• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am convinced that at Insomniac Games they have put the women of the studio in charge of modeling MJ, who probably have less experience.

Because he is simply something atrocious, not only compared to his fellow protagonists, any NPC enemy has a better finish, he is the worst main character in a Sony first party game by far.

Random NPC.
F9X-iEwX0AAsjic

MJ.
F9X-qG-W8AAOTBz

F9X-zmmWUAAwlNH

I have no words.

Yeah, the inconsistency in model variations is really obvious at times.

Miles's girlfriend also stands out with some really bad animation rigging in some missions.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Insane how god it looks even on PS5
It was always clear to me that the ps5 was more powerful and capable of pushing the level of fidelity that far exceeded games like Star Wars, dead space, ff16 and even Spider-Man. People dismissed ue5 tech demos as demos but I’m glad something like Alan wake comes along and proves to everyone that devs have simply been phoning in this generation.

Senua

Gold Member
I am convinced that at Insomniac Games they have put the women of the studio in charge of modeling MJ, who probably have less experience.

Because he is simply something atrocious, not only compared to his fellow protagonists, any NPC enemy has a better finish, he is the worst main character in a Sony first party game by far.

Random NPC.

F9X-qG-W8AAOTBz

F9X-zmmWUAAwlNH

I have no words.

chok4QH.gif

It was always clear to me that the ps5 was more powerful and capable of pushing the level of fidelity that far exceeded games like Star Wars, dead space, ff16 and even Spider-Man. People dismissed ue5 tech demos as demos but I’m glad something like Alan wake comes along and proves to everyone that devs have simply been phoning in this generation.
That’s what I’m saying. The UE5 reveal was running REAL TIME native 1440p/30fps locked on PlayStation 5

Did everyone forget that the matrix demo was actually playable after the intro? And even the intro was real time not pre rendered. The PS5 isn’t weak it just hasn’t been pushed. SM2 gets up to 70FPS unlocked. The PS5 is yawning running SM2. It’s bored. It’s not being pushed. These AAAA devs are getting shown up by geeks on YouTube and indie devs. It’s embarrassing

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
they have put the women of the studio in charge of modeling MJ, who probably have less experience.
Wtf, lol. You could just say "it's like they handed it to the interns" or something, why would they specifically choose women and why would they specifically be the amateurs with less experience in the studio just by their gender?

arkhamguy123 said:
Coding and programming is statistically speaking a male dominated industry.
Who said anything about coding and programming, lol. 3D artists are a whole different deal. Good job, ignoramus. Although there being more men doesn't mean the women that are there are more amateur in any way anyway.

Last edited:
Watch Dogs Legion falls flat on its ass when you examine the character models. It doesn't look much better than Watch Dogs 2, which was most achieved in replicating SF.

Neither Star Wars Outlaws or Avatar Frontiers impresses me. There's something painfully generic about the artstyles, and don't get me started about the gameplay. Just draining to look at.
Ubisoft games don't enchante their characters in cutscenes Sony does that's why their character looks good

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Random NPC.
F9X-iEwX0AAsjic

MJ.
F9X-qG-W8AAOTBz

F9X-zmmWUAAwlNH

I have no words.
That’s sexist dude. Women artists dominate the cg, movies and game industries. Naughty dogs lead artists were women. You are confusing programmers with artists. Even if the artist who designed her was female, it’s highly unlikely that she’s a rookie.

This is just a huge fuck up from top to bottom. The buck stops with the director who is male. It stops with the CEO who is male. I can promise you it has nothing to do with male or female. It is poor quality control. The fans game was rushed, it’s not just her, its Peter, miles, Norman etc.

Wtf, lol. You could just say "it's like they handed it to the interns" or something, why would they specifically choose women and why would they specifically be the amateurs with less experience in the studio just by their gender?
Coding and programming is statistically speaking a male dominated industry. The minority demo in a field is typically seen as more amateur. In a broad sense. Like say female construction workers are seen as less capable than male construction workers. Plus the gaming industry is guilty of diversity hiring let’s just say not the best talent and that skews to women

Whether or not this is right or justified or sexist is up to you.

Last edited:
That’s sexist dude. Women artists dominate the cg, movies and game industries. Naughty dogs lead artists were women. You are confusing programmers with artists. Even if the artist who designed her was female, it’s highly unlikely that she’s a rookie.

This is just a huge fuck up from top to bottom. The buck stops with the director who is male. It stops with the CEO who is male. I can promise you it has nothing to do with male or female. It is poor quality control. The fans game was rushed, it’s not just her, its Peter, miles, Norman etc.
Hey you called me a women the other day as a synonym for “irrational” and/or “being stupid” :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Musilla

Simply because in general they have been in the business for less time, and being a female character I think that "they got it", nothing to do with their gender.

It's simply an idea. I'm just desperately looking for an explanation for such an atrocity.

alloush

This is the most woke game ever made. If i listed all the woke things in bullet points, it would be around a 100 and I’m only 30% through the game. So yh of course they gave her a man’s ass. Women are not allowed to be feminine in woke societies.
Good thing I am currently in the Middle East then cuz they removed all the woke stuff from the ME version of Spidey:

Check out the adamsapple breakdown in another thread. I was mostly listening to the video to avoid spoilers but i recall him saying that while the difference is noticeable, it’s not huge and the ps5 version looks equally next Gen. And that path tracing doesnt look that much better than the console versions.
Another reason why I rip on people who build $3000 rigs to get minimal gains over consoles, which is what started the whole CP debacle last time around. I triggered the PC lot!

Last edited:

Musilla

That's true, I can't understand how someone gave the green light to this shit, I'm talking specifically about MJ, other characters and even the enemies have a good level, without reaching that of Forbidden West or other games.

SlimySnake

That's true, I can't understand how someone gave the green light to this shit, I'm talking specifically about MJ, other characters and even the enemies have a good level, without reaching that of Forbidden West or other games.
While I agree that Peter, Normand and Miles dont look as bad as MJ (Harry looks shockingly good in comparison) i think we have all seen how unfinished cutscenes look in general. they have poor lipsync, they have uneven hero lighting in cutscenes, unfinished facial animations, and really odd shading. like the game was rushed and their artists didnt have time to finish them up. i think it was Represent who said that ND wouldve never allowed cutscenes to ship in this state and i agree. for a story driven game like this, having unfinished facial animations is a big no no.

Anyway, i thought this scene yesterday looked absolutely fantastic. I took screenshot after screenshot it looked so good, but again, both MJ and Peter stood out as incomplete. MJ's hair rendering and animations were godly in this scene but her facial animations and skin shading left a lot to be desired.

F9VfKcfWMAAjEIe

F9VfJWdWQAADjCZ

F9VfKFoXQAAt5X0

alloush

While I agree that Peter, Normand and Miles dont look as bad as MJ (Harry looks shockingly good in comparison) i think we have all seen how unfinished cutscenes look in general. they have poor lipsync, they have uneven hero lighting in cutscenes, unfinished facial animations, and really odd shading. like the game was rushed and their artists didnt have time to finish them up. i think it was Represent who said that ND wouldve never allowed cutscenes to ship in this state and i agree. for a story driven game like this, having unfinished facial animations is a big no no.

Anyway, i thought this scene yesterday looked absolutely fantastic. I took screenshot after screenshot it looked so good, but again, both MJ and Peter stood out as incomplete. MJ's hair rendering and animations were godly in this scene but her facial animations and skin shading left a lot to be desired.

F9VfKcfWMAAjEIe

F9VfJWdWQAADjCZ

F9VfKFoXQAAt5X0
Slimy, I give you permission to share all the cool shit you took of Spidey which you were reluctant to share for spoilers :messenger_winking_tongue: . No idea when I’m getting the game so go ahead. I am psyched to see what’s up actually, unless someone else objects!

SlimySnake

Good think I am currently in the Middle East then cuz they removed all the woke stuff from the ME version of Spidey:

Doubt.gif

there is gay stuff which is whatever. i dont even consider that woke. it is what it is. its the constant callbacks that i find grating. like i said, i can list maybe 100 woke things already. its not just a couple of gay side quests. there is just so so much more. They would have to censor the entire game. lmao

Another reason why I rip on people who build $3000 rigs to get minimal gains over consoles, which is what started the whole CP debacle last time around. I triggered the PC lot!

as a person who built a $2000 rig to get minimal gains over consoles, im triggered. ok maybe not. i just wanted to play everything on ps5 at 60 fps so figured what the hell, i have the cash, lets spend it. thats what ive gotten so far this gen so i am content. i never expected PC games to have completely different visuals. Ive been building PCs since 2003 when i built my first for Half Life 2, and i know the best you can hope for is double the framerate and resolution and sometimes, you have to choose between resolution and framerate. Games like crysis, half life 2 and i guess cyberpunk with ray tracing are very rare and come maybe once a generation.

i think most pc gamers understand this. PC games are and have always been souped up console games with very rare exceptions.

alloush

They would have to censor the entire game. lmao
Ok that’s hilarious, laughed so much at this

as a person who built a $2000 rig to get minimal gains over consoles, im triggered. ok maybe not. i just wanted to play everything on ps5 at 60 fps so figured what the hell, i have the cash, lets spend it. thats what ive gotten so far this gen so i am content. i never expected PC games to have completely different visuals. Ive been building PCs since 2003 when i built my first for Half Life 2, and i know the best you can hope for is double the framerate and resolution and sometimes, you have to choose between resolution and framerate. Games like crysis, half life 2 and i guess cyberpunk with ray tracing are very rare and come maybe once a generation.

i think most pc gamers understand this. PC games are and have always been souped up console games with very rare exceptions.
We all played on PC at one point. I had one as well. Reason why I sometimes like to rip on them cus they start this shit, they are the master race after all and we aint nothing but peasants:messenger_winking_tongue:. I blame my buddy who constantly rips on consoles for why I am an asshole sometimes to my PC bros, I am a consequence of his actions. No harm no foul my PC brothers and sisters!

Waiting for your TLDR Alan Wake synopsis after you’ve gotten your hands on it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Insomniac better step those character models way up in Wolverine. Character models like that in a linear 3rd person action game will automatically make the game shit to me.

But we saw the models they made with Ratchet: Rift Apart.

They can and will do better than spider man 2 in Wolverine.

I honestly just think they know spider man 2 will sell regardless. So they rushed it out.

Hopefully they aren’t as confident with Wolverine

GymWolf

Gold Member
Baked lighting so PT can’t flex its muscles.

Good upgrade over consoles in general, from the sound of it:

- Console comparison with PC at max done.
- PC highest settings have better reflections, less grain, better reflections, better shadows, cascade etc. RT shadows etc are available on PC with the RT suite.
- Actual world lighting is not that different compared to console when PC is on path-tracing.
- "Console players aren't missing out on that much" compared to games like Cyberpunk.
- "Path traced PC version does look a lot better, but it doesn't embarrass the consoles"

adamsapple adamsapple
What was the last pc title that had a CLEAR advantage in textures details?

Why not using the power on pc to improve that shit aswell?

I get mad thinking that rdr2 console had lower than low pc settings but texture was the only thing in parity...fucking why?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I get mad thinking that rdr2 console had lower than low pc settings but texture was the only thing in parity...fucking why?

If I have to guess with RDR2, they designed all their textures around consoles and didn’t bother to upscale them for the PC release. Rockstar is not exactly known for putting in extra work for PC…

GymWolf

Gold Member

Norman was the the best looking of the bunch imo.

Him and henry were also the more expressive acting wise.

Peter had some moments aswell.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
If I have to guess with RDR2, they designed all their textures around consoles and didn’t bother to upscale them for the PC release. Rockstar is not exactly known for putting in extra work for PC…
It seems that nobody does that because the difference in texture is most of time minimal.

Fuck this shit.
That’s what happens when you dont lower the minimum requirements and tell people to upgrade their rigs or be left behind!
Isn't the game also out on series S?

PeteBull

There is no fuckin way that’s MJ’s actual in game body. No fuckin way. That’s boarderline self parody.

That’d be like your male lead in your game just so happens to look like Captain America before the super soldier serum in the movie. Just, “oh nothing to see here this is just our character design for this guy for no reason in particular”

here u can see all mj missions and even few cutscenes, obviously major spoilers there in 2nd half so absolutely dont watch those later fragments of vid if u didnt play game yet.
For comparision thats how mj looked in probably all of us favorite spiderman t he animated series from the 90s enough to watch first few seconds to know :p

Here something fun, amazing spiderman tv series intro back from 1977 not many ppl know about it so i figured might aswell link that short vid too;P

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I have finished SM2 and have over 500+pictures to analyse it. I gotta say that this game is one of the visually most inconsistent game i have ever played i think. From start to finish shit was looking trash and incredible at the same time. Some of the main characters where shockingly bad while some of them where very good. Also i praised Insomniacs texture work in MM and SM1 but gaddamn some textures in this look straight out ass. There where some scenes where i was like yeah this shit is def current gen worthy and there where scenes that looked worse than the PS4 version of SM1.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Nice thought but it just makes more sense to the average gafer that a writer somehow sneakily self inserted herself as the MJ model because that's exactly how things work (just as programmers and coders made the model according to someone else) 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

SlimySnake

the real life chick is actually somewhat attractive. MJ looks like an alien in the game.

I'm playing Miles Morales and a) it feels more different than 1 vs 2 simply because of season change and b) I want to be Miles' stepdad

LtrsQ5Q.jpg
First my friend and now you are thirsting over Miles' mom. and they said i was lowering my standards when i praised Spiderman 2 the other day :messenger_tears_of_joy: Shes like 50 son.

I have finished SM2 and have over 500+pictures to analyse it. I gotta say that this game is one of the visually most inconsistent game i have ever played i think. From start to finish shit was looking trash and incredible at the same time. Some of the main characters where shockingly bad while some of them where very good. Also i praised Insomniacs texture work in MM and SM1 but gaddamn some textures in this look straight out ass. There where some scenes where i was like yeah this shit is def current gen worthy and there where scenes that looked worse than the PS4 version of SM1.
its unfinished. the cutscenes give it away. they have the tech, they had the talent, but they just couldnt finish it in time so they just kinda shipped it in an almost ubisoft quality way. Its 'good enough'. MJ's hair looks gorgeous, her face? trash. Peter's face looks awful. the animation work of the actual spidey suit in cutscenes? Absolutely amazing. Legit cg quality. Lighting? stunning? textures and modeling? not trash, but straight up last gen.

Norman was the the best looking of the bunch imo.

Him and henry were also the more expressive acting wise.

Peter had some moments aswell.
Peter does look good in some of the later scenes. he just made a very bad first impression in the aunt may house scene with MJ.

But Norman looked way better in Miles. more cartoony but way better character model. here he looks all jumbled up. like they forgot to add some shaders to his skin.

This is him in SM1.

EJ2tCOPWwAASY8t

GymWolf

Gold Member
the real life chick is actually somewhat attractive. MJ looks like an alien in the game.

First my friend and now you are thirsting over Miles' mom. and they said i was lowering my standards when i praised Spiderman 2 the other day :messenger_tears_of_joy: Shes like 50 son.

its unfinished. the cutscenes give it away. they have the tech, they had the talent, but they just couldnt finish it in time so they just kinda shipped it in an almost ubisoft quality way. Its 'good enough'. MJ's hair looks gorgeous, her face? trash. Peter's face looks awful. the animation work of the actual spidey suit in cutscenes? Absolutely amazing. Legit cg quality. Lighting? stunning? textures and modeling? not trash, but straight up last gen.

Peter does look good in some of the later scenes. he just made a very bad first impression in the aunt may house scene with MJ.

But Norman looked way better in Miles. more cartoony but way better character model. here he looks all jumbled up. like they forgot to add some shaders to his skin.

This is him in SM1.

EJ2tCOPWwAASY8t
I was more talking about digital acting except for the norman bit, peter looks unimpressive for being a protagonist but sometimes he emote pretty well.

I don't think norman looks worse but i swear this fucking game has different quality models for different cutscenes so you probably only saw the worse model (or whatever graphical bug is) if you haven't finished the game yet.

SlimySnake

That’s what I’m saying. The UE5 reveal was running REAL TIME native 1440p/30fps locked on PlayStation 5

Did everyone forget that the matrix demo was actually playable after the intro? And even the intro was real time not pre rendered. The PS5 isn’t weak it just hasn’t been pushed. SM2 gets up to 70FPS unlocked. The PS5 is yawning running SM2. It’s bored. It’s not being pushed. These AAAA devs are getting shown up by geeks on YouTube and indie devs. It’s embarrassing
People have been telling me that the matrix demo was not a real thing for 2 years now. They dont care what i say about it being playable or even having actual gameplay shootouts. people are silly.

The only thing i agree with is the talent gap. I dont remember which one of you said this, but someone said that this demo was made by hollywood guys and the talent disparity is mostly why we havent gotten up there yet.
Baked lighting so PT can’t flex its muscles.
I think you mean static time of day? PT cant be baked.

But yes, I think i said this just a couple of days ago. Because the time of day is static, the consoles will get the same high quality GI that Insomniac said took 4 days to 'bake' , and thus the difference will be minimal. PT mostly only shines during transitions where it handles those time of day changes more gracefully since thats not something devs can bake. I believe horizon has 12 bakes and when they switch between those time of days, the difference is jarring.

This is why i dont think devs need to add RTGI or Path tracing to every game. RT reflections? sure. but PT truly only shines in games with dynamic lighting and even then a software based solution like Lumen can handle it just fine.

Turk1993

I was more talking about digital acting except for the norman bit, peter looks unimpressive for being a protagonist but sometimes he emote pretty well.

I don't think norman looks worse but i swear this fucking game has different quality models for different cutscenes so you probably only saw the worse model (or whatever graphical bug is) if you haven't finished the game yet.
Yup was gonna post this. MJ looks very good in some scenes and trash in others. Same for peter and the others. Its so inconsistent that i couldn't decide if the charachter models where good or bad.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yup was gonna post this. MJ looks very good in some scenes and trash in others. Same for peter and the others. Its so inconsistent that i couldn't decide if the charachter models where good or bad.
Well...even at their best they are still good at the very very best, ds on ps4 massacre this thing, let alone crossgen and other nextgen games.
I don't think AW2 has better models than many other games but it also destroy sp2.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Good question, RDR2 has some pretty shoddy looking texture work on character models. But they have sliders for everything else. literally every single thing you can think of. i think there are like 50 settings in the game. My guess is that the game was developed on PS4 and they tailored those assets to the console version. I think RDR1 was developed the same way. thats why it was famously never ported to PC because it was built on console devkits. Rockstar is different from other studios who develop on PC and then port it down.

I think with nanite, the whole texture problem goes away. devs can bring in their highest quality assets and the engine adjusts it based on the distance from the player. Did Remnant 2 or Lords of the Fallen have texture settings on PC? is this something devs can even control?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Good question, RDR2 has some pretty shoddy looking texture work on character models. But they have sliders for everything else. literally every single thing you can think of. i think there are like 50 settings in the game. My guess is that the game was developed on PS4 and they tailored those assets to the console version. I think RDR1 was developed the same way. thats why it was famously never ported to PC because it was built on console devkits. Rockstar is different from other studios who develop on PC and then port it down.

I think with nanite, the whole texture problem goes away. devs can bring in their highest quality assets and the engine adjusts it based on the distance from the player. Did Remnant 2 or Lords of the Fallen have texture settings on PC? is this something devs can even control?
But this is not the problem here, even if i see the best lod for texture 50 km away from me, if the best lod is still a shit quality texture you don't solve jack shit.

I need super high res textures in my games everywhere i look, it's almost 2024 and i still dread at every rock or wood or flat ground textures with no tesselation in every fucking videogame.

Turk1993

GymWolf GymWolf SlimySnake SlimySnake Did you guys finish the game already? Because i want to post something "in spoiler tags ofcourse" to discuss the character models and some other things. But don't want to spoil anything if you still not have finished it.

Last edited:
People have been telling me that the matrix demo was not a real thing for 2 years now. They dont care what i say about it being playable or even having actual gameplay shootouts. people are silly.

The only thing i agree with is the talent gap. I dont remember which one of you said this, but someone said that this demo was made by hollywood guys and the talent disparity is mostly why we havent gotten up there yet.

I think you mean static time of day? PT cant be baked.

But yes, I think i said this just a couple of days ago. Because the time of day is static, the consoles will get the same high quality GI that Insomniac said took 4 days to 'bake' , and thus the difference will be minimal. PT mostly only shines during transitions where it handles those time of day changes more gracefully since thats not something devs can bake. I believe horizon has 12 bakes and when they switch between those time of days, the difference is jarring.

This is why i dont think devs need to add RTGI or Path tracing to every game. RT reflections? sure. but PT truly only shines in games with dynamic lighting and even then a software based solution like Lumen can handle it just fine.
That was me who said that. Game industry in present day seems to be goofballs and diversity hires

setoman

smudgey and aliased? I can barely see any reflections for all the bloody noise. It actually looks like it's a bad job of making some kinda of floating polluted effect on dirty water.

ok i gotta admit. This is the first true next gen game. unfortunately the lack of environment variety and interesting lighting art is putting a ceiling on it. I wish they did more different env in the light. The tech is clearly capable of it.

The cloth tech looks so real. The hair...etc

wrong.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

But this is not the problem here, even if i see the best lod for texture 50 km away from me, if the best lod is still a shit quality texture you don't solve jack shit.

I need super high res textures in my games everywhere i look, it's almost 2024 and i still dread at every rock or wood or flat ground textures with no tesselation in every fucking videogame.
yeah, thats why i asked if nanite solves this problem or if the UE5 games have different texture settings like RE2 and RE4 do on PC. I am honestly not sure because the UE5 demos, including the valley of the ancient demo has insanely high textures/assets whatever you want to call them. But i dont know how nanite is going to handle it. i was under the impression that nanite gracefully handles LODs so devs dont have to worry about it, but also devs can draw or import the highest quality pictures and then import that entire object into UE5 without downgrading it. Thus preserving the original authored assets.

But if UE5 games are still showing shitty textures you saw in the umbrel realm of Lords of the Fallen then I honestly dont know what nanite is good for.

Coding and programming is statistically speaking a male dominated industry. The minority demo in a field is typically seen as more amateur. In a broad sense. Like say female construction workers are seen as less capable than male construction workers. Plus the gaming industry is guilty of diversity hiring let’s just say not the best talent and that skews to women

Whether or not this is right or justified or sexist is up to you.
yeah, but a programmer didnt design her character model. programmers coded the engine, added ray tracing support, better tech for hair rendering, solved programming issues for level designers. they did not sit there modeling her face. thats the artist's job and the vast majority of art majors are female.

its possible that the diversity hiring led to them hire shitty artists, and its possible that the woke mind virus made them make her ugly. the butt thing is a big yikes for me, but she did not look this bad during the trailers where they probably touched her up to make sure she looked the best. i think the reason why she looks so bad is because they didnt spend enough time polishing the cutscenes. ND is just as woke but Abby despite looking like a man never looked this bad in cutscenes.

She looked fine in these gifs.

spiderman-2-yuri-lowenthal.gif
spiderman-2-yuri-lowenthal.gif

Last edited:

PeteBull

Yeah, its the shadows for sure. This is what she looks like in the game. its clear that the PS4 character model has proper shading and shadows.

b6393708d9c8309f39894c9bac4d94156171dc4f.gif
4ef852b12aa8a3126fc83fedd5a4a1b16ba51cb2.gifv

tumblr_oyyv18v8gD1r3i2gwo1_540.gif
59f2473d2953533749a03a276d4b35231b9eac22.gif

Something went horribly wrong with this game.
Its not shadows/lighting/angles, its woke agenda, bro, and unfortunately for us it will only gonna get worse, they made pete look like a teen, yet his love interest look older from miles mom thats supposedly should be 50yo? lol
There is a reason mj looks like martha kent from smallvile- they decided on a look thats unfuckable basically :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom