• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Buggy Loop

Seriously, what is this game. Wow.

9He2Czd.jpg

Played it like a year ago and yea, it aged too well. It shames most AAA games today and it was in 2015.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah, i played for years at native 1440p, dlss wasn't as common nor as good.

The right term was dithering, not shimmering ( i think)

In general, the game is full of artifacts in motion, especially notable during traversal (not only around spidey, everywhere)

I'm not even gonna spend more words on the butt ugly models because it's like beating a dead spider.

Playing horizon before this make me apprecciate horizon even more, the difference is abyssal.

Hell it make me reconsider even ragnarock.
Its possible that their artificial insemination technique is not working well. or maybe its what yamaci17 yamaci17 said and is related to their shaperning filter.

GOW ragnroak's performance mode had a lot of dithering too in the open world boat levels. It was also 1440p. I played it in the 40 fps mode which was in the 1800p-2160p mode.

Sony studios need to come up with a DLSS like upscaling solution because FSR and their internal techniques are not good enough. I remember when they came up with MLAA on the PS3 using the cell processor, so maybe they can leverage some of the unique PS5 hardware to do better upscaling than what we are currently getting. DLSS is just leagues ahead in terms of image stability.

I mentioned the poor textures, asset quality, volumetric lighting, static lighting and single time of day that i consider AK's weaknesses. I pointed out its art design, rain, lighting and water as its strengths. Finally i pointed out the SCOPE of Spiderman's setpieces as a strength. Fairly level headed and reasonable compared to what you did which was LOL DIDNT READ PISS OFF CLOWN.

And i made all those points to refute a statement which said that spiderman 2 and other PS5 only games look a gen behind Arkham Knight. A statement you agreed with when you left a like, and doubled down on when you said me saying otherwise was a clownish statement. I literally said Spiderman does NOT look a generation ahead of Arkham Knight, and i bet you didnt even read that because you were so triggered.
Nah you said it had “some” poor texture and asset work. If you actually said what you’re trying to revise now that the whole game has poor asset and texture work I’d simply have to laugh in your face sir because it had/has amazing asset and texture work that holds up to this day. I was just playing it on my 4k tv like last week and was floored how modern it looks.

And also your single time of day comment is the silliest thing I’ve read because you might have forgotten the game is featuring Batman? Ya know the superhero? Alter ego Bruce wayne? Yeah so he only operates at night 99% of the time that’s like a ginormous part of the characters whole lore and is consistent with the last 3 whole Arkham games before knight game out.

I’ll finish off by reminding you of two things, A. scale is not graphics, and also if you can find one other part of the game besides the opening with that sweet ff16 level scale let me know, and B. I literally just told you I wasn’t liking that specific comment you zeroed in on, I was liking the general sentiment of “this game looked so good and this new one wow they phoned it in”

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its possible that their artificial insemination technique is not working well. or maybe its what yamaci17 yamaci17 said and is related to their shaperning filter.

GOW ragnroak's performance mode had a lot of dithering too in the open world boat levels. It was also 1440p. I played it in the 40 fps mode which was in the 1800p-2160p mode.

Sony studios need to come up with a DLSS like upscaling solution because FSR and their internal techniques are not good enough. I remember when they came up with MLAA on the PS3 using the cell processor, so maybe they can leverage some of the unique PS5 hardware to do better upscaling than what we are currently getting. DLSS is just leagues ahead in terms of image stability.
Yeah the sharpening is exagerated, maybe they are gonna patch in a slider.

Why don't they use their checkboard tech? i thought it was pretty good in hzd and all the game that used it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
One of those case where art design and scene composition does the heavy lifting (like rdr2), pretty sure that if you get close to any surface, most of them are gonna show their age.

Also, dark+rain, nothing better to make something look better than it is, slimy's ass is still burning for that tekken 8 reveal fiasco.

m2ixVQJ.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah the sharpening is exagerated, maybe they are gonna patch in a slider.

Why don't they use their checkboard tech? i thought it was pretty good in hzd and all the game that used it.
because for some retarded reason, they have their own technique called temporal injection and it worked flawlessly in the ratchet remake, spiderman 1, ratchet rift apart and miles. the difference is that they were upscaling from 1620p which is slightly higher res than 1440p you are currently playing in and way higher than 1080p the performance mode is dropping down to. i believe 1620p is around 4.5 million pixels and 1440p is 3.7 million so upscaling from a higher resolution likely causing the additional image breakup.

