• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I truly don't understand why there are so many half measures that Bethesda took with Starfield. From no VATS, to the shoddy ship travel/combat, to NPC'S not reacting properly to things like stealing their goods. It comes across as either laziness or they cut development short. Very reminiscent of Cyberpunk in that respect.

There are some things they did well but this was supposed to be their dream project, right? If I was making my dream game I'd be insuring that each system was fully thought out and programmed for. Graphically the game is mostly good. Audio and voice acting is great. Combat controls better than any if their other games but then a lot of things feel half assed. It's no wonder lots of people feel like they oversold is the game and that expectations havn't been met.
Yeah, some of the decisions made are very odd. They upgraded the engine to support all these fancy visual features but then ended up downgrading half of them two months before launch? Added realtime GI, GTAO and all these fancy volumetric lighting effects and then forgot to add HDR? Added all these bizarre filters to mask the stunning lighting? Why upgrade the engine to support fancy graphics and not proper streaming?

I think CGNoire said that it could be due to lighting being different (prebaked indoors) which might explain the need to have loading screens as short as 1 second on PC.

Woah woah woah… no spoilers but theres magic and weapon customization
yeah ive seen the magic gifs posted here but im aware of weapon customization. its mostly adding mods like scopes and ammo types. cod has more customizations than that nowadays lol. fallout4 was much more extensive than that. you could literally create a weapon of your dreams.

sinnergy

I truly don't understand why there are so many half measures that Bethesda took with Starfield. From no VATS, to the shoddy ship travel/combat, to NPC'S not reacting properly to things like stealing their goods. It comes across as either laziness or they cut development short. Very reminiscent of Cyberpunk in that respect.

There are some things they did well but this was supposed to be their dream project, right? If I was making my dream game I'd be insuring that each system was fully thought out and programmed for. Graphically the game is mostly good. Audio and voice acting is great. Combat controls better than any if their other games but then a lot of things feel half assed. It's no wonder lots of people feel like they oversold is the game and that expectations havn't been met.
Can be your dream game , yet in working life you have , dead lines, no endless money and infinite time .. managers which totally don’t get design , so there is that.

Lethal01

Can be your dream game , yet in working life you have , dead lines, no endless money and infinite time .. managers which totally don’t get design , so there is that.
But surely that's not issue as long as you love what you making and have skill.
These newbie devs just don't got the talent /s

CamHostage

Point-cloud techniques such as NeRFs and this Gaussian Splatting are very cool and intriguing tech, but they're generally impractical for games.

They're traditionally not dynamic or animatable (there's an idea of a D-NeRF but it's nowhere near interactive use, and also aren't really built to allow lighting changes or other modifications of the environment and its display,) and editing a NeRF in any basic fashion like changing a color or resizing an object is still in the infancy of being possible. Also combining/stitching and matching NeRFs to use multiple elements together seems like it'd be a challenge. It's also not really how game graphics (and all the aspects of the geometry as well, such as collision) are technically done. Supposedly these approaches can make for extremely detailed "models" or "scenes" with small file sizes (it's being experimentally tested as a Google Maps option,) and their future is expanding rapidly, but I haven't seen any serious experimentation (or really any at all, just some theoretical talk of it as a concept in interactive use) of this stuff in games yet.

This is, ultimately, just the beginning, and we will in the future see what it is the beginning of...

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yeah for sure, but who knows what will happen when next next next gen is here.

Heh, has this wayward thread already started to be about fidelity to expect in the PS6 gen...

I'm not sure that it's tech that needs a new gen. AI already did a lot of the work, and rendering is apparently efficient; Gaussian Splattering even more so. But the tech itself is still in the embryonic state, and there's no promises that it'll be greatly practical for games. (Other stuff looked cool too but really didn't pan out as hoped.... anybody remember NURBS?)

timothet

Heh, has this wayward thread already started to be about fidelity to expect in the PS6 gen...

I'm not sure that it's tech that needs a new gen. AI already did a lot of the work, and rendering is apparently efficient; Gaussian Splattering even more so. But the tech itself is still in the embryonic state, and there's no promises that it'll be greatly practical for games. (Other stuff looked cool too but really didn't pan out as hoped.... anybody remember NURBS?)
People said similar things and had great hopes about photogrammetry.
Currently it has its use in video game industry, but it didn't revolutionize it. It will probably be similar with NeRFs. Time will tell.

Arioco

Hi guys! Why isn't The Matrix demo working on PS5 and Series consoles anymore? When trying to boot it up all I get is the message "Connection failed" and "Loading construct Environment". Did Epic bring it offline for good? Why would they do that? I know it had been delisted from the store, but those of us who had already downloaded it could still played it. Well, it seems not anymore...

Did just Epic take away from us this amazing visual showcase? 😭

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hi guys! Why isn't The Matrix demo working on PS5 and Series consoles anymore? When trying to boot it up all I get is the message "Connection failed" and "Loading construct Environment". Did Epic bring it offline for good? Why would they do that? I know it had been delisted from the store, but those of us who had already downloaded it could still played it. Well, it seems not anymore...

Did just Epic take away from us this amazing visual showcase? 😭

They were sick of SlimySnake SlimySnake spamming gif that look 5x times better than the actual "game" in this topic.

You can "play it" on pc.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling

Bethesda's never been good at game mechanics. Game logistics, maybe, not mechanics. VATS was there to prop up absolutely terrible shooting mechanics.

As for the logistical aspects - like modding weapons or AI responding in sim-like manner to player behavior - both take up a lot of time and resources. They really fucked themselves by blowing up the scale so massively. When you're too busy figuring out how your planet structures will be cut up into discontinuous regions by procedural generation algorithms, coding, writing and animating for small contextual things that most players won't do is low on the priority list.

M1987

I’ve finally played some Starfield.

I really don’t feel like the washed out, low-contrast look is doing the game and favours visually. It’s a real shame about that.

I don’t know what Bethesdas thinking is there, but they have eyes and surely must be able to see that it looks bad.

I’d hope for a toggle to switch it off or modify it but I imagine that isn’t coming any time soon, if ever.
If you are on PC just use this,it looks so much better

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
I like how we never learn. This is classic insomniac. Remember the venom shot?

spider-man-2-venom-ew.jpg

Actual trailer. Cutscene too. Rain apparently only exists in bullshots.
Spider-Man-2-Story-Trailer.jpg
I really don't know why Insomniac insists on doing this. Thing is that there's not even a Marked difference I'm texture quality or lighting; they've just oversaturated the picture and added a bunch of unnatural light sources.

Isn't this due to art direction? The first pic is for Entertainment Weekly lol They probably added the rain in after effects to jazz the picture up for the mainstream audience who reads that publication.

I keep saying it but we shouldn't get on to Insomniac of all studios considering their visual fidelity, their engine, their framerate / resolution / RT options, their high quality motion blur and the fact they're the only developer that has released a Remaster, a smaller scale game, one of the few "next gen" impressive early games and very soon another full AAA current gen only game out inside the first three years of PS5's life.
You definitely can't get on Insomniac too much if you demand frequent output, but I don't think that's a good use of the studio.

Not going to talk about what they "should've done" over the last 3 years, but going forward, I don't really think it's a great idea to stack on that many projects at once. Spider-Man 2 looks too much like the first game. It's bones are still that of a PS4 title. Their rendering techniques are old, their facial modeling and animation is falling behind other AAA studios, and the gameplay potential for Spider-Man on next gen machines has not been taken advantage of whatsoever.

Hopefully Wolverine is a legit next gen title.

The craziest thing about Starfield to me is that this is the company that apparently almost single handily inspired Breath of the Wild. One of the largest Worlds ever made in gaming with absolutely zero loading times and just one giant seamless environment... on a Wii FUCKING U lol. I get Starfield is multiple planets ect but still a Series X is about 75-100x the compute power of a Wii U. Someone seriously screwed the pooch in terms of the planning and / or the engine limitations to require a near constant menu fast travel system the game mainly uses at least during the early campaign.

Glad to hear it's not just me who struggled to get into their games. I remember swinging an axe in Skyrim the first time and thinking it felt like swinging a foam toy at the enemy. The World was obviously vast and beyond anything at the time though so it's reputation is definitely warranted and as I said above it heavily inspired BotW so it will always have my thanks for that.

I think as time goes on Bethesda is going to get lambasted by the community for these shocking design/engine failures. When the initial hype wears off in a week or two and people realize just how limited the sandbox and how disappointing the traversal and exploration is.

I actually hope gamers come down hard in the hopes that Bethesda might say "shit, we better do something about this or our fans will turn on us". Basically, a Fallout 76 situation. Remember how someone at Bethesda thought it was a good idea not to have NPC's? Yeah. Reminds me of Starfield not having a vehicle to traverse planets and having loading screens in space.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I really don't know why Insomniac insists on doing this. Thing is that there's not even a Marked difference I'm texture quality or lighting; they've just oversaturated the picture and added a bunch of unnatural light sources.

You definitely can't get on Insomniac too much if you demand frequent output, but I don't think that's a good use of the studio.

Not going to talk about what they "should've done" over the last 3 years, but going forward, I don't really think it's a great idea to stack on that many projects at once. Spider-Man 2 looks too much like the first game. It's bones are still that of a PS4 title. Their rendering techniques are old, their facial modeling and animation is falling behind other AAA studios, and the gameplay potential for Spider-Man on next gen machines has not been taken advantage of whatsoever.

Hopefully Wolverine is a legit next gen title.
Spidey and wolvy are huge brands, they are gonna sell like hot cakes even if the graphic was exactly the same as spidey on ps4.

They don't give a fuck about having top dog aspects in those games.

For wolvy i just hope it's gonna have an orginal combat system and not the fucking free flow again, insomniac need to make something original gameplay wise, the last "original" thing they did was sunset overdrive and the game wasn't even that good tbh.

But who i'm kidding...

I have more hope in fucking bend studios at this point, both graphically and mechanically (although days gone combat was basically a worse, more frantic tlou)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They were sick of SlimySnake SlimySnake spamming gif that look 5x times better than the actual "game" in this topic.

You can "play it" on pc.
I mostly only post gameplay gifs. The only reason why i posted gifs from the cutscenes is because lethal and his followers claim that realtime cutscene graphics arent even close to hitting CG fidelity. When the matrix cutscenes clearly prove that they are.

Spidey and wolvy are huge brands, they are gonna sell like hot cakes even if the graphic was exactly the same as spidey on ps4.

They don't give a fuck about having top dog aspects in those games.

For wolvy i just hope it's gonna have an orginal combat system and not the fucking free flow again, insomniac need to make something original gameplay wise, the last "original" thing they did was sunset overdrive and the game wasn't even that good tbh.

But who i'm kidding...

I have more hope in fucking bend studios at this point, both graphically and mechanically (although days gone combat was basically a worse, more frantic tlou)
these idiots wasted 2 years on a glorified last gen expansion instead of focusing their efforts on a brand new spiderman game. but nope, split teams into two to make a ratchet game no one wanted. spiderman has sold 35 million. last figure we got of ratchet was 1 million. this is why i laugh at people who want ND to make Jak and Daxter and Sucker Punch to bring back sly cooper. dude, no one wnats to play these kiddie games anymore.

had they focused exclusively on spiderman 2 for the last 5 years, we wouldve gotten a massive upgrade. 2008 to 2013 is when Rockstar went back and revamped the GTA engine and went from a very ugly brown looking lighting model to a completely different one within the same generation. while shipping Max Payne 3, LA Noire and RDR1. i get that they are a much bigger studio than Insomniac but insomniac shouldve known this and shouldnt have stretched themselves too thin. 5 years and using the same exact city. imagine if GTAV did that or any of the Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Division, or Watch dogs games. oh but they added queens and brooklyn! wow! Insomniac really has no shame.

Say what you will about Avatar, but Massive shipped Division 2 in 2019 then took 4 years to make a brand new world in Avatar and then had a second team work on a brand new world in Star Wars Outlaws. Bethesda shipped Fallout 76 in 2018 and in five years made starfield revamping their entire rendering pipeline in the process while being held back by the series s. Honestly, insomniac just dropped the ball here getting shown up by Bethesda and ubisoft devs.

SlimySnake

But surely that's not issue as long as you love what you making and have skill.
These newbie devs just don't got the talent /s

Obviously there were things that held them back, but every game, every studio, every publisher has to go through the same issues. What we can do is criticize a game that was supposedly in development since 2015. i get that most of the team might have been working on fallout 76 but they said they started dev in 2015 after shipping fallout 4. So at that point they made the decision to target next gen platforms since the visual leap is definitely huge, but it is definitely odd that they targeted ssds at the design stage back in 2015 but chose not to allow for seemless entry into interiors.

I actually did a story mission yesterday where i went inside a small outpost without a loading screen. again, the loading screens are typically a second long but this felt so much better just seemlessly going in and out of buildings. having to see a 1 second load screen just to go inside your own ship is bizarre and completely breaks the immersion.

This was a game in development for 8 years. Thats longer than an entire generation. MS bought them 3 years ago and as we now know MS has infinite money. Surely we can expect seemless loading especially when it begins to impact immersion which is such a crucial component of bethesda games. there are missions in this game that send you from one building to another, from one planet to the other and back, and you could be seeing 10-15 loading screens in a span of maybe 10 minutes. fallout 4 and skyrim didnt have this issue because it would take you 10 minutes to go to a building and see just one loading screen as you entered and did the dungeon.

they deserve a lot of credit for improving their visual fidelity, but equal criticism for making some very odd design choices with this game. And if it is an engine limitation then they deserve even more criticism because most devs figured out level streaming back in the ps3 era.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mostly only post gameplay gifs. The only reason why i posted gifs from the cutscenes is because lethal and his followers claim that realtime cutscene graphics arent even close to hitting CG fidelity. When the matrix cutscenes clearly prove that they are.

these idiots wasted 2 years on a glorified last gen expansion instead of focusing their efforts on a brand new spiderman game. but nope, split teams into two to make a ratchet game no one wanted. spiderman has sold 35 million. last figure we got of ratchet was 1 million. this is why i laugh at people who want ND to make Jak and Daxter and Sucker Punch to bring back sly cooper. dude, no one wnats to play these kiddie games anymore.

had they focused exclusively on spiderman 2 for the last 5 years, we wouldve gotten a massive upgrade. 2008 to 2013 is when Rockstar went back and revamped the GTA engine and went from a very ugly brown looking lighting model to a completely different one within the same generation. while shipping Max Payne 3, LA Noire and RDR1. i get that they are a much bigger studio than Insomniac but insomniac shouldve known this and shouldnt have stretched themselves too thin. 5 years and using the same exact city. imagine if GTAV did that or any of the Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Division, or Watch dogs games. oh but they added queens and brooklyn! wow! Insomniac really has no shame.

Say what you will about Avatar, but Massive shipped Division 2 in 2019 then took 4 years to make a brand new world in Avatar and then had a second team work on a brand new world in Star Wars Outlaws. Bethesda shipped Fallout 76 in 2018 and in five years made starfield revamping their entire rendering pipeline in the process while being held back by the series s. Honestly, insomniac just dropped the ball here getting shown up by Bethesda and ubisoft devs.
Spiderman sold 35 mil? Since when?

Isn't that more than your average cod?

SlimySnake

GymWolf

Gold Member
since last year.

should be over 35 million now after the PC releases.

cod sells around 20 million but they do that every year so in five years while spiderman and miles sold 35 million, cod has sold over a 100 million easily.
Isn't that low key the most successful sony game ever?

What did they make that sold that much? Tlou1?

Lol now we know why they don't care about improving anything, if a 7\10 sell that kuch just because it has spiderman in it, why even bother?

In an ideal world, the game should have the full team working on it (plus 200 other devs because insomniac is not that big), biggest budget for a sony game and no less than 5 years in the oven at the very least, but alas...

I'm surprised that sony haven't bought the rights to do an avenger game, can you imagine how much that would sell?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Isn't that low key the most successful sony game ever?

What did they make that sold that much? Tlou1?

Lol now we know why they don't care about improving anything, if a 7\10 sell that kuch just because it has spiderman in it, why even bother?

In an ideal world, the game should have the full team working on it (plus 200 other devs because insomniac is not that big), biggest budget for a sony game and no less than 5 years in the oven at the very least, but alas...

I'm surprised that sony haven't bought the rights to do an avenger game, can you imagine how much that would sell?
Ive heard rumors that Insomniac has a third game in development and that is likely another marvel IP. they might just be making their own marvel universe where spiderman, wolverine and whatever this third game is come together in their own avengers game sometime in the next 3-5 years. but yeah, they have realized that they have a cod like IP on their hands that will sell no matter how little effort they put in so why bother doing anything truly great? Thats why i told you guys to not expect anything truly original because insomniac is basically a workman like studio now. just put out one mediocre game after another.

Nah, TLOU1 has sold more. Neil said that the first game has sold over 37 million copies. This was before the PC and tv show release so it will probably hit 40 million soon.

SlimySnake

Im currently very impressed by Watch Dogs Legion, this game looks absolutely phenomenal, Im currently playing it on PC in 5K Ultrawide with Raytracing and ReShade, the only thing it lacks are good animations, but otherwise its very very impressive:
NI3lqN8.jpg

7ZxO2x9.jpg

usPfr1M.jpg

PU1KtNz.jpg

LuBY1Fx.jpg
played a little bit last month and yes, it doesnt get enough credit. even without the reshade, the game looks marvelous with RT reflections. arguably the best ive seen this gen.

Been tellin everyone. They’re full on with the casuals now. What was the last big cod upgrade?

Remember that act man video where he showed the last 9 call of duty games on the screen simultaneously and asked the viewer if he can differentiate which is which and you fucking can’t because they all look the same graphically and mechanically? Yeah get ready for that with the Spider-Man games. They don’t have 1/4th the ambition and passion rocksteady did back in the Batman days

SlimySnake

Been tellin everyone. They’re full on with the casuals now. What was the last big cod upgrade?

Remember that act man video where he showed the last 9 call of duty games on the screen simultaneously and asked the viewer if he can differentiate which is which and you fucking can’t because they all look the same graphically and mechanically? Yeah get ready for that with the Spider-Man games. They don’t have 1/4th the ambition and passion rocksteady did back in the Batman days
I was thinking about Advanced Warfare just last night. 2014 game. Cross gen. But clearly downported from a next gen only version because it looked like shit on ps360 and refused to run above the lowest settings on my GTX 570 which was handicapped by 1.2 gb of vram. i remember playing either the beta or the free beta on PC looking like a ps2 game it was so blurry. the menu was in red and they just said no, you dont even get to pick your settings.

that was the second cod game that gen. Now we are on our FOURTH cod game and its still not just last gen but still using last gen specs as a baseline. blops 3 was the third cod game of that gen and they shipped last gen without the campaign and the maps had no detail whatsoever. their 4th cod game last gen was the much maligned Infinity warfare but it was a massive leap over call of duty ghosts. They peaked in 2016 and since then its been a slow regression because they refused to go next gen only in 2021.

15560.gif

15bbfc31404d5d88-600x338.gif

call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-e3-gameplay-trailer-0.gif

Last edited:
I was thinking about Advanced Warfare just last night. 2014 game. Cross gen. But clearly downported from a next gen only version because it looked like shit on ps360 and refused to run above the lowest settings on my GTX 570 which was handicapped by 1.2 gb of vram. i remember playing either the beta or the free beta on PC looking like a ps2 game it was so blurry. the menu was in red and they just said no, you dont even get to pick your settings.

that was the second cod game that gen. Now we are on our FOURTH cod game and its still not just last gen but still using last gen specs as a baseline. blops 3 was the third cod game of that gen and they shipped last gen without the campaign and the maps had no detail whatsoever. their 4th cod game last gen was the much maligned Infinity warfare but it was a massive leap over call of duty ghosts. They peaked in 2016 and since then its been a slow regression because they refused to go next gen only in 2021.

15560.gif

15bbfc31404d5d88-600x338.gif

call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-e3-gameplay-trailer-0.gif
Then excuse me, insomniac has even LESS passion and upgrade than cod

Montauk

If you are on PC just use this,it looks so much better

I’m on XSX unfortunately.

It’s a real shame about the washed out look and whatever filters they’re using, because despite its very obvious visual shortcomings the game looks good overall and is capable of looking great.

