• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

sigrad

I really hope they make Wolverine gory like it should be when you have freaking claws as a weapon. Or will Ninja Gaiden 2 remain king

ng2_9448_screen.jpg
Game was so good. And SO fucking hard as well.

What's this im reading about a leak saying Wolverine only having a 60fps mode? Somebody on Era said thats the case. That cannot be true. It better not be true.
You really thought some B list clowns like insomniac who will have COD/fifa esque annual releases from 2027-2029 were gonna deliver the goods?;)

Oh Represent… disappointment is unfortunately an intrinsic part of life

Last edited:
I hope Insomniac budget leaks put things into perspective as to how ludicrously expensive AAA dev has gotten. $300m+ for a sequel is absolutely insane when it is using so much of work already done with its predecessor.

I wrote this a while ago, as consoles get more fancy tech, in order to put that tech to use i.e. put extra details in graphics, it costs a LOT of money. Money which these studios are running out of simply because of outrageous dev cost. Using GTA VI as a benchmark is a fools errand, I genuinely believe the $2B budget which was being touted.

Case in point. All the things which you are craving for require a lot more resources (both time + $$$) and considering how short the dev time are for these games, they simply cannot use the budget for bells and whistles like in the past. I think we are at a breaking point for AAA blockbuster games development. I think there is a ceiling which we have already hit when it comes to scope + tech which you can expect in a normal tentpole production. If you expect more, then it has to be an exceptional edge case like GTA VI or perhaps something like TLOU Part III in the future.
I mean I think we’re already seeing the effects. Your big worthwhile blockbusters that push tech have gotten fewer and fewer and fewer since the PS360 days. I too wonder what will happen if/when the bubble burst.

I’d like to see shorter cheaper games that look like matrix demo but maybe don’t have goddamn fully voice acted and mo capped obscure side missions and shit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope Insomniac budget leaks put things into perspective as to how ludicrously expensive AAA dev has gotten. $300m+ for a sequel is absolutely insane when it is using so much of work already done with its predecessor.

I wrote this a while ago, as consoles get more fancy tech, in order to put that tech to use i.e. put extra details in graphics, it costs a LOT of money. Money which these studios are running out of simply because of outrageous dev cost. Using GTA VI as a benchmark is a fools errand, I genuinely believe the $2B budget which was being touted.

Case in point. All the things which you are craving for require a lot more resources (both time + $$$) and considering how short the dev time are for these games, they simply cannot use the budget for bells and whistles like in the past. I think we are at a breaking point for AAA blockbuster games development. I think there is a ceiling which we have already hit when it comes to scope + tech which you can expect in a normal tentpole production. If you expect more, then it has to be an exceptional edge case like GTA VI or perhaps something like TLOU Part III in the future.
I think these are fake numbers. Games are expensive to make but not that expensive. see my breakdown above.

And games like Avatar and AW2 were able to offer that next gen leap with that extra level of detail without breaking the bank. Insomniac is just being lazy. they have the money, but they chose not to upgrade their city. Back in the day, every game would come with a brand new city. Insomniac hasnt done that for the last two spiderman games so it makes no sense to see such a high budget for it.

For reference, GOW, Horizon and TLOU2 cost $200 million. How can Miles cost $150 million compared to those massive full fledged games that took 3-5 years to make?

I think these are fake numbers. Games are expensive to make but not that expensive. see my breakdown above.

And games like Avatar and AW2 were able to offer that next gen leap with that extra level of detail without breaking the bank. Insomniac is just being lazy. they have the money, but they chose not to upgrade their city. Back in the day, every game would come with a brand new city. Insomniac hasnt done that for the last two spiderman games so it makes no sense to see such a high budget for it.

For reference, GOW, Horizon and TLOU2 cost $200 million. How can Miles cost $150 million compared to those massive full fledged games that took 3-5 years to make?
Possible blackrock cash injections for the amount of wokeness in their games? I’m being dead serious. I feel like that’s actually a possible explanation

At the very least, Some investor out there who rewards woke pandering may be giving them some extra dough

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Game was so good. And SO fucking hard as well.

I think I'll eventually get an Xbox series S just to play the oldies like Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 honestly. NG2 was so crunchy, when it started to click with the combat it was like a dance of blood and limbs everywhere on screen, it was so good.

GymWolf

Gold Member
We live in a world where fucking dead island 2, barely an AAA(?) made by a nobody team is gonna have 100x times better gore than fucking wolverine made by a sony first party.

I know the gore is gonna be there, but you people know that it's not gonna be even close to di2 or even ds remake level of gore.

I hope ND is not gonna shit the bed with their violence tech in tlou3.

Btw i just bought days gone on pc, any hint to improve the graphic?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
We live in a world where fucking dead island 2, barely an AAA(?) made by a nobody team is gonna have 100x times better gore than fucking wolverine made by a sony first party.