GG has always used checkerboard since 2017 and even they fucked it up with HFW when they brought the resolution down to 1800p checkerboard. so 2.8 million pixels compared to 4.1 million pixels of the 4kcb Horizon ZD used. They needed to go back and redesign the whole algorithm to feed it more motion vector data similar to what AMD has done with FSR 2.0. maybe thats what insomniac needs to do with the temporal injection technique. i honestly dont know because im not seeing this in the native 4k mode.

This is why I want Sony devs to pool their resources into one engine, and with everyone working on one engine and one upscaling technique, who knows maybe they will be able to get something like DLSS performance to look good because right now, even 1440p upscaled to 4k dlss and fsr quality) seems to have a lot of image breakup.

cmon dude that pic is horrible. the assets are not that bad;
jlBucDO.png

they look ok. it would be wise to remember that this game had to strand itself to 2-3 gb memory limitation due to gtx 700 series at the time. it used around 3.5-4 gb if you max it out but texture quality was still tailored to run compliant with 2-3 gb gpu of pathetic vram

so the fact that these assets are a product of limited 2-3 gb vram target, it is even more impressive.

considering spooderman has like 6x more memory budget and an ssd tha can help with asset streaming, it is actually rather funny that there's not even a full gen leap between them

maybe truly devs hit a wall. it is very possible.

look at alan wake 2. do u know why most people are angry? because the demos or videos they show... while super in terms of lighting, shadows and etc... textures look like dogcrap. why? because all that lighting, path tracing or mesh shading or whatever takes up immense amount of VRAM. so there practically no vram budget left in 10-12 gb cards to get meaningful texture upgrades. hence the game still looks subpar somehow. even with all its glory.

cyberpunk is very different as it uses out of ordinary texture streaming and texturing systems so it still somehow produces good textures (up close or close) when you actually investigate them

read about it. it is why this is the only game that can match good looking textures with gorgeous advanced lighting with pathetic vram budgets (8-10-12)

cyberpunk, where it matters, do not even use the classic textures as we know it. once you actually see it, you can't unsee it. most characters and their clothes are definitely not "regular" textures that most other games use.

read the 1st comment. pretty informative

alan wake 2 clearly an offender. its textures look lastgen. simple as that. and there's no remedy for it, unless remedy could be even go bolder and make the game exclusive to 16 gb cards lol

People are angry at Alan wake 2? Crazy that game looks awesome graphically to me

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Haven’t played SM2 myself, but I think it should be commended for its draw distance. Even the current graphics kings (cyberpunk, Horizon, etc) suffer from pretty aggressive pop in. Being able to fly through a city environment at high speed without the game falling apart is a significant breakthrough imo.

I hate pop in and any game that prioritizes reducing it gets bonus points from me.

Last edited:

yamaci17

People are angry at Alan wake 2? Crazy that game looks awesome graphically to me
unlike df or some sophisticated ray tracing enjoyer, most people look at stuff and even if they see a horrible brick texture, they will be angry about that game

a still from this trailer:

91thKGh.png

run off the mill casual user will not notice how gorgeus the lighting is in this scene. they will notice the dogshit car and its dogshit lastgen textures. they will see the road textures they've been seeing for 7 years now. everything in this scene, aside from top notch path tracing lighting, is lastgen. and since most people won't catch the subtle beauty of ray traced lighting (and I can't blame them), they will be angry about it and its requirements

do remember that the game still demands powerful hardware without ray tracing. and take ray tracing out of the equation, game has lastgen looks. I will be honest, I also think the image above screams lastgen. the core problem clearly is assets.
it could be just IGTI being IGTI more than the sharpening. the spiderman 1 did not rely on IGTI alone. IGTI used there was just to compliment and already well tuned TAA for PS4. PS4 pro only used IGTI as a bonus. PS5 spiderman 2 however uses IGTI as an actual required upscaler. the spiderman 1 never required IGTI or upscaler. it looked perfectly clean and without artifacts on base PS4 at 1080p.

Imsomniac tried to incorporate the improvements to the ray traced reflections they made for PC to the PS5 version of spiderman 2. as a result GPU probably took a big hit. to recover, they must've used a different algorythm of IGTI, a more artifact prone one. you can't have it all.

Arkham knight was developed on the same consoles as the first spiderman 1 and it had some pretty piss poor textures and asset quality. I dont much care about textures tbh. I want everything to be modeled like it is cyberpunk and the matrix. no more bs painted on textures, thank you. Thats been my one gripe with insomniac's buildings.

Regardless, if we are making the vram argument then by definition, spiderman 2 and gotham knights with their better asset quality are better right? why are we allowing people to say that these games look a gen behind?

well as I said, arkham knight is held back by PC GPUs of its time. the games simply can't target very different baselines, it is really hard to gracefully scale. so it is better to target 2 GB GPUs and scale upwards. In the case of PS4, they would have to reauthor all textures and that would also create a PR disaster for NVIDIA at the time. the majority of people were on 2-3 GB GPUs. it is why Jensen quickly started spamming super cheap, budget, high performance 6 GB 1060s. So that games can target full 6 GB buffer on PS4 and 6 GB on PC on a mere 1060.

Same should've happened with the arrival of 12 GB 3060. Yet we now have 8 GB 4060. smh. More and more 8 GB cards. And Series S. Things are much, much more complicated this time around.

yamaci17

SlimySnake SlimySnake
here's a weird comparison for u lol
IMG1820 ps5 spiderman remastered fidelity mode
IMG1819 ps5 spiderman 2 fidelity mode

rest is miles morales with various ray tracing pc options (at 4K dlss performance)

this here shows u that some of the improvements were built upon the work they did for PC versions

These are a bit funny:

PC high crowd density spawns a lot more NPCs compared to PS5 spiderman 2, but the car rate stays calm.

I wonder if DF will compare spiderman remastered/miles morales maxed on PC versus spiderman 2 on PS5.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

SlimySnake SlimySnake
here's a weird comparison for u lol
IMG1820 ps5 spiderman remastered fidelity mode
IMG1819 ps5 spiderman 2 fidelity mode

rest is miles morales with various ray tracing pc options (at 4K dlss performance)

this here shows u that some of the improvements were built upon the work they did for PC versions

These are a bit funny:

PC high crowd density spawns a lot more NPCs compared to PS5 spiderman 2, but the car rate stays calm.

I wonder if DF will compare spiderman remastered/miles morales maxed on PC versus spiderman 2 on PS5.
Nixxes were responsible for the PC version of Spider-Man with some input from Insomniac Games.

Also, what are you getting at? I don't understand the comparison.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Nixxes were responsible for the PC version of Spider-Man with some input from Insomniac Games.

Also, what are you getting at? I don't understand the comparison.
im getting nowhere lol. just some random comparisons for fun we did with my friend

dont worry im not trying to downplay ps5 version etc. it just shows that ps5 base spiderman could've been better, maybe as good as pc version at 30 fps mode or something. if u really want me to go somewhere, that's where I would go. they kept some upgrades so that there can be some solid differences between 1 and 2 on that front

ChiefDada

Gold Member
im getting nowhere lol. just some random comparisons for fun we did with my friend

dont worry im not trying to downplay ps5 version etc. it just shows that ps5 base spiderman could've been better, maybe as good as pc version at 30 fps mode or something. if u really want me to go somewhere, that's where I would go. they kept some upgrades so that there can be some solid differences between 1 and 2 on that front

Tech improvements can always be made but there will always be time constraints. A game has to ship at some point. TLOU2 on PS4 could look better than it's 2020 release because developers always learn and create faster code for their engines as time goes on.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Both images are compressed as hell, but one of them has 4 times as many pixels. Not really fair.

Umm ok is that my fault or does that illustrate an more efficient vs less efficient engine? Also, you think resolution bump will improve the subpar character lighting in the ue5 demo? You are more than welcome to contribute wit screenshots of your own that you deem are more fairly representative.

First time interacting with ChiefDada ChiefDada ?

Cheap shot but whatever. What exactly makes my comparison unfair?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What exactly makes my comparison unfair?

To be clear, I don't think night time in Matrix Demo looks good. Not at all. But first of all, it would be nice to mention that it is in experimental phase. Second, it would help to share a full resolution image and not some compressed, pixelated mess. That's it.

Cheap shot but whatever.

No, it's not. You accused me of trying hard to downplay Spider-Man 2 but it just seems like you're projecting. I've posted a lot of beautiful shots from that game (more than you). Your comparison with Matrix was garbage and you know it. Stop acting stupid.

