• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

RaduN

Game was so good. And SO fucking hard as well.
Ninja Mastere'd it back then, 3 times i think. One of the greatest and fairest, insanely difficult hack and slash games ever made, though not without faults.
Never could MN Sigma 2 though. Even if it was easier overall, the significant alterations to the combat made the cheapness unbearable. I mean, off screen, non-signaled limbless enemy grab for instant death? No thank you mother fucking cheap/bad design.

I think Tlou p2 gore is better than Mortal Kombat. It feels more realistic and horrifying. In Mortal Kombat I only feel ridiculous and disturbing. So I would be happy if Wolverine can reach level of Tlou P2.

What are the chances that the next major Assassin's Creed title leverages the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine?

Say what you want about AC but I have always liked the franchise, even recent entries like Odyssey and Mirage, bar Mirage the rest of the games have always been lookers.

What are the chances that the next major Assassin's Creed title leverages the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine?

Say what you want about AC but I have always liked the franchise, even recent entries like Odyssey and Mirage, bar Mirage the rest of the games have always been lookers.
Anvil looks better than snowdrop, i don't they move engine

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yep. that engine is already great, just needs to be updated with next gen features. Massive is an 800 person team, but the Ubisoft AC teams are like 3-5k strong themselves. Im sure they have an R&D department updating their engine. The Far Cry team is using snowdrop because they arent as big as the AC teams and with snowdrop now featuring foliage and jungle areas, it makes no sense to have two different engines doing the same thing.

It will be interesting to see if its the Valhalla/Origin/Black Flag team working on AC 2024. I dont care much for the syndicate/Odyssey teams. Its a shame that the original AC2/Brotherhood team that did AC unity is now essentially a support studio to the Black Flag team. I always thought those guys understood how important it was to have good storytelling in an AC game. Say what you will about AC Unity, but the cutscenes and character models still hold up. Its also the last AC game that had a decent story.

sigrad

Forza Motorsport can look so nice and really pop in the right environment, 4k with DLAA at 60fps! Great HDR too.

This was an awesome race in my Celica vs a bunch of fast arse Lotuseseses

Forza-Motorsport-19-12-2023-23-53-33.png

Forza-Motorsport-19-12-2023-23-54-24.png
Love Forza but they dropped the ball hard with the graphics in FM8. It's still a washed out mess most of the time. RT sucks. Graphics constantly glitch when playing in RT mode. And, GT's car models are miles better than FM8. Pains me to say it.

geary

Yep. that engine is already great, just needs to be updated with next gen features. Massive is an 800 person team, but the Ubisoft AC teams are like 3-5k strong themselves. Im sure they have an R&D department updating their engine. The Far Cry team is using snowdrop because they arent as big as the AC teams and with snowdrop now featuring foliage and jungle areas, it makes no sense to have two different engines doing the same thing.

It will be interesting to see if its the Valhalla/Origin/Black Flag team working on AC 2024. I dont care much for the syndicate/Odyssey teams. Its a shame that the original AC2/Brotherhood team that did AC unity is now essentially a support studio to the Black Flag team. I always thought those guys understood how important it was to have good storytelling in an AC game. Say what you will about AC Unity, but the cutscenes and character models still hold up. Its also the last AC game that had a decent story.
Seems that the lead for AC Red is Ubisoft Montreal, the guys behind Valhalla.

Last edited:
No, Montreal was lead for Origin and Valhalla, while Québec was lead for Odyssey.

This is the next one from Montreal, Hexe

I have a deep interest in the occult and witchcraft so I'm eager to see what they're cooking up with Hex!

Dam that's a shame the team has been reduced to a support studio, hard to beleive. AC2 and Brotherhood still are the best AC games from a narrative and story perspective like you said. Combine that with the talent from the team that designed the open world and RPG elements of Odyssey or Origins and you'll have something special.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Feast!
Whether they actually deliver or not is one thing, but the fact that they state it as on of their goals means they are not as lazy about pushing visual fidelity as I feared.
Good news regardless of results.

SlimySnake

Great news, a Wolverine game with a strong sense of photo-realism will elevate it to another level, very suiting given the the nature of the character and narrative.

