• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

However good looking that GTA6 trailer is, the matrix demo is still above. I know it's not a game yada yada but it has that photorealistic look that GTA doesn't have.

Matrix Demo also looks much much uglier - there's a cost to having things look uber realistic, as reality itself is not as pretty. That kind of realism can easily ruin a game's art style, especially something like GTA 6 set in a warm and saturated Miami.

With that level of detail and density and you want high quality SSS on all NPC's on current generation console hardware? I think you have to be somewhat realistic here. Also you can see the wind blow and the affects most if not all NPC's hair, and their hair sway right slightly.
Gymwolf said it looked prerendered which I disagreed strongly with. Like I said initially, to me it looks like a game that started out as a ps4 game. In fact, I believe the game started development in 2014, about 6 years before the ps5 released. There's nothing wrong with that at all but it's biggest strong point is density, world simulation and attention to detail. In terms of pushing the best graphics, it's really not even close.

kMb48mj.png
I deadass scrolled past this post thinking it was the GTA trailer until I had to scroll back.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
After the leaks, is the thread confident that rockstar will beat a c tier developer like Teyon in terms of graphics fidelity? i have no doubt Rockstar will beat them on production values, cinematography and sheer scale, but are we expecting typical gta6 streets to look like this? 2 more days. who wants to bet?

URG9o4x.gif

li1meRd.gif

8X8fLDK.gif
SiLNk.png

I think its safe to say, we got it, in a massively open world game too.

Your mistake is in thinking GTA would go photorealistic when Rockstar has always had an exaggerated slightly cartoonish art style for characters
No, I didn't expect it to be photorealistic at all. The graphics are fine and I pleased with them for the type of game that's being made. I'm just not wowed by it nor do i think it's a significant step up from what's already available.

Mobilemofo

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the consoles won't look this nice. It's a trailer. Will look similar, but unless they are using some sort of streaming background tech from a server, we aren't getting this level of fluidity and visuals. How many times have we been burnt by trailers? Has nobody learnt anything..😄

Senua

Gold Member
No, I didn't expect it to be photorealistic at all. The graphics are fine and I pleased with them for the type of game that's being made. I'm just not wowed by it nor do i think it's a significant step up from what's already available.
homer simpson no fun GIF

How many times have we been burnt by trailers? Has nobody learnt anything..😄
And when have Rockstar done this exactly?

Last edited:

sinnergy

However good looking that GTA6 trailer is, the matrix demo is still above. I know it's not a game yada yada but it has that photorealistic look that GTA doesn't have.
It’s a small concrete city , with bad looking water and NPCs.. it looks great mind you . But Rockstar just showed what next gen means in a real open world . I love the matrix demo , but they outdid it, easily.

sinnergy

It doesn't look pre-rendered to me at all. People are walking but no real time sand deformation? Girl with sunglasses is walking but no physics on necklace? Mr muscle man is jogging but he looks like a plastic model? In fact the skin shaders are pretty wrong. There's no translucency. They're on the beach yet there's absolutely no wind? Umbrellas are pretty static. The building geometry is pretty basic, even games AA games like robocop shit on it from a great height. I've watched the trailer several times and the only impressive parts are the density and simulation. From what I've seen, if this were to release right now, it can't even crack the list of top 5 best looking games.

Edit: Here's an image of a crowded beach in Miami. Noticed how all the people haven't been baptized by a priest in oil. Look at the skin, look at the sand, then compare that to the game. Not even close.
kMb48mj.png
Robocop is not even on the same scale , imagine what Rockstar can do with a corridor shooter 🤣

Robocop is not even on the same scale , imagine what Rockstar can do with a corridor shooter 🤣
It doesn't matter that Robocop is not on the same scale as it's underlying technology is far superior than anything Rockstar has cooked up in this trailer. Nanite allows for a greater scale at a higher fidelity. It's both superior in micro and macro detail. I'm not even a fan of UE5 but to deny that it produces superior results to what is seen in this trailer is something else.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They will use every trick in the book imo , a lumen like system and maybe even a mesh shader or nanite system . They had 10 years.
Did anyone spot ray traced reflections or ray traced gi? there was some talk of it in the main thread but not sure if we have had any more evidence.

I think they spent ten years working on the NPC scripting and simulations. its madness.

SlimySnake

SiLNk.png

I think its safe to say, we got it, in a massively open world game too.
Hard to compare because of the art style, but its close.

I think its clear that they had to make sacrifices to get this level of NPC simulation and thats probably why we are not getting Matrix quality visuals. This leaves a door open to other devs who might produce more photorealistic visuals at the VGA, but if its more Avatar and Star Wars outlaws quality stuff then they are fucked. Rockstar has raised the bar.

sinnergy

It doesn't matter that Robocop is not on the same scale as it's underlying technology is far superior than anything Rockstar has cooked up in this trailer. Nanite allows for a greater scale at a higher fidelity. It's both superior in micro and macro detail. I'm not even a fan of UE5 but to deny that it produces superior results to what is seen in this trailer is something else.
To deny what Rockstar has produced at this scale is something else .. show me UE5 games that are upcoming that do all this stuff at ones , including the hair physics, water, npc, moving objects, rt. And I am a fan of UE5, I even use it. (Just in my spare time) while the tech is there with UE5 the games don’t produce the same quality at the scale Rockstar does.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Hard to compare because of the art style, but its close.

I think its clear that they had to make sacrifices to get this level of NPC simulation and thats probably why we are not getting Matrix quality visuals. This leaves a door open to other devs who might produce more photorealistic visuals at the VGA, but if its more Avatar and Star Wars outlaws quality stuff then they are fucked. Rockstar has raised the bar.
We could have better looking games by (early?) 2025, BUT, GTA VI will top them in everything else beyond graphic fidelity, as the same was with 4 and 5. in 2009 we had Gears of War 2, MGS4, Assasins Creed 2, all of them looked better than GTAIV.

To deny what Rockstar has produced at this scale is something else .. show me UE5 games that are upcoming that do all this stuff at ones , including the hair physics, water, npc, moving objects, rt. And I am a fan of UE5, I even use it. (Just in my spare time) while the tech is there with UE5 the games don’t produce the same quality at the scale Rockstar does.
Huh, most games have the features listed in bold. Nobody is denying the scale and I gave them props for the scale. This a conversation about graphics and I don't think the graphics on show are impressive. They're fine and thats ok. I don't play rockstar games for the graphics.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It doesn't look pre-rendered to me at all. People are walking but no real time sand deformation? Girl with sunglasses is walking but no physics on necklace? Mr muscle man is jogging but he looks like a plastic model? In fact the skin shaders are pretty wrong. There's no translucency. They're on the beach yet there's absolutely no wind? Umbrellas are pretty static. The building geometry is pretty basic, even games AA games like robocop shit on it from a great height. I've watched the trailer several times and the only impressive parts are the density and simulation. From what I've seen, if this were to release right now, it can't even crack the list of top 5 best looking games.

Edit: Here's an image of a crowded beach in Miami. Noticed how all the people haven't been baptized by a priest in oil. Look at the skin, look at the sand, then compare that to the game. Not even close.
kMb48mj.png
We need ps8 for that my dude, it is still way more than what other open world game do with their npcs.

Also, i didn't said photorealistic, it would be fool of me to say that when it clearly still look like a videogame, but that scene had people gasping at loud, and for a good reason.

Last edited:

sinnergy

We need ps8 for that my dude, it is still way more than what other open world game do with their npcs.

Also, i didn't said photorealistic, it would be fool of me to say that when it clearly still look like a videogame.
I didn’t even think PS8 will cut it 🤣 but it is better to let some dream.

alloush

Why is this impressive? The good thing here is that the art direction is great with skin tones being on point but this is very cross-gen looking. There's are less than 100 characters rendered on screen, I counted. I'm going to catch some flack for this but this is a souped up Uncharted 4 at a larger scale in terms of graphics. I don't think it's next gen but that's just me. It looks like a game that started development for PS4 with the intention on being released on ps4 then it got souped up.
Bro is flabbergasted!

alloush

What I love about GTA is Rockstar’s take on our (American) stereotypical society. They aint afraid to show it how it is, aint afraid to show the flaws in our society, but they do so with a satirical hint. But if you ask anyone outside the US to paint a picture of how they think the US looks like it will certainly be something that looks and feels like GTA, and I honestly love it!

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Did anyone spot ray traced reflections or ray traced gi? there was some talk of it in the main thread but not sure if we have had any more evidence.

I think they spent ten years working on the NPC scripting and simulations. its madness.

Lack of RT reflections was apparent but I don't care (and I love RT reflections). This is a great example of a developer making the right decisions when prioritizing certain visual features over others. Perhaps RT reflections are in play for PS5 Pro.

sinnergy

Lack of RT reflections was apparent but I don't care (and I love RT reflections). This is a great example of a developer making the right decisions when prioritizing certain visual features over others. Perhaps RT reflections are in play for PS5 Pro.
There seem to be use of RT on specific surfaces. Console hardware is just not capable at this scale on everything, running all game logic we are seeing here . Their best bet is to use some kind of lumen system that also resolves reflections. But their GI system looks very solid .

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What I love about GTA is Rockstar’s take on our (American) stereotypical society. They aint afraid to show it how it is, aint afraid to show the flaws in our society, but they do so with a satirical hint. But if you ask anyone outside the US to paint a picture of how they think the US looks like it will certainly be something that looks and feels like GTA, and I honestly love it!
Actually, this isnt even satirical. Almost every scene in the trailer was inspired by actual floridians doing floridian things lol

Someone on twitter found all the references. Its hilarious. Florida is something else.

Meanwhile someone captured this a couple of hours after the trailer went live. apparently this is normal in Miami.

alloush

Actually, this isnt even satirical. Almost every scene in the trailer was inspired by actual floridians doing floridian things lol

Someone on twitter found all the references. Its hilarious. Florida is something else.

Meanwhile someone captured this a couple of hours after the trailer went live. apparently this is normal in Miami.

Oh my God this is pure Gold. I meant Satirical in the sense they are realistic with a hint of comedy/satire but everything is right on point. Florida is something else, in the trailer we see the Karens we need to see Florida Man!

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
There seem to be use of RT on specific surfaces. Console hardware is just not capable at this scale on everything, running all game logic we are seeing here . Their best bet is to use some kind of lumen system that also resolves reflections. But their GI system looks very solid .
There are RT reflections on some surfaces
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

icerock

I had to login after seeing that trailer. I've been disappointed on the visual front this gen, and I know I am not alone. The UE5 Demo promised so much but everything thus far has the last gen look and feel to it, even if they were only current gen.

But, GTA VI. It looks streets ahead of anything we have seen and I mean that sincerely. Folks will latch onto some demo and point out flaws but the overall presentation is unmatched. My jaw was on the floor as I was watching it, and I had to watch it few times to be sure it wasn't CG because my mind was unable to comprehend as to how surreal the graphics were. I just hope they can carry this to retail release, RDR2 has me confident they can. And, if there is one dev which deserves benefit of the doubt, it's Rockstar.

damidu

I had to login after seeing that trailer. I've been disappointed on the visual front this gen, and I know I am not alone. The UE5 Demo promised so much but everything thus far has the last gen look and feel to it, even if they were only current gen.

But, GTA VI. It looks streets ahead of anything we have seen and I mean that sincerely. Folks will latch onto some demo and point out flaws but the overall presentation is unmatched. My jaw was on the floor as I was watching it, and I had to watch it few times to be sure it wasn't CG because my mind was unable to comprehend as to how surreal the graphics were. I just hope they can carry this to retail release, RDR2 has me confident they can. And, if there is one dev which deserves benefit of the doubt, it's Rockstar.
yeah, i think most of it comes from godly animation work, it will be the next big fighting ground of game presentation i belive.

I feel like this comment is probably going over people's heads; Not only do they have to make an open world title, but they also have to make a whole multiplayer component for retail. The closest videogame project that can even compare in production to GTA is Call of Duty, and even then the production for GTA is still in a class of its own.

I almost forgot, and GTA has to ship on EVERY platform (besides mobile).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
yeah, i think most of it comes from godly animation work, it will be the next big fighting ground of game presentation i belive.
Yeah, people doesn't understand the value of animations now that graphic is starting to look super realistic.

You can have all the bells and whistles but good animations is what keep the facade from crumbling when you actually play the game.

Too bad that only rockstar and nd play on the same field while the other devs are a gen behind.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This looks super dated tbh
Disagree.

Cutscenes and that collection of scenes in the first 20 sec still look great.

Tbf i only watched the first 20 sec :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm not capable of calling tlou 2 "super-dated", their cutscenes and animations are still top tier.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As soon as gta6 comes out on pc.
Average pc chad:
-disables motion blur
-disables film grain
-disables chromatic abberration
-disables "piss filter" (there always is one even if there isn't)
-Disables post processing
-Disables TAA because "it's blurry"

"Meh... looks like shit. Overrated graphics" - adds oversharpened reshade preset on it - perfection.

Seriously.... every game. This trailer looks so good because it is full of post processing effects. That's why it looks so realistic

damidu

Yeah, people doesn't understand the value of animations now that graphic is starting to look super realistic.

You can have all the bells and whistles but good animations is what keep the facade from crumbling when you actually play the game.

Too bad that only rockstar and nd play on the same field while the other devs are a gen behind.
exactly yeah, people can compare this to cyberpunk pt at static shots.but it falls apart when the npcs start walking down the streets.
and cyberpunk itself is not that bad, when you have supposedly current gen stuff like starfield

agree rockstar and nd are in a league of their own on this front.
rockstar just needs to tweak their animation/ control response ratio a bit.

Top Bottom