But then I’m standing in some dark corner with Vasco and it’s so washed out that the air looks milky. It feels like this look is a real drag on the visuals.

Lethal01

I mostly only post gameplay gifs. The only reason why i posted gifs from the cutscenes is because lethal and his followers claim that realtime cutscene graphics arent even close to hitting CG fidelity. When the matrix cutscenes clearly prove that they AREN'T.

I have followers now?
Dope.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Y'all graphic whores missed you some CHIEF DADA!?!?!? Yes, of course you did! Lol I wanted to hop in and and share what I heard earlier this past week. At the risk of being ridiculed for sounding like the guy who's uncle works at Nintendo, I was having drinks with a colleague and his friend who works in PlayStation Finance arm (pure coincidence). He referenced SM2 in passing and compared to Marvel movies. Offhand comment, something to the effect of "the budgets are just as big and now they look the same". No I didn't ask any follow-ups sorry. I know it's nothing but I'll be damned if I let my two minutes of insider fame go to waste.

Some more starfield screenshots from another thread. Running at 5k with some kind of reshade but omg, this is the most next gen thing ive seen all gen.

Tyler James Williams What GIF by ABC Network

credit@musilla

And this runs at 60fps.
Like really what are we doing here? Lol anyways I hope you bros are living well!

PeteBull

PC gamers have really lost it. I liked Todd Howard's response. It's a next gen game. Upgrade your fucking PC.
I think it comes down from ppl only looking at graphical fidelity and not taking into account the scope, corridor shooter will always look/perform better vs large open world game, till now we got examples how well doom 2016 and doom eternal run on toasters while still looking good enough, while all good looking open world games need that cpu/gpu requirements to be much higher.
Another genre that usually looks good/isnt too demanding are racing games, and 2d/3d fighters.

Back when rdr2 launched on PC ppl were complaining tons about how much its needed to run it on ultra, big caviot tho, rdr2 looked really good even on medium.

Starfield needs at least that high settings to look great tho, and doesnt take advantage of more than 12 threads even in cpu heavy area, we got proof of that from recent cpu tests just compare 4/8 to 6/12 to 8/16 cpu's of same gen/archi and u see barely any improvements (biggest example is r3 3300x vs r5 3600 vs r7 3700x, if game engine is well mutithreaded difference should be humongous in both avg but especially minimum fps, on 3300x we got 42min/49 avg, on 3700x 43min/50avg fps =/ ).

Another gripe i got with Starfield pc port, and u noticed/confired it too- it doesnt have texture quality setting/takes advantage of very lil of vram even in 4k max settings.

Access to dlss/frame gen can be done by a mod, altho hoping with time we got this implemented, if not in that version of the game then in future goty/enhanced versions.

Once those 3 issues are fixed then i admit starfield pc port is well optimised.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Y'all graphic whores missed you some CHIEF DADA!?!?!? Yes, of course you did! Lol I wanted to hop in and and share what I heard earlier this past week. At the risk of being ridiculed for sounding like the guy who's uncle works at Nintendo, I was having drinks with a colleague and his friend who works in PlayStation Finance arm (pure coincidence). He referenced SM2 in passing and compared to Marvel movies. Offhand comment, something to the effect of "the budgets are just as big and now they look the same". No I didn't ask any follow-ups sorry. I know it's nothing but I'll be damned if I let my two minutes of insider fame go to waste.

Tyler James Williams What GIF by ABC Network

credit@musilla

And this runs at 60fps.
Like really what are we doing here? Lol anyways I hope you bros are living well!

The most common opinion is that Slimy got a paycheck from todd, my sources are still investigating.

Him bragging in the offtopic section about the super-pricey penile enlargement surgery that he had lately doesn't help his case.

Last edited:

alloush

The most common opinion is that Slimy got a paycheck from todd, my sources are still investigating.

Him bragging in the offtopic section about the super-pricey penile enlargement surgery that he had lately doesn't help his case.
Damn, Slimy with Starfield is the new ChiefDada with Spidey 2. I thought arkhamguy was gonna be that guy considering how he jizzed everytime Starfield was brought up but it turned out Slimy is that guy!

SlimySnake

I got me my own 19 inches of venom.
P.s thanks for the gold!

Top Bottom