As for Insomniac, they somehow managed to blow $350 million on Spider-man 2, a game which lacked a micro-polygon rendering system, and a dynamic global illumination system for lighting, two of the most defining features of next-gen. A little annoying and almost embarrassing for a Playstation first party studio.

Better late than never I guess.
No way in hell SP2 cost $350 million. Someone at insomniac is lying. Just no way Miles cost $150 million when gow and hfw cost $200 million. no way in hell spiderman remastered cost $39 million when horizon 1 cost $47 million in 2017. someone is trying to pull a fast one on marvel.

And it will be interesting to see if they get close to HB2 visuals after what we've seen in the leaked demo. gta6 got an upgrade from its leaks but gta is targeting 30 fps while wolverine is 60 fps. its basically a 5 tflops game whereas ninja theory is literally using letterboxes to reduce their pixel load by 40%. all 12 tflops are going into rendering a 1620p 30 fps game whereas wolverine will be 1440p 60 fps like demon souls.

Also, insomniac aint no rockstar. expect ps4.5 quality graphics like ratchet at best. i dont care if they say they are spending $300 million on wolverine. they are not. half of the studio was working on spiderman 2 for the last two years while the other half worked on wolverine. it has two more years to go, but 250 people working on 4 years on a game dont cost $350 million. especially insomniac who take shortcuts all the time. hellblade 2 will look a generation ahead.

No way in hell SP2 cost $350 million. Someone at insomniac is lying. Just no way Miles cost $150 million when gow and hfw cost $200 million. no way in hell spiderman remastered cost $39 million when horizon 1 cost $47 million in 2017. someone is trying to pull a fast one on marvel.

And it will be interesting to see if they get close to HB2 visuals after what we've seen in the leaked demo. gta6 got an upgrade from its leaks but gta is targeting 30 fps while wolverine is 60 fps. its basically a 5 tflops game whereas ninja theory is literally using letterboxes to reduce their pixel load by 40%. all 12 tflops are going into rendering a 1620p 30 fps game whereas wolverine will be 1440p 60 fps like demon souls.

Also, insomniac aint no rockstar. expect ps4.5 quality graphics like ratchet at best. i dont care if they say they are spending $300 million on wolverine. they are not. half of the studio was working on spiderman 2 for the last two years while the other half worked on wolverine. it has two more years to go, but 250 people working on 4 years on a game dont cost $350 million. especially insomniac who take shortcuts all the time. hellblade 2 will look a generation ahead.
From that logic ubisoft Assassin's creed Valhalla must cost more than 1 billion

Maybe they said the budgets were lower for horizon than they were ? And crunch is a big hot button thing - that would add expenses -or maybe they just pay their devs super well compared to other places. Plus it’s making a game in 2020 vs 2016 or whatever. I just don’t see why they’d lie in a leaked document. I don’t see how Marvel wouldn’t be aware if they were pumping up the budget 100 million dollars.

It is baffling they wouldn’t update the city if that’s the case then - and fucked up a lot of the cutscene character models. They really half assed it if it’s actually the 300 million dollars they spent on that. It’s like an 18 hour game as well.

EDIT: also - no way in hell they are abandoning a 30 fps option. That makes no sense when they haven’t done that on any game they’ve released in the early generation

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I need the brilliant minds of the GFT to help me for a moment, i was playing days gone on pc no problem, then today the game all of a sudden started stuttering\going off tempo with the audio during any cutscenes, it basically ruin every cutscene, ingame is still perfect.
The game is not modded and it's the steam version.

I tried the files check on steam, disabling fullscreen optimization, running the game as administrator but nothing changed.

Now i unistalled the game and i'm reinstalling again, after that my bag of tricks is gonna be empty, any non-complicated idea on what to do? the game was flawless for like 20 hours before today.

sigrad

Ninja Mastere'd it back then, 3 times i think. One of the greatest and fairest, insanely difficult hack and slash games ever made, though not without faults.
Never could MN Sigma 2 though. Even if it was easier overall, the significant alterations to the combat made the cheapness unbearable. I mean, off screen, non-signaled limbless enemy grab for instant death? No thank you mother fucking cheap/bad design.
I just barely beat that shit on normal.

SlimySnake

Maybe they said the budgets were lower for horizon than they were ? And crunch is a big hot button thing - that would add expenses -or maybe they just pay their devs super well compared to other places. Plus it’s making a game in 2020 vs 2016 or whatever. I just don’t see why they’d lie in a leaked document. I don’t see how Marvel wouldn’t be aware if they were pumping up the budget 100 million dollars.

It is baffling they wouldn’t update the city if that’s the case then - and fucked up a lot of the cutscene character models. They really half assed it if it’s actually the 300 million dollars they spent on that. It’s like an 18 hour game as well.

EDIT: also - no way in hell they are abandoning a 30 fps option. That makes no sense when they haven’t done that on any game they’ve released in the early generation
Nah, they inflated the budgets for HFW too. There was a dutch news agency that did a report on HFW and said it was the most expensive Dutch production at $112 million euros. Then a year later, Sony tells FTC that HFW cost $200 million before marketing. Sure.

it seems insomniac is doing the same. 2016 to 2020 has seen inflation rise by like 8%. The costs have risen by 400%. Makes no sense.

Again, just take one look at Spiderman remastered costing $39 million and you just know its bullshit. Alan Wake 2 cant cost $50 million euros in 2023 if a fucking PS5 port costs $39 million in 2020. besides, all the RT work and the new $150 million Peter face was done for Miles. the city's traffic density and NPC density was updated for miles. Which is basically turning up sliders but lets say all of that work cost $156 million for miles, why did spiderman remastered cost $39 million on top of that?

What we do know is that marvel is forcing them to spend over a hundred million on these games to ensure they are AAA quality. I wouldnt be surprised if they are fooling Marvel with these inflated budgets. No one in their right minds would agree that ratchet would cost $30 million more than Alan Wake 2 when it took 2 years to make compared to 4 for AW2. Even if you take cost of living increases into account, the difference shouldnt be that high.

GOW Ragnorak is another great example. Sony said it took $200 million. 5x more than GOW3 back in the day using a similar size team. inflation has risen 41%. But costs have risen 400%? Again, it makes no sense. But if GOW costs $200 million to make over 4.5 years then how does spiderman 2 cost $300 million reusing assets and only starting full production after ratchet shipped 2.5 years ago? especially when half of the team is working on wovlerine during this time.

SlimySnake

I need the brilliant minds of the GFT to help me for a moment, i was playing days gone on pc no problem, then today the game all of a sudden started stuttering\going off tempo with the audio during any cutscenes, it basically ruin every cutscene, ingame is still perfect.
The game is not modded and it's the steam version.

I tried the files check on steam, disabling fullscreen optimization, running the game as administrator but nothing changed.

Now i unistalled the game and i'm reinstalling again, after that my bag of tricks is gonna be empty, any non-complicated idea on what to do? the game was flawless for like 20 hours before today.
Try this.

Msamy

here we go. Whats everyone top 5 or top 10 best graphics of the year?

For me before it's even released I consider avatar is the best looking game of the year and after it alan wake 2, cyberpunk path tracing mode and robocop, those 4 games are true next gen games for me , they are in different level graphically than any game released this year.

Last edited:

hinch7

From the games I've played this year... and probably in this order

Alan Wake 2 - PC
Cyberpunk 2077 + Phantom Liberty - PC
Spiderman 2 - PS5
FFXVI - PS5
The Last of Us Part 1 (Remake) - PC

Have to agree with DF here... Avatar is the best looking game this year. The amount of detail in that game, with decent lighting and asset quality with all that foliage is mesmerising and it looks/runs great on consoles too.

Last edited:

Alex11

here we go. Whats everyone top 5 or top 10 best graphics of the year?

- 1 CP 2077 + PL- no contest for me, they even mention that one reason is DF political, as they already gave it first place, which is BS, and another reason that apparently is valid only for CP.
- 2 Avatar
- 3 Alan Wake 2
- 4 Horizon FW: BS
- 5 Final Fantasy XVI

Nah, they inflated the budgets for HFW too. There was a dutch news agency that did a report on HFW and said it was the most expensive Dutch production at $112 million euros. Then a year later, Sony tells FTC that HFW cost $200 million before marketing. Sure.

it seems insomniac is doing the same. 2016 to 2020 has seen inflation rise by like 8%. The costs have risen by 400%. Makes no sense.

Again, just take one look at Spiderman remastered costing $39 million and you just know its bullshit. Alan Wake 2 cant cost $50 million euros in 2023 if a fucking PS5 port costs $39 million in 2020. besides, all the RT work and the new $150 million Peter face was done for Miles. the city's traffic density and NPC density was updated for miles. Which is basically turning up sliders but lets say all of that work cost $156 million for miles, why did spiderman remastered cost $39 million on top of that?

What we do know is that marvel is forcing them to spend over a hundred million on these games to ensure they are AAA quality. I wouldnt be surprised if they are fooling Marvel with these inflated budgets. No one in their right minds would agree that ratchet would cost $30 million more than Alan Wake 2 when it took 2 years to make compared to 4 for AW2. Even if you take cost of living increases into account, the difference shouldnt be that high.

GOW Ragnorak is another great example. Sony said it took $200 million. 5x more than GOW3 back in the day using a similar size team. inflation has risen 41%. But costs have risen 400%? Again, it makes no sense. But if GOW costs $200 million to make over 4.5 years then how does spiderman 2 cost $300 million reusing assets and only starting full production after ratchet shipped 2.5 years ago? especially when half of the team is working on wovlerine during this time.
Well I don’t know the budget breakdown of video game production - I come from the film world. But using movies - Alan Wake would be closer to a mid-budget independent film and Sm remastered or ratchet would be a lower budget studio movie. Like for instance - the new Indiana Jones cost 300 million. But then you have something like an A24 film that costs in the 2 million to 30 million range. I could definitely see a world where there’s a similar disparity. And considering how important motion capture, set pieces and actors have been to Sony lately, I’m betting that second to none production value has seriously pumped up budgets from the GOW 3 days - plus the added complexity of improved graphical capability/detail, RT and accessibility options.

GOW ragnarok also seems to reuse a lot of the assets from 2018 and at least part of that team was working on the new SSM project. You could be right but I definitely see a world where they are just splurging and paying developers a lot more to make these games. It doesn’t NEED to cost that much - but it’s not far fetched imo that it did.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I am surprised at the lack of any kind of mention for Forza and Starfield. At least the PC versions which look absolutely stunning at times. I dont know how they included Robocop and FF16, both of which looks stunning at times and extremely mediocre other times, but dont do the same for Forza and Starfield.

They have gone absolutely mad. Super Mario Odyssey and Hifi Rush over Forza, Hogwarts, Atomic Heart, Dead Island 2, mortal kombat 1, and Starfield? Madness.
- 1 CP 2077 + PL- no contest for me, they even mention that one reason is DF political, as they already gave it first place, which is BS, and another reason that apparently is valid only for CP.
- 2 Avatar
- 3 Alan Wake 2
- 4 Horizon FW: BS
- 5 Final Fantasy XVI
What do you mean? I cant tell if you are angry at DF for giving it third place or angry that it shouldnt count since it was already given first place a few years ago?

I dont know why Cyberpunk is included in this. its DLC. The city is largely the same. The new area is barely any different let alone comparable to full fledged games. If we are to include Cyberpunk, then we should include Horizon burning shores, callisto protocol, GOW Ragnorak and other games that had DLCs released this year. Especially considering they picked fucking Super Mario Odyssey and Hifi Rush over these games.

Having a new lighting engine like Path Tracing is like putting lipstick on a pig. The game still has those last gen assets, last gen animations, and all the other flaws that Matrix has since fixed. had they remade the whole game like RE4, Demon Souls, and SoTC then id understand. Updating the lighting to path tracing simply shouldnt be enough to warrant anything more than an honorable mention when so many games this year went and did far more things graphically from scratch. Might as well include Witcher 3's RT patch in the top 3. I think it released this year as well.

If Nixxes manages to add RTGI to Horizon FW next year on PC, should they include it in the top 3? Eh.

Msamy

After watching many videos of wolverine pc unfinshed build some places in it looked better than spidermam 2, also the first leaked 25 min video is looked different and more finished than pc build may be recorded by developer himself in ps5 before got hacked

Last edited:
1. AW2 - only game that I literally couldn’t tell if it was pre-rendered at points so it gets the top spot. Although admittedly it’s very uneven and the overall package isn’t as strong as number 2.
2. Avatar - the forest in this looks better than any video game ever made, makes Horizons foliage look a gen behind. Lighting is also largely amazing. Character models are good - not great. Things like fire fx kinda suck, animation is not on the level of Sony first party - and the pop in while flying knocks it down.
3. Horizon - Burning shores, slightly better graphics than forbidden west. Character models and animation are second to none for an open world game, new cloud tech looks great. Overall just a greaf looking game.
4. Spider man - especially at certain times of Day - it looks incredible. Practically no pop in. Good reflections on buildings. And the section where you’re at Kravens party in a NY hotel looks amazing, and his tiger, knocks against it are that the character models are all over the place and sometimes worse than in Miles Morales.
5. Starfield - very uneven, with some parts that are straight up bad, but the interiors in ships and the asset quality on objects as well as interactivity with those objects definitely gives it a next gen look. This and SM2 are interchangeable in position to me.
6. FF16 - uneven but a certain points has a very CG quality to it. At others it doesn’t look amazing though.
7. Jedi Survivor - genuinely surprised me this looked so good at points, and maybe that’s due to low expectations, but the lighting and certain scenes looked very good to my eyes. Possibly better than FF16 as a whole.
8. Robocop - the city environments when you’re on the ground look better than anything out there - and has great destruction, character models and indoors it looks like shit tho imo

Last edited:

Lethal01

They have gone absolutely mad. Super Mario Odyssey and Hifi Rush over Forza, Hogwarts, Atomic Heart, Dead Island 2, mortal kombat 1, and Starfield? Madness.

They must be looking at it not from a purely technical standpoint, in which case, Hifi rush absolutely stomps dead island, atom, star thing, hogwarts and forza

SlimySnake

They must be looking at it not from a purely technical standpoint, in which case, Hifi rush absolutely stomps dead island, atom, star thing, hogwarts and forza
eh. cartoony doesnt always equal great art design. its a very average looking game. same goes for mario. all you have to do is watch the mario movie to see just how far behind Mario games are even if they target that cartoony art style.

hifi rush looks better, but it should not be in any best graphics list over the other games i mentioned.

Lethal01

eh. cartoony doesnt always equal great art design. its a very average looking game. same goes for mario. all you have to do is watch the mario movie to see just how far behind Mario games are even if they target that cartoony art style.

hifi rush looks better, but it should not be in any best graphics list over the other games i mentioned.

I liked mario wonders more than the movies, much more unique style than the usual pizar light and fun animations.
Hifi rush may not be the peabk of rtylization, but still far better than dead island, alan wake or forza

I liked mario wonders more than the movies, much more unique style than the usual pizar light and fun animations.
Hifi rush may not be the peabk of rtylization, but still far better than dead island, alan wake or forza
I don’t get this at all. Hifi rush looks good for a cell shaded game but it’s not doing anything all that impressive - it could’ve been on xbox 360 and not looked all that different. Same with Wonder. They’re not graphical showcases regardless of whether people love the art style.

Lethal01

I don’t get this at all. Hifi rush looks good for a cell shaded game but it’s not doing anything all that impressive - it could’ve been on xbox 360 and not looked all that different. Same with Wonder. They’re not graphical showcases regardless of whether people love the art style.

Like I said I can only assume they are just talking about visuals rather than pure graphics which is why Mario also deserves to be on the list. That said if you cant see how far it is from what we were doing in the 360 generation you are simply blind. I'm not saying its mind blowing graphically, but you pulled out the "PS3 graphics" so nah

Last edited:

blue velvet

Doesnt look oversaturated to me, i dont like the boring vanilla look.
it is, just look how the blacked level is crushed during night. And it has this weird bluish and extreme reddish orange tint which is unnatural. You are losing a lot of details because of it. If you prefer it that way, nothing wrong with that I suppose. All these reshade mods are absolute doodoo though, they do nothing but ruin the image and strain the user's eyes.

Top Bottom