I know the gore is gonna be there, but you people know that it's not gonna be even close to di2 or even ds remake level of gore.

I hope ND is not gonna shit the bed with their violence tech in tlou3.

Btw i just bought days gone on pc, any hint to improve the graphic?
We have to wait and see tbh, they still have 2 years if we go by the leaks. I would also add MK in that good gore list, if IG can match those than im more than happy.
alexandre-grenier-marcil-kunglao-bodysplitblood.gif

alexandre-grenier-marcil-kabal-faceblood2.gif

alexandre-grenier-marcil-kunglao-meatgrinderblood2.gif

alexandre-grenier-marcil-kabal-bloodsplits2.gif

alexandre-grenier-marcil-shaokahn-bodysplit-bloodslomo2.gif

While I totally agree, Sony should be the one publisher that can eat the costs. Their big AAA tentpole games are the biggest reason why their hardware sells so well. Even if they theoretically operated at a loss on their software sales, they would more than make up for it in their hardware, subscription, and Microtransactions parts of the business. The problem for Sony isn't about not being profitable, it's about not being as profitable as previous generations. Console gaming is growing at a snails pace

Last edited:

SlimySnake

From that dev interview I found that you can go above the clouds in Avatar like in Horizon Burning Shores.

So did that today and wow, it looks pretty damn good. Horizon looks better but this looks absolutely gorgeous even above the clouds. And the clouds are dynamic and constantly moving unlike in Horizon.

q4f0G4f.gif

YMRCXLI.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, Wolverine isnt a game that should be aiming to be super gorey constantly regardless, should have moments of gore, thats all.
Wolverine should have state of the art marks and gore on enemies, it's one of the peculiar things about a damn wolverine title, let's not even joke here, maybe not all the time but very present and not just "moments".

A great studio should create different animations and behaviours for enemies when they lose an arm or a leg but they continue fighting for a bit and every strike shoould have a visible conseguence on every trash enemy (maybe not the armoured ones for gameplay reasons), but i hardly see any of that coming...

Sony is not a kiddy brand like disney, they make fucking tlou2, no reason in the world to not give wolverine fans the gore they expect.

Last edited:

Alex11

From that dev interview I found that you can go above the clouds in Avatar like in Horizon Burning Shores.

So did that today and wow, it looks pretty damn good. Horizon looks better but this looks absolutely gorgeous even above the clouds. And the clouds are dynamic and constantly moving unlike in Horizon.

q4f0G4f.gif

YMRCXLI.gif
I don't know, from these gifs, Horizon's clouds look much, much better. This looks a bit cartoony, they're too white and the lack of shadows makes it look like they have no volume.

SlimySnake

LMAO Leaked slides show Wolverine will be 60 fps. They wont even commit to a 30 fps fidelity mode.

IMG_4194.png

If this isnt Insomniac waving a big white flag and conceding that they dont have the talent or ambition to push visual fidelity, i dont know what is. Sadly, i think this is going to be the norm going forward at other Sony studios like ND, SSM and even GG. These guys no longer seem to be pushing visual fidelity and are happy making games for a 5 tflops console then using the remaining 5 tflops to push an extra 30 fps.

We all thought Series S and its 4 tlfops would hold back this gen, but I dont think we ever imagined devs like Bluepoint, Insomniac, Square Enix's FF7 team, and ND releasing 60 fps games essentially turning the PS5 into a series s.

Thank god for third party studios like Remedy and Massive. They still have some desire and ambition to push the fidelity and simulations. First party studios are done.

SlimySnake

I don't know, from these gifs, Horizon's clouds look much, much better. This looks a bit cartoony, they're too white and the lack of shadows makes it look like they have no volume.
Yeah, i did say Horizon's cloud look better.

This is still very impressive because horizon doesnt render foliage up in the sky. its just an empty canvas with some static clouds. Here the clouds are moving constantly, the floating islands are explorable and combine to produce visuals unlike anything ive seen this gen.

One thing they said was that while its raining, you can get on an ikran and fly above the weather in realtime. I will try that next. its insane to think about.

LMAO Leaked slides show Wolverine will be 60 fps. They wont even commit to a 30 fps fidelity mode.

IMG_4194.png

If this isnt Insomniac waving a big white flag and conceding that they dont have the talent or ambition to push visual fidelity, i dont know what is. Sadly, i think this is going to be the norm going forward at other Sony studios like ND, SSM and even GG. These guys no longer seem to be pushing visual fidelity and are happy making games for a 5 tflops console then using the remaining 5 tflops to push an extra 30 fps.

We all thought Series S and its 4 tlfops would hold back this gen, but I dont think we ever imagined devs like Bluepoint, Insomniac, Square Enix's FF7 team, and ND releasing 60 fps games essentially turning the PS5 into a series s.

Thank god for third party studios like Remedy and Massive. They still have some desire and ambition to push the fidelity and simulations. First party studios are done.
I’ve been saying this since 2021 but people didn’t wanna listen…

PeteBull

Tekken 8 isnt using nanite or lumen despite being on UE5.

Decent upgrade still.
tRDdnZF.jpg
And it was mentioned, one of the devs, to john from DF, that its coz they can keep game 1440p60 stable coz of that choice, heavily implaying if they used lumen and nanite game couldnt hold those res/fps targets :)

PeteBull

Dunno if u missed it guys, but DF finally admited, after a while, xgen gt7 looks much better and "next gen" from new forza.

Many of us saw it when forza launched that the "next gen" look from the trailers was completely gone, despite it only being current gen it looks visibly worse from gt7 and forza horizon5 that are older and obviously very crossgen.

shamoomoo

IMG_4194.png

Wolverine is a smaller world game and outside of ray tracing/path tracing, I'm Sure texture quality is going to be top notch and that leaves animations and soft body physics;which I'm sure is going to be money.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

IMG_4194.png

Fucking disgusting.

The amount of bitching and moaning from these goddamn framerate warriors and people who insist graphics don’t matter are why we’re here.

People who are ok with ps4 looking games like rise of the ronin and all from soft games.

Look at the main forum. You have people calling me out for shitting on Team Ninjas Rise of the Ronin graphics

As if it looks good lmao.

So they give spiderman 2 every mode under the sun and can’t even commit to a fidelity mode for Wolverine?

This shit better just be brainstorming. I can’t see them being this dumb. It must have a fidelity mode. If it doesn’t i straight up won’t play it until they patch it in.

Thank god for Rockstar. They seem to be the only big dev left pushing fidelity

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

q4f0G4f.gif

YMRCXLI.gif
I wish I had a pc thst could run this on ultra

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
While I totally agree, Sony should be the one publisher that can eat the costs. Their big AAA tentpole games are the biggest reason why their hardware sells so well. Even if they theoretically operated at a loss on their software sales, they would more than make up for it in their hardware, subscription, and Microtransactions parts of the business. The problem for Sony isn't about not being profitable, it's about not being as profitable as previous generations. Console gaming is growing at a snails pace
It only stands to reason that they would plateau or even move to decrease investment into first party titles where possible and maximize the usefulness of their time by focusing on sufficiently large titles to boot.

A natural plateau will inevitably be found at some stage, but there's still a lot of juice to be squeezed out of these games... Wolverine already looks good graphically, and even has some destruction going for it, but I wish the scale was larger.

Alex11

Yeah, i did say Horizon's cloud look better.

This is still very impressive because horizon doesnt render foliage up in the sky. its just an empty canvas with some static clouds. Here the clouds are moving constantly, the floating islands are explorable and combine to produce visuals unlike anything ive seen this gen.
I always praise the cloud system in Horizon, but this is my gripe also with it, they made the clouds static, sometimes it feels weird. I'm curious if they'll maybe make them a bit more dynamic in the PC version, I highly doubt it, but still.
One thing they said was that while its raining, you can get on an ikran and fly above the weather in realtime. I will try that next. its insane to think about.
Yeah, that is indeed interesting.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Dunno if u missed it guys, but DF finally admited, after a while, xgen gt7 looks much better and "next gen" from new forza.

Many of us saw it when forza launched that the "next gen" look from the trailers was completely gone, despite it only being current gen it looks visibly worse from gt7 and forza horizon5 that are older and obviously very crossgen.

"On console". The pc version does look better tho, but you need a high end pc. The difference between pc and console version of FM is getting bigger every update. And i said this also in the other thread, only 30% of his comparison is good. The other 70% are in photomode where GT7 gets serious enhancements which doesn't happen in FM photomode. But i agree with him on his final verdict, GT7 on PS5 looks better than FM (2023) on XSX. The downgrade and buggy release also didn't help FM after those "gameplay trailer" they showed last year. You would expect a game that took 6 years to "build from the ground up" on a similar powered console to look better in almost every way compared to a cross gen game that released a year earlier. T10 took a big L with this one on console and pc for the buggy release and downgraded graphics. The game looks still very good on pc after the latest patches and will look even better with the RTGI update.

CGNoire

IMG_4194.png

"Realistic but not Glorified Violence"

Ugggghhhhh.....more moralizing.

I bet money every single one of these devs have no problem watching Tarantino, Kill Bill etc but "We must protect the Children"

Please Fuck Off with this Shit.

This should show people that modern games are far more about how talented your artists are and how much time you give them versus hardware power or if they're cross gen.

I bet money every single one of these devs have no problem watching Tarantino, Kill Bill etc but "We must protect the Children"

Why is it a surprise that a $300 million game based on a Marvel character is going to tone down the potential violence on show so that it will encourage little Timmy's mom to buy it for him even if it's rated R/18?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Why is it a surprise that a $300 million game based on a Marvel character is going to tone down the potential violence on show so that it will encourage little Timmy's mom to buy it for him even if it's rated R/18?
Because FUCK Timmy. Kids need to know that not everything is FOR them. go play fornite you little shits and let us adults play adult games. Deadpool is rated R and has grotesque violence and is better for it. The last Wolverine movie was also rated R for this very reason, and adults made it the most successful wolverine movie at the box office.

insomniac should be targeting a Mature rating, and yes, the game NEEDS to be ultra violent because thats literally who the character is. If they wanted to make another goody two shoes superhero movie, i hear Captain America is available.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Insomniac has been making spiderman, ratchet and clank and sunset overdrive forever. They don’t have a mean bone in their body.

Naughty dog went from uncharted to the last of us and delivered the most beautifully brutal dark game of all time in TLOU 2.

Insomniac, please please take some notes. Make this game mean.

CGNoire

This should show people that modern games are far more about how talented your artists are and how much time you give them versus hardware power or if they're cross gen.

No suprise just disapointment.

Senua

Gold Member
Forza Motorsport can look so nice and really pop in the right environment, 4k with DLAA at 60fps! Great HDR too.

This was an awesome race in my Celica vs a bunch of fast arse Lotuseseses

Forza-Motorsport-19-12-2023-23-53-33.png

Forza-Motorsport-19-12-2023-23-54-24.png

ChiefDada

Gold Member

IMG_4194.png

This is a real head scratcher. The other day I tried SM2 at 60fps just to see how it looked and it really took a lot of the glamour away. Pop-in was much more aggressive and there's an obvious downgrade in image stability. For them to even think about committing to 60fps and abandoning 30fps on base PS5 is so bizarre to me. Let people who absolutely need to play at 60fps grab a Pro console or wait for PC release.

Lethal01

Sounds perfect, Wolverine should have violence, but its not mortal combat or deadpool where you need to be focusing on highlighting it.
outside or some key moments.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member
Sounds perfect, Wolverine should have violence, but its not mortal combat or deadpool where you need to be focusing on highlighting it.

I feel that I really wouldn't want to play a gory Wolverine game. I mean, realistically he could make mince out of anyone with those six sharp blades. Or cut someone's limbs off and juggle them. But I personally don't see the added entertainment value in that, I'd be pretty disgusted. I think if you want true gore then a Marvel game maybe isn't the best choice.

CGNoire

They said it will be somewhere "Between" GOW2018 (a game where most enemies Bleed Orange Gatorade) and TLOU1&2.

Considering there target is "between those 2 meaning lower than TLOU1&2 suggests that a game where you play a human teenage girl will be more gory & violent when compared too.....(checks notes) Wolverine.

Hunnybun

This is a real head scratcher. The other day I tried SM2 at 60fps just to see how it looked and it really took a lot of the glamour away. Pop-in was much more aggressive and there's an obvious downgrade in image stability. For them to even think about committing to 60fps and abandoning 30fps on base PS5 is so bizarre to me. Let people who absolutely need to play at 60fps grab a Pro console or wait for PC release.

How about people who need maximum "fidelity" wait for the PC release? Why should they always be prioritised?

SlimySnake

o8fDk3o.gif

CgDWCCQ.gif

The second area uses wind simulations and it affects everything from the trees to grass and you ikran flying speeds. i can definitely see them reusing the same tech in Star Wars Outlaws.

SimTourist

Forza Motorsport can look so nice and really pop in the right environment, 4k with DLAA at 60fps! Great HDR too.

This was an awesome race in my Celica vs a bunch of fast arse Lotuseseses

Forza-Motorsport-19-12-2023-23-53-33.png

Forza-Motorsport-19-12-2023-23-54-24.png
The interior materials are really poor, as well as obviously bad polygon meshes with warping. Also a generic sky reflection in the cockpit when it should be reflecting the interior and the driver.

Last edited:

Lethal01

a game where you play a human teenage girl will be more gory & violent when compared too.....(checks notes) Wolverine.

TLOU2 ir abot mowing down hordes of zombies and humans with weaponr that are just as deadly as any claw, there is no reason to pretend kod beating TLOU means you arent more than GOry enough.

The extreme gore should bi happening to wolverine, to show off his healing, otherwise he is th same as any other blade wielding character.

Rheon

That tekken 8 shot is from the reveal trailer which now we all know has been downgraded. Its better looking than T7 yeah but it isnt that good like in the image. There are no sweats or veins in the finalized product:

No, the image on the left from Slimy's post is in fact from the final game. It comes from this DF video (timestamped):

Top Bottom