• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, its the shadows for sure. This is what she looks like in the game. its clear that the PS4 character model has proper shading and shadows.

b6393708d9c8309f39894c9bac4d94156171dc4f.gif
4ef852b12aa8a3126fc83fedd5a4a1b16ba51cb2.gifv

tumblr_oyyv18v8gD1r3i2gwo1_540.gif
59f2473d2953533749a03a276d4b35231b9eac22.gif

Something went horribly wrong with this game.
Static stare eyes in top right gif.
Square jaw too... idk what's going on. It just looks bad but it's hard to say why. Top left is not so bad but she just looks aged

Yup was gonna post this. MJ looks very good in some scenes and trash in others. Same for peter and the others. Its so inconsistent that i couldn't decide if the charachter models where good or bad.
It seems to me the lighting engine is the problem it generally makes things look flat most of time, what do you think?

alloush

Wow, WTF? Has anyone actually called Insomniac out about this? I tried to ask a dev on ERA, but got banned for a week because….reasons. I wasn’t even rude or aggressive.
This is hilarious, I’m laughing so hard at this, imagine getting banned for asking devs questions .. era is something else!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wow, WTF? Has anyone actually called Insomniac out about this? I tried to ask a dev on ERA, but got banned for a week because….reasons. I wasn’t even rude or aggressive.
Listen. The game is very woke friendly so any criticism is not gonna fly there lol

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
SUPER AMAZING HEAVY SPOILERS!

Those scenes looked incredible in motion on my HDR OLED, the way that everything was framed was just perfect. Those are one of the best scenes in this game.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026194610.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026192341.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026194355.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026195004.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026200316.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023225626.png

GymWolf GymWolf What do you think about those scenes?

Lethal01

Its not shadows/lighting/angles, its woke agenda, bro, and unfortunately for us it will only gonna get worse, they made pete look like a teen, yet his love interest look older from miles mom thats supposedly should be 50yo? lol
There is a reason mj looks like martha kent from smallvile- they decided on a look thats unfuckable basically :)

I think he is talking about how she is rendered not how much you want to bang her. woke agenda has nothing to do with a character having innacurate lighting.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Alan wake looks good, really benefits from being smaller scale and being dark enough to hide tons of rendering issues.

Okay, what did you actually say then.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I think he is talking about how she is rendered not how much you want to bang her. woke agenda has nothing to do with a character having innacurate lighting.
Dont u think its super weird mj, historically cheeky and sexy af babe in her 20s, looks 50yo+ and has specific old lady look that make her less attractive than even miles morales mother? And its not like MJ didnt look great before, she did in spiderman1 as u could see in snake's gif comparision, from same dev studio, just something happened over those few years(likely prerogative from top told them to do stuff) to make her look 2x older that she should be and pretend nothing happened.
Those woke ppl have all kinds of weird agendas, one of them is showing/proving women in their 40s/50s are attractive enough to have relationships with young attractive men(not one night stands, longterm relationships), to me making mj look 2x older and uglier is sing of such nasty and untrue agenda.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I am convinced that at Insomniac Games they have put the women of the studio in charge of modeling MJ, who probably have less experience.

Because he is simply something atrocious, not only compared to his fellow protagonists, any NPC enemy has a better finish, he is the worst main character in a Sony first party game by far.

Random NPC.
F9X-iEwX0AAsjic

MJ.
F9X-qG-W8AAOTBz

F9X-zmmWUAAwlNH

I have no words.
Remember the explicit sex scene from God of War 3? Female developers created that sequence, so I doubt that we have a case of a studio hiring female devs and them “ugly-ing” up the female characters. That wouldn’t make sense, and is a little sexist. Insomniac having Mary Jane not be an absolute knock out like she usually is was a clear artistic choice, though she looked significantly better in SM1 than the sequel.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
yeah, thats why i asked if nanite solves this problem or if the UE5 games have different texture settings like RE2 and RE4 do on PC. I am honestly not sure because the UE5 demos, including the valley of the ancient demo has insanely high textures/assets whatever you want to call them. But i dont know how nanite is going to handle it. i was under the impression that nanite gracefully handles LODs so devs dont have to worry about it, but also devs can draw or import the highest quality pictures and then import that entire object into UE5 without downgrading it. Thus preserving the original authored assets.

But if UE5 games are still showing shitty textures you saw in the umbrel realm of Lords of the Fallen then I honestly dont know what nanite is good for.

yeah, but a programmer didnt design her character model. programmers coded the engine, added ray tracing support, better tech for hair rendering, solved programming issues for level designers. they did not sit there modeling her face. thats the artist's job and the vast majority of art majors are female.

its possible that the diversity hiring led to them hire shitty artists, and its possible that the woke mind virus made them make her ugly. the butt thing is a big yikes for me, but she did not look this bad during the trailers where they probably touched her up to make sure she looked the best. i think the reason why she looks so bad is because they didnt spend enough time polishing the cutscenes. ND is just as woke but Abby despite looking like a man never looked this bad in cutscenes.

She looked fine in these gifs.

spiderman-2-yuri-lowenthal.gif
This section looked really good in the game too. No BS here. It’s like they knew to show that section specifically in the trailer
Still not at TLOU 2 levels. It’s like ND lapped the entire industry with that game, twice. damn near 4 years later and even top tier games are playing catch up to TLOU2 motion capture/facial animations. What an achievement that game was

Last edited:

PeteBull

Remember the explicit sex scene from God of War 3? Female developers created that sequence, so I doubt that we have a case of a studio hiring female devs and them “ugly-ing” up the female characters. That wouldn’t make sense.
Making women ugly/not sexy is known emo of most western dev studios, there are many examples on the net, its especially prevalent in recent years, both sony and ms studios are at fault there.

To not look far, https://boundingintocomics.com/2021...-and-poor-art-direction-of-upcoming-remaster/

Last edited:

Turk1993

It seems to me the lighting engine is the problem it generally makes things look flat most of time, what do you think?
Its not only the lighting, the game has some serious problems with assets and detail. There are some levels where i was like wtf is this shit, it looks soo bad. The level of detail is soo inconsistent, feels like most levels are not even finished. The worst part is there some major moments where you take the controll after the cutscene. You would expect at those moment to be the best looking parts like UC4 and TLOU2 where the they frame everything perfect and give you the controll. But nope its the shittest looking part in this game. The transition from cutscene to gameplay always has that wow factor but in this game its the opposite.

Some none spoiler gameplay shots of that problem (All fidelity 120hz mode)
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024000557.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025204840.png

Here it looks alot worse but its all spoilers so be warned.
SPOILERS!SPOILERS!SPOILERS!SPOILERS!
SPOILERS!
Just look at those, those are all major moments where you get the controll back after the cutscene.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025223453.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025213058.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025234304.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026191816.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025215055.png

even in cutscene it looks horrible sometimes
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026010659.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026192243.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
SUPER AMAZING HEAVY SPOILERS!

Those scenes looked incredible in motion on my HDR OLED, the way that everything was framed was just perfect. Those are one of the best scenes in this game.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026194610.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026192341.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026194355.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026195004.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026200316.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023225626.png

GymWolf GymWolf What do you think about those scenes?
For me it was kinda ruined by the shit texture on venom (the wings were good) and how ugly the rendering for the black goo was all around the location.

Of course the cutscene was cool AF.

And you confirmed what i said with your pic, norman is the best model of the bunch when they use the best version.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its not only the lighting, the game has some serious problems with assets and detail. There are some levels where i was like wtf is this shit, it looks soo bad. The level of detail is soo inconsistent, feels like most levels are not even finished. The worst part is there some major moments where you take the controll after the cutscene. You would expect at those moment to be the best looking parts like UC4 and TLOU2 where the they frame everything perfect and give you the controll. But nope its the shittest looking part in this game. The transition from cutscene to gameplay always has that wow factor but in this game its the opposite.

SPOILERS!
Just look at those, those are all major moments where you get the controll back after the cutscene.

This is EXACTLY what bothered me for the entire game, i'm sorry but i'm NEVER gonna be impressed by anything in this game when at any given fucking moment you have those shitty textures all around, i'm sorry, my primitive brain is not gonna notice the bump in lights fidelity when what is under the lights looks like that, and those are not even the worse moments.

And it's even worse outside of photomode because the game iq is not pristine, at least in 40hz locked fidelity mode, the second best graphical mode out of 6, if i'm not free to judge the game on that mode, than all the discussions about insomniac being these wizards and giving you a lot of options goes down into the toilette.
And btw, i tried fidelity 30fps locked and it still didnt' looked much better, the game has some strange oversharpening going on or whatever it is that ruin the iq, and i have sharpness at 0 in my oled, so i usually have a softer image than some people.

Tldr it was an incredible and nextgen experience.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is EXACTLY what bothered me for the entire game, i'm sorry but i'm NEVER gonna be impressed by anything in this game when at any given fucking moment you have those shitty textures all around, i'm sorry, my primitive brain is not gonna notice the bump in lights fidelity when what is under the lights looks like that, and those are not even the worse moments.

And it's even worse outside of photomode because the game iq is not pristine, at least in 40hz locked fidelity mode, the second best graphical mode out of 6, if i'm not free to judge the game on that mode, than all the discussions about insomniac being these wizards and giving you a lot of options goes down into the toilette.
And btw, i tried fidelity 30fps locked and it still didnt' looked much better, the game has some strange oversharpening going on or whatever it is that ruin the iq, and i have sharpness at 0 in my oled, so i usually have a softer image than some people.

First Half GIF

Turk1993

Man i tried the 30fps mode first and it felt like it was stuttering. The controlls where also so slow that i was like nope. And im a guy that can play 30fps games on console without a problem. I played UC4, TLOU2, Driveclub, SM:MM and tons of other games at 30fps and never had this problem. For whatever reason this games 30fps mode doesn't feel solid at all (for a 30fps game ofcourse). 40fps mode is much much better and the difference is minimal. I compared them both and you need to look at still images back and forth to notice the small increase in sharpness.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Man i tried the 30fps mode first and it felt like it was stuttering. The controlls where also so slow that i was like nope. And im a guy that can play 30fps games on console without a problem. I played UC4, TLOU2, Driveclub, SM:MM and tons of other games at 30fps and never had this problem. For whatever reason this games 30fps mode doesn't feel solid at all (for a 30fps game ofcourse). 40fps mode is much much better and the difference is minimal. I compared them both and you need to look at still images back and forth to notice the small increase in sharpness.
Insomniac does very good 30fps, if you play the game only in that mode without switching it feels pretty good.

The problems for me were 2:

this game is not a normal fast paced game, between traversal and combat it's super fast paced so if those 30 fps were in any other game, it would be ok, but NOT IN THIS ONE, 40 is really the bare minimum.

the jump between 30 and 40 was not as terrible resolution wise, and when i accepted the fact that the overall asset quality was ass (pun intended) on any graphical mode, i just decided it wasn't worth losing 10 frames to see more ass assets.

perf mode looked like straight trash, very low res feeling.

Last edited:

SPOILERS!

it seems Insomniac are being spread too thin, something had to give i suppose. I'm sure they'll fix most of the issues later on though, they have a great record of updating their games.

alloush

Weird would be not to call out devs on making mj look 2x older/uglier vs first spiderman game, some1 spits u in the face u got right to not pretend its raining xD
There is a difference between calling devs out on MJ’s looks and beating off to videogame characters my man. But you do you :messenger_squinting_tongue: (I joke)

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not even joking, ragnarock may have less bombastic moments, even worse\more stylized models (not sure about this one, some looks bad some looks kinda good), lower highs (but not as low lows), but in his not impressive crossgeniness(tm) it bothered me less than sp2 because at least i knew from the previous games that santa monica wasn't good with human models and faces except kratos and the game was crossgen and made by the b team without corey.

But sp1 was a pretty impressive piece of tech so i was expecting much more from sp2.

Also i vastly prefer the art design of ragnarock for pretty much everything.

Last edited:

Turk1993

it seems Insomniac are being spread too thin, something had to give i suppose. I'm sure they'll fix most of the issues later on though, they have a great record of updating their games.
Im not sure with this one, its not just one level or a bug. There are multiple levels/scenes that have those issues. And they are working on Wolverine now so i don't think they have the time to fix this.

yeah, thats why i asked if nanite solves this problem or if the UE5 games have different texture settings like RE2 and RE4 do on PC. I am honestly not sure because the UE5 demos, including the valley of the ancient demo has insanely high textures/assets whatever you want to call them. But i dont know how nanite is going to handle it. i was under the impression that nanite gracefully handles LODs so devs dont have to worry about it, but also devs can draw or import the highest quality pictures and then import that entire object into UE5 without downgrading it. Thus preserving the original authored assets.

But if UE5 games are still showing shitty textures you saw in the umbrel realm of Lords of the Fallen then I honestly dont know what nanite is good for.

yeah, but a programmer didnt design her character model. programmers coded the engine, added ray tracing support, better tech for hair rendering, solved programming issues for level designers. they did not sit there modeling her face. thats the artist's job and the vast majority of art majors are female.

its possible that the diversity hiring led to them hire shitty artists, and its possible that the woke mind virus made them make her ugly. the butt thing is a big yikes for me, but she did not look this bad during the trailers where they probably touched her up to make sure she looked the best. i think the reason why she looks so bad is because they didnt spend enough time polishing the cutscenes. ND is just as woke but Abby despite looking like a man never looked this bad in cutscenes.

Well it’s a facial scan. So a programmer/coder is responsible for MJs 3D rendering in game.

But yeah you’re right on all the other points

Last edited:

Turk1993

I'm not even joking, ragnarock may have less bombastic moments, even worse\more stylized models (not sure about this one, some looks bad some looks kinda good), lower highs (but not as low lows), but in his not impressive crossgeniness(tm) it bothered me less than sp2 because at least i knew from the previous games that santa monica wasn't good with human models and faces except kratos and the game was crossgen and made by the b team without corey.

But sp1 was a pretty impressive piece of tech so i was expecting much more from sp2.
It was also more consistent and runs at a higher res and fps than SM2. But just like you im also wondering how did they make SM1 on PS4 looking like that and messed up soo much SM2 on PS5 with all that power (compared to ps4 ofcourse). Also SM1 remaster and MM had better quality faces on some of the characters.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604050503.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604052018.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-20220206031520.png

GymWolf

Gold Member

Dude the only things i know that i learned here on gaf is that nanite is not for how the textures look, just better lod at any distance (but it doesn''t actually improve the best lod available, it just show it at any distance) and infinite use of polygons for better geometry like more rounded surfaces and more detailed super micro details like in the sculptures in the ue5 mountain demo or the reveal video of wu kong with those incredible statues.

Good textures are made by good artists or by scan system like that quixel shit that i love, and the 3d effect is achieved with tesselation and some other stuff probably.

Another problem seems to be that the more detailed the texture are, the less interaction you can have with them apparently, like quixel is untouchable from what i saw.

This is all my repertoire of knowledge about texture quality (and it's probably half wrong because i have shit memory for this stuff:lollipop_squinting:)

P.s. oh oh and you told me that we need a buckload of vram to have high res textures everywhere.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It was also more consistent and runs at a higher res and fps than SM2. But just like you im also wondering how did they make SM1 on PS4 looking like that and messed up soo much SM2 on PS5 with all that power (compared to ps4 ofcourse). Also SM1 remaster and MM had better quality faces on some of the characters.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604050503.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230604052018.png

Yeah ragnarock was definitely more consistent.

Dude i swear they fucked up even some clothes\dress materials that they were so good at like you see in the miles pic, like the models they were not even and maybe the overall quality was slightly worse overall, maybe because the IQ wasn't as good.

I'm gonna go overboard and say that at his best, insomniac make the best materials for most type of clothes, for example i don't like how ND render some clothes, i was not impressed with that in tlou2.

There is just something wrong with this

maxresdefault.jpg

The-Last-Of-Us-Part-II-Grey-Ellie-Grey-Shirt.jpg

I can't find 4k pics damn.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Dude i swear they fucked up even some clothes\dress materials that they were so good at like you see in the miles pic, like the models they were not even and maybe the overall quality was slightly worse overall, maybe because the IQ wasn't as good.

I'm gonna go overboard and say that at his best, insomniac make the best materials for most type of clothes, for example i don't like how ND render some clothes, i was not impressed with that in tlou2.

There is just something wrong with this

maxresdefault.jpg
Exactly! The clothes and faces look worse on some models for some weird reason. It not the resolution thats causing this, it the texture quality and the shaders.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023211525.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024214702.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024230229.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025000637.png

vs

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526200725.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230602012651.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230603031046.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude when my fucking bank move his ass with the money transfer to my paypal account, you get a month of gold for these last 2 pages.

I'm lazy with pics so having someone that traduce my thoughts into actual pics is invaluable :lollipop_squinting:

A pic of me with a sexy g string if you stop using photomode and start using your phone to take pics so we also get rid of bullshit iq improvements:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

and even the phone soften the img a little hiding jaggies and shit.

( i can understand if the second offer is not as appealing and you want to use photomode, it's your loss btw :lollipop_squinting: )

Last edited:

Turk1993

A pic of me with a sexy g string if you stop using photomode and start using your phone to take pics so we also get rid of bullshit iq improvements:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

and even the phone soften the img a little hiding jaggies and shit.

( i can understand if the second offer is not as appealing and you want to use photomode, it's your loss btw :lollipop_squinting: )
abe1a658-b523-4208-8bc8-81b5c3deb1b9_text.gif

Dunker99

Okay, what did you actually say then.
I tagged one of the resident Insomniac devs into a post and asked him if he could help explain the technical reasons why some aspects of SM2’s graphics seemed worse than previous entries (character models/faces, shimmering in performance mode etc). Another poster then attacked me saying I should stop being negative and shaming devs etc, to which I responded “It was just a question. Deal with it”. Which earned me a week’s ban.

To be honest, I probably won’t return to ERA. I prefer this place.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I tagged one of the resident Insomniac devs into a post and asked him if he could help explain the technical reasons why some aspects of SM2’s graphics seemed worse than previous entries (character models/faces, shimmering in performance mode etc). Another poster then attacked me saying I should stop being negative and shaming devs etc, to which I responded “It was just a question. Deal with it”. Which earned me a week’s ban.

To be honest, I probably won’t return to ERA. I prefer this place.
We should use your account for a spectacular suicide post, you have gold in your hands son.

I would love to fucking roast j stevenson on reeee.

Even if he doens't respond, you can be sure as hell he is gonna read the post and cry like the little soy boy that he is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Turk1993

Then just the gold
You don't need to bruh, its good. Having proper discussions about visuals is why im here, i love this shit.

Also to make sure you don't post that G string photo by accident i will post a photomode picture lol.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023212908.png

shamoomoo

Exactly! The clothes and faces look worse on some models for some weird reason. It not the resolution thats causing this, it the texture quality and the shaders.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023211525.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024214702.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024230229.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025000637.png

vs

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526200725.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230602012651.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230603031046.png

Are these pics from cutscenes? Because Mile's looks the same,the difference appears to be lighting conditions. In Spider-Man 2, Mile's has a beauty mark or mole not present in the previous game and if you look at his nose closely, you'll notice the same bumpy texture.

Top Bottom