• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

PeteBull

No1 would bat an eye if they left her like in spiderman1, so actually good looking and in her 20s, not 50s, on resetera u would have all kinds of basement dwellers keep saying its light/angle/different time of a day, but here no need to be politically correct, we can call out shit :p

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No1 would bat an eye if they left her like in spiderman1, so actually good looking and in her 20s, not 50s, on resetera u would have all kinds of basement dwellers keep saying its light/angle/different time of a day, but here no need to be politically correct, we can call out shit :p
I keep saying to myself it’s just bad light in the mirror. And just like that, I look 30kg slimmer

Lethal01

We were talking about the fact all the characters looks weird graphically regardless of if you want to bang em.
Other ugly character look good graphically when the scene they are in are actually lit well.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Exactly! The clothes and faces look worse on some models for some weird reason. It not the resolution thats causing this, it the texture quality and the shaders.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023211525.png

This one in particular looks especially bad. Eyes look good, but the rest of it looks at least 5 years old.

PeteBull

We were talking about the fact all the characters looks weird graphically regardless of if you want to bang em.
Other ugly character look good graphically when the scene they are in are actually lit well.

It doesnt matter if i want or not want to bang them, fact is they made mj in spiderman2 look 40yo+, and its not just my opinion, look at those yt comments, its super obvious to every1, only some woke whiteknights defend that change, i bet on shitera they would ban me 10 times over for pointing out devs made mj much older/uglier and totally inapriopriate as peters love interests, luckily here i can at least call it out :)

Edit: If MJ was actually 40yo in og story, i would understand it, but we saw her in spiderman1 and we know for a fact she should be in her 20s, not 40s, which dude, who looks likes peter parker would try to get into relationship with 40+yo looking woman like mj looks in spiderman2, all cutsceness with her are super weird, coz its like teenagers/young adults + middleaged woman playing pretend she is young again.

Here, this guy explained it in video, again proof im not alone in this and every1 noticed it, its obvious af

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah ragnarock was definitely more consistent.

Dude i swear they fucked up even some clothes\dress materials that they were so good at like you see in the miles pic, like the models they were not even and maybe the overall quality was slightly worse overall, maybe because the IQ wasn't as good.

I'm gonna go overboard and say that at his best, insomniac make the best materials for most type of clothes, for example i don't like how ND render some clothes, i was not impressed with that in tlou2.

There is just something wrong with this

maxresdefault.jpg

The-Last-Of-Us-Part-II-Grey-Ellie-Grey-Shirt.jpg

I can't find 4k pics damn.
ND clothes are trash. their faces are the best. especially facial expressions.
these are 4k pics. ive posted them here before.

FY9pdjVXwAEUDCY

FY9paujX0AAV6E2

they need hero lighting and way better texture quality on their characters. right now they almost blend in. its hard to make out texture detail on jeans and jackets. they use all their polygon budget for the environment which would be good if they were making first person games, but here, they stand out.

meanwhile GG is going ham on all kinds of different textures in horizon. like everything is individually modeled.

FbvraeXWQAAgsY3

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man i tried the 30fps mode first and it felt like it was stuttering. The controlls where also so slow that i was like nope. And im a guy that can play 30fps games on console without a problem. I played UC4, TLOU2, Driveclub, SM:MM and tons of other games at 30fps and never had this problem. For whatever reason this games 30fps mode doesn't feel solid at all (for a 30fps game ofcourse). 40fps mode is much much better and the difference is minimal. I compared them both and you need to look at still images back and forth to notice the small increase in sharpness.
Difference between 30 fps and 40 fps in this game is a whopping 100% difference in resolution. its mostly 1440p whereas 30 fps is mostly 2160p. To make matters worse, their reconstruction technique is much worse than even checkerboard or fsr2. let alone dlss or native. so you done fucked up.

I have played the game in 30 fps from the start and it is one of the more smoothest playing 30 fps games ive played. miles was much worse than this because the snow at 30 fps really made it feel bad. but here, no snow means its mostly fine.

played zelda and ff16 at 30 fps so figured id be able to adjust to this game as long as i never switched to 60 fps and it was the right choice. it honestly feels so smooth that i sometimes have to check and see if it didnt switch me to 40 fps mode. but i definitely have 120 hz mode disabled.

hlm666

So the Ark remaster looks better than I expected, not sure it matches the trailer but I expected worse. The performance could be an absolute shitshow as I havn't seen it on lesser systems yet. If it was a free update for existing users I would have a look, i'm not buying this game again though. Once for 30 bucks in early access years ago is enough.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is the worse shot you could have chose to defend the character model
this may look realistic, but it doesn't look alive

Guys. guys. All I've said is that characters look 'good'. I used the word 'good' and you're acting like I fucked your mom. Relax.

lKqJBIR.jpg

lDntTNg.jpg

Looks fantastic, it's oozing with atmosphere, great GI and just beautifully cohesive.

Yeah man, presentation is amazing. Feels very expensive.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I tagged one of the resident Insomniac devs into a post and asked him if he could help explain the technical reasons why some aspects of SM2’s graphics seemed worse than previous entries (character models/faces, shimmering in performance mode etc). Another poster then attacked me saying I should stop being negative and shaming devs etc, to which I responded “It was just a question. Deal with it”. Which earned me a week’s ban.

To be honest, I probably won’t return to ERA. I prefer this place.
Lmao. Its no wonder devs love it there - they are protected like little children. Any little form of criticism towards a game/dev is met with a hive mind mentality and everyone then attacks the person that asked the question. Devs therefore get no real feedback, and we get basic ass games all generation. I'd respect the hell out of any dev who posted in this thread - But id have a better chance of fucking taylor swift
Game looks nice

KTeVwv7.jpg

zj7JIPZ.jpg
How is the gameplay? does the combat feel solid and heavy like TLOU or do guns feel paperweight? Good enemy hit reaction? Or do they just get hit and die like in a Souls game
Cant wait to jump into this shit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lmao. Its no wonder devs love it there - they are protected like little children. Any little form of criticism towards a game/dev is met with a hive mind mentality and everyone then attacks the person that asked the question. Devs therefore get no real feedback, and we get basic ass games all generation. I'd respect the hell out of any dev who posted in this thread - But id have a better chance of fucking taylor swift

How does is the gameplay? does the combat feel solid and heavy like TLOU or do guns feel paperweight? Good enemy hit reaction? Or do they just get hit and die like in a Souls game
When you get the game i would love to know this from a tlou2 lover.

Also how frequent combat is, if it is like quantum break with like 25 finite enemy encounters all story related they can fuck off.

Yeah (main) characters looks great but nowhere near nextgen, let's be real, looking great is not a novelty since 2016 when unchy4 came out.

The sweater looks more impressive than her face :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
have u started playing the game? The first scene imo looks crazy good, very limited gameplay wise but graphically crazy - is more what I expected this gen to look like in general.

There’s a bunch of obviously straight up last gen stuff in it tho - particularly assets like cars etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
have u started playing the game? The first scene imo looks crazy good, very limited gameplay wise but graphically crazy - is more what I expected this gen to look like in general.

There’s a bunch of obviously straight up last gen stuff in it tho - particularly assets like cars etc.
Unfortunately i don't have much interest in the game and today ufc 5 is out, only judgying from pics here and yt.

Maybe when it go down in price.

Last edited:

Audiophile

The issue with the water in Spidey 2 when viewed from a distance is the fine specular. It makes it look incredibly coarse and harsh, not to mention it's quite uniform. It may be quite realistic for that body of water in real life; but sometimes you have to avoid realism if you want something to look pleasing. Even real life high res video of water like this looks quite unpleasant on modern displays. The water in the og Watch_Dogs for eg. is much more pleasing, it's smoother with a more diffuse specular element and appears much more varied.

Up close, the Spidey 2 water also lacks dynamism, the textures used for interactions look cheap and nasty.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How does is the gameplay? does the combat feel solid and heavy like TLOU or do guns feel paperweight? Good enemy hit reaction? Or do they just get hit and die like in a Souls game

I've only used 2 guns (pistol and shotgun) but yes, you can feel the punch and enemies react appropriately.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Game is crazy. I don't know when was the last time I was this impressed by graphics and presentation. Max Payne 1/2 remake automatically jumps to number 1 most anticipated game for me.

vTsJTZQ.jpg

alloush

Unfortunately i don't have much interest in the game and today ufc 5 is out, only judgying from pics here and yt.

Maybe when it go down in price.
A UFC fan? Ahh you are a man of culture Gym, though I aint a fan of the UFC games themselves. Favorite fighter Jon Jones?

Neilg

Guys. guys. All I've said is that characters look 'good'. I used the word 'good' and you're acting like I fucked your mom. Relax.

lol it's a graphics tech thread.
The lack of SSS is noticable when everything else in the game looks so good. the harsh side lights picking up the bump map on the faces looks pretty shit. I think it's a pretty good example of how it's not possible to have one gave that does everything better than every other game. you kind of only get to pick one area for any given game to set a new standard in.
The environments and atmosphere is second to none, they're absolutely raising the bar there.
Remedy have also nailed that david fincher style cinematic presentation. a little soft, a little noisy, great use of contrast and color grading. They've always been great at that and very few other games manage to pull it off without going too heavy-handed and making it look shit.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
lol it's a graphics tech thread.
The lack of SSS is noticable when everything else in the game looks so good. the harsh side lights picking up the bump map on the faces looks pretty shit. I think it's a pretty good example of how it's not possible to have one gave that does everything better than every other game. you kind of only get to pick one area for any given game to set a new standard in.
The environments and atmosphere is second to none, they're absolutely raising the bar there.

It's such a small thing, I don't even care. There are scenes in this game where you start questioning if this is some kind of pre-rendered cinematic or is this a game. And then it smoothly gives you control and you're like 'fuck'. It's amazing.

l0sTYbx.jpg

dq7ziX7.jpg

i6oZ2Vn.jpg

Last edited:

Neilg

It's such a small thing, I don't even care.

You're in the wrong thread to make that point... It's like coming in here and saying you dont care about raytraced reflections and can't even see the difference. For a while this thread was a sincere discussion of tech, those differences and how features get implemented. unfortunately these days it's mostly just calling devs lazy and women ugly but that's by the by.
Are you personally responsible for disabling SSS in AW2 or something? you're taking it being pointed out as if it's a personal attack. It's only notable that it's missing because almost everything else about the visuals of AW2 is flawless and raises the bar. people arent mad at you.

Last edited:

alloush

And then it smoothly gives you control and you're like 'fuck'. It's amazing.
Ahh I love it when this happens and it only happened once lol and that was with The Matrix demo. When they transitioned from a cutscene to gameplay in the same scene with the same graphical prowess which made my jaw drop all the way to the floor. I’ll never forget this moment. Gorgeous stuff!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You're in the wrong thread to make that point... It's like coming in here and saying you dont care about raytraced reflections and can't even see the difference. For a while this thread was a sincere discussion of tech, those differences and how features get implemented. unfortunately these days it's mostly just calling devs lazy and women ugly but that's by the by.
Are you personally responsible for disabling SSS in AW2 or something? you're taking it being pointed out as if it's a personal attack. It's only notable that it's missing because almost everything else about the visuals of AW2 is flawless and raises the bar. people arent mad at you.

No man, I don't care because the overall package is so good. It's just one 'feature' missing but you're acting like someone stole your sandwich. I'm trying to appreciate what's here. And there's fuck ton to appreciate.

Top Bottom