• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

We need more dynamic worlds with better physics, I don't know why it bothers you.
Yes we do for sure.

It doesnt "bother me" its just that it seems like the way it keeps getting brought up here is to bolster claims that Starfield is very much next gen when...well....it isnt really.

To be fair those gifs are some of the coolest shit ive seen on here in weeks.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yes we do for sure.

It doesnt "bother me" its just that it seems like the way it keeps getting brought up here is to bolster claims that Starfield is very much next gen when...well....it isnt really.

It feels next gen in more areas than it does not. I’m having a mighty great time on PC.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It feels next gen in more areas than it does not. I’m having a mighty great time on PC.

Really? Interesting. I don't doubt the game is a good time (eventually) but still much more divisive than I ever imagined. Up until Slimy gifs showing off the physics, I had yet to be impressed with much of anything from the game.

setoman

byt more importantly look at the number of different car models and the geometry on the vehicles. Look at the pick up truck and the cargo van. And they're casting RT reflections - cars on right side. this is amazing.
but that doesn't take away from the amazing geometry and lighting on these RANDOM cars! That's what's most striking. These are random vehicles with great modeling. And the far off distance! This looks like it was taken from a city street cam.
Take away the shit processing and you have fidelity that surpasses the Matrix Demo.

It doesn't even look better than Miles Morale...

VlstBeG.jpg

and stop mentioning the Matrix demo...This is what it looks like when updated to the latest engine version.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes we do for sure.

A couple of things:

1) i posted these gifs to show that starfield IS indeed doing stuff at a bigger scale with a greater visual fidelity than skyrim and fallout were doing last gen. so in that sense, i felt those gifs show a generational leap.
2) it is also true that bethesda DOES not utilize these physics ingame to this extent. jackfrags did a very extensive video on this spawning close to 100k objects in one room and the framerate only started tanking after he spawned 20k objects. even then it remained in the high 30s until he got close to 50k. i honestly, have no idea why they didnt have every object in the game have actual physics like control.
3) the game gives you force powers like control that let you levitate all of these objects you can pick up in every room. so the physics apply to id say literally dozens of objects in every room plus any npcs. but again, nothing else like computers, desks, chairs, etc is impacted which is a shame because the engine can clearly handle it.

SlimySnake

This is a random outposts in a random planet i dropped into to see if it was viable as an outpost. When you go inside, its literally the same cave copy pasta from an earlier story mission lmao.

But not gonna lie, the lighting and asset quality even in these throw away levels is really great.
MaSL1U8.gif

Falc67

yeah but the real-time version still looks very similar to it, which is why i posted it.

Nah it’s not close, that CG Matrix video looks like real life. The demo we have on PS5 has poor image quality and not anywhere near as good as that video you posted. But still looks better than SM2.

mrqs

Its not representative of actual gamplay or any part of players experience or for that matter a demonstration of the power of the XSX. Its tech demo territory pure and simple.

This makes me think of something.

If the engine is capable of rendering so many objects, it boggles my mind trying to understand why they didn't use that anywhere in the game. It might show up when the world has low gravity or you make them fly away, but still, why do developers work on features like these to just make them useless if you don't see them in action?

Like, just a high-ceiling chest that you open and the weapons fall down would already be impressive. It doesn't need to be 10,000 objects, but having the world feel more alive with a dozen objects falling or making it more part of the gameplay would be nice.

It seems like a waste for people to toy around with commands.

It reminds me of the mysticism that you can see in caves in Tears of the Kingdom that's barely used anywhere else. Or the wobbly flesh bodies in Guardians of the Galaxy that were only used on a few enemies. There are a bunch of examples.

For me, nothing makes the world feel more real than actual physics or world interactivity. Games as they are are mostly just theater in a movie set made of titanium, and I really hope this changes someday.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Nah it’s not close, that CG Matrix video looks like real life. The demo we have on PS5 has poor image quality and not anywhere near as good as that video you posted. But still looks better than SM2.
Yah we should also remember that with Nanite Higher native Res equals Higher Polygon count.

Last edited:

hlm666

The physics in starfield can be appreciated without having to play with the console commands. Any fight around cluttered areas using explosive ammo or gravity powers has objects flying all over the place. Would have been nice if some of the structural objects could have been damaged/destroyed though, it's very control like in this regard.

CGNoire

It isn't a real time video, at the end of the video it says that it's a CG video rendered in 6 hours.
I absolutely Loathe videos like this. Unreal Engine 5 was designed primarily as a realtime rendering engine. Posting Pre-rendered In-engine videos of it is the worst kind of click bait. No one is searching YT for videos of pre-rendered UE5 footage. The vast vast majority are looking for what the engine can do in realtime and these mother fuckers damm well know it.

Who in 2023 gives a flying fuck what visuals UE5 produces when pre-rendering.
Shits click bait pure and simple and would piss me off way less if they just did a comparison at the end of these videos showing the differennces between realtime lumen and there multi hour render settings.

Hugare

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You can see how the tech barely evolved (on this aspect)

To me it's crazy that a game with baked lighting (no dynamic TOD) can look this bad

They just enabled SSAO and called it a day

The AO coverage on pedestrians, pidgeons and etc. is freaking massive, with huge circular shadows around them

alloush

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You can see how the tech barely evolved (on this aspect)

To me it's crazy that a game with baked lighting (no dynamic TOD) can look this bad

They just enabled SSAO and called it a day

The AO coverage on pedestrians, pidgeons and etc. is freaking massive, with huge circular shadows around them
Posts like these make me dislike Insomniac more and more. They spread themselves thin by working on multiple projects all at once. Quality over quantity my man, always been!

SlimySnake

My spidey senses tell me the vast majority are gonna be disappointed with GTA6.
The vast majority of people will be seduced by all the minute detail and useless features rockstar is so good at advertising in their gameplay deep dives.

But the rest of us will see through the facade almost immediately because there is just no way it looks as good as the matrix. this game started dev in 2013. there is just no way they have matrix quality visuals when they started working on this title with PS4 specs as base. Its just too late to do anything about the visuals or physics or anything remotely next gen.

expect souped up RDR2 graphics at best. Had they begun development after shipping RDR2, I wouldve had more hope for it. Those leaks showing dev being done on PS4 devkits in 2019 dont help.

Posts like these make me dislike Insomniac more and more. They spread themselves thin by working on multiple projects all at once. Quality over quantity my man, always been!
It looks absolutely atrocious. Here is my screenshot from similar time of day in Spiderman 1. Not the remastered PS5 version.

DzLEypPWkAA6y33

they have somehow managed to make lighting look worse.

Top Bottom