• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ChiefDada

Gold Member
hA7qd3r.jpg

Happy If You Say So GIF

RNK

I don't recall playing more graphically uneven game. These 2 shots are like few gameplay minutes apart.

F8_FyvRWgAEu6Fo

F8_Fi31XoAEMPkA
Definitely have to agree. At times this game looks very next gen, and then other times it looks terrible for what is a ps5 only title. The character models specifically are very last gen when out of the suits. The suits all look very good.I just don't understand why the graphics are so uneven. I just find it hard to believe that Insomniac looked at this game and thought, "Job done, this looks great."

Maybe human character models just aren't their bag, and their more suited to cartoony characters like Ratchet.

I can't wait to see Naughty Dogs first built for the ps5 game. It's going to be insane, and will most definitely put Spider-man 2 to shame.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm glad you were able to find out for yourself. Carry on enjoying SM2!

True Blood Cheers GIF

You clearly don't understand what I've meant with my post. His videos are cut, edited, compressed and don't represent the game's visuals or gameplay. Post more of your own stuff.

Also, it's funny that this short edit of Much is leagues above any cinematic that's in the game.

But to be perfectly honest, night time has the biggest difference between old games and Spider-Man 2. Old games had little to no contrast and building lights were too dim. Night time also helps a lot to hide game shortcomings and game looks its best then.

shamoomoo

Definitely have to agree. At times this game looks very next gen, and then other times it looks terrible for what is a ps5 only title. The character models specifically are very last gen when out of the suits. The suits all look very good.I just don't understand why the graphics are so uneven. I just find it hard to believe that Insomniac looked at this game and thought, "Job done, this looks great."

Maybe human character models just aren't their bag, and their more suited to cartoony characters like Ratchet.

I can't wait to see Naughty Dogs first built for the ps5 game. It's going to be insane, and will most definitely put Spider-man 2 to shame.
Maybe the lighting no being ray traced is causing the uneven look on top of secondary character not being as detailed.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You clearly don't understand what I've meant with my post. His videos are cut, edited, compressed and don't represent the game's visuals or gameplay.

What's wrong with that? It's all gameplay traversal, running real time on PS5 and it looks awesome. So how exactly does gameplay not represent visuals? I mean you really are reaching to downplay by any means necessary at this point.

As far as compression, enjoy in 4k. It looks even better. You're welcome.

Post more of your own stuff.

As you already notes I'm still a noob with the new traversal so I wouldn't do the game any justice.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Night time looks hands down the best and if they'd be smart, they would start off the game at night.

I like how light from the moon is highlighting the leaves here.

You know what this game is missing? A dynamic time of day. It would make digital sight-seeing / photography soooo much better.

F8_fqpqWkAAK_P_

Edit: and returning the 'most uneven game ever made' theme, a few seconds later and it looks like this:

F8_gzL0XwAAn7Sb

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You forgot the /s at the end of the post.

This is arkham knight.
REHgT6k.gif

Without even calling out hfw or tlou2 or other stuff.
Yh it looks great. I checked out both Arkham knight and horizon before making that post. Spider-Man looks better to me. You guys see big waves and immediately cum all over your screen. The water shading and reflections in Spider-Man are way better than horizon, Arkham and sea of thieves.

Alex11

Night time looks hands down the best and if they'd be smart, they would start off the game at night.

I like how light from the moon is highlighting the leaves here.

You know what this game is missing? A dynamic time of day. It would make digital sight-seeing / photography soooo much better.

F8_fqpqWkAAK_P_

Edit: and returning the 'most uneven game ever made' theme, a few seconds later and it looks like this:

F8_gzL0XwAAn7Sb
Damn, maybe it's a bit better when you play the game, I mean, the unevenness of the game doesn't strike you that much, I don't know, because from the screens it's just jarring.

Don't know about the dynamic TOD, with fixed in theory it's easier, no? As things are baked.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't know about the dynamic TOD, with fixed in theory it's easier, no? As things are baked.

Yes, it's easier, everything is pre-calculated up front and baked into the scene. And it can create some amazing results (think Assassin's Creed Unity). But for city-based open world game, I think the time of day should be dynamic. Same goes for weather. Imagine playing Grand Theft Auto and you are limited to 3-4 presets.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Evening looks good though. Should be glad you're not in daytime.