Edit: this is the image quality that can be captured from that demo running on PS5. How do I know it? I just took that screenshot.

F9Ed1_rXkAAfqVQ

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
To be clear, I don't think night time in Matrix Demo looks good. Not at all. But first of all, it would be nice to mention that it is in experimental phase. Second, it would help to share a full resolution image and not some compressed, pixelated mess. That's it.

Both of these were taken as a snapshot straight from my PS5. One after the other. No edits of any kind. In fact, for some reason the Matrix picture is a bigger file

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Both of these were taken as a snapshot straight from my PS5. One after the other. No edits of any kind. In fact, for some reason the Matrix picture is a bigger file

You're full of shit. You're not interested in graphics, technology or art. You just want to make your favourite game on your favourite system look good and nothing else matters.

STFU, take your own screenshots, post to your own Twitter/X and then we can talk.

iSxPmDWr97248.gif

ChiefDada

Gold Member
STFU, take your own screenshots, post to your own Twitter/X and then we can talk.

Lol.

I really can't stop smiling tonight. This here is everything I wanted and more from SM2 night rendering (Yes MidGen this is my gameplay). This is the only game where I switch to 30fps on purpose lol. The sense of speed is insane. Also, some suits have better pbr than others, such as this one. Fucking amazing!

T4keD0wN

First time interacting with ChiefDada ChiefDada ?
Possibly
does that illustrate an more efficient vs less efficient engine
Definitely not
Also, you think resolution bump will improve the subpar character lighting in the ue5 demo?
It wont really improve the "art direction" or increase the amount of sources, but the ones that exist will definitely look more detailed, not to mention the massive impact lossless image can provide in many other areas which might make up for the lightining. It wont really change much when it comes to lightning if we isolate just that aspect of the picture.
In the images that are uploaded here Matrix ends up smaller. 488kbs vs 715kbs. One might argue that it favours Matrix picture as its much lower resolution, so the quality loss could theoretically be lower, but its a bit more complicated than that. Ill give you that.

Last edited:

Xtib81

For all its technical flaws, draw distance isn't one of them. I'm constantly in awe looking over NYC and flying, it is sooo good. I was never a fan of SM1 but this one is way more enjoyable for me. Traversal in this game is unmatched.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
In the images that are uploaded here Matrix ends up smaller. 488kbs vs 715kbs. One might argue that it favours Matrix picture as its much lower resolution, so the quality loss could theoretically be lower, but its a bit more complicated than that. Ill give you that.

This is weird. I am going to attempt with fresh pics as comparable as possible. And don't listen to Mid-Gen, Dada isn't full of dodo. Only reason I am comparing in the first place is Ue5 fanatics tried to lynch me when I made this comment a while back.

Spider-Man 2 will look better than the Matrix demo.

And for the most part I think I was right. Regardless, now that SM2 is out, we can finally compare fidelity of an open world current gen only game vs open world, UE5 demo. Honestly surprised that DF didn't think to do this.

Nasigil

I've played neither games but just looking at the dozens of images in this thread, Arkham Knight looks way better than Spiderman 2 for me. The dripping atmosphere, the art direction, the lighting, I can't believe this game came out 8 years ago.

Nothing confused me more when I see people posting "I am blown away by Spiderman 2" and accompanied it with a thoroughly unimpressive screenshot.

shamoomoo

No, it's not. You accused me of trying hard to downplay Spider-Man 2 but it just seems like you're projecting. I've posted a lot of beautiful shots from that game (more than you). Your comparison with Matrix was garbage and you know it. Stop acting stupid.

Edit: this is the image quality that can be captured from that demo running on PS5. How do I know it? I just took that screenshot.

F9Ed1_rXkAAfqVQ
But both games are upscaled and the Matrix demo was the second showing of UE5, Rift Apart was the first next gen game by Insomniac Games with a cross gen and port of the first Spider-Man game. I fail to see how this isn't a fair comparison? There were more updates to UE5 before before Spider-Man 2 release that made the engine more efficient for games.

Alex11

F9Ed1_rXkAAfqVQ
Holy shit, I mean art and preferences aside, this really looks like an actual photo, to downplay Matrix, even if it's a demo or experimental or whatever is weird, this is like downplaying the PT in Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom