• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

This is my fear. It is Ubisoft.

I mean it still got a big downgrade. So most of the criticism is still warranted.
While the object density is the same. The downgrade was in the lighting and shadowing, object quality and material quality.

As you can see, each of the actual plants/object had very thick and very rich triangle count. They look fuller. The material quality was also very high.
Heck I would take the lighting and shadowing downgrade (as what its downgraded to is still really really good) if they kept the same triangle counts and material quality on the objects. Or maybe its the other way around, idk.

I used to think that no one would catch up to epic, now I actually believe that most SOTA studios have/will.
Because when you look at performance (atleast for right now) it blows UE5 away.

In regards to object density, I would put UE5 at 10 and Snowdrops' Avatar at 9.
In regards to lighting/shadowing, UE5 has a upper hand at 9 while Avatar is at 7.
Then finally at Object Quality, I would put Avatar at 8 while UE5 is at 11 (yes breaking the scale!)
But here is where snowdrop destroys UE5 and that's when it comes to performance, UE5 is like at a 3-4 while Avatar is at a 9.

Snowdrop wins honestly

So others like Massive, Rockstar and Remedy have some what caught up to UE5.
But in the reveal AVATER trailer they showcased something that was:
Lighting & Shadowing - 10
Object Quality - 10

in the SOW trailer they showcased something even better with better character rendering, vfx and material rendering including 10 lighting/shadow and 10 object quality. So you are telling me that there will be minor downgrades (1 point?) Because 2 or more points is a major downgrade..

But yeah if SOW gets a minor/small downgrade across the board then i'm all for it.

Avatar started development in 2016 after division 1, star wars outlaws started development in 2020 of course star wars has better tech than unreal engine, and avatar got upgraded too in both character models, upper plains area, explosion avatar looks better in final product

Jokes and political opinions aside - I have zero interest in an Uncharted game with Nate's daughter - it almost, but not quite stupid as the idea of a God of War game centered around Atreus.

I think a large part of what made Uncharted so special, and unique from games like Tomb Raider was Nate's wit and personality, and his chemistry with other characters like Sullivan, Chloe and Elena. Other than Nate, I wouldn't mind playing as a young Sullivan in a prequel.

Yes! A young Sullivan is the only alternative for to Nate. Nates daughter? Come on man.

Avatar started development in 2016 after division 1, star wars outlaws started development in 2020 of course star wars has better tech than unreal engine, and avatar got upgraded too in both character models, upper plains area, explosion avatar looks better in final product
Avatar does not look better than the reveal trailer at all - which was marketed as being in game. It just looks as good or maybe in some cases slightly better than the trailers that came later

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
CSqXMOe.jpg

Oh shit. Here we go.

Serves them right for being so secretive about a game they revealed over 2 years ago. Hate that about this industry. Now we will see it in the worst possible light lol.

SlimySnake

he steals a tonne of content, as well as making really low effort videos, and his gta6 reaction is pure comedy

and his pfp makes me irrationally angry
I couldn’t finish it. He was wrong about everything. I’ve seen some retarded takes in my life but him shitting in the gta trailer for looking two gens behind while being absolutely convinced that everyone would find it dated was too cringe to watch.

This is what happens when you live in a bubble and have absolutely no idea what constitutes as good graphics.

SlimySnake

lol videos leaked. Some cutscenes looked good. Seems like standard insomniacs affair. Don’t expect anything truly next Gen from gameplay. Graphics could still be next Gen.

Its also not coming out anytime soon. 2026 according to leaked release dates. Venom is next which makes sense since it will likely be a miles like dlc game set in the same city. Spider-Man 3 is in 2028. Insane.

They are also making an xmen game in 2030.

CGNoire

lol videos leaked. Some cutscenes looked good. Seems like standard insomniacs affair. Don’t expect anything truly next Gen from gameplay. Graphics could still be next Gen.

Its also not coming out anytime soon. 2026 according to leaked release dates. Venom is next which makes sense since it will likely be a miles like dlc game set in the same city. Spider-Man 3 is in 2028. Insane.

They are also making an xmen game in 2030.
Whoops...
Fucking so Happy I saw this. Hype deflated at the confirmation of the over the shoulder camera and art style. One less game for me to have to worry or think about. How many more games in this exact template are we gonna keep getting now...is this it?

Just for clarity if Ravensofts 2008 game didnt exist this might have actually interested me a little.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
holy shit that looks awful (and the acting is hilariously bad)
btw, jsfilmz is a cunt
I was not talking about the acting, just the rendering.

And lol there is nothing awful in it, and i also said that i expected that to be the baseline, not the peak, if you think that character rendering is awful as current gen beseline you are crazy.

Sure for ps6 standards when more people are gonna use metahumans it probably not gonna look anything special anymore.

Last edited:

alloush

And lol there is nothing awful in it, and i also said that i expected that to be the baseline, not the peak, if you think that character rendering is awful as current gen beseline you are crazy.

Sure for ps6 standards when more people are gonna use metahumans it probably not gonna look anything special anymore.
Lol peeps in this thread are focusing on things like acting, graphics wise this looks better than any game out there. People can be hilarious in this thread. We're the only visionaries, Gym:messenger_winking_tongue:.

Last edited:

ckstine

I think it is unimpressive from a fidelity standpoint. Better than now, sure, but aesthetically, not great. The rendering isn't any better than what you'd see in a lot of cutscenes, but I don't see anyone here talking about halo 2 anniversary for that.

SlimySnake

So apparently spiderman 2 cost $300 million. Its crazy that a $300 million game reused the same city and skimped on providing next gen visuals. Miles cost $150 million. 7 hour DLC. $150 million.

I think someone at insomniac might be committing fraud lol If I was sony, i would do an audit.

If there is no fraud and these figures are accurate then there is no excuse for releasing these games without next gen assets.

Last edited:

sinnergy

So apparently spiderman 2 cost $300 million. Its crazy that a $300 million game reused the same city and skimped on providing next gen visuals. Miles cost $150 million. 7 hour DLC. $150 million.

I think someone at insomniac might be committing fraud lol If I was sony, i would do an audit.

If there is fraud and these figures are accurate then there is no excuse for releasing these games without next gen assets.
Just tells you how much today's games cost to make... are you surprised? What do you think all the R&D costs for all the rendering features in an open world game, would cost? I don't find this surprising at all. Sorry to say, just shows that most people on here have no clue.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just tells you how much today's games cost to make... are you surprised? What do you think all the R&D costs for all the rendering features in an open world game, would cost? I don't find this surprising at all. Sorry to say, just shows that most people on here have no clue.
Ok, lets do the math. Miles cost $150 million. Took 2 years to make. That means $75 million budget per year. Assuming 500 devs split between 2 studios working on Ratchet and Miles simultaneously, Lets say miles got 300 devs and ratchet 200.

So 300 devs $75 a year for 2 years. $150 million budget. Fine.

now lets apply this to rockstar. 3,000 devs working on ONE game for SEVEN years. $75 x 10 = $750 million budget to run Rockstar every year. RDR2 to GTA6 is a 7 year gap. 750*7 =5.2 BILLION DOLLARS.

Do you really believe GTA6 cost $5 billion? Especially when the gta leaks suggest $1-2 billion budget including marketing?

SlimySnake

yLOZrgl.jpg

From the Wolverine leak. Seem they're interested in pushing visuals beyond SM2.
This is basically a list of next gen features some thread regular might have created lol. Water physics, destruction, RTGI, dynamic weather, motion matching (hopefully), next gen character models after the disappointing Spiderman 2 faces.

This feels like their first true next gen game. Venom on the other hand, expect another DLC game set in NYC from insomniac.

SlimySnake

Destruction!
Dynamic Weather!
Animation fidelity!
Gore!

No mention of framerate

all music to my ears
Here is a pretty decent look at combat. i like that walls break, but the rest looks very average. hopefully, they have improved the gore and animations since. The sound effects of the blades might be placeholder, but if they dont show gore properly, it wont feel as hard hitting. I want to see flesh coming off of their bodies, clothes being ripped off etc.

Last edited:

If there is fraud and these figures are accurate then there is no excuse for releasing these games without next gen assets.
Cost of cinematic set pieces

GymWolf

Gold Member

This is the cost of the setpieces you like so much :messenger_kissing_smiling:

timothet

Ok, lets do the math. Miles cost $150 million. Took 2 years to make. That means $75 million budget per year. Assuming 500 devs split between 2 studios working on Ratchet and Miles simultaneously, Lets say miles got 300 devs and ratchet 200.

So 300 devs $75 a year for 2 years. $150 million budget. Fine.

now lets apply this to rockstar. 3,000 devs working on ONE game for SEVEN years. $75 x 10 = $750 million budget to run Rockstar every year. RDR2 to GTA6 is a 7 year gap. 750*7 =5.2 BILLION DOLLARS.

Do you really believe GTA6 cost $5 billion? Especially when the gta leaks suggest $1-2 billion budget including marketing?
Just for comparison: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty cost CDPR $86 million($21 million of that went to marketing) spread over 3 years. So almost half as much as Miles for twice the length of the game. I know this isn't exactly apples-to-apples as CDPR is still based in Europe, but still it's pretty crazy.

alloush

Here is a pretty decent look at combat. i like that walls break, but the rest looks very average. hopefully, they have improved the gore and animations since. The sound effects of the blades might be placeholder, but if they dont show gore properly, it wont feel as hard hitting. I want to see flesh coming off of their bodies, clothes being ripped off etc.

If this is a pre-alpha build then the graphics are pretty decent. Gta 6 leaked footage showed worse graphics if I remember correctly.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Honestly it's looking amazing and quite polished for a game that is supposedly 2+ years away.

Msamy

they did. GTA6 looked like a PS3 game. this looks like a PS4 game already so a new shiny coat of paint should make it look next gen.

With the art style they are going for, i hope it looks something like this;

4TqNNkj.gif

vb8o7bc.gif
Actually this leaked 3 gb (25 min) vertical slice gameplay video of wolverine looks better than any ps4 game and have good graphics

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

combat with big guy looks good. Even a bit soulsy

SlimySnake

Actually this leaked 3 gb (25 min) vertical slice gameplay video of wolverine looks better than any ps4 game and have good graphics
Did you watch this on your phone by any chance because on my big tv it looks like an average PS4 game at best. The intro bar looked ok, but the rest of the city and especially the forest area look bad by last gen standards. but this is pre-alpha footage so it should look way better in the final game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What's this im reading about a leak saying Wolverine only having a 60fps mode? Somebody on Era said thats the case. That cannot be true. It better not be true.

Msamy

Did you watch this on your phone by any chance because on my big tv it looks like an average PS4 game at best. The intro bar looked ok, but the rest of the city and especially the forest area look bad by last gen standards. but this is pre-alpha footage so it should look way better in the final game.
That's actually true I am currently not at my home yet, but I think it looks good the first 10 minutes at least and few moments in the city. And take in consideration this not 4k quality video , I think final game will have next gen graphics hope they don't disappointed. Me

SlimySnake

What's this im reading about a leak saying Wolverine only having a 60fps mode? Somebody on Era said thats the case. That cannot be true. It better not be true.
everything about the leak is true. if someone saw it then its true.

makes sense for insomniac. they dont want to push themselves too much and sticking with 60 fps helps justify smaller leaps in visual fidelity.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
everything about the leak is true. if someone saw it then its true.

makes sense for insomniac. they dont want to push themselves too much and sticking with 60 fps helps justify smaller leaps in visual fidelity.
sad, I was getting hyped. Hopfully they're talking about the ps5 pro having 60fps. i have no hope for visuals in the gifs you posted above if they are doing 60 only.
If Insomniac Games could get faster frames,does Wolverine need a quality mode at 30 fps?
Yes, they should be pushing fidelity instead of holding themselves back. No matter how good it looks at 60fps it will always look better at 30. Hopefully they are talking about the PS5 PRO version.

If there is no fraud and these figures are accurate then there is no excuse for releasing these games without next gen assets.
This is one of the reasons I think the visuals haven't taken a huge leap forward this gen (although to me there's still been some awesome looking games).

Better visuals = more art = more time = more money spent. Although something like SM2 only needs to sell 5 million copies at full price to make it's budget back (inside a week or two) then the rest is profit + however many people some of those kinds of exclusive cinematic games attract to your console platform then they get peoples money from PS+, digital game sales and a cut of all third party digital games, DLC and MT's which is where the real money is to be made.

From a financial point of view you could make the case that they can flush the $300 million down the toilet to develop a big name exclusive only to attract people to their platform which then means they get a cut of all the money people spend on Warzone and Fortnite.

Looks fun and very, very inspired by the God of War reboot combat. I'd rather that than a reskinned SM2 tbh.

icerock

I hope Insomniac budget leaks put things into perspective as to how ludicrously expensive AAA dev has gotten. $300m+ for a sequel is absolutely insane when it is using so much of work already done with its predecessor.

I wrote this a while ago, as consoles get more fancy tech, in order to put that tech to use i.e. put extra details in graphics, it costs a LOT of money. Money which these studios are running out of simply because of outrageous dev cost. Using GTA VI as a benchmark is a fools errand, I genuinely believe the $2B budget which was being touted.

Case in point. All the things which you are craving for require a lot more resources (both time + $$$) and considering how short the dev time are for these games, they simply cannot use the budget for bells and whistles like in the past. I think we are at a breaking point for AAA blockbuster games development. I think there is a ceiling which we have already hit when it comes to scope + tech which you can expect in a normal tentpole production. If you expect more, then it has to be an exceptional edge case like GTA VI or perhaps something like TLOU Part III in the future.

Top Bottom