This is actually early morning (Peter just woke up). I know, it doesn't look like it + sun is high up in the sky but whatever.

I just played the junkiest section so far. It involved yet another bicycle ride and a photo op. I won't post pics of bugs that I've encountered there, instead, here's a young Peter and completely acceptable NPC that you need to save:

F8_nvEtXUAAoUTI

This is actually early morning (Peter just woke up). I know, it doesn't look like it + sun is high up in the sky but whatever.

I just played the junkiest section so far. It involved yet another bicycle ride and a photo op. I won't post pics of bugs that I've encountered there, instead, here's a young Peter and completely acceptable NPC that you need to save:

F8_nvEtXUAAoUTI
I think i'm at mission right before this.
Seriously I don't want to finish the game yet. Heard that you gonna stuck with daytime after finished main story. Will wait until an update allow to change time of day :goog_rolleyes:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
GymWolf GymWolf you mentioned yesterday that some snowflake was crying after completing a side-mission.

I think I just finished that mission (no spoilers! 🕊️🕊️🕊️), and if I'm not mistaken then... hahahah ahah ahhahaha hahahaha!!!

F8_nvEtXUAAoUTI

They need to fix the shading on faces

SABRE220

Watching the Spiderman 2 media just made me realize how disappointing digital foundries' technical reviews have become. John has basically completely stopped objectively reviewing high-tier aaa games in fear of offending the devs. He basically never goes over any of the technical deficiencies and weaknesses of the technical makeup and only gushes over the strong points presenting almost every aaa release as if its a flawless technical masterpiece. It was the same scenario with the Starfield technical review as well.

DF technical reviews used to be far more critical during the ps3/360 era and had much more depth.

Regarding Spiderman 2, Im sadly quite underwhelmed. Its traversal is no doubt very impressive but in terms of fidelity, the ps4 roots of the engine definitely show up. The biggest surprise is just how inconsistent the visuals are it looks good in certain areas and falls off a cliff within minutes, the original game was much more consistent in terms of visuals and they somehow managed to make the character models worse than the last game..

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can't find really good shots but Like a Dragon and Lost Judgement, while they probably wouldn't win awards as if you dissect the content you will find loads of low polygon stuff and other flaws, overall they manage to be great looking games with some really natural lighting and materials.
255D8277C9B6E0E24DD89D580A15D4F8AE92A319

I don't expect the upcoming games from the studio to be a great leap forward visually (I mean, we've seen they're basically the same, again) but whenever they actually bother to upgrade their engine and content again with all the modern bells and whistles they will probably be a contender.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

F8_nvEtXUAAoUTI

53275904550_1786aceb02_o.png

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I really can't stop smiling tonight. This here is everything I wanted and more from SM2 night rendering (Yes MidGen this is my gameplay). This is the only game where I switch to 30fps on purpose lol. The sense of speed is insane. Also, some suits have better pbr than others, such as this one. Fucking amazing!

miklonus

I'll keep saying it: Mary-Jane Watson looks like a 30-something year old mom, Peter Parker looks half her age, and looks like he could be slightly younger than Miles Morales, and Harry Osbourne, Harry fuckin' Osbourne, looks more Pete than Pete.

It's doubly wrong when you know that there was an older-more manly, mature-lookin' Pete from the first game, the PS4 non-remastered/un-remastered version. I will not stop complaining about it. And as far as Mary goes, I don't even mind her face, but I hate the absolute PlayStation 4-ness of it.

It just looks....pre-2020-ish. There are PS4 games that have better-looking characters than her. Y'all know the usual suspects.

SlimySnake

Yeah and SM2 is not even close. Having blurred RT reflection of buildings has no barring on the look or "rendering" of water as most of the reflection on the water is coming from the sky and light.

Its not even close, SM2 water rendering is hideous compared to SOT.

There's so many things that goes into water rendering to make it look good and blurred RT reflection of environment (buildings) is not even on the list.

For example light and color transmission. Water Transparency. Light scattering that creates sparkles.
Caustics, water foam, light surface bounce, fog light scattering in water, water/underwater blur transition, self-shadowing, light reflections, realistic water detail, water effects (splashes, waves, foam), etc.

I posted this before and it makes more point. No RT is involved in this shot and yet its water rendering I have ever seen in a game engine.

I think horizon and sea of thieves are rendering the ocean while Spiderman is rendering the hudson river which is why they look different. Hudson river can get that rough during some storms, but it wouldnt make sense to have waves like horizon, sot and AK. though i wont lie, if they did, i would be ecstatic.

hatkj8xi5umpnxu7sskc.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am comparing just the look of it. Looks far less gamey than these overanimated waters. Which again is fine. Give me over the top over subtle any day. But I am also a big of Spiderman 2's water shading, the rendering, and just how beautiful it looks. I dont even care about the building reflections. I just love whatever effect they are using to light up the ocean. it feels like the sun is being reflected off of it and it produces are more realistic water than the much more expressive and animated water in sea of thieves and arkham knight.

Lethal01

I'll keep saying it: Mary-Jane Watson looks like a 30-something year old mom, Peter Parker looks half her age, and looks like he could be slightly younger than Miles Morales, and Harry Osbourne, Harry fuckin' Osbourne, looks more Pete than Pete.

It's doubly wrong when you know that there was an older-more manly, mature-lookin' Pete from the first game, the PS4 non-remastered/un-remastered version. I will not stop complaining about it. And as far as Mary goes, I don't even mind her face, but I hate the absolute PlayStation 4-ness of it.

It just looks....pre-2020-ish. There are PS4 games that have better-looking characters than her. Y'all know the usual suspects.

PS4 peter was a disgusting gremlin and the remastered version of him will always be an upgrade.

SlimySnake

Watching the Spiderman 2 media just made me realize how disappointing digital foundries' technical reviews have become. John has basically completely stopped objectively reviewing high-tier aaa games in fear of offending the devs. He basically never goes over any of the technical deficiencies and weaknesses of the technical makeup and only gushes over the strong points presenting almost every aaa release as if its a technical masterpiece. It was the same scenario with the Starfield technical review as well.

DF technical reviews used to be far more critical during the ps3/360 era and had much more depth.

Regarding Spiderman 2, Im sadly quite underwhelmed. Its traversal is no doubt very impressive but in terms of fidelity, the ps4 roots of the engine definitely show up. The biggest surprise is just how inconsitent the visuals are it looks good in certain areas and falls off a cliff within minutes, the original game was much more consistent in terms of visuals and they somehow managed to make the character models worse than the last game..
I honestly have no idea what went wrong with the character models. They seem incomplete to me. MJ looks fine in some shots. Atrocious in others. And mostly unfinished. Like its something some hero lighting or shadows. Peter's lip syncing is off in many scenes. Harry looks really good which makes no sense because hes not the main character. The hair rendering is excellent in both cutscenes and gameplay, but MJ's hair doesnt always look great. Other character's red hair looks phenomenal in her only scene while MJ's hair in first scene is all over the place.

I think the lack of an upgrade in their skin shading and building assets is doing a disservice to all the hard work put in else where. Im honestly very impressed by the street level detail. the traffic is dense. there are hundreds of pedestrians doing their own thing. this is by the most lived in city ive ever seen. it shits on cyberpunk in that regard. im sure gta6 will shit on spiderman 2, but i find myself simply walking around even queens because it feels so alive. Another massive upgrade is in the lighting which again is held back by last gen asset quality. its like putting lipstick on a stick. thats the reason why the game looks so uneven, they forgot to upgrade their asset quality.

DF has done good work with RE4, Star Wars, TLOU and several other games this year. Especially the PC versions. But they went out of their way to treat starfield, forza and now spiderman 2 with kids gloves. forza and spiderman 2 are getting dev interviews on DF so that explains something, but starfield? dude you can talk about downgrades.

I care about this because their harsh reviews of RE4 demos, star wars, and tlou's pc ports resulted in those games fixing their issues. and most of them in a relatively quick manner. devs have admitted to talking about watching these reviews like a hawk so they dont listen to DF. Or at least are aware of the potential fallbacks of half a million people watching a scathing review.

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea what went wrong with the character models. They seem incomplete to me. MJ looks fine in some shots. Atrocious in others. And mostly unfinished. Like its something some hero lighting or shadows. Peter's lip syncing is off in many scenes. Harry looks really good which makes no sense because hes not the main character. The hair rendering is excellent in both cutscenes and gameplay, but MJ's hair doesnt always look great. Other character's red hair looks phenomenal in her only scene while MJ's hair in first scene is all over the place.

I think the lack of an upgrade in their skin shading and building assets is doing a disservice to all the hard work put in else where. Im honestly very impressed by the street level detail. the traffic is dense. there are hundreds of pedestrians doing their own thing. this is by the most lived in city ive ever seen. it shits on cyberpunk in that regard. im sure gta6 will shit on spiderman 2, but i find myself simply walking around even queens because it feels so alive. Another massive upgrade is in the lighting which again is held back by last gen asset quality. its like putting lipstick on a stick. thats the reason why the game looks so uneven, they forgot to upgrade their asset quality.

DF has done good work with RE4, Star Wars, TLOU and several other games this year. Especially the PC versions. But they went out of their way to treat starfield, forza and now spiderman 2 with kids gloves. forza and spiderman 2 are getting dev interviews on DF so that explains something, but starfield? dude you can talk about downgrades.

I care about this because their harsh reviews of RE4 demos, star wars, and tlou's pc ports resulted in those games fixing their issues. and most of them in a relatively quick manner. devs have admitted to talking about watching these reviews like a hawk so they dont listen to DF. Or at least are aware of the potential fallbacks of half a million people watching a scathing review.
What went wrong? It’s really not that complex. It’s (generously) a ~2018-2020 PS4 game with PS5 traversal/travel speed. Simple. Okay and maybe they took the traffic+NPC density setting from medium to very high and called it a day. But yeah that’s it basically.

That’s why it looks out of place here in late 2023 almost 2024

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Simple. Okay and maybe they took the traffic+NPC density setting from medium to very high and called it a day. But yeah that’s it basically.
Nah they did that for Miles and the PS5 remastered. Way higher traffic density and pedestrian count compared to the PS4 versions. This is just on another level. Its a true next gen leap in that regard.

The lighting is also a massive leap. Generational? Maybe not, but massive. Horizon 1 to Horizon 2 level leap. You have next gen hair, next gen water rendering and of course the new traversal stuff which is all very new and very impressive. its clear that they didnt just turn sliders but went in and changed everything from the ground up for the things they did improve.

they just left the buildings and asset quality the same and its come back to bite them in the ass.

Last edited:
Nah they did that for Miles and the PS5 remastered. Way higher traffic density and pedestrian count compared to the PS4 versions. This is just on another level. Its a true next gen leap in that regard.

The lighting is also a massive leap. Generational? Maybe not, but massive. Horizon 1 to Horizon 2 level leap. You have next gen hair, next gen water rendering and of course the new traversal stuff which is all very new and very impressive. its clear that they didnt just turn sliders but went in and changed everything from the ground up for the things they did improve.

they just left the buildings and asset quality the same and its come back to bite them in the ass.
I’d challenge the water rendering as “next Gen”

As for your other comments. I mean that’s kinda what I said. Lighting quality. Tick it up. (I’ll admit this is the biggest upgrade but still eh). NPC density. Tick it up.

GOW to Ragnarok improved the lighting tremendously. This feels pretty similar to me

SlimySnake

Not sure how accurate this is but this website is saying that gta6 will be a massive step up from rdr2. Expect water simulations, vehicle deformation , weather among other upgrades designed to make the game the best ever.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Man, spider man’s graphics improve quite a bit at other times of day besides full daytime.

I personally think that full daytime looks better than early morning. Night time is the best at hiding game shortcomings and looks very good when swinging around. Evening has beautiful skybox.

I’m yet to experience any kind of weather effect.

I say it again: this game should have full day and night cycle.

amigastar

Not sure how accurate this is but this website is saying that gta6 will be a massive step up from rdr2. Expect water simulations, vehicle deformation , weather among other upgrades designed to make the game the best ever.

Yep, we are in for a treat with GTA VI i'm sure.

Top Bottom