• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Where the hell is this water ?!

This is the best water I've ever seen in real time. flows properly, fills the spaces. If You wait in that first scene, it fills up.
Download in yt vid

Last edited:

mrqs

J9eijj4.gif

This looks a lot like the infiltrator Unreal Engine demo from back in the day. Glad we're finally there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's just kind of heartbreaking to see him become the very thing he called out chiefdata and rofif for.
Nah i called out rofif for posting bad screenshots of forspoken with terrible draw distance, fog and asset quality. Which one of my screenshots are like that? I have no problem admitting the game got a massive downgrade outdoors where its now covered in fog and poor series s quality geometry and terrain, but credit where credit is due and the interiors look absolutely mad. Musilla posted a gif of Callisto above that looks great, but Starfield interiors just have this insane level of detail you didnt see last gen in even Naughty Dog games. The order is the closest but it doesnt have this lighting.

bnE0shL.gif

Chiefdada is seeing a massive upgrade in spidey2 from Spider-Man 1 when it doesn’t exist. I’m saying Starfield got a massive upgrade over fallout 4 which is true. Do any comparison between their last gen game be it character models or lighting or asset quality, and you will see a massive upgrade where Spiderman literally looks like spiderman DLC.

Actually, the cities or hubworld or whatever you want to call them have also received a major boost over last gen.

Fallout 4:
wk7dfedxrirlhlxcbkta.gif

Starfield:
qt0KJyN.gif

Besides, im not the only one saying starfield can look amazing indoors. Ive seen a very hard to please gymwolf praise it, even jaded old FeelsLikeIm42 is giving it props. had they not downgraded the open world levels at the very end, this wouldve been the best looking game of the gen.

SlimySnake

This is the best water I've ever seen in real time. flows properly, fills the spaces. If You wait in that first scene, it fills up.
Download in yt vid

Its just actual water simulation and not the fake textures and other tricks we've seen in games all gen. this is very CPU heavy so expect 30 fps console games if someone does bother implementing it.

Did you see the Ass Creed rumors? Its apparently got environments that are fully destructible. FINALLY a next gen game. Ubisoft stays winning.

PeteBull

there is hope for starfield textures quality to improve dramatically, one of known moders made a preview to his upcoming baby ;'D

SlimySnake

there is hope for starfield textures quality to improve dramatically, one of known moders made a preview to his upcoming baby ;'D

textures are great, but i hope they bring back the geometry that was downgraded since the 2022 and even the 2023 trailers.

draw distance as well. give me a mod that gets rid of the fog please.

Alex11

Played at last some Starfield, and I gotta say that it looks better than I expected. After all the talks about downgrade here and next gen there, it looks in places quite gorgeous. The interiors look a bit better than the exteriors, but nothing major.

That being said, it doesn't blow me away, it's still below Cyberpunk 2077 for me.

You guys see those new Spider-Man 2 open world screenshots? This game continues to blow my mind with how bad it looks. Looks like crysis 2’s New York or worse maybe.

They are phoning it in so hard because normies love Spider-Man and don’t care about graphics at all. I’m telling you guys they’re gimping these PS exclusives now to run on low spec PCs down the line too. The Jim Ryan endeavor has proven to be deleterious

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You guys see those new Spider-Man 2 open world screenshots? This game continues to blow my mind with how bad it looks. Looks like crysis 2’s New York or worse maybe.

They are phoning it in so hard because normies love Spider-Man and don’t care about graphics at all. I’m telling you guys they’re gimping these PS exclusives now to run on low spec PCs down the line too. The Jim Ryan endeavor has proven to be deleterious

Just saw it. You kidding me. First these are low res screens, byt more importantly look at the number of different car models and the geometry on the vehicles. Look at the pick up truck and the cargo van. And they're casting RT reflections - cars on right side. this is amazing.

MDdH1vN.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is amazing. 10,000 milk cartons.

utV0UCx.gif

D4jjmP2.gif

Toilet paper rolls!
Xg2TjvJ.gif

Look at those physics, and that lighting. I dont care if skyrim was doing this 10 years ago, it was definitely not doing it at this level of fidelity.
I doubt it's actually 10k. There is probably spawn limit.
But they improved the physics performance A LOT. If you spawned this much in oblivon, it killed the game

Just saw it. You kidding me. First these are low res screens, byt more importantly look at the number of different car models and the geometry on the vehicles. Look at the pick up truck and the cargo van. And they're casting RT reflections - cars on right side. this is amazing.

MDdH1vN.jpg
Not even trying to be snarky or mean, but I genuinely don’t know if this reply is sincere or if you’re fucking with me

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol of course now they handle that shit better, hardware are order of magnitudes more powerful so simple havok with many object on screen doens't make your pc explode, arnold no shit.gif :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i have no idea why you people are impressed other than the nice graphic effect because we are so not used to physics in videogames, that gif is not even a thing that happen naturally in the game, it is created artificially with an editor or cheat engine or whatever it is.

this is nextgen stuff, not havok and object persistency that we had 15 years ago (no shit with less fidelity, it was 15 years ago)

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not even trying to be snarky or mean, but I genuinely don’t know if this reply is sincere or if you’re fucking with me

Lol I'm not kidding. Don't focus on the shitty picture quality; yes it's awful and idk why they released in poor quality. Look at the geometry and reflections/lighting on the cars. Look at the PBR and reddish-pink evening sky light bouncing off of the sculpture sitting atop the walkway.

Lol I'm not kidding. Don't focus on the shitty picture quality; yes it's awful and idk why they released in poor quality. Look at the geometry and reflections/lighting on the cars. Look at the PBR and reddish-pink evening sky light bouncing off of the sculpture sitting atop the walkway.
I don’t really see any great lighting going on in the day time pic brotha

SlimySnake

Lol of course now they handle that shit better, hardware are order of magnitudes more powerful so simple havok with many object on screen doens't make your pc explode, arnold no shit.gif :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i have no idea why you people are impressed other than the nice graphic effect because we are so not used to physics in videogames, that gif is not even a thing that happen naturally in the game, it is created artificially with an editor or cheat engine or whatever it is.

this is nextgen stuff, not havok and object persistency that we had 15 years ago (no shit with less fidelity, it was 15 years ago)

lol you will never be happy and they said i have unrealistic expecations for next gen.

I am curious to see what ubisoft manages to do with destruction. I honestly did not expect Ass creed to implement destruction out of all the different studios and franchises, but im glad at least someone is utilizing the CPU this time around. Lets hope ND and other first party studios are thinking along the same lines even if they havent shown their cards yet.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don’t really see any great lighting going on in the day time pic brotha

No no I'm not talking about lighting in the scene, I'm talking about PBR and light interaction of the vehicles. Again I dont know why they released this low res photo with obscene film grain and CA.

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol you will never be happy and they said i have unrealistic expecations for next gen.

I am curious to see what ubisoft manages to do with destruction. I honestly did not expect Ass creed to implement destruction out of all the different studios and franchises, but im glad at least someone is utilizing the CPU this time around. Lets hope ND and other first party studios are thinking along the same lines even if they havent shown their cards yet.
Yeah i'm not happy with 15 years old tech.

you-got-me-walter-white.gif

alloush

The screenshots look better than you are making them out to be. Your Starfield looks like ass especially outdoors and I didn’t see one criticism coming Starfield’s way from you. I think you are being a bit disingenuous man. And no I don’t think Spidey 2 looks good at all!

The screenshots look better than you are making them out to be. Your Starfield looks like ass especially outdoors and I didn’t see one criticism coming Starfield’s way from you. I think you are being a bit disingenuous man. And no I don’t think Spidey 2 looks good at all!
“Your” starfield?

Also I feel like you’re trying to instigate a discourse

ChiefDada

Gold Member
A arkhamguy123 I didn't even see the time square photo... yeah now I understand you better. Bad tone mapping on top of a capture that already includes generous film grain and CA is a recipe for disaster SMH. No worries, we're definitely getting more stuff this coming week.

E-Cat

More like next-next-next-gen

CamHostage

Its just actual water simulation and not the fake textures and other tricks we've seen in games all gen. this is very CPU heavy so expect 30 fps console games if someone does bother implementing it.

Wait, hold up, hold up...

First off, we should point out that this is called Fluid Flux (and it has squat to do with GTA6, that shared YT clip is pretty egregiously misleading and uninformative, I'm linking to a different vid.) ImaginaryBlend created it as a water simulation blueprint toolset for Unreal Engine developers. It has been around something like three years and works in either UE4 or UE5, but realistically teams would in all likelihood be working in UE5 by now if they were adapting this tool into their production. (That said, UE5's instability has affected the project since Epic has a habit of deprecating or changing aspects of UE5 between version updates, not just making "improvements".)

We should also be clear that it's not "just actual water simulation". (Also, putting "just" and "water simulation" in the same sentence is out there.) Fluid Flux is a set of water replication techniques* packed into one tool package, and together they reproduce a lot of natural happenings of a body of water, but it's still a lot of "tricks" or solutions brought together, not a complete water simulation. (Even Avatar uses tricks and a variety of different water approaches depending on the scene, so there is no one unified "water simulation. ") From what I've read and understand about Flex Fluid, many of us techniques are familiar from what we have seen in other games; not as complete or dynamic in any one game I can think of, but common approaches to make a surface of water (and what happens above and underneath) seem real enough to the player.

So, what happens when you hit the water surface? What happens when you go under it? How buoyant and turbulent are objects floating on its surface? How fast does its current run when transitioning from one height to another? What happens when you raise the surface above its confines. All of that is accounted for in different aspects of the blueprint set, and then it mostly works in harmony depending on your parameters and use.

It's still primarily a surface with a variety of textures and spray effects, not actually a complete liquid simulation of "water". You can't dunk a bucket in and pull up some of the water. (Or rather if you did, you would conceivably have a second surface in the bucket and a displacement calculation of if the difference affects the level of the first surface.) You can't tip this water out, or shake it up and make big ripples and waves. It can run down to form a river or waterfall, but it's an extension of the surface (or a series of surfaces tied to the main? I'm nowhere near able to understand the Shallow Water Equations solver, but you can essentially see the geometry get recalculated in the Breakable Dam demo video of Fluid Flux. The water is in one state, something changes about the confines or where the water level is within its confines, and it changes the state to match the terrain over time and distance.) Everything about Fluid Flux is a series of different challenges of placing water in a realtime environment, approached mathematically and/or practically, and solved for the need of the tool. You're buying the complete "bag of tricks", and they all work together.

A very cool package. You haven't seen it it games because it's new, but also because, as even the developer has said, "The Fluid Flux system is overhyped". It does some important things really well, it looks super cool in demos, there are probably some great things it could do in games, but it has its limitations and it doesn't exactly do what everybody thinks it does when you look at it and go, "Holy shit, that's water!"

For one thing, it doesn't work in multiplayer; it cannot be synchronized. Game maps using this must be limited, and it is not really built for open-world game projects. It has issues with flat surfaces; rock-shaped objects or surfaces would seem to be more complicated to calculate than a square, but the way this works is helped by there not being hard edges. It doesn't work in enclosed indoor spaces like caves (at least, not without some redefinition of the surfaces.) And the terrain cannot be (or should not be) modifiable, as the tool relies on knowing the heightmap of a map to remain efficient.

Another reason you haven't seen it in games is because lots of other tools for managing water are out there, and few are as complete as this, but even the features of Fluid Flux have specific use which you may not get everything out of. (Has anybody played a lot of games where a river fills up to an make an ocean?) There are other ocean and wave and underwater and river flow tools out there, and developers who build water features into levels already have a lot of their own approaches (albeit one of the reasons Fluid Flux looks so awesome is because it's so complete, whereas usually developers just add the parameters needed to get the scene done and it breaks if a gamer tries to do something outside the norm.) Fluid Flux is the coolest-looking one in demos, and it holds promise for some wild (or wildly functional) use in games, but as is sometimes pointed out in this thread, holding up a demo as a perfect tool which shames all other developers for what looks cool in a demo isn't fair to other developers or even the demo maker.

(*Some of what i posted is straight from the FAQ/docs, but anybody experienced with such tech and plugins, please correct and school me on any errors i made. )

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Nah i called out rofif for posting bad screenshots of forspoken with terrible draw distance, fog and asset quality. Which one of my screenshots are like that? I have no problem admitting the game got a massive downgrade outdoors where its now covered in fog and poor series s quality geometry and terrain, but credit where credit is due and the interiors look absolutely mad. Musilla posted a gif of Callisto above that looks great, but Starfield interiors just have this insane level of detail you didnt see last gen in even Naughty Dog games. The order is the closest but it doesnt have this lighting.

bnE0shL.gif

Chiefdada is seeing a massive upgrade in spidey2 from Spider-Man 1 when it doesn’t exist. I’m saying Starfield got a massive upgrade over fallout 4 which is true. Do any comparison between their last gen game be it character models or lighting or asset quality, and you will see a massive upgrade where Spiderman literally looks like spiderman DLC.

Actually, the cities or hubworld or whatever you want to call them have also received a major boost over last gen.

Fallout 4:
wk7dfedxrirlhlxcbkta.gif

Starfield:
qt0KJyN.gif

Besides, im not the only one saying starfield can look amazing indoors. Ive seen a very hard to please gymwolf praise it, even jaded old FeelsLikeIm42 is giving it props. had they not downgraded the open world levels at the very end, this wouldve been the best looking game of the gen.
If "90%" of the game didn't get a downgrade it would be the best looking game? ok.

Interiors look fine, but the game is massively uneven. People are so contradictory. I played yesterday and was underwhelmed by almost everything. And the motion blur is atrocious.

SlimySnake

If "90%" of the game didn't get a downgrade it would be the best looking game? ok.

Interiors look fine, but the game is massively uneven. People are so contradictory. I played yesterday and was underwhelmed by almost everything. And the motion blur is atrocious.
Maybe it’s 90% but so far in my 15 hours or so I’ve only explored three planets and was sent into an interior section almost immediately upon landing 90% of the time.

maybe that changes later on, but for me it’s been 90% interiors.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm really sorry guys but Dada is going to have to be a pain in the ass on this one. I hate that insomniac decided to push out ultra bs quality screenshots with disgusting CA and color transfer but that doesn't take away from the amazing geometry and lighting on these RANDOM cars! That's what's most striking. These are random vehicles with great modeling. And the far off distance! This looks like it was taken from a city street cam.

FqbDJDJ.jpg

I'm really sorry guys but Dada is going to have to be a pain in the ass on this one. I hate that insomniac decided to push out ultra bs quality screenshots with disgusting CA and color transfer but that doesn't take away from the amazing geometry and lighting on these RANDOM cars! That's what's most striking. These are random vehicles with great modeling. And the far off distance! This looks like it was taken from a city street cam.

FqbDJDJ.jpg
Screenshots from the other thread look way better than what's posted here and yes I agree it looks fantastic

ChiefDada

Gold Member
For example look at the shadow and reflection being cast by the pickup truck onto the van. Look at the AO in the interior bed of the pickup truck and how it contrasts with the tire cutout which is getting more direct light. And again, THE GEOMETRY😍

ld1sIcW.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Was watching Midway last night and the big war scenes just made me depressed because we havent seen anything like this 22 years after Medal of Honor Allied Assault's Saving Private Ryan inspired Normandy beach landing, and 20 years after Call of Duty's Enemy At the Gates inspired stalingrad charge. I watched the DF review of Modern Warfare 2 and they have no epic war scene. Instead they had an upside down chase sequence with you hanging upside down from a helicopter shooting at trucks on a highway. A ship setpiece inspired by Uncharted 3 with containers going back and forth in a storm. And an open world sniper level, yay?

Uncharted 2 and 3 had brought us so close to matching Hollywood, but almost 15 years later, it feels like we are decades behind. And I dont mean visuals, just the scale and ambition is completely MIA in games nowadays where devs just want to make copy pasta side quests for 100 hour snoozefest instead of anything even remotely ambitious.

Id rather have PS4 quality visuals if I can get some epic war scenes with hundreds of AI planes or soldiers. It was so disappointing to see FF16 tease big war scenes and then just completely fail to deliver on that scale. I get it. Game development is hard. But games are taking 5-6 years to make nowadays anyway. So instead of wasting 6 years on 200 fetch quests, maybe spend that time working on AI systems that can handle more than 10 enemies on screen at once?

It is downright embarrassing tbh.

This is why I appreciate Space Marine II so much. It seems to be the only game actually trying to attempt large scale warfare and enemies on screen with fidelity to match.

Everything else is just status quo, pathetic.

SlimySnake

Isnt that on PC though?
The physics system is the same. My guess is that the Xbox version would have framerate issues but not at 10k. Jackfrsgs did whole video on this. He spawned 10k watermelons thenkept adding potatoes, tomatoes and more watermelons in their thousands until he lost count. With each batch, the framerate tanked. But it took a while.

Hard to say what the xsx cpu can do but it’s definitely over 10k.

CGNoire

The physics system is the same. My guess is that the Xbox version would have framerate issues but not at 10k. Jackfrsgs did whole video on this. He spawned 10k watermelons thenkept adding potatoes, tomatoes and more watermelons in their thousands until he lost count. With each batch, the framerate tanked. But it took a while.

Hard to say what the xsx cpu can do but it’s definitely over 10k.
Ok i get what your saying about XBX being "able" to handle it but its not like its part of the acutal gameplay. With such a niche adhoc implementation its a borderline tech demo demonstration at best. It doesnt make the game itself anymore next gen.

CGNoire

This is why I appreciate Space Marine II so much. It seems to be the only game actually trying to attempt large scale warfare and enemies on screen with fidelity to match.

Everything else is just status quo, pathetic.
Have we seen actual large army "interactive" gameplay yet? The first 360 game had you up againgst armies of 45. I havent seen footage from this that showed you even fighting that much although there is alot of hinting at huge scale fights. Mostly Ive only seen background "swarms" which earlier gens have already rendered done at a distance like this. I am optimistic but just saying they have yet to prove the scale of the fights as far as the footage i have seen.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Have we seen actual large army "interactive" gameplay yet? The first 360 game had you up againgst armies of 45. I havent seen footage from this that showed you even fighting that much although there is alot of hinting at huge scale fights. Mostly Ive only seen background "swarms" which earlier gens have already rendered done at a distance like this. I am optimistic but just saying they have yet to prove the scale of the fights as far as the footage i have seen.
It's probably going to be very similar to World War Z.

World-War-Z-PS4-beta-sign-up.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 (TBA)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 (TBA)

Top Bottom