunning animations that we were told were impossible in games. Well, you have $200 million to make games now and over 50x more graphical horsepower. make it possible. Get to fucking work.
this is not new
and
Oh I forgot to mention
Only the first couple of minutes is in-game
the rest I believe is a concept trailer that was made in UE4
still very impressive

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
That thing doesn't look good enough to fear a big downgrade because if that is the best this gen can do, we are royally fucked, avatar looks noticeably better imo.

Slimy probably forgot that some old gen games already had hundreds of enemies on screen.

Their previous games had hundreds of enemies on screen on a ps4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not talking about art or assets. I am talking about cinematography which is lighting, scene and color composition. Something like when Metro Exodus sets a level in the forest and even with ray tracing GI, shadows, AO and reflections, it looks worse than the forests in Horizon FW and RDR2.

Dismissing those lighting choices as visual diarrehea and souped up contrast is undermining the efforts to give the game's lighting a cinematic feel instead of the dull, boring and flat lighting and scene composition we see in so many other games.

As for its technical shortcomings, Sorry im not seeing it. The lighting is clearly a cut above last gen games. Look at those volumetrics. TLOU2 had its GI on bonfires reduced in the final version. This fire is massive and lighting a huge hall. The second gif shows stunning asset quality, geometry detail and asset diversity. The final gif is doing things no one has even attempted to do this gen. If this game isnt next gen, nothing is.

ivzAHQg.gif

1fbEJL1.gif

FuPGEJr.gif
Can I blowjob a video game?

H . R . 2

EKb3CaLvSqT87P7VmmBPDL.jpg

VrJnZrQcRq6B68W4qZeKzK.jpg

HGKKbm5gnUny3vD25y2YKL.jpg

"you're able to take a more exacting approach to writing your escape – directly manipulating the story one plot point at a time.
As you explore the Dark Place, Alan will encounter sources of inspiration, ideas which he can fold into his writing."

this gameplay mechanic will give players the chance to explore more of AW2 visuals over the course of multiple playthroughs, must be interesting
also I believe these are ps5 screens, The RT reflections are missing

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That thing doesn't look good enough to fear a big downgrade because if that is the best this gen can do, we are royally fucked, avatar looks noticeably better imo.

Slimy probably forgot that some old gen games already had hundreds of enemies on screen.

Their previous games had hundreds of enemies on screen on a ps4.
i played World War Z on PC. It looks nothing like Space Marine. WWZ doesnt even look as good as Days Gone.

GymWolf

Gold Member
i played World War Z on PC. It looks nothing like Space Marine. WWZ doesnt even look as good as Days Gone.
I was talking about the huge numbers of enemies, of course tjis one looks better.

And since, you talk about days gone, that one wasn't a stricted tps with small levels, but a huge open world, and the biggest horde was made by 500 freaks.

And they were all enemies that you actually kill and interact with, more than half of the insects you see on screen are just smoke and mirrors for spectacle in these videos, big ass difference if you ask me, the dude never fight more than 20-30 enemies directly.

Again, other than a good overall texture work and fancy lights, i see literally nothing nextgen in this game, it looks great, and that's it.

More power to you if you Think that this thing look so good that we should expect a downgrade, to me it sound like crazy talk, next ND game is gonna make this thing look cute at best, no idea why you think a ps5 is already topped by this game...

Last edited:

tcr6zqifVqrZOw9u.jpg

I agree Gears 5 looked absolutely incredible on Series X and it's 60fps i don't see what looks that much better in Warhammer it's just doing a helluva lot more with enemies at 20 fps 😆 it looks great though I don't want to crap on it

SlimySnake

I was talking about the huge numbers of enemies, of course tjis one looks better.

And since, you talk about days gone, that one wasn't a stricted tps with small levels, but a huge open world, and the biggest horde was made by 500 freaks.

And they were all enemies that you actually kill and interact with, more than half of the insects you see on screen are just smoke and mirrors for spectacle in these videos, big ass difference if you ask me, the dude never fight more than 20-30 enemies directly.

Again, other than a good overall texture work and fancy lights, i see literally nothing nextgen in this game, it looks great, and that's it.

More power to you if you Think that this thing look so good that we should expect a downgrade, to me it sound like crazy talk, next ND game is gonna make this thing look cute at best, no idea why you think a ps5 is already topped by this game...
I didnt expect a downgrade until i saw Represent saying how it runs at 1440p 30 fps on a 4090. That GPU is 4x more powerful than the PS5.

And no, of course I dont think PS5 is already topped by this game. Doesnt mean the game isnt a clear generational leap over last gen games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If we can even find a video of fucking gears5 not looking that far this discussion is over lmao.

(Hard to believe since i don't think gears 5 ever looked that good but i heard great things about the dlc)

GymWolf

Gold Member
I didnt expect a downgrade until i saw Represent saying how it runs at 1440p 30 fps on a 4090. That GPU is 4x more powerful than the PS5.

And no, of course I dont think PS5 is already topped by this game. Doesnt mean the game isnt a clear generational leap over last gen games.
It looks like a good crossgen.

Sorry i don't see a real nextgen title in front of me, the game looking so basic and dull to play doesn't help neither.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

If we can even find a video of fucking gears5 not looking that far this discussion is over lmao.

(Hard to believe since i don't think gears 5 ever looked that good but i heard great things about the dlc)
What do you mean? gears 5 dlc video was posted on this page by Lethal.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
What do you mean? gears 5 dlc video was posted on this page by Lethal.
I didn't watched it, that's why i was dubious.

Hard to believe that a game that is not even top 10 from last gen could look close to space marine 2 that still look like a great crossgen title.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I didn't watched it, that's why i was dubious.

Hard to believe that a game that is not even top 10 from last gen could look close to space marine 2 that still look like a great crossgen title.
It doesnt even come close to Space Marine. It's last gen lighting through and through. Are we even watching the same video?

I'm maybe less impressed by the Space Marine 2 graphics as some in here but the hordes look crazy impressive and like something that would be impossible to pull off with last gen consoles (without big cutbacks).

If it's as good as the first game it's going to be amazing. This year is completely stacked.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm maybe less impressed by the Space Marine 2 graphics as some in bhereut the hordes look crazy impressive and like something that would be impossible to pull off with last gen consoles (without big cutbacks).

If it's as good as the first game it's going to be amazing. This year is completely stacked.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I stand corrected. I never played World War Z but those hordes are completely nuts for tablet CPUs to handle.
Yeah, they made look the horde in days gone like absolute shit, not only in sheer numbers but physics wise aswell, days gone completely cut gore, ragdoll and havok with more than 20 zombies on screen, throwing a granade into an horde in days gone was one of my saddest moment in gaming :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But tbf, wwz was basically a non game compared to days gone in terms of scope.

Days gone 2 with a beefy cpu would have been stellar, thanks for nothing, jimbo.

Last edited:

SABRE220

I said just about, you could find an outlier like cyberpunk maxed out on pc but generally its pretty much top tier in terms of fidelity in terms of games released this gen. The matrix demo was a carefully designed and well-crafted quasi vertical slice, yes It was in real-time but lacked the full game logic and repeating said fidelity and assets in a full game is a daunting prospect. When we see games reach matrix quality on this gen, I will gladly take back my skepticism as nothing would make me happier but we have had several ue5 releases and they are nowhere near said quality from the demo and are running at ps3 resolutions.

Again if you want to hold forbidden west to such an insane standard in context of calling it overrated crossgen effort why not hold all current gen releases to such standard and lets see how many games live up to said standard. I was pissed at horizon being held back from cross gen but looking at the next gen releases so far this gen I have to give kudos to guerilla for what they achieved with the constraints they had an amazingly talented studio who will show their full capabilities in their next release.
I mean that’s presupposing that it beats every other game out there which id challenge

Also it wasn’t just any old tech demo was it? It was a playable slice that you could download from your games market place. It’s not like say the infiltrator UE4 demo or something. You could walk around the city. Shoot. Drive. It was a little game you were running in real time that made horizon look like the PS4 game that it is

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Starfield reviews are out. Looks good but loading holds the game back. It has A LOT of loading. Like for everything. Including entering ships and even interiors.

Its weird that they made SSDs a requirement but couldnt update their engine to have seamless loading. Typically i think loading is overblown but this game seems to be doing a lot of it.

Surprised that Starfield has loading screens and loading transitions, considering the game is supposed to built from the ground up on next-gen hardware which includes SSD.

Game looks decent in terms of visuals, but doesn't come close to Spider-man 2 but then again it's significantly bigger in terms of scale so it'll lack the fine polish.

PeteBull

Wtf? That means there is a massive downgrade coming.

Very disappointing. Explains why the game looks amazing though. They were targeting 1440p 30 fps on what is essentially a 40 tflops card. Basically next Gen specs.

If they don’t downgrade then the 3080 will run this at 900p 30 fps. Ps5 at 640p 30 fps. So yeah, downgrade incoming.
Gotta chose something next gen graphics or good performance on midrange pc rig, cant have it both, and yup, ps5 is now similar and in some cases worse specs than midrange pc rig :p

Top Bottom